October 2013 -- No/Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, Halloween limited edition stuff is my downfall! I made my list of allowed things for October, and it's completely unreasonable. Halloween nail strips, loose pigments, nail polish, lip gloss, perfume oil, bath stuff -- just crazy. But I didn't spend my Halloween budget for apartment stuff (dishes, cookie jars, etc.), so I will just take that money and use it for Halloween makeup stuff. No list of allowed items, just a dollar limit, since I probably have more things on my potentially-alowed list than the budget will accommodate. ETA October plan:

• Pacifica warehouse sale: Everything I can comfortably carry in my City Lights Bookstore tote bag. It turns out that the warehouse is on my bus line, so I'll take the bus there and back instead of drive because that will keep me in check and prevent me from going overboard. And I'm specifically identifying the bag I can use because it's smaller than the rest of my tote bags, so that will further restrict my binge-shopping!
  • Glamour Doll Eyes sub if I can get it (whatever length I can get, but a 6-month would be preferable!)
  • maybe GDE Foil Me if it comes back in stock
  • benefit advent calendar (crossing my fingers that it doesn't sell out before the 11th! That's the earliest I can order it)
  • Hit Polish mystery sets (if they happen)
  • as always, essence trend edition stuff with a $20 limit (I came nowhere near that for September, and it doesn't look like the collection for October is going to have more than one or two things that I will want, but I'll put this here just to be safe)
  • subs (half of them are prepaid anyway)
  • stila smudge stick set if it shows up on Birchbox (because then I can use points instead of money)
  • the Geek Chic set of the month, whatever it is, assuming they have one**
Hmm… Looking over that list, I know I won't get it all, so this is just a list of items I *can* get, not that I *will* get since there's no way it will all fit in my budget. And I was fortunate enough to get a blush that will work for fall through a trade a week or two ago, so I'm not on the hunt for that any more. I just bought a big bottle of nail polish remover, so that should get me through until the end of the year, especially since I've become obsessed with glitters and use plain old Elmer's School Glue instead of base coat, and that means the glitters just peel/pop right off. Off the allowed list (these were specifically on my shopping list for this year, but I was waiting until they were in-store at Sephora/Ulta so I could swatch them first, but now they're not postponed. They're completely no-go items):

• Urban Decay Ocho Loco 2 eyeliner set! FORTY-EIGHT EYELINERS! I repeat that to myself in all-caps every time I think about buying eyeliner now.
  • UD Vice 2 palette. I have over a hundred different eyeshadows as it is. I can survive without it.
  • tarte LipSurgence set. I have enough lip stuff, especially since I just got the Sephora Give Me More Lip set yesterday. I still haven't used up the two LipSurgences I got a year and a half ago in swaps.
The banned list:

• Eyeliners, period. I have already covered that topic in another post in this thread.
  • Any other loose pigment
  • Eye primer! As soon as I use *all* of the eye primers I have, I will be getting more GDE Control Freak, but I have more than enough to get through the month.
  • Any other loose pigments not expressly listed above
  • Specific Pacifica prohibitions: candles and reed diffusers. Nothing in any of their fruity scents (exception: lip products), Tahitian Gardenia, or Island Vanilla.
On the fence: Julep. I'm getting less and less fond of their collections, so I do usually skip, and then the switch to DHL means I *really* need to like something in order to bother with it (new shipping time provided: 5 to 10 days, which in DHL time means that they will get it to their distribution center by the USPS hub in five days, and then they will take ten days to hand it over to the USPS hub, and then it will *eventually* get delivered, if you're lucky), but then things like the May collection come down the line. ** (I think I might consider their set of the month as a sub I just have to manually go in and pay for each month for the next few months or however long they keep doing them, pretty much like how I handle Hit Polish's mystery sets. The Geek Chic sets sometimes include blush, solid fragrance, and/or a lip product. I'm seriously tempted to go ahead and get the September featured collection since it will be appropriate for October. It's the Fang Banger set: all four shadows -- and they're all metallics! Awwk! Shiny! -- and a lipstick for under $15.)

I'm continuing my no-buy this month too. However, I brought one of those 3 drawer plastic storage carts from Wal-Mart. But instead of the white frame/clear drawers cart, I bought the black frame/red drawers one for my makeup. When I got home and transferred all my makeup to the cart, it further reaffirmed me why I need to continue this no-buy. Especially the eye shadow drawer, it's almost full.

speaking of nail polish! that is definitely on my no buy until 2014!! I cleaned out my desk Thursday at work and I had over 35 in my top left drawer!!! then today while I was organizing my bathroom (we recently redid our upstairs bathroom-tiles were falling out of the shower!) I discovered I had over *sigh* 100.......I reeeallllyyy need to layoff. as a matter of fact, as soon as im done here i'm going to do my nails with one of the new ones I got last week!!! that's it NO MORE POLISH until JAN 2014!!  now if it comes in one of my subs...well that's another story!

