Pan that Palette 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas ladies!

PtP is going to be a resolution for 2015 along with exercise for the first time ever. It stinks getting older!

I sorted through all my makeup and skincare yesterday and I'm embarrassed about how much I have.  I need to start using it up.  There were a lot of eyeshadow palettes (I'm counting everything from trios on up).  I think I will go for my Coastal Scents Revealed 2 palette for this.  I've used it maybe 4-5 times (got it when they were $10 from the Coastal Scents website on Black Friday).  Not sure what I'll do with the dark purple and black, but this will be an incentive to learn.

I sorted through all my makeup and skincare yesterday and I'm embarrassed about how much I have.  I need to start using it up.  There were a lot of eyeshadow palettes (I'm counting everything from trios on up).  I think I will go for my Coastal Scents Revealed 2 palette for this.  I've used it maybe 4-5 times (got it when they were $10 from the Coastal Scents website on Black Friday).  Not sure what I'll do with the dark purple and black, but this will be an incentive to learn.
A fine-tipped eye liner brush the same or similar to the kind you'd use for gel eyeliner.  

If you have used it in gel eyeliner you will definitely need to wash & dry the brush before using it with eye shadow.

You can use eye shadow (especially dark eye shadow) to line under your lower lash line.  

Just start from the outer corner and work inward and experiment to achieve the desired intensity and thickness.  

I think I'm gonna join in! I'm thinking about choosing a Hard Candy palette I received as a gift a year ago? 2 years ago? (I don't remember). The reason I'm picking this palette is because it has a good variety of colors so I won't get bored (hopefully :blush: ). There are 24 colors in it, though. I honestly would be happy if I even hit pan on half those (I only wear makeup a few times a week. I work at home and only wear it when I go somewhere). I just really want to see some progress. I always switch between all my palettes because I get bored so easily. So if I can actually stick to using this palette only and hit pan on a good amount that would be a miracle :lol: I'll take a picture of it sometime next week so I can keep track of my progress. (I'm finally switching to a smartphone this weekend so who knows how long it will take for me to figure out how to upload a picture from it :laughing: )

@@annatomical Thanks for the ideas.  One thing I have learned is to practice at home on the weekend first.  I tried something with the dark purple from Revealed 2 before work one morning.  I ended up having to go in to work like that because I didn't have time to change it.  With my black hair and pale complexion, I looked very Goth...

@@annatomical Thanks for the ideas.  One thing I have learned is to practice at home on the weekend first.  I tried something with the dark purple from Revealed 2 before work one morning.  I ended up having to go in to work like that because I didn't have time to change it.  With my black hair and pale complexion, I looked very Goth...
I couldn't agree more!  

I am planning on doing this with my Urban Decay Naked Basics. I've already hit pan on 3 of the 6 shades so I might as well finish that bad boy up. I will report back with my progress and since I've already hit pan on half the palette, I will start thinking of another palette to pan after that one.

Great idea! I followed your advice and did that this weekend!

Yesterday I watched some tutorial videos on the palette I'm panning this year, and then I did 3 of the looks. I tried two that I felt safe with, and one that was out of my comfort zone. I realize that dark doesn't work for me, so the brown, black, and purple in my palette will be liner colors exclusively. That means I won't pan those very quickly, sadly.

Anyway, it was fun and helpful! I will try looking at more tutorials and practicing even more!

Do you ladies have any tips on blending matte shadows? I use UD's primer potion and they seem to stick to that and not blend out. When I don't use the primer, my eyeshadow blends better on my lids, but creases by the afternoon. I want to strike a balance. Should I just apply the primer in my crease and leave everything else alone?

Great idea! I followed your advice and did that this weekend!

Yesterday I watched some tutorial videos on the palette I'm panning this year, and then I did 3 of the looks. I tried two that I felt safe with, and one that was out of my comfort zone. I realize that dark doesn't work for me, so the brown, black, and purple in my palette will be liner colors exclusively. That means I won't pan those very quickly, sadly.

Anyway, it was fun and helpful! I will try looking at more tutorials and practicing even more!

Do you ladies have any tips on blending matte shadows? I use UD's primer potion and they seem to stick to that and not blend out. When I don't use the primer, my eyeshadow blends better on my lids, but creases by the afternoon. I want to strike a balance. Should I just apply the primer in my crease and leave everything else alone?
I've taken to laying down primer, then covering my eye (Lid and crease) with a skin toned/off white eyeshadow before going in with color. Gives the primer something to stick to and makes other shadows blend so much more easily.

