Popppppppppppping Corn!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This recipe is for popcorn cooked on the stove. (If you've never made popcorn in a pot on the stove before, you've got to. Failing that, go for popcorn cooked in a popper, or Jiffy-Pop. Microwave popcorn just doesn't perform as well with the toppings I've recommended.)
icon_biggrin.gif

You will need:

• popcorn kernels (from a tightly sealed bag or jar; otherwise your popcorn can taste stale)
  • a few tablespoons of vegetable oil (you can use other oils, including specific popcorn-popping oils, but vegetable oil is a tried-and-true method)
  • a large pot with a lid (avoid cast iron or ceramic)
  • a big bowl
  • some butter or margarine
1) Pour in just enough popcorn kernels to cover the bottom of the pot.

2) Pour just a bit of vegetable oil into the pot — enough to coat the kernels thoroughly.

3) Turn the stove on high. Place the pot on the burner.

4) Keep a close eye and ear on things. It will take a minute or two for the oil and kernels to heat up, but you need to stand watch over the process. And don't let kids do this unsupervised.

5) Once you hear a few pops, get ready. Soon, there will be a fusillade of exploding kernels bouncing off the lid of the pan. Resist the temptation to open the lid and peek in: movie watching is seriously impeded when one is nursing a wounded eyeball! Instead, give a the pot a shake every three to four seconds, while still keeping it low enough to the burner to stay on the heat.

6) In a minute or two, popping will slow down. Once you're only hearing a pop or two every second, lift the pot from the stove. Keep shaking it, so as to toss the popcorn inside and prevent sticking and burning.

7) Once off the stove, popping will diminish even more rapidly. Give it a few more seconds of waiting and shaking, and then take the lid off and dump the popcorn in a bowl.

Here's where the magic begins.

1) Turn the burner down or off.

2) Scoop some butter or margarine into the still hot pot, and place it back on the stove to melt. (There won't be much oil left in there, but if you're concerned about healthiness, you can certainly melt margarine in a separate, oil-free receptacle while the popcorn is popping.)

3) Once it's melted, pour it quickly over the popcorn in its bowl, tossing it periodically to ensure equal dispersion. You don't need a lot; a little melted butter goes a long, long way, and too much can make your popcorn soggy.

4) Then, quickly, it's time to season the popcorn. Our secret recipe is Lawry's Season Salt and a dash of garlic powder. Don't use too much (you can always add more) and be sure you toss the popcorn thoroughly throughout the seasoning process. Taste a handful — or two, or three — and make sure the mixture is right. Then, get munching! Popcorn is always at its best piping hot!
icon_biggrin.gif

If you thought popcorn was addictive before, it's amazing with this mixture on it. Some flavor variations include using lemon pepper salt, or Southwestern seasonings. But for us, the Lawry's-garlic powder-melted butter mixture is tough to beat. Enjoy!

I WANT POPCORN (now)! LOL

Sounds yummy - we might have to try that tomorrow night, when we hopefully watch "Lost in Translation," before it needs to be returned.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) This recipe is for popcorn cooked on the stove. (If you've never made popcorn in a pot on the stove before, you've got to. Failing that, go for popcorn cooked in a popper, or Jiffy-Pop. Microwave popcorn just doesn't perform as well with the toppings I've recommended.)
icon_biggrin.gif

You will need:

[*]popcorn kernels (from a tightly sealed bag or jar; otherwise your popcorn can taste stale)

[*]a few tablespoons of vegetable oil (you can use other oils, including specific popcorn-popping oils, but vegetable oil is a tried-and-true method)

[*]a large pot with a lid (avoid cast iron or ceramic)

[*]a big bowl

[*]some butter or margarine

1) Pour in just enough popcorn kernels to cover the bottom of the pot.

2) Pour just a bit of vegetable oil into the pot — enough to coat the kernels thoroughly.

3) Turn the stove on high. Place the pot on the burner.

4) Keep a close eye and ear on things. It will take a minute or two for the oil and kernels to heat up, but you need to stand watch over the process. And don't let kids do this unsupervised.

5) Once you hear a few pops, get ready. Soon, there will be a fusillade of exploding kernels bouncing off the lid of the pan. Resist the temptation to open the lid and peek in: movie watching is seriously impeded when one is nursing a wounded eyeball! Instead, give a the pot a shake every three to four seconds, while still keeping it low enough to the burner to stay on the heat.

6) In a minute or two, popping will slow down. Once you're only hearing a pop or two every second, lift the pot from the stove. Keep shaking it, so as to toss the popcorn inside and prevent sticking and burning.

7) Once off the stove, popping will diminish even more rapidly. Give it a few more seconds of waiting and shaking, and then take the lid off and dump the popcorn in a bowl.

Here's where the magic begins.

1) Turn the burner down or off.

2) Scoop some butter or margarine into the still hot pot, and place it back on the stove to melt. (There won't be much oil left in there, but if you're concerned about healthiness, you can certainly melt margarine in a separate, oil-free receptacle while the popcorn is popping.)

3) Once it's melted, pour it quickly over the popcorn in its bowl, tossing it periodically to ensure equal dispersion. You don't need a lot; a little melted butter goes a long, long way, and too much can make your popcorn soggy.