My no-buy will continue! I didn't go as well as I wanted in September, but I did spend less than in previous months. I'm allowed my subs and since it's my birthday month, I will allow myself one fun purchase from Sephora when I get my birthday gift.

Are you gals posting in the used it up thread? That's been helping me to stay focused on using what I have. It's fun to see the long list of samples I've been able to use up. I'm really close to using up a L'Occitane shampoo and Philosophy body wash...yay!

One thing I've decided to do to keep things fun is once a week, I will load up a make up bag and those are the items that I will use for the week. (Based on Meaganola's advice to someone in Sept? thread). I will only have a few choices...that way at the end of the week when I change it up and shop from my stash, it's fresh and exciting. It may sound silly...but I'm enjoying it and this week I'm using a Clinique palette that I've had forever and I had forgotten how much I liked it. Whatever works, right!?

I have loved looking at the used it up thread! And to all of those nail polish hoarders, I will take your extras so I can become a hoarder too :bandit: You guys have great goals!

Quote:Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My no-buy will continue! I didn't go as well as I wanted in September, but I did spend less than in previous months. I'm allowed my subs and since it's my birthday month, I will allow myself one fun purchase from Sephora when I get my birthday gift.

Are you gals posting in the used it up thread? That's been helping me to stay focused on using what I have. It's fun to see the long list of samples I've been able to use up. I'm really close to using up a L'Occitane shampoo and Philosophy body wash...yay!

One thing I've decided to do to keep things fun is once a week, I will load up a make up bag and those are the items that I will use for the week. (Based on Meaganola's advice to someone in Sept? thread). I will only have a few choices...that way at the end of the week when I change it up and shop from my stash, it's fresh and exciting. It may sound silly...but I'm enjoying it and this week I'm using a Clinique palette that I've had forever and I had forgotten how much I liked it. Whatever works, right!?

My september didn't go as well as I had hoped either, but I did spend significantly less than I normally do! I made a $7 purchase on sephora to get the Kat Von D GWP. Always wanted to try something from that line. I also caved and got one FFF box. On the brighter side -- I cancelled Ipsy. So this month, all I will have is two BB's. I reorganized, and I'm now using things I didn't even remember having! I have used up quite a few things, so I definitely need to find the thread for that! My goal is not to "repurchase" until I'm fresh out! I'm alot more focused in October than I was in September -- at least for now. The hardest thing for me to pass up in October is probably going to be the Benefit Advent Calendar! Other than that, I've been putting all of my "wants" on a Christmas Wish List or leaving them for some other makeup/beauty product junkie to purchase!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'm going to try to not buy anything in October. So far my strategy of "trying a lipsurgence color from the holiday set every five workouts" has been keeping me motivated to keep going to the gym and has been keeping me from buying anything!

I'm definitely at that point where I feel like I don't need anything. My boyfriend has been pretty good about reminding me that the people we know probably would not care for make up for Christmas. And, frankly, I'm channeling my energy (and money saving powers) into the clothes I want when I lose weight!

I also haven't bought any shampoo or conditioner recently. I'm working through the massive stockpile of hair samples I've gotten from birchbox and have forgotten about... Oops!

Oh, and finally - I'm going to stop hoping and wishing for a sephora flash invite because we all know what that will lead to...

Oh -- what is allowed is an order for Kiehl's BB Cream. I love that stuff and I'm almost out -- but I will not order until I'm absolutely fresh out *and* Kiehl's has to have an awesome deal (more than 15% off, deluxe samples, etc). I have a feeling they'll have a big promo around the time I run out of my BB Cream. 

I also will be picking up an Clinique's Exfoliating Scrub (or whatever its called). I kinda wanted to buy the Suki Sugar Scrub with my BB points but I really don't like things that come in tubs like that. Haha, I hope I'm not being weird!

For the rest of 2013 I plan on going on a semi-strict low buy for all aspects of my financial life. I am looking at going to graduate school soon so that will mean less money for me to spend on random stuff, including clothes and makeup.

I do not plan on buying any makeup in October since I do not need anything.

