Natural store skin care products

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used Jason Natural, Avalon Organics etc skin care products? I shop at Mother's and Wild Oats which are both health food/organic stores and I see a lot of different natural skin care brands there. Does anyone have experience using the products?

Frequently but just to check things out but I find that natural/organic skin care isn't always what it appears to be. Many of them use irritating ingredients which isn't natural at all! You really have to read the labels.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) Has anyone used Jason Natural, Avalon Organics etc skin care products? I shop at Mother's and Wild Oats which are both health food/organic stores and I see a lot of different natural skin care brands there. Does anyone have experience using the products?

this is really useful information. Please go on some more. I would love to learn about these things. I'm a sucker for products, and im very sensitive and seems like everything irritates me.
frown.gif
so im always on the look out for new things to try.

Aveda products claim to be natural and made from plants, etc, and they are enviromentally friendly, but i noticed most of their bottles are plastic... What are your opinions on that.

I love their products but a lot of it don't work on me. The only things from there that i can use is their "all sensitive" line. Other products irritate my skin like crazy. So is it possible that it's not plant devriped and a whole crap of chemicals???

Originally Posted by Maribelle Lebre It's true. Not all products marketed as "natural" are. Reading the ingredient list is your best defence. Just because a product has a rosemary leaf on the label does not make it all-natural.

Be critical when reading a label.

a) Your skin is your body's largest organ and line of defense against disease. Keeping your skin healthy is not only an important key to your beauty, it's also a key to your good health.

B) You worked hard for your money. Be picky about where you spend it. Don't support the schmucks who have assumed you're too complacent to care.

Also, anything packaged in plastic is not worth your hard-earned money. Products packaged in glass are usually more expensive but here's some food for thought...

1) essential oils break down plastics. In the end the product leaches CFCs from the plastic packaging, turning it to poison.

2) plastic is bad for the environment. What do you think happens to all the shampoo and lotion bottles we use?

Many of the cosmetics marketed as "natural" or "botanical" contain ingredients on many "hotlists" - lists of cosmetic ingredients known to cause health problems.

I could go on forever, but I'll stop here...for now.

Ok here's the list of products and key ingredients that are in the aveda products i'm currently using. I appreciate your help.

All sensitive cleanser

Key Ingredients.

s.gif

Albizia lebbeck, Barberry, Caeselpinia sappan, Geranium, Lesser cardamom, Licorice, Saussurea, Spikenard, Tumeric, Valerian root, Vetiver brass

All sensitive toner

Key Ingredients.

s.gif

Albizia lebbeck, Barberry, Caeselpinia sappan, Coconut-derived humectants, Geranium, Lesser cardamom, Licorice, Saussurea, Spikenard, Tumeric, Valerian root, Vetiver brass

All sensitive Moisturizer

Key Ingredients.

s.gif

Albizia lebbeck, Barberry, Caeselpinia sappan, Coconut-derived emollients, Geranium, Lesser cardamom, Licorice, Saussurea, Spikenard, Tumeric, Valerian root, Vetiver brass, Vitamin E

They all look like plant devriped, but i'm no expert on this. Is it also true that you're supposed to switch products after a while?

Originally Posted by maiho this is really useful information. Thank you.

Please go on some more. I would love to learn about these things.

Okay - I'll proceed.
wink.gif

>Aveda products claim to be natural and made from plants, etc, and they are enviromentally friendly, but i noticed most of their bottles are plastic... What are your opinions on that.<

If they package in plastic, they contaminate the product and are not "environmentally friendly". Do you really want to support a company you know is lying to you?

I can't speak about their ingredients, but if you post in the ingredient list to your favourite product and I see your post, I'll look them up in my Dectionary of Cosmetic Ingredients if I don't know them.

I cut and pasted those from their website. I just grabbed my bottles and here are the ingredients. There are like a million of them in there and most i cant even pronounce. Ill try my best to type most of them out, but its gonna take a while. *sigh.

