POP Beauty Plump Pout (discussion)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my replacements from POP Beauty last week they sent the colors I asked for but I have not tried them yet. I guess I am just a bit nervous about them. Also Ipsy is supposed to be sending me the lipstick in pixie and an Ofra lip plumper. I still have not received anything from Ipsy and I had to go back and forth for almost a month to get a replacement on my second account.

I emailed pop weeks ago and still not received a replacement. I also got the email from ispy saying i would get the pixie for replacement and got the jcat. Yuck! I sent them a follow up email wtf and they pretty much responded "oh well".

has anyone noticed that the lip gloss in the Divergent line at Sephora looks exactly like the pop ones. so i had to open it and smell it! it smelled very minty

Quote: Originally Posted by mommamowad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  has anyone noticed that the lip gloss in the Divergent line at Sephora looks exactly like the pop ones. so i had to open it and smell it! it smelled very minty
Similar packaging, different brands. I think it's just a popular style of packaging.

I agree and absolutely refuse to purchase any products from Pop Beauty because of the way they have dealt/are dealing with this situation. When I opened the gloss I was astonished by the disgusting smell and thought it might not be bad on, but it was even worse and the taste...atrocious! I posted a question about it on Ipsy's FB page and someone responded that I should email Pop, so that's what I did. The response that I got from them was rude and dismissive and I was extremely offended. I emailed them back and got nothing - nada - no response.
I then emailed Ipsy and explained to them that I think it's wrong for them to do business with a company that refuses to stand behind their product. I also requested that they send me something else to make up for the horrible Plump Pout and I received a very kind, helpful response stating that they are sending me an extra product, so I'm happy with Ipsy. I am very unhappy with Pop Beauty and have informed all of my friends to stay away from that company - not just the lip gloss, but the entire company. If they won't send a replacement for one defective product, they won't send a replacement for any and that's just bad business.
Now I hear that they did replace some people's glosses and not others - that's worse than not replacing any. Pop Beauty is not a good company.

No replacement for me. march 8 - dear pop please replace my stinky sample March 10 - dear barb we will replace it just tell us what you want and where you live March 10 - dear pop thanks please sent it here March 24 - dear pop I haven't gotten anything yet March 25 - dear barb It was sent out last week. It was sent by post, so it will take from 1-2 weeks to arrive April 9 - dear pop Well, two weeks has passed since this email which is three weeks since you sent it and no replacement. How sad, I really wanted to try it. Is there a tracking number that can be checked? April 12 - dear pop Very bad customer service. Will never buy from your company It's just the principle.

At least you received a kind, apologetic email. I received nothing of the kind. It was rude and dismissive and they did not offer to send a replacement - mini or full-size. I have decided to never purchase anything from them, which is frustrating because they have some great-looking products.

I contacted Pop Beauty about my stinky sample and was told they would send me a full sized replacement, I responded with the shade I wanted (the peony one) and my address. I never got the replacement. It's been what? Two months or more now since we got it in our bags? I contacted them maybe a week or two after I got it, because everyone said they were getting replacements. Still nothing.

Wow sorry to hear about all the people who are not getting replacements. I got my replacement in a few weeks after I wrote to Pop. I am however still waiting for the replacement Ipsy was supposed to send.

I got the ipsy replacement immediately. But it was a sample I had already gotten. I can't think of the name off the type of my head. It's the plumping lip gloss that starts with an S.

I got replacement from Ipsy. It was J cat honeycrisp lipstick that I will never use.

Quote: Originally Posted by mindcaviar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Dear MUT Ladies & Zadi,

I want to be clear with what happened regarding my gloss. My experience may or may not reflect the same experience by others who are posting in this thread.

I am in a swap group for sub boxes. Naturally people from different regions of the US are members and they receive their subs at different times. 

I noticed a thread about the glosses smelling bad, in fact "reeks" is the term that was being used. 

I was aware that many people were having issues before I got my bag with the gloss. 