In terms of clothing I do not *need* anything but I would like to buy a cute Halloween costume (outfit and Wig). I plan on going as Chucky.

I need to purchase a warm jacket and boots for a trip to Washington DC in December (I live in Arizona, so I do not already have these items).

I am looking into buying one or two pairs of Ugg boots for wintertime here in AZ.

Also, if I can find another pair of work shoes under $65 then I will snag them (I am a size that is usually sold out and I work 12 hours shifts on my feet so good shoes are a must.)

I am looking to limit my total spending on myself for the rest of the year (Oct, Nov, Dec) to $1000.

In January my work schedule will pick up where I have the opportunity to work three or four days of overtime per week, so then I will treat myself more.

Addendum rule for me I'm going to try this month as a trial: All of my purchases need to be covered by my overtime and eBay/Poshmark/forum sales. ETA: Happiness is hearing that "bid placed" harp/chime sound. I'll have to work harder at getting that sound to happen more. It would probably help if I had more than one thing up.

Okay, joining this thread because I know I'm going to overspend on Black Friday and Christmas-related sales... I'm going to keep my budgets tight so I can splurge when I want to (and when I'm maximizing value in terms of sales and GWPs).  The rules of my low buy...

• Only beauty purchases made with gift cards, and even then it has to be something I've been wanting for awhile -- not an impulse. 
  • Only exception to this rule is online sales with free shipping, no minimum purchase and nice GWP-- these sales are fun and usually a good value.  (I love Bumble&Bumble for this!)
  • No "restocking" finished products if I already have something similar.
  • Cut down frivolous dinners at restaurants and munchie grabs at fast food.  Focus on cooking cheap and healthy.
  • Refrain from buying extravagant toys and treats for my dog when she already has more toys than she'll ever need.  Spoiling my puppygirl is a weakness of mine, haha

If I can follow these rules it will definitely help me stay within my monthly budgets, allowing me guilt-free splurging around the holidays.  

Good luck everyone!

OK. I have to do this.  Figured with FFF, Birchbox, LMdB and PopSugar I would be covered anyway....but that darn Sephora Flash (paid $10 for free 2 day shipping in any order)  has been my downfall.  So - allowing $20 for any super deal (for Xmas gifts only) at Sephora in October.  Other than that, no shopping for makeup or beauty items.  Avoid stores all together other than groceries shopping. 

Ok so I said I could buy however many items I used up or got rid of the month before but I just counted 21 items for semptember so I've decided to half that to 10 and I don't think I'll buy that much but that covers everything beauty, body and hair related including deluxe samples so we'll see how much I actually buy

September was largely good for me.  I did not use up the lipstick or eyeshadow I was trying to finish, but I made good dents in each.  I'll just keep trying for October.

However, I didn't buy anything--no shampoo, soap, makeup, nail polish, nothing!  (Just my BB sub which is prepaid.)  My goals for this month:

-Continue to use my stash of shampoo.  I'm getting close to finishing the entire stash, samples and everything. (same goal as last month, I think I have enough to last through this month, and part way through November.  Then I am allowed to buy shampoo again.)

--Not buy any soap, body wash, or shampoo (major weaknesses for me) (Again, same as last month.  At current rate of usage, I do not need soap or body wash until January.)

--Not buy any perfume until I get a new job.  My job will end November 1.  I got a bunch of samples in a trade recently, and started trying them.  But then I caught a cold, so no more sampling til I have a sense of smell again.  Those samples should keep me occupied til November.  I can celebrate a new job with a bottle of perfume, but not until.

--Update my trade list, so I can get some trades going if I feel acquisitive.

Quote: Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  For the rest of 2013 I plan on going on a semi-strict low buy for all aspects of my financial life. I am looking at going to graduate school soon so that will mean less money for me to spend on random stuff, including clothes and makeup.

I do not plan on buying any makeup in October since I do not need anything.

In terms of clothing I do not *need* anything but I would like to buy a cute Halloween costume (outfit and Wig). I plan on going as Chucky.

I need to purchase a warm jacket and boots for a trip to Washington DC in December (I live in Arizona, so I do not already have these items).

I am looking into buying one or two pairs of Ugg boots for wintertime here in AZ.

Also, if I can find another pair of work shoes under $65 then I will snag them (I am a size that is usually sold out and I work 12 hours shifts on my feet so good shoes are a must.)

I am looking to limit my total spending on myself for the rest of the year (Oct, Nov, Dec) to $1000.

