November 2013 -- No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone! I'm glad this section of the board exists, because frankly, the entire rest of the forum is basically one huge enabler's paradise! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So, it's 11/26 and I am in serious need of a no-buy. I don't want to go into it here, but I have spent way too much money the past 5 months and it's time for me to seriously look at my finances and stop looking at products. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So, considering I still haven't gotten gifts for everyone in my life for Christmas, I really can't spend any money from my miscellaneous category of my budget on myself. I mean, really I don't need anything. I have to not be a slave to desire, you know?

I mean, I should probably wrap up all the gifts I've gotten myself and put them under the tree and re-unwrap them! Hahah, that would be hilarious. Anyway, I need to be an adult and manage my money wisely, and I used to do that, but have fallen off the wagon.

Here is my strategy:

1. No more purchases for myself the rest of the year, until January 1.

2. Remember that even if there is a freebie attached, it's not worth it to purchase something you don't need to get it.

3. Remember that just because it's a good deal doesn't really mean it's a good deal if you don't need it.

4. Entertain myself at the library- they have magazines, books, movies, and video games, even craft events-- all free!

5. Figure out how to make gifts this year for an added amount of savings.

6. Check out my recent purchases and see if I'm using them, and if not, consider returning.

7. Before I buy anything in the future, make sure it goes through the checklist I found in a magazine- I'll post it if I can find it online.

8. In addition to staying in touch with forums like this, make sure to read the following blogs to stay grounded: Get Rich Slowly and Non-consumer Advocate. By the way, this is a really good article on how to stop 'binge shopping'.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

At the end of October i decided to put myself on a ban, buying no new products i didnt absolutely need for the month of November. I have so many substitutes for the same purpose ( primers, foundations, concealers) and i know im going to be spending lik a crazy person in December for xmas ( one for u, one for me kinda deal) Im actually very proud of myself, been doing well and its the 26th woohoo....29 sleeps :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hello everyone! I'm glad this section of the board exists, because frankly, the entire rest of the forum is basically one huge enabler's paradise! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So, it's 11/26 and I am in serious need of a no-buy. I don't want to go into it here, but I have spent way too much money the past 5 months and it's time for me to seriously look at my finances and stop looking at products. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So, considering I still haven't gotten gifts for everyone in my life for Christmas, I really can't spend any money from my miscellaneous category of my budget on myself. I mean, really I don't need anything. I have to not be a slave to desire, you know?

I mean, I should probably wrap up all the gifts I've gotten myself and put them under the tree and re-unwrap them! Hahah, that would be hilarious. Anyway, I need to be an adult and manage my money wisely, and I used to do that, but have fallen off the wagon.

Here is my strategy:

2. Remember that even if there is a freebie attached, it's not worth it to purchase something you don't need to get it.

3. Remember that just because it's a good deal doesn't really mean it's a good deal if you don't need it.

4. Entertain myself at the library- they have magazines, books, movies, and video games, even craft events-- all free!

6. Check out my recent purchases and see if I'm using them, and if not, consider returning.

7. Before I buy anything in the future, make sure it goes through the checklist I found in a magazine- I'll post it if I can find it online.

8. In addition to staying in touch with forums like this, make sure to read the following blogs to stay grounded: Get Rich Slowly and Non-consumer Advocate. By the way, this is a really good article on how to stop 'binge shopping'.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks for mentioning the non consumer advocate one. it looks like a great one and i'll be reading through some of its posts sometime this weekend. 

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here is my strategy:

Great list - I particularly like #2, #3, and #4. Good luck with your no buy - you have a plan and that's a great starting place.