Here goes:

Cleanser:

aqueous extracts, fruit extraciza gts, elletaria cardamomum, berberis aristata stem powder, vitis vinifera (grape) seed extract, curcuma longa root powder, valeriana wallichi root powder, pavonia odorata root powder, glycyrrhiza glabra root extract, vetiveria zizanoides, inula racemosa root powder, albizzia lebbeck powder, caesalpinia sappan stem powder, cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, glycerin,

There are still a lot more and that's just the first bottle, and I cannot type all of them up right now. YIKES!!. I will continue with this tomorrow. I figure the most important ingredients are listed first anyway. So hopefully you can tell me something about the ingredients listed above. The rest of the list of ingredients on this cleanser seems to be chemicals.

Originally Posted by maiho Ok here's the list of products and key ingredients that are in the aveda products i'm currently using. I appreciate your help.
All sensitive cleanser

Key Ingredients.

s.gif

Albizia lebbeck, Barberry, Caeselpinia sappan, Geranium, Lesser cardamom, Licorice, Saussurea, Spikenard, Tumeric, Valerian root, Vetiver brass , etc...

Here's the problem, you've only given me the "key ingredients". The ingredients you have listed are all botanical, but they are not ALL the ingredients.

The BASE those listed ingredients are in are VERY important and can have an extremely negative impact on your skin no mater how many botanical ingredients they throw in.

It is my understanding that the cosmetic labelling laws in the US require that ALL not not just the KEY ingredients get listed.

Do you know what the other ingredients are?

omg, what the heck am i putting on my face!!!! I knew this was bad news. I just bought a new cleanser and moisturizer yesterday at bath and body works. It's called "pure simplicity" and the ingredients list seem a lot shorter so im gonna just use that from now on and forget my aveda stuff. they claim that its made from rice.

Originally Posted by maiho Cleanser:

aqueous extracts' date=' fruit extraciza gts, elletaria cardamomum, berberis aristata stem powder, vitis vinifera (grape) seed extract, curcuma longa root powder, valeriana wallichi root powder, pavonia odorata root powder, glycyrrhiza glabra root extract, vetiveria zizanoides, inula racemosa root powder, albizzia lebbeck powder, caesalpinia sappan stem powder, cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, glycerin,

There are still a lot more and that's just the first bottle, and I cannot type all of them up right now. YIKES!!.QUOTE']

Well, I just spent close to an hour working on my answer and when I hit post the website lost everything I had typed!

I'm gonna try to keep this simple. A lot of the ingredients make no sense - i.e.caesalpinia sappan used in Chinese medicine for period cramps.

The cardamom is too "hot" for sensitive skin yet there are a lot of anti-inflammatory ingredients in there too - to compensate for the heat?

Where you're running into potential problems is the use of cetyl alcohol - if it's animal-source - cetearyl alcohol is a known irritant and glycerine (draws moisture to the surface of the skin from deeper layers, very bad for skin).

If SLS - sodium lauryl (sometimes laureth) sulphate - was one of the ingredients you didn't have time to type - it's on a number of "hot lists" for environmental illness and is a known irritant.

Hope this helps. I just can't even imaging trying to retype the info that got lost.

Reija..I know I have heard a lot of raves for Jason's Natural but have never tried their products...some of their body washes look interesting.

I love going into my Natural foods store and browsing the beauty products, but I rarely buy anything prepackaged...I usually just go in there for oils and what not.

I agree tho that not all products are good just b/c they're dubbed "natural'..I had a horrible reaction to one of the ingredients in Burt's Bees carrot lotion (forget the name of it now) but its known to be a skin irritant and they put it in there anyways..stupid
rolleyes.gif

Sorry that your post was lots.
frown.gif
That has happened to me before so now if I'm writing a big post I copy it (hit Ctrl A (to copy the whole text), right click and copy) before I hit submit so that I have it in case something goes wrong.

Latest posts

Back