Price vs. quality of hair products?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did use some expensive products and really had luck but I think if you can get like travel sizes, you can try without wasting too much money.

First I'd like to welcome Arky to MuT!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I'm Janelle from NY - nice to meet you!

I think that there are high end products that are better than cheaper ones, and then again, there are some inexpensive products that are great! It really does depend on your specifc hair needs. Some more expensive products are designed for certain problems... and sometimes their ingredients are a better quality. It's all mostly trial and error. The only problem with a lot of inexpensive products is that there are fillers and waxes that only are temporary fixes. And sometimes these ingredients weigh hair down, or strip it of natural oils, and it can be a result you aren't expecting. Professional products are designed by professionals in the hair care industry and they tend to analyze more thoroughly when creating a product. They know specific needs and take into consideration what people want. The products are a part of why your hair looks great when it's done at the salon. The majority is the talent of the stylist. But I think that if you can use a professional product, you should try it... because in general - I do think they are better. But more and more inexpensive brands are finally trying to catch up to the better formulas - and making better products. So honestly - you have to try different things until you find what works for you. I tend to get better results from high end stying products... but really don't see much difference when it comes to a shampoo or conditioner. Unless they are for a specific hair condition... you can usually get away with cheaper shampoo & cond.'s. The stylers- I find most professional lines are better.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
sorry for rambling! lol

You are a great help, always
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 First I'd like to welcome Arky to MuT!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I'm Janelle from NY - nice to meet you!
I think that there are high end products that are better than cheaper ones, and then again, there are some inexpensive products that are great! It really does depend on your specifc hair needs. Some more expensive products are designed for certain problems... and sometimes their ingredients are a better quality. It's all mostly trial and error. The only problem with a lot of inexpensive products is that there are fillers and waxes that only are temporary fixes. And sometimes these ingredients weigh hair down, or strip it of natural oils, and it can be a result you aren't expecting. Professional products are designed by professionals in the hair care industry and they tend to analyze more thoroughly when creating a product. They know specific needs and take into consideration what people want. The products are a part of why your hair looks great when it's done at the salon. The majority is the talent of the stylist. But I think that if you can use a professional product, you should try it... because in general - I do think they are better. But more and more inexpensive brands are finally trying to catch up to the better formulas - and making better products. So honestly - you have to try different things until you find what works for you. I tend to get better results from high end stying products... but really don't see much difference when it comes to a shampoo or conditioner. Unless they are for a specific hair condition... you can usually get away with cheaper shampoo & cond.'s. The stylers- I find most professional lines are better.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
sorry for rambling! lol

icon_redface.gif
awww shucks girlie, you're making me blush! lol I've tried SO many things and been around the business awhile so I've picked up some pointers along the way! lol

Originally Posted by charms23 Wow Janelle, I definitely feel like I'm the presence of a great and knowledgeable person!
4_17_10.gif

Originally Posted by Arky

I am fully convinced, that the better products work on my hair versus the cheaper ones. I trade off every now and then and usually wish I hadn't!

Hey Arky! Welcome to MakeupTalk!

i bought matrix sleek tonight, so I'll see how that works since janelle uses it. hehe
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Bestyoucan For me it's not about the price. Some of the best products I've used have been fairly cheap (Dove, Infusium) while the more expensive, professional products made my hair frizz out. It's different for every person though. Welcome to MuT, Bestyoucan!
smile.gif
Nice to meet you!
Sleek.look is really nice Liz! Great smoothing & conditioning, and no weigh-down
wink.gif

Welcome to MuT

Originally Posted by Bestyoucan For me it's not about the price. Some of the best products I've used have been fairly cheap (Dove, Infusium) while the more expensive, professional products made my hair frizz out. It's different for every person though.

I used FF blonde shampoo and conditioner and I like them. I also use the clarifying shampoo and it's good too.

Originally Posted by charms23 Ooh Reija, nice avatar and profile picture! You look so pretty! Reija is a fox! Tony is a lucky man.

Love you new avatar, you are so beautiful. Tony knew he didn't want to lose you when he met you
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) I used FF blonde shampoo and conditioner and I like them. I also use the clarifying shampoo and it's good too.

I used to use Garnier Fructise shampoo and conditioner and like them. I haven't tried Dove. My latest try is Kerastase shampoo for damaged hair and I really like it. I just wish it wasn't so expensive!

The cheapo stuff makes my hair look like crap, but I don't see the need to spend tons on ultra high end products. I like John Freida, some midpriced salon products, and shampoo & conditioner from the health food store. I won't hesitate to spend spend spend on a good cut, but then i save money by having my boyfriend dye my hair.

Originally Posted by Liz Do expensive hair products = better product? Or are you buying it just for the name?

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) I used to use Garnier Fructise shampoo and conditioner and like them. I haven't tried Dove. My latest try is Kerastase shampoo for damaged hair and I really like it. I just wish it wasn't so expensive! hm..I´ve tried 3 different Kerastase products (Oleo Relax, one for oily scalp and one for sensitive scalp) and I wasn´t overly impressed. they don´t lather enough for my taste so I have to use a lot. and they´re expensive indeed.
their conditioners totally rock though!!! and the deep conditioning mask (Oleo Relax) is great too.

It's crazy how they markup prices on hair care products! Which sucks, because they are usually really good - but you're forced to pay a lot which is all mark-up. I was buying bottles of Paul Mitchell HUGE sizes for around $5 at the trade show... and around $10 for a 3 bottle 'package deal box'. Meanwhile for that at a salon or at a Beauty supply... you're paying 3x the amt.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Liz Do expensive hair products = better product? Or are you buying it just for the name? I usually find that expensive products are the best ones!!

Latest posts

Back