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you for linking these. After reading, I took a deep look at myself and realized that for me it's definitely the anticipation! I have noticed that my triggers revolve around stress and anxiousness when things aren't going like I want them to. ...my tendency to shop comes around when I have too much to do that would potentially stress me out, so instead I surf the internet and inevitably end up on youtube/the sephora site. If my life seems to have come to a "stall" and the brightest part of my day is receiving a package, the anticipation carries me through the days (kind of like a bandaid).... 

oh, man, i'm an addict! 
sadno.gif

For me, I think I'ver realized that I want to buy something when I am either feeling down about myself, or when I am feeling materialistic. I honestly sometimes want things just to have more things... 
frown.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by lindzebra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you for linking these. After reading, I took a deep look at myself and realized that for me it's definitely the anticipation! I have noticed that my triggers revolve around stress and anxiousness when things aren't going like I want them to. ...my tendency to shop comes around when I have too much to do that would potentially stress me out, so instead I surf the internet and inevitably end up on youtube/the sephora site. If my life seems to have come to a "stall" and the brightest part of my day is receiving a package, the anticipation carries me through the days (kind of like a bandaid).... 

oh, man, i'm an addict! 
sadno.gif

For me, I think I'ver realized that I want to buy something when I am either feeling down about myself, or when I am feeling materialistic. I honestly sometimes want things just to have more things... 
frown.gif

Me too!  In fact, I just talked myself out of getting the Black Friday UD Lipsticks.  I've been wanting them for DAYS, and I made myself sit down and look at online swatches of all 6 colors.  It made me realize that either already have a similar shade of and/or don't want any of the 6 shades!  

Yay for saving myself $50!

Thank you for linking these. After reading, I took a deep look at myself and realized that for me it's definitely the anticipation! I have noticed that my triggers revolve around stress and anxiousness when things aren't going like I want them to. ...my tendency to shop comes around when I have too much to do that would potentially stress me out, so instead I surf the internet and inevitably end up on youtube/the sephora site. If my life seems to have come to a "stall" and the brightest part of my day is receiving a package, the anticipation carries me through the days (kind of like a bandaid)....  oh, man, i'm an addict! :sadno:  
That's definitely me! I've known forever, though. Buying even one thing makes me feel less depressed. Except the satisfaction doesn't last long and the next day I'm struggling to resist buying something else.

Quote: Originally Posted by ddalgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's definitely me! I've known forever, though. Buying even one thing makes me feel less depressed. Except the satisfaction doesn't last long and the next day I'm struggling to resist buying something else.
yeah! the novelty of receiving the package wears off pretty fast... i've been trying my best to look at the cause of my wallet happy purchases and seeing if I can learn to deal with them instead. Definitely considering picking up yoga to deal with the stress instead of going to the sephora site, no matter how shiny the makeup. lol. 

The only buying I've done in what feels like ages is for my SS. I can make purchases on Black Friday-Cyber Monday, but I hope I talk myself out of getting something for myself this year.

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Well, I've really messed up my low buy but  I REGRET NOTHING.

Talk to me again when I have to pay my credit card bill. 
icon_eek.gif

AMEN.

I did a great job of not buying for myself!  

I did an AWFUL job of reining myself in for Secret Santa shopping.  I just wanted my Santees to have ALL THE PRETTIES!  (Plus, getting some Blitz kits from Sephora along the way was a fantastic bonus!)

Still, the hubby and I did a great job of starting our "no going out to eat" restriction, and I'm seriously amazed at how much money we HAVEN'T spent!  Darn you restaurants for being so delicious and expensive!

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I did a great job of not buying for myself!  

I did an AWFUL job of reining myself in for Secret Santa shopping.  I just wanted my Santees to have ALL THE PRETTIES!  (Plus, getting some Blitz kits from Sephora along the way was a fantastic bonus!)

Still, the hubby and I did a great job of starting our "no going out to eat" restriction, and I'm seriously amazed at how much money we HAVEN'T spent!  Darn you restaurants for being so delicious and expensive!
yes yes yes!!! my boyfriend and i feel sooooo much richer for not eating out like 9990928489 times a week. to make up for that lack of spending, i may have gone overboard in shopping today as well but i think i did it well???

here's a spoiler because i'm gonna talk about what i bought and how i am justifying it in my head:

-I spent exactly $50 (+ tax..) at old navy for free shipping and bought a ton of new work out stuff  which i plan to live in until i reach my weight loss goal. (yay other goals! i've been doing really well with working out but letsbehonest, its gross to re-wear work out pants...)

-I had few gift cards from sephora and ONLY used those to get black friday stuff which included... 

