October 2013 -- No/Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we got through last month ladies! I am going to give my October rules some thought. I need to tweak them a little from September since I fell soundly off the wagon at the end of the month, although I recovered by returning everything, I still took a major spill!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How long does it take for everyone to get through a bottle shampoo/conditioner? I keep saying that I have enough for the rest of the year, but I have a lot more hair now, so I'm wondering whether I might need to buy more before then.

(And I use probably a teaspoon of shampoo and a tablespoon of conditioner because I really just wash my roots and pack the conditioner on the rest.)

I have super short hair (like maybe an inch and a half, if sticking straight up from my head), and wash it every other day.  I use maybe a quarter teaspoon of shampoo each time.  A little foil pack lasts me for several washings.  Mostly I use Lush's solid shampoos, which last for months and months.  Seriously, I think I use about 3 of them per year.  Right now I'm down to my last mini bottle of a sample, and my last 1 or 2 foil packets. 

I rarely use conditioner--maybe once very week or once every two weeks.  I just don't need it.  Conditioner lasts FOREVER for me.  But I usually buy one of the large (16 oz) size conditioners at the dollar store, and I use that as shaving cream for legs/armpits.  It also lasts forever, and is really cheap.

How long does it take for everyone to get through a bottle shampoo/conditioner? I keep saying that I have enough for the rest of the year, but I have a lot more hair now, so I'm wondering whether I might need to buy more before then.

(And I use probably a teaspoon of shampoo and a tablespoon of conditioner because I really just wash my roots and pack the conditioner on the rest.)

I go through about a regular sized bottle of conditioner a month, and shampoo every one and half months.

I have really thick shoulder length hair and wash it every other day. It tends to be dry, so I use a lot of conditioner.

I go through an 8-10 oz. bottle of shampoo and conditioner about every three months. I wash my hair 3-4 times a week. I have been working my way through a bunch of shampoo/conditioner samples and thought they would last through the end of the year but I didn't like a couple of them (passed them onto my youngest daughter) so I have about 2 weeks of shampoo left and I will be completely out! 

I was looking back through September and I don't recall buying a single item except for what came in my three subs. Yay! Of course I still have plenty of everything but many items are nearly empty. I finished up a primer today but I have another full size and two sample sizes in my stash. My foundation is nearly empty but this hoarder has another unopened one plus a 1/4 full BB cream and a stick foundation I thought I didn't like until I tried it with primer which seems to sheer it out and now I like it :)

I still want to make an inventory when I get a little free time but for right now I'm feeling good about my low/no buy and plan to continue. My goal is to have my makeup/skincare stash reduced down to my everyday makeup bag and one caboodle for extras. I'm also canceling one sub when it runs out at the end of the year. 

On a related note, I cleaned out my closet last weekend (4 hours!) and donated two boxes of stuff and threw away a large garbage bag of stuff (clothes, purses, shoes, etc). My closet looks soooooo good! I still kept more than I should have but wow, felt good to get that done. Next time I go shopping I'm not going to look at prices and only evaluate items based on what I truly love and what fits great. Most of the items that I donated were ones that I bought off clearance racks where the deeply discounted price was more of a motivator than how much I liked the item and how well it fit. 

It took me about 2 months to get through (I believe) a 4 oz. bottle of conditioner. I still have 1/4th of the 4 oz. shampoo bottle left. Hair is to my chest, and I wash every other day - keep in mind I have very fine hair but it wouldn't surprise me if your bottles last longer than you think! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I utilized a gift card yesterday and got a travel sized conditioner/shampoo/hairspray set from a brand I've always wanted to try. It'll definitely come in handy for my upcoming trip this month so I feel good about the purchase! Only spent $4.50 after the card, so not too shabby. $45.50 dollars remaining in my official "budget"

I think I'm set for the rest of the year in everything, except next month I'll need to restock conditioner and concealer. I purposely got all my bills paid and household necessities bought by September 30th so that October can be a no-buy month. I'm kicking myself for forgetting to fill the gas tank though!

I probably way over use shampoo and conditioner. Mostly because I should probably have 2 brands and switch after a few weeks. I find my hair responds either horribly right away, or good for a few weeks, and then goes downhill. When that starts to happen, I start to use more product to try to get rid of it so I can move on to something else. I haven't found a product I've bought more than once since they stopped making Thermasilk several years ago.

Day 16 of my buy and those Sonia Cashuk ads for their new lipsticks are tempting me. Especially that Burgundy, but I already have 4 shades of it in my collection.

I probably way over use shampoo and conditioner. Mostly because I should probably have 2 brands and switch after a few weeks. I find my hair responds either horribly right away, or good for a few weeks, and then goes downhill. When that starts to happen, I start to use more product to try to get rid of it so I can move on to something else. I haven't found a product I've bought more than once since they stopped making Thermasilk several years ago.
Have you tried having one of those combos be a clarifying shampoo/conditioner for the times you get something that you like for a couple of weeks before things go downhill? A lot of times when a shampoo/conditioner stops working, it's just product buildup, and a good round of clarifying stuff resets everything, and you can go back to the original stuff that started causing problems. ETA: Argh, I have to go to Sephora today. My retractable lip brush just broke! I don't have the receipt, but I *did* buy it there, and I just got it in April (it should *not* have just popped apart already), *and* I just want to exchange it for a new one, so I feel like they shouldn't have an issue with it. I just want a straight exchange. I don't want to have to buy another one. And I do need one because I use OCC lip tars, and those just don't apply as nicely without a brush, and the ones they include with the tubes are just too messy for my makeup bag.

