Pink hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by bluemustang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to know what shampoo/conditioner you use to help perevent fading.

I bleached two smaller chunks in my hair (kinda by each ear) and used the Loreal HiColor in magenta over the bleached area plus either side of that strip.. I think I will try that vampire red over it next. Am I correct that it's not as damaging to your hair?
Honestly...I've used all the redken and fancy salon products and my hair faded just as fast. It's cheaper for me to just keep an extra bottle of dye around and throw some on if it's looking a little faded. I also sometimes add some dye into my conditioner so each time I apply it some color gets added as well. My boyfriend discourages me from doing it because he always grabs the wrong bottle on accident lol

And yes semi perm colors are by far less damaging. You of course still have damage depending on how you need to lighten your hair before applying it. The very first time I colored my hair it was waist length and I went to a nice salon who used redken dyes and my hair broke off up to my chin in the chair. After that I tried pravana and inkworks which both also frayed the ends of my hair. My stylist suggested i buy some manic panic and bring it to the salon and she would apply it. It was like friggin night and day with both the condition of my hair and the vibrancy of the colors. I haven't let permanent hair color touch my head since and I honestly don't think I would be able to keep my hair bright full time without it being wrecked if I used perm dyes. 

Originally Posted by jthurs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is there a pink dye gift set I can get my girlfriend?

best,

Jeremy
This is all I can think of off the top of my head: http://www.manicpanic.biz/store/p/101-Hot-Hot-Pink-Box-Kit.aspx

Try the 'Curly Girl Method' of just using conditioner only to cleanse your hair.  The colour will last much longer than using shampoos and your hair will also be much healthier as a result.  The key is finding an inexpensive silicone-free conditioner.  The product WEN that you may have seen on infomercials is just that same principle.  It is a cleansing conditioner but it is a very expensive ($35/ bottle) conditioner.  You can get the same results by using any silicone-free conditioner.  I've been doing this for almost 2 years.  My hair is much healthier and the red colour lasts much longer.  I still have to dye the roots as my hair grows superfast (1 and 1/2" a month) and I have a lot of grey but usually I just do the roots and rest about once every 4months. 

Originally Posted by bluemustang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want to know what shampoo/conditioner you use to help perevent fading.
I bleached two smaller chunks in my hair (kinda by each ear) and used the Loreal HiColor in magenta over the bleached area plus either side of that strip.. I think I will try that vampire red over it next. Am I correct that it's not as damaging to your hair?

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try the 'Curly Girl Method' of just using conditioner only to cleanse your hair.  The colour will last much longer than using shampoos and your hair will also be much healthier as a result.  The key is finding an inexpensive silicone-free conditioner.  The product WEN that you may have seen on infomercials is just that same principle.  It is a cleansing conditioner but it is a very expensive ($35/ bottle) conditioner.  You can get the same results by using any silicone-free conditioner.  I've been doing this for almost 2 years.  My hair is much healthier and the red colour lasts much longer.  I still have to dye the roots as my hair grows superfast (1 and 1/2" a month) and I have a lot of grey but usually I just do the roots and rest about once every 4months. 
I tried using the Wen for around 2 weeks after my hair broke off to regain health and my head broke out in little red bumps all over from the build up of oil. I think it might work great for people with curly or dry hair that can usually wash every 4 or 5 days and get away with it, but having fine oily hair it was just a nightmare 
frown.gif

My hair is thick and straight and processed. I've been dying my hair for 30yrs. It has been every colour. There are lighter silicone free conditioners you can try. I wash my hair 2x a day and never with shampoo. I wash more thoroughly after my workout at night and I give a light wash in the morning. I can see the hair colour run out when I use shampoo but I dont see colour in the runoff water when I just use conditioner.

