November 2013 -- No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you guys stay so strong?

I am pursuing a more minimalistic lifestyle, but my shopping addiction isn't helping at all.

a few days ago I went into a drugstore to get two specific nailpolishes, but they were all out and I left the store with two nailpolishes from a different brand (not even remotely similar) and a few other items that I don't need just to spend some money.

right now I am lemming some lipstains and lipbalms. I don't wear lipstick but I love lipstaisn and tinted lipbalms, I only own 1 lipstain, so I kind of feel like it's okay to get another one or two in different colors, but on the other hand it's not okay, because I am trying to spend less. It's not something I need, but it is something I would use if I had it.

How do I deal with that? Do I need to stay strong and refuse to buy those lipstains or can I justify picking a few up in a sale?

This is harder than I thought.

I've been trying to get on a more minimalistic style as well! I am getting to a point in life where I'd rather see empty space rather than another "shelf" for more stuff. What I did lately (I made a post on here) was to take inventory of what I already had. that definitely brought the shock of massive amounts of stuff to the surface. Now I don't feel nearly as excited to buy things knowing how many of a specific item I have.

I also try and look for similar things in my stash, or how to combine multiple items to get a similar result. do you have any lipsticks at all already? dab them on your lips and put chapstick over it and you get a very similar look. maybe that could help? if what you're trying to achieve in life is a minimalistic lifestyle, then justifying it via a sale might only bring momentary satisfaction (eventually once the shiny newness has worn off, you'll realize you have "more" stuff now which is countering your ultimate lifestyle goal). just my (rambly) thoughts. 

How do you guys stay so strong? I am pursuing a more minimalistic lifestyle, but my shopping addiction isn't helping at all. a few days ago I went into a drugstore to get two specific nailpolishes, but they were all out and I left the store with two nailpolishes from a different brand (not even remotely similar) and a few other items that I don't need just to spend some money. right now I am lemming some lipstains and lipbalms. I don't wear lipstick but I love lipstaisn and tinted lipbalms, I only own 1 lipstain, so I kind of feel like it's okay to get another one or two in different colors, but on the other hand it's not okay, because I am trying to spend less. It's not something I need, but it is something I would use if I had it. How do I deal with that? Do I need to stay strong and refuse to buy those lipstains or can I justify picking a few up in a sale? This is harder than I thought.
The funny thing is that the longer I'm on a no-buy, the easier it is. It's kind of like your brain gets rewired, and the shopping urge kind of fades. Since it sounds like you're in the early days of this, I would say DO NOT BUY THEM. It *is* an addiction (ask me about the similarities to cocaine addiction tonight!), and if you buy them, it's like you're doing just one more hit of whatever, and you will have problems forever because you haven't figured out how to resist.

Thanks for the replies! I am going to resist! and not just going into any drugstore unless I have to.

I have a few lip products I want to get through, maybe if I finish those I can allow myself to see if I still want to purchase the lipstains. But the lipglosses and 2 lipsticks I want to finish aren't anything near empty, so that is going to take months.

At least I was able to resist all the holiday palettes. I unsubscribed from all the newletters so my inbox is empty and I don't get tempted with sales anymore, that did help. I just don't want and need so much stuff anymore just like you jaylilee.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The funny thing is that the longer I'm on a no-buy, the easier it is. It's kind of like your brain gets rewired, and the shopping urge kind of fades. Since it sounds like you're in the early days of this, I would say DO NOT BUY THEM. It *is* an addiction (ask me about the similarities to cocaine addiction tonight!), and if you buy them, it's like you're doing just one more hit of whatever, and you will have problems forever because you haven't figured out how to resist.

I can only pray that this is true.  My low buy has gone reasonably well but I have struggled greatly, and, despite promising myself no more polish, have 7 or 8 new bottles of polish :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thanks for the replies! I am going to resist! and not just going into any drugstore unless I have to.

I have a few lip products I want to get through, maybe if I finish those I can allow myself to see if I still want to purchase the lipstains. But the lipglosses and 2 lipsticks I want to finish aren't anything near empty, so that is going to take months.

