POP Beauty Plump Pout (discussion)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think these companies have seriously underestimated the reactions to this. and yes it totally "takes a village" so to speak to watch over our health and make these companies accountable. thank you to everyone on here that has brought the info to us and sniffed around and started the emails etc. its nice to know others are fed up with being treated like we're throwing a "hissy fit" over a lipstick

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  PM me for my mailing address. I do want it. I love Ipsy but am so pissed that they continue to promote that the product is not toxic and safe. They can't continue to say that without proof. It may very well be non toxic but it doesn't mean it's safe. I want proof from POP Beauty that it is safe and non toxic.
I really just wish they would send out an email to their subscribers saying something like, "It's come to our attention that there may be an issue with the Plum Pout lip glosses by POP Beauty. At this time, we can neither confirm nor deny the product is safe. Please stay tuned for more information". 

I mean, I know this situation must suck for them. They didn't make the glosses and they've tried sending out replacements and now they're in the middle of sending out March bags, so I'm sure it's a lot to deal with. And I'm sure it's their nature to trust the companies they partner with. But Ipsy has nothing to lose by making their subscribers aware. If something is wrong with the glosses, that falls on POP's shoulders. It can only hurt Ipsy's reputation by trying to brush the whole thing under the rug.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dashery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  PM me for my mailing address. I do want it. I love Ipsy but am so pissed that they continue to promote that the product is not toxic and safe. They can't continue to say that without proof. It may very well be non toxic but it doesn't mean it's safe. I want proof from POP Beauty that it is safe and non toxic.
I really just wish they would send out an email to their subscribers saying something like, "It's come to our attention that there may be an issue with the Plum Pout lip glosses by POP Beauty. At this time, we can neither confirm nor deny the product is safe. Please stay tuned for more information". 

I mean, I know this situation must suck for them. They didn't make the glosses and they've tried sending out replacements and now they're in the middle of sending out March bags, so I'm sure it's a lot to deal with. And I'm sure it's their nature to trust the companies they partner with. But Ipsy has nothing to lose by making their subscribers aware. If something is wrong with the glosses, that falls on POP's shoulders. It can only hurt Ipsy's reputation by trying to brush the whole thing under the rug.

Exactly! It's a logical thing to do as it would limit their liability on the matter and still inform people there's a problem, don't use it right now. By doing that they prove to people they care about the people who are paying them money for these products. NOT doing anything to warn people simply causes people to think the worst of them.

After reading this, I dug out the shrink wrap from my minis (I'm weird and keep the packaging from ALL of my makeup, even if I toss out the makeup itself), and loe and behold, there was no ingredient list on the shrink wrap. WELP.
Hey I keep all my packaging too! I thought I was the only one :] But it really disturbs me that somebody took the time to take it off of mine before they sent it out! Now I have no idea with or what have you. And it just infuriates me that's they're trying so hard to keep it under that rug they swept it under.

Quote: Originally Posted by PikaPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by hrhvittoria /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After reading this, I dug out the shrink wrap from my minis (I'm weird and keep the packaging from ALL of my makeup, even if I toss out the makeup itself), and loe and behold, there was no ingredient list on the shrink wrap. WELP.
Hey I keep all my packaging too! I thought I was the only one :]
But it really disturbs me that somebody took the time to take it off of mine before they sent it out! Now I have no idea with or what have you. And it just infuriates me that's they're trying so hard to keep it under that rug they swept it under.
LOL I'm a hoarder with packaging as well but I do toss stuff out if I have pictures of it.

I just posted this on my personal Facebook wall:

Quote: Potentially good news! POP Beauty will be releasing a statement on the matter with the Plump Pouts. What it will contain I do not know. Hopefully, as I replied to her email, a statement acknowledging something went wrong in the manufacturing process, discontinue using the minis until they know for sure if the products are safe. That, as I told her, is my primary goal.

Years ago, and some of you know this from past posts of mine, I had a bad contact lens fit by an optician which resulted in permanent damage to my eyes. My right eye has a "tear shape" growth at the back which my last Ophthalmologist said is permanent and that it must be monitored over the years. I am not a candidate for laser surgery to correct my vision (I'm nearsighted with an acute astigmatism) and laser may not correct the growth issue.

This plus other things that have happened to me over the years causes me to be very vocal when it comes to safety concerns. I do not want to see other people harmed by something that can be easily avoided. In this case simply stating "don't use the product until we know for sure" is what I want to see happen.

I like the full size Plump Pout. It smells like a vanilla cupcake. It's a beautiful color and had the minis been like the full size in the first place I would have most likely bought more of those Plump Pouts. But I've said it over and over, something went horribly wrong with those minis to smell so acrid and for people to experience such adverse reactions such as cracked lips, rashes around the mouth, redness and soreness.