What kind do you use? Off the top of my head the brands I've tried that I'm pretty sure are silicone free are the Wen, Aubrey, Kiss my face, Aveda, Biosilk, Bumble and Bumble, Matrix, Redken, something from L'oreal. I'm usually cheap and just buy drug store brands, but my salon kept convincing me to buy their products so I ended up with too many lol 
doh.gif

I like most of them a lot applied to the ends of my hair, but when I apply them all over my hair is just weighed down and greasy. I usually only have run off when I shampoo for about the first week (and end up with pink shower curtains), but after that it's not really an issue. 

I'm too cheap to buy Salon stuff for $30 a bottle.  I go for Dollarstore :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  What I'd been using for the last year year is Delon Olive Conditioner.. $1.25 at Dollarama :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I first started making a dupe for the WEN by adding mint EO and sweet almond oil but I stopped because I got lazy.  The Delon conditioner works just as well.  It isn't as thick as WEN so I end up using a bit more.  The key is to apply to damp, not wet hair... wait for 3-5min.  Dampen hair a bit more and work the stuff into a lather...leave for another couple of minutes before rinsing.  You can do all the other washing up while waiting so you wont be trapped in the shower for an eternity.  My hair is never oily but it does feel good to the touch.  I do notice that my hair oilier if I just use the conditioner as a conditioner.  It has been super hot here so I was just wanted to strip my hair so I used some daily shampoo... I can see colour run out eventho I coloured 4wks ago :/  I put the conditioner as a conditioner.  I only needed very little but it felt heavier.  The next day, I went back to CO washing again.  If you cant find it, there's SUAVE, Tresemme, White Rain etc.  There are tons if you google silicone-free conditioners.  People have made lists and lists.  Some products may not be available in your area ...I can't find White Rain here in BC.  Suave is totally cheap, not as cheap as the Delon at $1.25 but I have seen it on sale for $1.98.   

I have been dying my hair pink for a while now. I have been using the Manic Panic Cotton Candy Pink dye and I love the color! It looks GREAT for two weeks then it's starts fading. I only wash my hair with cold water when I absolutely have to and I mix the MP with my conditioner to try to keep the color in but it still fades very quick. I wish they would come out with a permanent crazy color line!

It looks like the Jerome Russell is darker then the Cotton Candy. Does the Jerome Russell have a lighter pink? Has anyone tried the brand Splat?

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The red I use most frequently is Rock n Roll red by Manic Panic. The first pictures are what it looks like over light blonde hair. It's a bright, true red. 

Random thought post

omg you look like Felicia Day in this picture:

(sorry for the interruption carry on with the other conversation now)

I have tried WEN a few times from the New Beauty Test Tubes and don't love it.. Plus I hate that you are supposed to use a million pumps. However, think i will try using it more often or other silicone free conditioners and use the curly girl method every other time I wash my hair. I have colored my hair with semi perm for years and thought I was using good products but have been paying attention to ingredients recently and almost everything has sulfates. Grrrr Thanks for the info girls, I was huge into makeup for a long time (thank you Urban Decay) and have slowed way down on collecting it and then I moved onto skincare.. Now I am moving onto hair. Haha ahhh, the cycles of a beauty hoarder. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What kind do you use? Off the top of my head the brands I've tried that I'm pretty sure are silicone free are the Wen, Aubrey, Kiss my face, Aveda, Biosilk, Bumble and Bumble, Matrix, Redken, something from L'oreal. I'm usually cheap and just buy drug store brands, but my salon kept convincing me to buy their products so I ended up with too many lol :doh: I like most of them a lot applied to the ends of my hair, but when I apply them all over my hair is just weighed down and greasy. I usually only have run off when I shampoo for about the first week (and end up with pink shower curtains), but after that it's not really an issue. 
Before I added the magenta, I would use my more expensive color safe products or samples I had that first week and didn't have a problem with color running off when I washed it. I have just had the magenta for just over a month and am surprised how much it still fades each wash which is why I have been asking. Hmmm I wonder how it would help if got the magenta chunks wet and put Wen on them and then still washed my roots with shampoo.. (I wash my hair every other day)

Back