>>$10 stila palette

>>$10 buxom lipstick -- both as gifts

>>$10 purity - this is my daily facial cleanser and takes forever to get through

>>$10 bronzer because i've traded like a madwoman for the smashbox cc creams and i feel like it needed to be "warmed up a bit[SIZE=1em]"[/SIZE]

-I had a gift card to Beauty Sage and used that to get FAB stuff because my skin gets horrifically dry and that line is the only salvation i have during this awful season

-(added) i got the UD lipstick set. i really need to stop buying lippies. i even bought a lip tar from a fellow (magical, wonderful, really really fun) MUTer. i am splitting the UD set with another MUT member and I plan on either selling or swapping one of the shades since I'm for sure in love with Jilted. That being said, I know I shouldn't have agreed to split the set given that i really dont need more lippies no matter how "good of a deal" it is.

-I just bought the last of my boyfriend's Christmas gifts. 

>>Jesus. He asked for really hard to track down things (like a printed version of his favorite webcomic that was only released via kick starter...that being said, i managed to track down the kinda weirdo artist and had a pleasant conversation with him. I knew the book would be $50, I just wasn't emotionally prepared for to spend on a book. I also had to find other stores to buy the 2 other webcomic printed books he asked for..ugh. whatever. i love him. and he puts up with a lot) I don't know why I'm complaining about this when I CLEARLY just spent $80 on make up and clothes today on myself/gifts that might accidentally turn into things for myself

i don't feel TOO guilty but i know that my credit card bill might be scary looking considering i accidentally charged my phone bill. my dad also surprised my sister and i and its his birthday -- so i'll probably do the right thing and pay for his birthday dinner since i'm the "responsible" daughter who "happens to have saved up money."  I feel pretty good about getting the Sephora + BeautySage stuff with gift cards and the 20%  BeautySage black Friday discount. I held out on using these for that very reason.

I will be placing an order for my boyfriend's mom's Christmas present -- two Jo Malone perfumes. It'll be expensive even at the 1 oz size, I know, but this cost will be split between my boyfriend, his sister, and myself. 

But, all this being said I'm pretty much entirely done Christmas shopping. 
Do we have a December thread set up already? I should go check..

ETA: i forgot i bought more stuff i added that in the spoiler too.

I have managed to talk myself out of a lot more than I had expected!  My original budget for Sephora's Black Friday items:  $75 (yay, change jar!).  Actual expenditure:  $40.  Then I picked up the Geek Chic Cosmetics Timey Wimey collection for a little under $27.  I want six other collections, and I had planned on getting at least three more this weekend, but I will get them gradually -- probably one a month, maybe one every other month -- next year.  Timey Wimey was my priority so I would have it in-hand before the Christmas special (ack!  There *is* a Christmas special this year, right?  They're not going to shrug and say that "The Day of the Doctor" took its place, right?  I'm so afraid of spoilers that I haven't investigated this!).  I just got my ticket to Night Vale Live (it's three days before my birthday in January!) in the mail, and I just realized I need some Lovecrafty goodness in the realm of eyeshadow, so I'm thinking about getting just samples of the Strange Aeons collection because I'm not sure I want full jars of those.  If I do go for it, I'll get those and a bottle of Be Excellent to Each Other.  

But…  I actually think I'm done with *everything* beauty-related until the UD Naked 3 palette comes out, and I'll only get that in December if it is released in time to use the $20 GC.  After that, I think I might be on a complete no-buy except for basics like bb cream and the aforementioned GCC collections.  I'm thinking I might not even bother getting that Rockateur blush I had been planning on.  I *want* about six NYX cream blushes, but I *have* enough of a variety of blushes that I think I'll just save my money because I haven't even touched some of the ones I already have.  I think I need to place a Birchbox order soon, but I'll be using points.  The entire "need" aspect of the order is just to not lose points, so it's just a matter of finding something I reallyreally want, but I'm finding that I've got so much *stuff* that even getting things for free is losing its appeal.  Crazy, huh?  Maybe a no-buy will be easier than I think.

