Pic for Cali - my hubbie

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
syzygetic2.JPG

Hi Cali! Here's a pic of John and myself. This shot is acually a double-print, using two different 35mm negatives set up on two enlargers.

Whoa! YOU are very pretty, I must say!

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish

syzygetic2.JPG
Hi Cali! Here's a pic of John and myself. This shot is acually a double-print, using two different 35mm negatives set up on two enlargers.

syzygetic2.JPG

This is a really amazing and artistic photo! You are a gorgeous couple. He has a very kind face. Way to go! LOL!Tks for sharing this.

syzygetic2.JPG

What a great photo..I've never seen anything like it..You and your hub make a great couple
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the compliments!
icon_redface.gif

The print represents a syzygetic relationship, loosely based on C.G. Jung's interpretation of our "opposite other". My husband's eyes do not meet mine, representing an unconscious influence. I do not see him but he's always there...kinda thing.

That is one of the most beautiful pics I've seen, especially since it's a real couple and your interpretation was very interesting!!!

Love it- thanks for sharing that with us!!

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Thanks for the compliments!
icon_redface.gif

The print represents a syzygetic relationship, loosely based on C.G. Jung's interpretation of our "opposite other". My husband's eyes do not meet mine, representing an unconscious influence. I do not see him but he's always there...kinda thing.

Originally Posted by shoediva That is one of the most beautiful pics I've seen, especially since it's a real couple and your interpretation was very interesting!!! Love it- thanks for sharing that with us!! Yep, i totally 150% 2nd what Shoediva said.. Its the most amazing pic ive ever seen... WOW. You're both so beautiful

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Thanks for the compliments!
icon_redface.gif

Amazing... I interpreted it a different way. IT is like art so I'm sure everyone views it differently. In my view, it shows his love for you and while you are unaware that he is watching you, he is there admiringly. It's very romantic (without trying to ruin this.. sigh...)It's the kind of love that can be seen. To me, there is full consciousness in him, and subconscious influence in you.

Who did the photography trick?

You're interpretation is also correct. It's his love that influences how I am and how I see the world. Yeah...sigh...
tongue.gif

The darkroom technique I used for this print is called a "double print". Basically, photographic paper is light sensitive and an enlarger will cast a lit projection of the negative. Areas of the negative that allow light to pass through will cause a reaction on the paper. The area that reacts will turn dark when processed.

I used a 35mm camera to take both shots. In the first shot, I'm looking at myself in a mirror. The camera is set on a makeshift ledge (my cat tree) for adequate height. I used the camera's self-timer and did the picture myself.

In the second shot, I took a picture of John at an angle that I knew would work for the double print.

I used two rolls of film to get two perfect negatives.

Then, after I hand-developed the negatives (Kodak Plus-X 125 B/W film), I set up two enlargers with the negatives; one for each machine. Using one sheet of photographic paper, I exposed the image of myself looking into the mirror. I turned off the enlarger, set up the same paper on the 2nd enlarger tray and exposed the image of John into the area where the mirror is. Mind you, all I can see once the enlarger is off is a blank sheet of white paper. The image doesn't develop until you agitate it in the developing solution.

With trial and error, it took me about 1.5 hours in the darkroom to do this print. One good print. My mom wants a copy. I'm taking it to a lab to be scanned and duplicated!!!

Whew! There. That's my photography lecture for today.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Californian Amazing... I interpreted it a different way. IT is like art so I'm sure everyone views it differently. In my view, it shows his love for you and while you are unaware that he is watching you, he is there admiringly. It's very romantic (without trying to ruin this.. sigh...)It's the kind of love that can be seen. To me, there is full consciousness in him, and subconscious influence in you.

Who did the photography trick?

WOW Actual Film huh? COOL! I do stuff like this digitally alot for people.

Looks great!

You're interpretation is also correct. It's his love that influences how I am and how I see the world. Yeah...sigh...
tongue.gif

The darkroom technique I used for this print is called a "double print". Basically, photographic paper is light sensitive and an enlarger will cast a lit projection of the negative. Areas of the negative that allow light to pass through will cause a reaction on the paper. The area that reacts will turn dark when processed.

I used a 35mm camera to take both shots. In the first shot, I'm looking at myself in a mirror. The camera is set on a makeshift ledge (my cat tree) for adequate height. I used the camera's self-timer and did the picture myself.

