Ponchos: A fashion Do or Don't?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really don't think that dressing like a tent is flattering on any shape.

The shawl/capelet things are ok; but the big ponchos get a big fat NO from me!

Definite NO-NO coz everybody is wearing them now & they loo so common.. I like the idea of one covering all my wobbly bits though -LMAO!!!

Just cause something is so common doesn't mean has to be a no no right ?? A good ponchos and cowboy boots work great for halloween when one is playing cowboy
icon_twisted.gif

LMAO..just joking...I go with no no..only cause they are so common place..

Ponchos were a great piece until they became so popular. I personally still have a couple that I still use, since they go great with a growing belly. My favorite is a solid black one on top of a black turtleneck with some great jeans.

We used to wear ponchos back in the 70's, my Mom even made me one. It was all right when I was a kid, but don't think I care for them too much now. My husband took our kids to an Indian Pow-Wow when they were little, he bought me this Clint Eastwood/spagetti western looking poncho made out of an Indian blanket, I still have it in the closet but have never worn it, thank heavens he must have forgotten about it cause he has never asked me "Why don't ya wear the poncho I got ya"?
icon_redface.gif

Just like the Ugg's... I think I'd look like an idiot in a poncho as well!!! LOL They look good on other people... sometimes. But on me - I look like I was wearing a cape or my mothers curtains! LOL
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by PnkCosmo The shawl/capelet things are ok; but the big ponchos get a big fat NO from me! i agree. they're cute, but WAY overexposed. too bad b/c some are really cute.

I think a lot of variables factor in here. They are obviously really in this season, so everyone is wearing them. I think they look cute. But because everyone is wearing them now the look is starting to get old. A designer needs to come up with a innovative new way to recreate the poncho
smile.gif

Originally Posted by shoediva Ponchos were a great piece until they became so popular.. I agree with you Shoey.. Before they came in fashion, i thought they were so pretty & "posh" looking!

I personally have yet to see someone that looks good in a poncho.... when I see slender people wearing them, it just hides their nice figure and makes them look wider. When I see heavier women wearing them, while it may slightly hide the extra weight I still think it makes them look larger -- if you look horizontally across their chest or stomach area, you can't tell where their torso ends and their arms begin so it's like the width of their arms are being added to the width of their torso!

But really I think it's about the same effect as baggy clothes -- as Stacy and Clinton on "What Not to Wear" always say, baggy clothes make you look wider while structured, fitted (but not too tight) clothes make you look slimmer! (Or curvier, or whatever you want, depending on the exact style of the clothes.)

Sorry I am a TLC addict
biggrin.gif
I'm not trying to make any one mad who likes ponchos or baggy clothes, that's just my opinion!
smile.gif

heck no! IMHO, theyre beyond hideous. ive always loved capes and capelets, even when they were extremely out of fashion.

if youre looking for a stole or capelet, there are instructions and patterns in the current issue of bust magazine, and both can be made with one yard of faux fur.

I think ponchos are cute and i am looking for a good one for myself. I think i would go for a red or balck one. My b/f daughter has one and she looks beautiful and stylish (she could be a model when she's older)! I give poncho's a thumbs up.

Thank Goodness I am a typical Aquarian! I wear what i want,and am no fashion slave or victim. Aquarian's are unique and often create their own fashion.

You can never go wrong with a black one!

Originally Posted by candy I think ponchos are cute and i am looking for a good one for myself. I think i would go for a red or balck one. My b/f daughter has one and she looks beautiful and stylish (she could be a model when she's older)! I give poncho's a thumbs up.

I've been wanting one, mainly because I think they're cute and warm to hang out in. I'm not a big fashion guru, though, so I just wear what I want to wear.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back