At least I was able to resist all the holiday palettes. I unsubscribed from all the newletters so my inbox is empty and I don't get tempted with sales anymore, that did help. I just don't want and need so much stuff anymore just like you jaylilee.
Yaaaay! Great job!

This exactly.  I did my first low-buy in Sept, failed miserably, did another in October (after setting new rules for myself) and did a lot better.  November has been my best month, I've only bought a few thing for myself, and it's helping that I can buy gifts for other people for the holidays 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I think my hardest month will be January.  I just have to make sure I stay away from the stores where I'll be tempted (Ulta, Sephora, and Kohl's), and give myself a small budget (currently $25) for tiny slip-ups throughout the month.

You just have to find the method that works for you!  

Quote: Originally Posted by Misame /img/forum/go_quote.gif

WOOOHOO! Baby steps.

meaganola is so right, it's an addiction, and while nowhere nearly as bad as most addictions, it's still one. (our wallets feel it lol). i want a much simpler lifestyle and so it takes a lot of restraint to not get sucked up into the "i want it all" consumer mentality! it doesn't mean i will throw away what i already do have (unless it goes bad). I'll use up all i can (and get creative with it) so I do not feel wasteful either. 

Yes, I've been low buying for several months and it does get easier as time goes by. Eliminating the sale emails, staying out of Ulta/Sephora, avoiding the beauty aisles at drugstores, etc have all helped and I continue to do them. I keep waiting to run out of something that needs replacing but I'm still well stocked, ha ha. Most recently I've cut back on my beauty subs. I'm down to two and should probably eliminate one more. I seem to gift or trade more than I keep from my subs. 

I agree, you have to find what works for you and that depends on your goal. My goal was strictly to reduce what I have - the addl $ I'm saving is just a bonus. My goal is for all my beauty/skincare items to fit in two containers I currently own so the visual is clearly defined. 

Also, if you were spending a lot of time browsing beauty sites, etc you should look for something to replace that time with. For me, I've started reading more and that's how I've filled the time I used to spend shopping/browsing for beauty products.  

One other thought, I have given up trying to use up everything in my stash. I am slowly evaluating items and deciding if I like them enough to keep or if I should get rid of them. So far I've given a way a few things, tossed some, and donated to a community service agency some body lotions that I had not opened yet but knew I didn't care for the brand. 

Good luck to everyone!

I think it would be interesting if we all counted up how much of each item we have, like @jaylilee did. I think this would just be an interesting thing to read, but I also think it would help all of us on low/no-buys to see that we don't need to buy more things.

Quote: Originally Posted by lindzebra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it would be interesting if we all counted up how much of each item we have, like @jaylilee did. I think this would just be an interesting thing to read, but I also think it would help all of us on low/no-buys to see that we don't need to buy more things.
we all have kind of started:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/139360/taking-inventory

I need to go through and do more than a cursory count which is what I did, and maybe put it off into a spreadsheet so I can cross things off as I use them. 

I actually spent the last week or so making 3 excel spread sheets.

1. all the makeup I own
  2. how much I have of each type and how many I have to use up to buy another
  3. What I've used up and would I repurchase it.
It made me realize how much I have and it gave me goals to use up things. Like if I want to buy 1 nude lipstick I must use up or get rid of 2 that I own, but if I want to get a light pink one I have to use up 3 because I own more light pinks but I wear them way less.

I'm not really on a no-buy, but I'm always in this forum because I can feel the addiction pulling at me and I need to resist it. I'm currently realizing that it's going to take forever to get through the first eyeshadow palette I ever owned before I even get to the other three. That thought alone kills any desire of mine to buy new eyeshadows.

Totally with you guys on pursuing a more minimalistic lifestyle. I want all of my products to be ones that I truly truly love, not just ones I'm stuck with because of lack of self discipline.

I am on a no/super-low-buy.  And I think I am doing pretty good.  All I bought last month was a Pink Pop Maybelline lipstick that I needed for my Nicki Minaj halloween costume and so far this month, the only thing I have bought was the Sephora in JCP Favorites kit (the $36 one) that I have really been wanting and planning to get. 

