NARS Eyeshadows?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey girls,

What do you all think about NARS eyeshadows? I've just arranged a swap for NARS Iceland eyeshadow duo. I've heard its really sheer but i don't mind because someone told me if you use it over MAC Greensmoke its to die for!

*runs away all excited*

Well, some of the shadows like Nite Star are really sheer and so not worth the expense and some of the duos I've tried tend to be a little bit on the frosty side. Overall, they're pretty nice as far as texture goes, but just too darn expensive in my opinion.
icon_confused.gif

Ok.. i'm glad i'm swapping for Iceland so & not buying it! I've heard NARS raised all their prices recently actually *ggrrr*

I have a couple and they're nothing to write home about. I do love the packing of all NARS stuff though.

I like them, but agree that they're nothing to hem & haw over. The pigmentation is semi-sheer--all depends on the brush & how heavy-handed the user is--but lasts fairly long.

NARS e/s are definitely something I'd swap for & not buy. I'd buy an Armani e/s first before I bought NARS.

i really want to like nars in general because its all swanky and the packaging is very nice. heh.

ive tried several of the shadows, and some are really crap. my fave color is night fairy, so of couse it has really sheer pigment and crap staying power. i have to pack it on in layers with my finger and even then it only lasts a few hours. im none of those lucky people whose e/s stays well into the night.

forget about using nars e/s wet. it just cant take it. it develops a tough crust that has to be scraped off. shadows and blushes will get a gross bubbly texture from the minimal amount of skin oils that your brushed transfer.

if you end up liking the iceland duo, the java duo is very nice. java is another one of my fave colors from nars.

Originally Posted by Scarlette Hmm.. I heard NARS shadows cause cancer, but I don't like the textures anyway. I own one duo and rarely use it. EEEKKKK...
icon_eek.gif
, where did you hear that Scarlette?
Thanks for all the responses girls! If i don't like Iceland i can always put it up for swap.

I think I posted this before, but this website lists NARS as being the most cancerous brand on the market:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/...prod_id=913302

This is the review on the Orgasm blush

The top cancerous shadows:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/...t=Eye%20Makeup

The ingredient is Polyethylene, and it's been said to cause increases in breast cancer risks.

http://www.make-up-cosmetics.com/forum/about6.html

I've found this ingredient in many cosmetics, including Bobbi Brown. Maybe I should just become one of those vegan makeup people?? Now I'm scared!
confused.gif

Originally Posted by Scarlette I think I posted this before, but this website lists NARS as being the most cancerous brand on the market:
http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/...prod_id=913302

This is the review on the Orgasm blush

The top cancerous shadows:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/...t=Eye%20Makeup

The ingredient is Polyethylene, and it's been said to cause increases in breast cancer risks.

http://www.make-up-cosmetics.com/forum/about6.html

I've found this ingredient in many cosmetics, including Bobbi Brown. Maybe I should just become one of those vegan makeup people?? Now I'm scared!
confused.gif

I've heard this before about NARS make-up but I don't know how the study was funded so I remain suspicious because there could be ulterior motives and, like you say, it isn't only NARS that uses those ingredients so why the big focus on them? Doctors have also said ingredients in deodorants can only be harmful if they are ingested and it could be the case with polyethylene and other cosmetic ingredients, so I'm just not convinced. Then there's the amounts - maybe a large amount ingested is harmful but a small amount on the skin may be completely safe. I'd like to know what amounts have a carcinogenic effect and whether these can be absorbed through the skin or not. I just think it's easy to blow things out of proportion, particularly when I've heard talc is supposed to be carcinogenic but it turns out only if you inhale it or apply it to the genitals. There's too much speculation about the effect of cosmetic ingredients.

Haloinrverse: Have you tried Urban Decay Primer Potion? My eye shadow only stays into the night when I use this underneath.

Thanks for those links, i'll have a look at them later (too busy in work now!)
biggrin.gif

Just remembered that I have the All About Eve duo and I love it. It's part of my saving face MU kit for all occasions.

Originally Posted by Lealabell I have a couple and they're nothing to write home about. I do love the packing of all NARS stuff though. I 3rd this...I like a few of their blushes and lip glosses but that's about it.

Originally Posted by Violet I've heard this before about NARS make-up but I don't know how the study was funded so I remain suspicious because there could be ulterior motives and, like you say, it isn't only NARS that uses those ingredients so why the big focus on them? Doctors have also said ingredients in deodorants can only be harmful if they are ingested and it could be the case with polyethylene and other cosmetic ingredients, so I'm just not convinced. Then there's the amounts - maybe a large amount ingested is harmful but a small amount on the skin may be completely safe. I'd like to know what amounts have a carcinogenic effect and whether these can be absorbed through the skin or not. I just think it's easy to blow things out of proportion, particularly when I've heard talc is supposed to be carcinogenic but it turns out only if you inhale it or apply it to the genitals. There's too much speculation about the effect of cosmetic ingredients.

Haloinrverse: Have you tried Urban Decay Primer Potion? My eye shadow only stays into the night when I use this underneath.

i have tried primer potion, and it doesnt make a bit of difference with nars shadows. i dont have oily lids, and all other makeup stays for a long time on my lids. i think its just a pigmentation issue.
frown.gif

im sending my chemist friend these links, and hopefully shell have some info for me. as far as i can see, they say that the probs are the pigments and the polyethelene. i defy you to go a day without intimate contact with plastic, you know what i mean?

ok, i gave my friend the links, and heres what she had to say:

huh. OK, well everything they list is technically correct. You have to be careful interpreting exactly what it means. Things like silica don't hurt the skin but they can abrade mucus membrane and cause scar tissue formation in the lungs if inhaled. Does that make it harmful? Yes and no. No in a liquid foundation, YES in a powder foundation you might inhale. Many of the ingredients they list are exactly like that.

PEG is a polymer that comes in different weights (string lengths), it forms strings. I use it everyday to precipitate DNA out of solutions, add it and the strings tangle up other stringy things and make them glob. It's a primary ingredient in Paula Dorf eye transformer too. (Yeah, since I make cosmetics I did a lot of reserach into these things, so lucky for you I knew it off the top of my head!) when mixed with water and your shadow, it causes the shadow to be stuck to the strings and stick well. As you can imagine, this compound and others related to it make solutions feel thicker, that's why it's in everything and anything that feels thick.

Polybutene, in most lipglosses with high shine, is a petroleum product that is also used in car engines, to give slip and lubrication. It's harmful effects aren't really studied or known, it's basically plastic, but you should pay attention to the warnings about abrasions and injuries. Injured areas have migrating cells trying to come back together to heal wounds. Stick a glob of sticky strings in there and the healing is very impeeded if not f*cked up and can lead to scarring.

Cosmetics is unregulated. Most of cosmetics is not color but binders and fillers, to give texture, grip, opacity, and long lastingness. I personally hate most pure color products, like those *better for you* ones they list simply because they don't perform well. That's a fact. Blush I would hardly worry about because it's far from your eyes and lips, but eye products and lip glosses are, technically, generally really really bad for your body, chemically speaking.

Latest posts

Back