I unwrapped the shrink-wrapped gloss handle. I do not recall if the label had any writing on it. Many ladies had said the product smell that was first noticed was that the packaging itself was the problem. The first thing I noticed was that the black top of the gloss/handle of the wand smelled HORRIBLE. First whiff I got was that of a skunk smell. If you have ever had the misfortune to smell a skunk's spray, this was most definitely a ringer for that odor. I reeled back and then decided I would not open the gloss. It was that strong and offensive of an odor. 

About a week later I tested the scent of the packaging again. I noticed that the distinct skunk spray odor was gone and replaced by a strong petrochemical smell of burned rubber. The scent was not overwhelming in strength, but distinct and off putting. At this point I attempted to open the gloss in order to smell the product. The product smelled lovely-- like vanilla, but a bit sweeter, more like a vanilla confection. The cap continues to have the burned rubber scent.

I am wondering if the ingredients were NOT the issue at all that caused the stench, but rather that chemicals in the black, rubbery top leeched into the product? 

Did anyone else have this experience?

Please let me know if this happened to you. Zadi needs to understand all the issues anyone has had in order to present this case to the FDA. 

Thank you! 
I know I'm late to the conversation but this was my experience as well. Thankfully my cap no longer smells and I did just double check but my gloss still smells wonderful. It's kind of a vanilla clove scent and the color (Peony Petal) is just gorgeous on me.

Quote: Originally Posted by way2gocoolie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hey guys, thanks to Dashery linking this to me on one of the ipsy threads, I joined to tell you guys what happened today with this.

While I was one of the few that did not experience problems with the gloss, I still wanted to look into it further. I went ahead and bought the full size today. I was planning on buying the full size eventually, since I liked the sample so much. So I tried it on today. I got that burning sensation that people were talking about. I. did. not. like. it. at. all.

It's a shame really too, also kinda weird. I liked the sample size so much, but it was the full size product that was causing problems for me.

Now to be fair, I haven't had a lot of experience with plumping products. However, the October 2013 Glam Bag, I received the Buxom Full On Lip Polish (Dolly) by Bare Essentials and I LOVED it! It plumped my lips really well, and it had a minty tingle feel on my lips and I felt comfortable. Pop Beauty's Plump Pout, however, made me feel uncomfortable.

I'm making a video now (it will be my first one, so I'm nervous) that shows me trying it on for the first time. I'm thinking it might be fair to go ahead to have someone physically speaking about it. It's a shame. I really like the Pop Beauty products. :C
I had a similar experience, I loved the sample so much that when I got the FS I put in on immediately...holy burning! I tried leaving it on but had to wipe it off. I put it away and didn't think about it again for a few weeks. Well, tried it again and the burning was nowhere near as intense and I've since worn it several times with no issues. I do still prefer the mini since I don't like the tingling that most plumping products have but I do still really like my gloss. ULTA is apparently no longer carrying POP and I picked up two of the FS glosses (Bare Nectar and Honey Rose) on for 1/2 price so now I have all of the colors. I know many people had lots of issues with the gloss and I think that sucks they got a bad product since there experience could have been so different. Honestly, I'm pretty picky about my lip products and POP gloss is my HG gloss due to both formula and color.

So thanks to another person here on MUT I was able to use the Port Examiner website to find out who Pop Beauty and Pixi imports cosmetics from. So here are the companies that the Plump Pout and other Pop Beauty products could have come from.

Some of the packaging for Pixi comes from Roma International.

That Port Examiner makes looking up where cosmetics come from fun and actually informative because in many cases some high end companies use the same companies as the drugstore lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I don't think Pop Beauty will ever come clean about what really happened with their lip gloss and whatever answers are coming out now are quite frankly too little too late.  The damage is done.  The way it was handled was a comedy of errors.  As a consumer I just see POP Beauty (and Pixi) products as being not trustworthy therefore I refuse support their business - in other words I just don't buy their products.  This isn't the first or the last company I have personally boycotted.  I just hope I don't get any of their products in a beauty box on a go forward basis.  As consumers we vote with our dollars and that's something some companies lose sight of.

Back