But my no/super-low-buy is because of financial reasons (and I have an overabundance of makeup things).

On the down side, I received a new purple UD liner and palette today.  On the up side, the liner will most likely be going out for SeSa, and the palette is one I had been eyeing for a while -- and both of these came into my life via swaps.  I really do *not* need the palette (I've already got more eyeshadow than I think I will ever be able to use), but it's pretty, and I reallyreallyreally *wanted* it, and I'm only out a few bucks in postage, plus I got several things I did not want out of my apartment.  I'm going to count this as keeping up the low buy.

I've been terrible at my no-buy. It normally starts out really well and then I buy something and totally forget that I'm on a no-buy. Sigh. But most of my items are for my Secret Santa!  I did go to Nordstrom Rack and buy things I shouldn't have but I can't resist good deals!! But I figured that I can use some things as gifts. Black Friday sales are going to kill my wallet. I can't help it!! I'm deciding that after the holidays, I'm going to go on a serious no buy on like everything. 

Ah, found some links about how psychologists have found that shopping can be literally addicting!  It's all about the dopamine -- and that's a major factor in why cocaine is extremely attractive to some people.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/magazines/arts-and-science/2011-05/got-shopping-on-the-brain-blame-the-dopamine/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200603/doped-shopping

http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/08/29/impulse-shopping-dopamine/

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2006/12/11/post-8/

http://www.zmescience.com/science/domestic-science/better-dressed-dopamine/

And that's just a few of them.  One interesting thing is that two major parts of this are the hunt and the anticipation.  Just *finding* an amazing pair of shoes or the perfect electric blue nail polish can be enough for some people.  That's one of the big reasons why you should walk away and think a purchase over before you buy it:  You may decide you don't really want it after all once the dopamine discovery high wears off.  This is pretty much exactly where buyer's remorse comes into play.  

@Misame, some days are harder than others, but stay away from the drugstores/casual browsing, and it will get easier.   

Ah, found some links about how psychologists have found that shopping can be literally addicting!  It's all about the dopamine -- and that's a major factor in why cocaine is extremely attractive to some people.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/magazines/arts-and-science/2011-05/got-shopping-on-the-brain-blame-the-dopamine/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200603/doped-shopping

http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/08/29/impulse-shopping-dopamine/

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2006/12/11/post-8/

http://www.zmescience.com/science/domestic-science/better-dressed-dopamine/

And that's just a few of them.  One interesting thing is that two major parts of this are the hunt and the anticipation.  Just *finding* an amazing pair of shoes or the perfect electric blue nail polish can be enough for some people.  That's one of the big reasons why you should walk away and think a purchase over before you buy it:  You may decide you don't really want it after all once the dopamine discovery high wears off.  This is pretty much exactly where buyer's remorse comes into play.  

Thank you for linking these. After reading, I took a deep look at myself and realized that for me it's definitely the anticipation! I have noticed that my triggers revolve around stress and anxiousness when things aren't going like I want them to. ...my tendency to shop comes around when I have too much to do that would potentially stress me out, so instead I surf the internet and inevitably end up on youtube/the sephora site. If my life seems to have come to a "stall" and the brightest part of my day is receiving a package, the anticipation carries me through the days (kind of like a bandaid).... 

oh, man, i'm an addict! 
sadno.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Sheeeeeelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've been terrible at my no-buy. It normally starts out really well and then I buy something and totally forget that I'm on a no-buy. Sigh. But most of my items are for my Secret Santa!  I did go to Nordstrom Rack and buy things I shouldn't have but I can't resist good deals!! But I figured that I can use some things as gifts. Black Friday sales are going to kill my wallet. I can't help it!! I'm deciding that after the holidays, I'm going to go on a serious no buy on like everything. 
tell me about it. I'm traveling to see family in nyc and my mom called me going "hey is there anything you want for christmas? makeup or clothes or..." and i had to stop her in her tracks lol i don't want anything else even if it's a gift, because it would inevitably fall on Black Friday! i wonder if i can talk her into just going somewhere nice with me for dinner as a christmas present, instead. 

Back