(If there are some great-to-me Sephora point perks, I'll place small orders to pick those up and drain my points balance there.  It's actually bugging me that I have a ton of points but can't find anything I like in the perks gallery.)

Lol! Best of luck, Tulosai!! I ended up getting a pot of eyeliner at inglot on my trip to nyc because I have revived the thing in the microwave so many times it was time for a new one. Also got 2 very needed brushes. Other than that I think I did ok. I wanted all the eyeshadows. All. Of. Them.

Well, as crappy as crashing my car ended up being, it helped me stick to my Low/No Buy!  I avoided the Sephora F&F completely and for Black Friday, I only bought 2 MAC lipsticks (online, because I had a $30 gift card) and that Yes to Blueberries eye cream I talked about weeks ago (it's my HG and I'd run out; originally $20, I snagged it for $8 thanks to sale, 2 coupons & a $3 Ulta reward).  I also purchased two of the BLITZ deals from Sephora waaay early in the month (before my accident) and yesterday, I got a Smashbox Photo Finish Primer for $9 at Nordstrom Rack (full-size AND sealed brand new!) as well as an NYX eye crayon in Milk that I've been wanting (under $3, thanks to sale & coupon).  I think I'd given myself a $100 cushion for the month (originally to be used during F&F and Black Friday) and (aside from the MAC gift card purchase) I only ended up spending about $90 total.  

Needless to say, I'm quite pleased with myself!  
claps.gif
  Thanks to all the ladies I traded with over the last few weeks for helping fill that void, hah!

So I have to laugh at myself.  I did a GREAT job doing a no-buy on makeup--avoided the Sephora F&F.  For BF I actually I looked at a bunch of sites (Clinique, Sephora, Julep) and even started putting things in carts but didn't end up buying anything.  It helped that my sub boxes came during the month and I had a few trades. 

However, on BF, I did buy myself a new purse. 
icon_redface.gif

Ok, I know it's December now, but I have to update how I did through November. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Although I started my no-buy kind of late in the month, I did pretty well! I haven't bought anything for myself except:

1. 2 plastic organizers for my makeup, which I'm really glad I got because it helps me see everything I have, which I think will in turn help me spend less, or want less.  They were probably $6 together, so I think that's a good investment!

I forgot to mention that I don't include replacing things I need for my skincare regime. I think skincare is much more important than makeup to me, and is really important to how I feel from day-to-day in terms of confidence. I will not buy any new items, just my stand-by necessities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donutbaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Well, as crappy as crashing my car ended up being, it helped me stick to my Low/No Buy!  I avoided the Sephora F&F completely and for Black Friday, I only bought 2 MAC lipsticks (online, because I had a $30 gift card) and that Yes to Blueberries eye cream I talked about weeks ago (it's my HG and I'd run out; originally $20, I snagged it for $8 thanks to sale, 2 coupons & a $3 Ulta reward).  I also purchased two of the BLITZ deals from Sephora waaay early in the month (before my accident) and yesterday, I got a Smashbox Photo Finish Primer for $9 at Nordstrom Rack (full-size AND sealed brand new!) as well as an NYX eye crayon in Milk that I've been wanting (under $3, thanks to sale & coupon).  I think I'd given myself a $100 cushion for the month (originally to be used during F&F and Black Friday) and (aside from the MAC gift card purchase) I only ended up spending about $90 total.

Needless to say, I'm quite pleased with myself!  
claps.gif
  Thanks to all the ladies I traded with over the last few weeks for helping fill that void, hah!
You did awesome this month! You should be pleased!

Now let's all hope we can meet our goals in December, this last month of 2013!

Well, I got through Black Friday and Cyber Monday without buying myself anything! I'm slowly but surely going through my makeup hoard to keep me on the straight and narrow, seeing how much I actually own is almost frightening!

My current subscriptions are: BB (gift from friend) Lip Factory (at Momma and DH's insisting) and I used birthday money for Ipsy.

My rules going forward : all makeup must come from my subs, BB points (paid in full w/no cash needed) and Circular Swaps.

Basic hygiene: toothpaste, deodorant, etc. as needed...meaning running out, not whim to try something new

Back