I've taken to laying down primer, then covering my eye (Lid and crease) with a skin toned/off white eyeshadow before going in with color. Gives the primer something to stick to and makes other shadows blend so much more easily.
This is what I've been doing, too, and I've had no trouble with blending.  I'm using one of the UD primers.

Yay! I started using my "2015 pan that palette" palette (Tarte Be Mattenificent) last week and I already have 1 really good daily go-to look using 4-5 colors out of it! I've actually also been wearing makeup every day of the week (except weekends) for the past week, so that's awesome! I mean, I like the fact that I feel comfortableish without makeup, but I've wanted to :

A) Look more put-together

B ) Use my makeup since I bought it

C) Actually develop some makeup skills so I'm good at using it rather than just buying it. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also revamped my makeup bag that I use on the daily. It's kind of awesome, I love how it's organized! I should snap a pic of it for the Monday Club! But anyway, my point is I put my 2015 PtP palette into it so I always have it on me.

I can't wait to make some more looks using it. I have my daily subtle look, but I want to come up with a few other looks as well, one more dramatic for 'night looks' and maybe one for umm... special occassions? I'm not sure... the problem with my palette is it doesn't have any shimmers- it's all matte, from the blush, shadows, to the liners. So I may need to bring with me a single of some kind of shimmery shade that I can bring into the mix.

Here's my palette at the 'start' of the project, and my first 'look' which is so subtle I don't know if you'll even be able to tell it's a 'look' :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

photo 2.JPG

My Tarte Be Mattenificent

photo 1.JPG

My 'starting point' at the beginning of this pan project!

In the spoiler below are some close-ups of the pans and my daily go-to look.

photo 3.JPG

Close-up of 'Sand out from the crowd' and 'Pink outside the box'

photo 4.JPG

Close-up of 'Peach for the stars' and 'Rose to the occassion'

photo 5.JPG

Close-up of 'Two plums up' and 'View from the taupe'

photo 1.JPG

Close-up of blush in 'Elevated'

photo 2.JPG

Close-up of liners in 'Dream in chocolate' and 'Don't stand black'.

photo8_zps1b28279d.jpg

My daily go-to subtle look. I used the sand and pink colors all over to create a good base to blend and cover up my veins.

Then I took a mix of the peach and taupe colors to define my crease and cover my slight hood. I used the taupe shade to define my lower lash line as well. I lined my eyes with the chocolate liner shade. I actually didn't use the blush... so I should probably get on that. Haha!

Everyone- don't forget to take 'before' pictures so you can track your progress!
So pretty!

This is a great idea!

I'll definitely join in on the 1st. I agree with A, B & C from @@eastofthesun

A- I'm starting a new job as a university professor. I will be the youngest on staff for the master's level program so I need to step up my game. Maybe I'll feel like I belong more if I look the part everyday!

B- I'm remarkably good at buying the stuff (somehow I'm Rouge @ Sephora??? How'd that happen?) but I only do a full face 3-4 times per week, and that's 2-3 days of minimal effort.

C- I'm told I'm difficult to buy for so as part of my effort to please my mother I requested new makeup brushes for Christmas. Hopefully the excitement will carry over and help with the overall goals of using my makeup to help feel more complete in my look.

As for which palette? I'm leaning towards going big- Too Faced Everything Nice, currently featured in my profile pic with my annoyingly (not) helpful cat who likes to sleep on top of anything I sit down for more 30 seconds.

Now if there were only a way I could work a MUT thread into making me excited to work off the stupid new computer with windows 8.1. If it involved makeup I know I'd be more willing to learn how to use the blooming thing... but it isn't happening. And there is no right-click to the mouse. I'm doomed! /end rant
Congrats on the new job!

This post actually inspired me to create an account just now here on MUT rather than just browsing.

I want to commit to the challenge and will be using my Nyx Champagne and Caviar neutral palette. I have had this for years and have already hit pan on 4 shades. My goal is to use it up except for 2 shades- the darkest brown and the black - due to them looking completely wrong on my super pale skin. I will consider it used up when I have difficulty getting color from the pans on to my brush. Along with this, I have another Nyx palette from the Runway collections - the Versus palette. Since I am not committing to two shades from the C&C palette, I will add 3 taupe-ish shades from the Versus palette that I need to pan in order to complete my challenge.

I really think posting to this thread will hold me accountable. Hopefully you don't mind a newbie participating.

This post actually inspired me to create an account just now here on MUT rather than just browsing.