In January my work schedule will pick up where I have the opportunity to work three or four days of overtime per week, so then I will treat myself more.
you may be able to find brand new uggs and shoes etc on a site called threadflip. I just joined last month and there are killer deals from people selling things they don't need/use and you can sell your stuff too. I have yet to purchase anything but I am getting ready to list some things soon. my closet runneth over and I usually donate all my things I don't wear anymore...yes things still have tags on them but this time i'm selling them!!

I need to go on a no-buy regime!  I have subs, so I should be happy with those and try to swap for things I want.

I was just awful the last couple of weeks - bought Butter London, Urban Decay, Joeur, Juice Beauty and Cailyn products.  So that is that....brushes hands together.  I need to go thru my umpteen loose mineral eyeshadows that I already own, my collection sets and nail polishes.  I do not NEED to purchase any more makeup.  The only makeup that I should purchase is mascara, as I am very picky about the mascara I use - but I just purchased one, so that should be good for a few months.  Same with my tinted moisturizer by Joeur - just bought one, and I still have 1/2 tube left from my old one - it lasts a LONG time.

shampoo/conditioner - set until december (I am on an auto-delivery with amazon for double bottles and I have quite a few stockpiled)

toner - have over 1/2 bottle of my Peter Roth toner, and I have waiting in the wings, Todd Michael full size toner and also I have some deluxe size samples.

moisturizer - have 1/2 jar of Fresh Lotus and I also have some deluxe size samples of other moisturizers that I like

I think I am okay with my hairspray supply for a month and my texturizing sprays for 2-3 months.

whew....I do NOT need to purchase anything.  I have ipsy, blush, wantable, fortune cookie soap(this is quarterly - whew!) and eco emi as my subs - I also have julep, but I am skipping a lot now.  I may just cancel that one - my nail polish horde is HUGE.   I want to love wantable, but my first box was just awful (cs was great and they did send me out replacements, but what a hassle) - so October's box will be one that I will have to make a decision whether to keep wantable or not.

How long does it take for everyone to get through a bottle shampoo/conditioner? I keep saying that I have enough for the rest of the year, but I have a lot more hair now, so I'm wondering whether I might need to buy more before then. (And I use probably a teaspoon of shampoo and a tablespoon of conditioner because I really just wash my roots and pack the conditioner on the rest.)

I decided that instead of allowing myself a Sephora trip that I would order from Zoya instead. I did get a Christmas present for my youngest daughter when I ordered my birthday gift, but nothing for me. There were a few shades of polish that I really "needed". I don't have a plain black and my oldest daughter has been telling me that we (she) need one. So I got that and a couple of colors from their new collection and a couple of oldies that I had on my wish list. So, here it is October 2 and I'm done shopping for the month! 

I use a lot of shampoo because my hair is oily and I use a lot of products daily.  Conditioner - I use quite a bit because my hair is also very fine and tangles easily. 

I would say I go thru a 12 oz bottle of shampoo & conditioner in less than a month.  My hair is not quite shoulder length

I forgot to add shaving cream on my list!!  As I don't care about what brand I use, nor am I picky about it - and I love foaming cream ones - not the gel type - I use barbasol - it is a men's shaving cream, been around forever and is CHEAP!!   Well under 2 bucks for a full size huge can. They have sensitive skin formulas and aloa vera formulas, so I am covered there. 

I also forget anti perspirant - is it my imagination or has the prices on that just skyrocketed over the last few years?  I buy Secret, and I am always amazed at the expense now.

it is secret, for crying out loud!!  Maybe I need to purchase it online and in bulk, because online prices are good, but the drug store prices are out of control.

Quote:Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How long does it take for everyone to get through a bottle shampoo/conditioner? I keep saying that I have enough for the rest of the year, but I have a lot more hair now, so I'm wondering whether I might need to buy more before then.

(And I use probably a teaspoon of shampoo and a tablespoon of conditioner because I really just wash my roots and pack the conditioner on the rest.)

FWIW - I bought a liter of shampoo and a liter of conditioner back when ULTA had their liter sale (July, I believe). I have long hair (about 6" past my shoulders). And wash my hair about 5 times a week. I have used between 1/4 and 1/3 of the liter since the first of July. I only condition the ends of my hair because the roots tend to be oily.

Ok, so I spent another $3 at Sephora for hair ties for the samples....So now I am down to $17 beauty allowance for the month.

It does not help that on the first day of my low buy month I got a vaccuum cleaner....deleted all email subs from RetailmeNot, DealCatcher, GWP addict, My Subscription Addition, Groupon and anything else that sent me an offer! 

Back