Oily skin treatments

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently I am using prescription medication, but when my prescriptions run out I want to switch to over-the-counter stuff to save money. What are some good treatments for oily skin? I don't get near as many breakouts as I used to, but my skin is very oily and shiny! (My breakouts are technically clogged pores due to the oil and not "true" acne, my dr said.) By lunchtime my skin is already very shiny, and on days that I don't wear makeup I can feel a layer of oil on my skin after just a few hours! Any ideas of what I can do to curb this oiliness? I'll also take recs for makeup that help hide the shininess!
smile.gif

(By the way my skin is technically combination, but the dry areas are very small and easily treatable with any old moisturizer I find. The oily areas make up the majority of my face -- cheeks and forehead!)

Thank you!

Originally Posted by girl_geek Currently I am using prescription medication, but when my prescriptions run out I want to switch to over-the-counter stuff to save money. What are some good treatments for oily skin? I don't get near as many breakouts as I used to, but my skin is very oily and shiny! (My breakouts are technically clogged pores due to the oil and not "true" acne, my dr said.) By lunchtime my skin is already very shiny, and on days that I don't wear makeup I can feel a layer of oil on my skin after just a few hours! Any ideas of what I can do to curb this oiliness? I'll also take recs for makeup that help hide the shininess!
smile.gif

(By the way my skin is technically combination, but the dry areas are very small and easily treatable with any old moisturizer I find. The oily areas make up the majority of my face -- cheeks and forehead!)

Thank you!

To begin, drink LOTS of water & use blotting papers (or blot w/a soft tissue). This has helped me quite combat oil quite a bit.
I found that masking 2x/week w/Astara's blue flame mask has worked well. I was previously using Queen Helene's but I can no longer find it @ Wal-Mart. I also try to do a home microdermabrasion (Philosophy's Resurface or Dr. Brandt's Microdermabrasion in a Jar) 1x/week, but will probably increase to 2x/week. Noticed that my skin is much smoother & less prone to unsightly breakouts.

As far as moisturizers go, I like Perricone's Face Finishing Moisturizer. It's helped me a bit & agrees w/my skin. I don't really care about my facial cleanser as long as it removes my makeup & residual oil. I tried Cetaphil, but didn't care for it, but my mother loves it, so it's definitely a matter of preference.

Best thing is to talk to your MD about it. S/He'll probably try to talk you into sticking w/your program, but ask about other options. I'm sure you'll both find something that'll work for you.

Good luck!
wink.gif

I'd try Fanie Intl. white oak bark gel cleanser, the hot dot zip zapper, the dreme cream, fine line, misty E, misty spray, liquid sponge, fizzy mask & truskin for skin care & bare minerals for foundation/shine control/spf.

Thank you for the advice girls! I guess I ought to specify, another reason I don't want to go to my dr anymore is because he's in my hometown and I'm now living a 10-hour drive away. He had me try several prescriptions over the years and there was little difference between them, and since I get very few breakouts now I was hoping I could just stick to OTC stuff to cure the oil, rather than trying to find a dr up here!

I don't believe theres anything you can do about the oilyness except just live with it. I used to carry around blotting sheets and blot about mid day. That really worked well. Just be persistent with the blotting sheets; eventually you'll grow out of it.

I love Cliniques "mattifying lotion" - I had gotten a few samples from my boyfriend's mom when her b/f worked for Estee Lauder... I love that stuff.. one swipe and greasies are gone all day!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Yes, I think most of us have that oily t-panel since more of our pores are there. The thing I would do is just blot with tissues or if you want to spend the money, buy those oil blotting tissues. You could also use a mattifier, many cosmetic companies have them. You could powder as well, but I would blot first and lightly pat powder on.

Latest posts

Back