In the second shot, I took a picture of John at an angle that I knew would work for the double print.

I used two rolls of film to get two perfect negatives.

Then, after I hand-developed the negatives (Kodak Plus-X 125 B/W film), I set up two enlargers with the negatives; one for each machine. Using one sheet of photographic paper, I exposed the image of myself looking into the mirror. I turned off the enlarger, set up the same paper on the 2nd enlarger tray and exposed the image of John into the area where the mirror is. Mind you, all I can see once the enlarger is off is a blank sheet of white paper. The image doesn't develop until you agitate it in the developing solution.

With trial and error, it took me about 1.5 hours in the darkroom to do this print. One good print. My mom wants a copy. I'm taking it to a lab to be scanned and duplicated!!!

Whew! There. That's my photography lecture for today.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hi Kitty, did you go to a photography school? I always wanted to take that up in my spare time and was wondering how to start...any suggestions??

Hi shoediva!

Right now I'm a photography student at St. Petersburg College and love it! But taking college courses may not be the route you need to go if you don't have a lot of spare time and $$, and you want to do photography as a hobby. As an "A" student, I spend about 30 hours per week doing class work. And expect to spend at least $1,000 by the end of the 1st course, adding up film, camera, paper, tools, tuition...etc. As a student, you'll be working long hours in a darkroom with photographic chemistry. Photography 1 classes usually have a drop out rate of 33%...and this is why! I'm not trying to scare you away. I'm giving you real info that's not in the college brochure.
icon_wink.gif
If you want to learn A LOT, this is the best way to go.

You may want to check out if your local community college, art center or community center offers "adult courses" in photography. These are short, inexpensive hobby classes that can learn some basic camera techniques. Also there are probably photography clubs in your area that do outings.

I like digital and film, though for image quality I prefer film. You can get a decent camera (Minolta X-700), 50mm lens and flash for about $150ish on ebay. With most labs providing digital disks from 35mm film, you can get the best of both worlds.

If you want to do fine quality enlargements over an 8x10 size, then you can go digital. 35mm tends to become too grainy past that point. But, get a high quality digital camera that's at least a 5 megapixel. Here's a site that gives great feedback on digital cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/

HTH some!

Originally Posted by shoediva Hi Kitty, did you go to a photography school? I always wanted to take that up in my spare time and was wondering how to start...any suggestions??

Shoey! Oh yes it can be in about 10 mins. Adobe Photoshop CS is the most wonderful program. I use it all the time. In fact, all graphics on MakeupTalk were done by yours truly in Photoshop CS

Originally Posted by shoediva

Tony is this something that can also be done digitally???

I love dpreview.com! I use them all the time. I have a Minolta 5 megapixel camera. Love it!

Hi shoediva!
Right now I'm a photography student at St. Petersburg College and love it! But taking college courses may not be the route you need to go if you don't have a lot of spare time and $$, and you want to do photography as a hobby. As an "A" student, I spend about 30 hours per week doing class work. And expect to spend at least $1,000 by the end of the 1st course, adding up film, camera, paper, tools, tuition...etc. As a student, you'll be working long hours in a darkroom with photographic chemistry. Photography 1 classes usually have a drop out rate of 33%...and this is why! I'm not trying to scare you away. I'm giving you real info that's not in the college brochure.
icon_wink.gif
If you want to learn A LOT, this is the best way to go.

You may want to check out if your local community college, art center or community center offers "adult courses" in photography. These are short, inexpensive hobby classes that can learn some basic camera techniques. Also there are probably photography clubs in your area that do outings.

I like digital and film, though for image quality I prefer film. You can get a decent camera (Minolta X-700), 50mm lens and flash for about $150ish on ebay. With most labs providing digital disks from 35mm film, you can get the best of both worlds.

If you want to do fine quality enlargements over an 8x10 size, then you can go digital. 35mm tends to become too grainy past that point. But, get a high quality digital camera that's at least a 5 megapixel. Here's a site that gives great feedback on digital cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/

HTH some!

Thanks sooo much for all that information. I will surely look into it. I believe there is a college where I live that gives starter courses. I already have a Sony digital camera with 5 megapixel, just got to learn how to get the most of it. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

I'm gonna check it out, I know someone who may be able to get me that program. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back