non-dairy ice cream???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any good basic recipes for a homemade non-dairy ice cream? I can't seem to find any on the net. I've got some relatives coming and their kids are allergic to dairy, so I thought I'd make some treats for them. I've got an extensive recipe collection, but nothing for ice cream.

Originally Posted by envymi Anyone have any good basic recipes for a homemade non-dairy ice cream? I can't seem to find any on the net. I've got some relatives coming and their kids are allergic to dairy, so I thought I'd make some treats for them. I've got an extensive recipe collection, but nothing for ice cream. Is there anything you can find using soy milk?? I've had Silk soy milk - its really good - & although I could be wrong...from what I remember, it was non-dairy...
icon_wink.gif

One of my favorite desserts (well OK one of my fave HEALTHY desserts):

1.slice a banana and freeze

2. place in blender with about 1/4 cup of milk (or soy milk) and blend. I also mix in vanilla protein powder.

3. Top with hershey's chocolate sauce and fat free cool whip

This is super easy and healthy! You can also blend the banana and milk with a bit of cool whip, this makes it creamier.

I dunno, it's not ice cream, but it is a yummy!

They sell non dairy ice cream also (I think rice dream and also soy ice creams.)

Thanks bonbon, but I was actually thinking about a true ice cream recipe. I always have rice milk and almond milk, but most ice cream recipes I have call for cream and milk. I'm just trying to figure out how to do a version with either rice or almond milk that will still taste similar to real ice cream.

Here are some recipes:

Non-dairy Vanilla ice cream

<center>

</center> 2 teaspoons kosher gelatin

1/4 cup apple juice

1/4 cup honey

3-1/4 cups vanilla soy milk

2 teaspoons vanilla

1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over apple juice. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until gelatin is dissolved and softened, about 10 minutes.

2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together honey and 2 cups soy milk. Cook until just hot, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Add softened gelatin to hot milk mixture, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining soy milk and vanilla; let cool, cover, and refrigerate until very well-chilled.

3. Spoon chilled mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Makes about 1 quart.

Non-dairy Strawberry ice cream

2 teaspoons kosher gelatin

1/4 cup apple-stawberry juice

2/3 cup all-fruit strawberry jam

3 cups vanilla soy milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over apple juice. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until gelatin is dissolved and softened, about 10 minutes.

2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together jam and 2 cups soy milk. Cook until just hot, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Add softened gelatin to hot milk mixture, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining soy milk and vanilla; let cool, cover, and refrigerate until very well-chilled.

3. Spoon chilled mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Also found a recipe for sorbet which sounds pretty good.

Peach Sorbet

4 cups peaches, peeled pitted and sliced

2 1/4 cups sugar

2/3 cup orange juice

1/3 cup lemon juice

In a blender or a food processor, purée the peaches. In large saucepan, combine the sugar, orange juice and lemon juice. Over medium heat, cook and stir until the sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Stir in pured peaches. Refrigerate until cold. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream machine using it according to manufacturer’s instruction.

Hope that these help!

Thanks Mariposa. I guess I can just use the rice milk instead of the soy(one of the kids is allergic to soy) I play with those recipes and see what I come up with.

Originally Posted by Marisol Here are some recipes:
Non-dairy Vanilla ice cream

<center>
</center> 2 teaspoons kosher gelatin
1/4 cup apple juice

1/4 cup honey

3-1/4 cups vanilla soy milk

2 teaspoons vanilla

2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together honey and 2 cups soy milk. Cook until just hot, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Add softened gelatin to hot milk mixture, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining soy milk and vanilla; let cool, cover, and refrigerate until very well-chilled.

Makes about 1 quart.

Non-dairy Strawberry ice cream

2 teaspoons kosher gelatin
1/4 cup apple-stawberry juice

2/3 cup all-fruit strawberry jam

3 cups vanilla soy milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together jam and 2 cups soy milk. Cook until just hot, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Add softened gelatin to hot milk mixture, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining soy milk and vanilla; let cool, cover, and refrigerate until very well-chilled.

Also found a recipe for sorbet which sounds pretty good.

Peach Sorbet

4 cups peaches, peeled pitted and sliced
2 1/4 cups sugar

2/3 cup orange juice

1/3 cup lemon juice

In a blender or a food processor, purée the peaches. In large saucepan, combine the sugar, orange juice and lemon juice. Over medium heat, cook and stir until the sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Stir in pured peaches. Refrigerate until cold. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream machine using it according to manufacturer’s instruction.

Hope that these help!

nice recipe...

Latest posts

Back