I want to commit to the challenge and will be using my Nyx Champagne and Caviar neutral palette. I have had this for years and have already hit pan on 4 shades. My goal is to use it up except for 2 shades- the darkest brown and the black - due to them looking completely wrong on my super pale skin. I will consider it used up when I have difficulty getting color from the pans on to my brush. Along with this, I have another Nyx palette from the Runway collections - the Versus palette. Since I am not committing to two shades from the C&C palette, I will add 3 taupe-ish shades from the Versus palette that I need to pan in order to complete my challenge.

I really think posting to this thread will hold me accountable. Hopefully you don't mind a newbie participating.
Welcome, welcome! We're so glad you joined. We don't mind at all having a new person around, on the contrary- we are glad to have another person in this with us!

That's such a good point about the dark shades- my palette has 3 dark shades that I won't be able to use up. Maybe I should add in a few single eyeshadows to the mix to really round this out. Thanks for the ideas!

Don't forget, everyone, to take a 'before' photo of your palettes by January 1!! It's so nice to have updated photos to give you a really good feeling about finishing your palettes!

@@Natasha01

Welcome! I'm fairly new myself but you'll find that new or old, everyone here is super welcoming and friendly. I am very pale myself but have included as part of my own challenge to get some if my darker colors included in some of my looks. (Thanks for the push @@SneakyBurrito !) So a few makeup videos are now part of my evening routine as well as catching up on MUT. Definitely the reminder and encouragement I need. And, if I come out on the other side with an empty palette and more makeup skills, well... it'll be dangerous for my wallet!

I've been thinking about which palette I want to pan, and I've decided that instead of panning a premade palette I'm going to aim for panning on of my depotted ones. A while back I took a bunch of my drugstore/lower end singles and repressed them into a few little palettes I got on ebay. But I NEVER use them. They were just a fun project and are only sitting pretty in their case. Since I know I'll never reach for them on my own, I'm just going to make myself do it by focusing on panning. 

Granted, When I re-pressed these I didn't take all the product out of the original pan, just what I could successfully press into the ones that came in the palette. I am also reserving the right to toss anything I don't think works. No sense in panning a shade I hate or doesn't show up if I have so many other choices of better shadows to use. Life is too short to use medicore pigmentation!

I'll add my pictures tonight, but I started today and I'm pretty happy with all the shadows I used so maybe this will be an eyeopening challenge for me!

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]Question: On the topic of YouTube project panners, who are your favorites? I've been watching a lot of PrettyPistol86 and she is soooo inspiring, especially when it comes to lipsticks. In a recent vid of hers she showed her progress on Mac's Soft and Gentle and I was amazed. I don't think I will ever make it to the end of mine. [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently got a 9 pan palette from Red Apple Lipstick and I'm thinking about using that. The shadows are nice but there is some fallout and they don't blend as easily as some of my others. I want to move towards shopping with smaller companies that use safer ingredients though. Maybe I can learn how to work with the shadows more easily this year if I practice.

I've been thinking about which palette I want to pan, and I've decided that instead of panning a premade palette I'm going to aim for panning on of my depotted ones. A while back I took a bunch of my drugstore/lower end singles and repressed them into a few little palettes I got on ebay. But I NEVER use them. They were just a fun project and are only sitting pretty in their case. Since I know I'll never reach for them on my own, I'm just going to make myself do it by focusing on panning. 

Granted, When I re-pressed these I didn't take all the product out of the original pan, just what I could successfully press into the ones that came in the palette. I am also reserving the right to toss anything I don't think works. No sense in panning a shade I hate or doesn't show up if I have so many other choices of better shadows to use. Life is too short to use medicore pigmentation!

I'll add my pictures tonight, but I started today and I'm pretty happy with all the shadows I used so maybe this will be an eyeopening challenge for me!

Question: On the topic of YouTube project panners, who are your favorites? I've been watching a lot of PrettyPistol86 and she is soooo inspiring, especially when it comes to lipsticks. In a recent vid of hers she showed her progress on Mac's Soft and Gentle and I was amazed. I don't think I will ever make it to the end of mine. 
I didn't know there was such a thing as YouTube panners. I will have to look them up. I would love to here about more. That way I could still get my YouTube beauty fix while still encouraging me in my goal.

I didn't know there was such a thing as YouTube panners. I will have to look them up. I would love to here about more. That way I could still get my YouTube beauty fix while still encouraging me in my goal.
Same here! I was so excited when I saw how many were out there. I've also been watching StrwberrySweet and GlamourWithGrace, but PrettyPistol86 is by far my favorite.

Back