Once POP Beauty has released the press release or make a statement I'll share it plus give you my thoughts on the matter then.

LOL I'm a hoarder with packaging as well but I do toss stuff out if I have pictures of it. [rule] I just posted this on my personal Facebook wall:
I'm so curious what this press release will be!

Does Ipsy's customer service department typically respond on weekends? I got two emails from them today. I'm ambivalent about their response. They are sending me an alternate product without me asking for one even though I unsubscribed a few days ago. What kind of gets me though is that the CS rep said she got one of the glosses and that hers did not smell like vanilla but it did not smell bad enough to prevent her from using it. Okay lady, whatever you say. Also, in response to me saying that I was concerned that people were initially led to believe there was nothing wrong with the gloss, she told me she was sorry I had been misled. I realize the CS reps are only doing their job and have probably been given somewhat of a script to follow, but it seems to me their responses are an off-putting mix of helpfulness and condescension.

Normally no but due to the issue with the POP Beauty gloss I'm not surprised they're working overtime.

I did the exact same as you. I have not heard back from pop beauty but ipsy got right back to me and were very polite. Apologized, said I was going to receive a gift, and told me that ipsy has learned a big lesson this month and apologized again. They said pop beauty said it was safe to use but understood that I would want to be careful and not use the product. My lip gloss smelled like burnt plastic. So glad I stumbled upon the article on zaddall when I was browsing the site. Will write back if I hear from FDA or POP.

Does Ipsy's customer service department typically respond on weekends? I got two emails from them today. I'm ambivalent about their response. They are sending me an alternate product without me asking for one even though I unsubscribed a few days ago. What kind of gets me though is that the CS rep said she got one of the glosses and that hers did not smell like vanilla but it did not smell bad enough to prevent her from using it. Okay lady, whatever you say. Also, in response to me saying that I was concerned that people were initially led to believe there was nothing wrong with the gloss, she told me she was sorry I had been misled. I realize the CS reps are only doing their job and have probably been given somewhat of a script to follow, but it seems to me their responses are an off-putting mix of helpfulness and condescension.
Just wanted to clarify - the said they were sorry I was misled by what I read on the internet and that they never acted like there wasn't an issue, not sorry that they may have misled anyone. Maybe it's just my interpretation, but the responses other people said they had gotten, and them telling people to review the ingredients to see if it was something you'd want to use makes me feel like they were trying to make people think it was just their reaction/sense of smell instead of acknowledging that other customers had reported the same. I still feel like they are trying to tell me that the horrible smell is mostly in my head and that all of their employees are happily using their stinky glosses. I'm sure that is what the CS reps are being told to say, as I am sure they have been directed to admit to nothing. If I worked there and was told to treat customers like that I'd want to quit. Sorry about the rant. It just upsets me that they seem to think none of us is capable of thinking or deductive reasoning and we will just believe any excuse they choose to give.

Quote: Originally Posted by With2Ls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by With2Ls /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just wanted to clarify - the said they were sorry I was misled by what I read on the internet and that they never acted like there wasn't an issue, not sorry that they may have misled anyone.

Maybe it's just my interpretation, but the responses other people said they had gotten, and them telling people to review the ingredients to see if it was something you'd want to use makes me feel like they were trying to make people think it was just their reaction/sense of smell instead of acknowledging that other customers had reported the same.

I still feel like they are trying to tell me that the horrible smell is mostly in my head and that all of their employees are happily using their stinky glosses. I'm sure that is what the CS reps are being told to say, as I am sure they have been directed to admit to nothing. If I worked there and was told to treat customers like that I'd want to quit.

Sorry about the rant. It just upsets me that they seem to think none of us is capable of thinking or deductive reasoning and we will just believe any excuse they choose to give.
Mind posting the email?

Quote: Originally Posted by springerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That has to be some REALLY strong vanilla that they put in there if it covers up the smell of burnt rubber.  
If all it takes it a micro drop of flavoring to hide a petrochemical smell then I DO NOT WANT THAT ON MY BODY! We literally eat lip products. I have gone organic. Screw dat! LOL I am not eating burned Firestones. hahahaaaa 
10.gif

I e-mailed them pretty late last night and they actually replied (from their end) at 1030 last night (1:30 am my time).

E-mail is saying basically what everyone else's is saying:

Hi K, Thanks for writing, and I'm so sorry about this!  As a result of a manufacturing mistake, the flavor/fragrance normally included in the gloss was accidentally left out of some batches. While the smell was off, we have assurance from POP that the product is safe. We're sincerely sorry that your first experience with this product was poor.  I've sent a bonus item out to your address as an extra thank you for sharing this with us. We rely on our community to keep us informed. I'd also encourage you to reach out to POP Beauty customer service regarding your experience with this gloss. Both ipsy and POP are committed to providing only the best for our customers, and we’ll be working hard to avoid such mistakes in the future.  Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns -- I'd be happy to help.  Best regards, Radhika

So ipsy told me I would be getting an UD lipstick. It was not in my shipment information, so I emailed them. Turns out they ran out of UD lipstick, so I will be getting a mystery lippie. Here is what ipsy said.