4) Then, quickly, it's time to season the popcorn. Our secret recipe is Lawry's Season Salt and a dash of garlic powder. Don't use too much (you can always add more) and be sure you toss the popcorn thoroughly throughout the seasoning process. Taste a handful — or two, or three — and make sure the mixture is right. Then, get munching! Popcorn is always at its best piping hot!
icon_biggrin.gif

If you thought popcorn was addictive before, it's amazing with this mixture on it. Some flavor variations include using lemon pepper salt, or Southwestern seasonings. But for us, the Lawry's-garlic powder-melted butter mixture is tough to beat. Enjoy!

LOL Glad to know I'm not the only one who put Lawry's garlic salt on their popcorn..Everyone thinks I'm a freak:p

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) I loved that movie! I keep hearing mostly good things, but then the guy at the video store told me it wasn't that great, and now I'm afraid that my huby won't like it if it's a "dark comedy drama." But if you like it, Tony, then he'll probably enjoy it. It looks pretty great to me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by naturally Can I add to this ..and comment ...LOL .....
Try Old Bay Seasoning mix ..it's AWESOME ..adds a little "KICK" to that popcorn. Also ..on that healthy mention of Margarine ...DON'T ..unless it's one that has 0 trans-fatty acids ...and it HAS to say that on the tub. Margarines---contrary to public opinion ...are HIGH in trans-fats ..so you're NOT doing your health good by using them. You'd be better off with the butter. But if you want to use something ..use Smart Balance or something similar ...they have it on the package ..NO TRANS FATS!

Yes, of course you can add to the thread! LOL... So expalina trans-fatty acids. I thought butter was better for you than margarine, but in my own "lovely" way, I forgot why.
hhbanner1.jpg

Personally, I suggest sprinkling milk duds on popcorn to enhance the flavor!

Originally Posted by naturally Actually butter has saturated fat ..which still isn't the greatest ..some believe butter is better than margerine in regards to the "fats" ... I like butter ..but still use it sparingly ..but definitely over Margarine.
Trans fatty acids are found in numerous foods - commercially packaged goods such as cookies and crackers, commercially fried food such as French Fries from some fast food chains, other packaged snacks such as microwaved popcorn as well as in vegetable shortening and some margarine. Indeed, any packaged goods that contains "partially-hydrogenated vegetable oils" or "shortening" most likely contain trans fats.

Before the invention of trans fatty acids, we cooked food with lard, palm oil or butter etc which are high in saturated fats. Researchers found that saturated fats increase LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) which may increase the risk of heart disease.

Therefore, manufacturers started to use the healthier vegetable oils in their food production. As liquid vegetable oils are not stable to heat and can go rancid easily, scientists began to "hydrogenate" liquid oils so that they can withstand better in food production process and provide a better shelf life. As a result of hydrogenation, trans fats are formed.

"Similar to saturated fats, trans fats also increase LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) and lower HDL cholesterol (the Good cholesterol) therefore increasing the risk of heart disease. Some studies also showed that a diet high in trans fats may be linked to a greater risk of Type 2 Diabetes." taken from http://www.healthcastle.com/trans.shtml There are other sites ..just do a search on trans fatty acids.

"The researchers looked at trans fatty acids, which are found in hard margarine and deep fried and processed snacks and food, including fast food and commercially baked products. They are similar in structure to saturated fats, and are known to raise levels of "bad" cholesterol and decrease "good" cholesterol levels. " taken from http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/21/trans_fatty_acid.htm ...again ..there is always controversy over which is still better ...butter (with saturated fat) ..or margarine (with trans-fatty acids) It all boils down to your choice of poison I guess! Butter please! Now ..if you want something tasty ..and it might be pretty good on POPCORN too ...Coconut Oil ...WOW! You can get it in a big jar ...it's like a spread ..use it for cooking, spread on toast ...WOW! And it's mono-unsaturated ...the good stuff. It's also good for skin, thyroid problems ...alot more!

This is handy... I'm going to cut and paste this so others can read it in the food or health section! Thanks naturally.By the way, have you tried "I can't believe it's not butter?" It's not bad. However I am not so sure that it is actually too much better for ya.

Ty for all this info and work that you did on this post!

Originally Posted by naturally Not a problem actually (I just cut & pasted some things I found)...and most can find out more just by doing a search on trans fats. My sister told me about margarine shortly after it hit the market ..(god am I old or what) I remember the craze though ..something that's better than butter. Now some will say it's still better ..because butter has the sat. fats. I think I'd rather stick with sat. fats than the trans fats. I have used I Can't Believe actually ...it's not bad and I know they advertise as being 0 Trans Fats. I use the spray on for some things. Most times I use Smart Balance. Beau Brummel is another that's supposed to be "ok" ..it's made with yogurt ...JUST DON'T COOK with it ...doesn't do well in the pan. I use EVOO (Extra virgin olive oil) ...and it's fine in the pan (lots of pro cooks use it too).
I try to stay away from alot of that junk ..because we (whole family) are eating South Beach Diet ...which is just another name for Healthy eating. Heart disease runs in my hubbys side ..so he needs to watch the fats ...heck ..don't we all.

I don't have the link ..but could find it ..for that Coconut Oil ...let me tell you this ...saute chicken in that ...it's got the taste of coconut ...WOW! Folks use it for skin care, hair, foot, cooking, spreads, you name it! LOL

Awwww. cute little girl!!! I LOVE her smile!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw.. I cook with olive oil too. I like to use it for stir fry. It fries things up just fine.

You even have your daughter on the S. Beach diet???

I just normally watch carbs. I disapprove of diets and agree with you that healthy choices are the best way to go. I also indulge in things like cheesecake and popcorn occaisionally. I don't want to turn into a prune! hehe.

hhbanner3.jpg

Latest posts

Back