Alright, I'm in for October. Slightly late because I've been battling a nasty cold, ugh.

I'm no longer going to attempt a no-buy because I tried one in September and it was a massive fail. I have no specific goals for October, other than that I'd like to keep my spending for the rest of 2013 under $40. I chose that amount because I'd like to spend less on cosmetics this year than I did in 2012 or 2011. If I spend $40 I'm still nicely under the limit. get the feeling this is going to be really difficult. I need to figure out a way to be happy with what I currently have and not to get sucked in by deals. 

I also have a couple of use-it-up goals:

• use up at least 2 mineral eyeshadow samples

• make a dent in some lip glosses

Anyone else setting use-it-up goals for October?

PS. meaganola, sorry to hear about the lip brush! I hope they let you replace it. Let us know how it goes.

Yay, they replaced it! But it seems that this one has been discontinued (it has been moved to the clearance section), so I'm not what will happen if this one breaks in under six months, too. And my work makeup buddy is on a no-buy until November, so I will have a real life support person this month! Yay!

yay! I did a bunch of "free" shopping today. My sister and I went to the mall. I got a deluxe sample of L'Occitane Divine Cream in the cutest tiny jar they gave me a bunch of random foils. I went to Sephora to get a couple samples of exfoliators. Then I got a free Lacey thong from Victoria's Secret and a free truffle at Godiva (woo!). My sister got all the same things too and passed them on to me - except for her truffle, of course.

Oh my, I really need to do this for October. I blame Ipsy - I didn't get a UD sample in August, and that made me sad, so I bought a Revolution lippy from Sephora. Then I got a Naked palette. Then UD had that online sale with 3 awesome deluxe samples included - another lippy. Then I hit the IpsyME UD offer. And on and on.....In 8 weeks I've spent over $500 for makeup. I NEVER do that! All of a sudden, I'm VIB at Sephora - yay. I have to have a no buy this month so I can afford the Sephora sale next month! Who am I? How did this happen? (Sort of LOL )

My no-nail-polish buy is already so hard this month. I've gotten so used to going to the store to browse for deals when I need to escape by myself, that I'm not sure what to do because I know I can't do that this month. I don't have the will power to see the deal and walk away. I really need to make a friend in town, so I have something else to do. lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by wrkreads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My no-nail-polish buy is already so hard this month. I've gotten so used to going to the store to browse for deals when I need to escape by myself, that I'm not sure what to do because I know I can't do that this month. I don't have the will power to see the deal and walk away. I really need to make a friend in town, so I have something else to do. lol.

I feel your pain!! polish is calling me! if you didn't see my earlier post I have over 100 between work and home!! it's shameful! I live in upstate ny we can meet for coffee at the falls? hahahaha stay strong. I skipped one of my subs this month and dropped my monthly tanning membership ( its $10 a month and I rarely use it) so I almost felt I could spend that $22 then I said nope and stuffed it in my Christmas spending $ stash so after Christmas when I go shopping I have extra $ to spend. I love to hit up those after Christmas sales. plus both my brother in laws know how much I love to shop so they both give me gift cards or $ so literally the day after Christmas im up at the crack of dawn shopping! So hard for this no buy...YOU CAN DO IT!! WE CAN DO IT...now off do my nails from my stash and dream of all the colors I could buy. 2014 can't come soon enough for me!

oh and I forgot, check the target samples page daily ladies, they have been having samples of foundation and lotion, etc. I know its not much but on a no/low buy something is better than nothing! right now they have a lotion sample up so get it before its gone. I have gotten my samples in about 3 weeks. and if you don't already, check the thread about what companys have you gotten samples from. I used that while I was out on maternity leave and scored some great samples form companies that I am still using. all you need is some time and write a few emails. that may help you get through your no/low buy and get to try some great products too!

Alright last month I did alright but not amazing, this month didnt start out too well! And it's only the 5th :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I bought a Rebecca Minkoff Mini Mac purse but it was used for $60. I didn't even realize it was used because it looked brand new with the exception of a bit of dirt on the back. Alright but on the good news I did cancel Ipsy, sad to let it go because of the Zoya polish but I have about 50+polishes that I seriously do not need anymore. I also cancelled Birchbox but kept Popsugar replacing both of my $10 subscriptions. But now debating since Popsugar is goin up in price. Other than that I have kept away from Sephora. My goal this month: Save up for Black Friday Do not subscribe back to Ipsy or Birchbox. Really decide if Popsugar is worth it. Do not buy unnecessary purchases. I do want to get some new clothes (business clothes) Eat in as much as possible

Quote: Originally Posted by wrkreads /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure how the temps are like where you live, but if it's still pleasant outside maybe do something different like going to the park and hanging out with a book/writing in journal? I used to do that when I needed "alone time" lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  yay! I did a bunch of "free" shopping today. My sister and I went to the mall. I got a deluxe sample of L'Occitane Divine Cream in the cutest tiny jar they gave me a bunch of random foils. I went to Sephora to get a couple samples of exfoliators. Then I got a free Lacey thong from Victoria's Secret and a free truffle at Godiva (woo!). My sister got all the same things too and passed them on to me - except for her truffle, of course.

Jess, how do you get L'Occitane to give you stuff?  Every time I ask for samples they refuse.  They are the stingiest company when it comes to stuff like that.

I got out of the Pacifica sale for under $25! My goal was under $40! And no shower gels! Just some perfume sprays, room sprays, and a solid perfume. (And the perfume sprays: They were supposed to be $6 each or 5 for $24, but the guy who made the sign put the price as 5 for $16, and they honored that price. 85% off the price listed on their website!)

Back