Quote: Thanks for following up with us. Unfortunately, we have since sold out of the Urban Decay lipstick that you were originally set to receive. I’m so sorry for all the trouble you’ve experienced! I’ve sent a bonus lip color out to your address as an extra thanks for your patience. I hope you like it!

So frustrating really.

Well I received an email back from Pop Beauty

profile_mask2.png

POP Info [email protected]

cleardot.gif
2:41 PM (0 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Lisa,

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience with the POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag. We are sincerely sorry that you have received a gloss that you feel was unsatisfactory.

Ever since POP Beauty started, our passion has always been to create the best products. With the recent POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag, there was a flavouring issue with a small batch and we are devastated by this. We want to assure you that the product is safe for use and that most Plump Pouts delivered in this month’s glam bags taste like their regular delicious selves.

Please accept our sincerest apology and we hope that you  can forgive us for this oversight. We will be doing everything to make sure this never happens again.

Yours Sincerely,

POP Beauty

Facebook

Twitter

YouTube

Sara’s Sonnet
www.popbeautycosmetics.com

Sent: Friday, March 7, 2014 6:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 2
Importance: High
I received a mini version of your plump pout lip gloss in my Ipsy GlamBag in Feb. I was one of the many that received the AWFUL smelling product. To me, it smells like burnt rubber. Obviously, there was something wrong with it because lip gloss that smells THAT BAD would never sell with all the competition out there. Now on social media I have also seen people reporting chemical burns from this product. I would suggest recalling this product.

So as of now they are still sticking to their story that everythings a-okay.  Just some missing flavoring but, it's safe to use.  Flavoring my a$$.  They didn't even offer to send me a full size one.

*edited to remove my email

I think them offering to send full size replacements is now biting them in the rear because if Ipsy has even over 30,000 subscribers (I'm convinced it's near 100,000) and if even 10% contacted POP Beauty that's still roughly/potentially 3,000 full size replacements they have to send out. Granted that's just me speculating since obviously we'll never know. Still even if it was only 500 replacements that still a lot of replacements and the gloss sells for $16 that's still a hit of $8000 retail that they're out. Again, we'll never know for sure.

What we do know is that there were potentially 25 bag variations sent out last month and that there are at least four DHL locations which contributes to how many of those variations were sent out. Each bag variation ranged from roughly 500 to 4000 bags sent out. At a high that's approximately 100,000+ bags and at a low roughly 35,000. This month please take a look at your Ipsy exterior shipping bag and at the top you should find your variation #.

Any how, if even 10% of the members were affected and contacted Ipsy or POP Beauty that's still a pretty big number. They easily could have avoided sending out replacements in the first place had they been honest and said they're aware of the problem, discontinue using it until they can prove the items are safe and merely apologized. Offering some people a replacement and others nothing is really bad on their part since right now both companies have a black eye for the problem in the first place. It's not right to offer some a replacement but someone else nothing.

Quote:Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 I think them offering to send full size replacements is now biting them in the rear because if Ipsy has even over 30,000 subscribers (I'm convinced it's near 100,000) and if even 10% contacted POP Beauty that's still roughly/potentially 3,000 full size replacements they have to send out. Granted that's just me speculating since obviously we'll never know. Still even if it was only 500 replacements that still a lot of replacements and the gloss sells for $16 that's still a hit of $8000 retail that they're out. Again, we'll never know for sure.

What we do know is that there were potentially 25 bag variations sent out last month and that there are at least four DHL locations which contributes to how many of those variations were sent out. Each bag variation ranged from roughly 500 to 4000 bags sent out. At a high that's approximately 100,000+ bags and at a low roughly 35,000. This month please take a look at your Ipsy exterior shipping bag and at the top you should find your variation #.

Any how, if even 10% of the members were affected and contacted Ipsy or POP Beauty that's still a pretty big number. They easily could have avoided sending out replacements in the first place had they been honest and said they're aware of the problem, discontinue using it until they can prove the items are safe and merely apologized. Offering some people a replacement and others nothing is really bad on their part since right now both companies have a black eye for the problem in the first place. It's not right to offer some a replacement but someone else nothing.

I don't really care if I get something from Pop Beauty, I was just surprised since others did.  I just can't believe that they think someone would use something on their lips, let alone any other part of their body, that smells like burnt tires.  I don't care if it is safe or not. (I am going with not)   I just had a thought,  maybe it's a new tie in with NASCAR.  "You too can smell like Talladega."

Latest posts

Back