Price vs. quality of hair products?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz

Reaction score
Do expensive hair products = better product? Or are you buying it just for the name?

Originally Posted by Liz Do expensive hair products = better product? Or are you buying it just for the name? i try different things but i buy what works for methe best stuff i had found for awhile was the physique stuff the lady cutting my hair at the time asked what i was using since i barely had any breakage while she was combing out my hair. and that's what i was using the extra moisture stuff.

now i am using redken cus my brother brings it home and he gets it cheap.

i'm scared to use other poducts cause i don't want to waste money on stuff that doesn't work. i used redken and they didn't do much for me.

Originally Posted by Liz i'm scared to use other poducts cause i don't want to waste money on stuff that doesn't work. i used redken and they didn't do much for me. i do like the all soft stuff he has but i have still be getting breakage nothing like when i was using physique

damn, janelle needs to answer this. the hair guru. lol. i need stuff to make my hair not frizzy

i have frizzy hair too she needs to answer that too lol even though when i just wear it curly it's better since i put gel and some mousse in it

i haven't tried herbal essences it's that good huh? i might have to check it out.

Originally Posted by Elise Most expensive products I have tried on my hair just didn't work, like Lush, L'Occitane, Lazartigue. So I was stuck with cheaper shampoos and conditioners, they work just fine for me with a proper washing technique. Then i tried :icon_lovePhytolactum shampoo:icon_love, which is a very gentle moisturising shampoo. My long hair barely needs any conditiong afterwards. I'm definitelly trying more Phytoproducts in the future.
icon_razz.gif
I also like that they have a natural scent (Lactum shampoo smells of almonds)-i can't stand artificially perfumed stuff(like Herbal Essences, sorry Charms
icon_wink.gif
). hmm those work too then? i am makin a mental note

Originally Posted by Liz Do expensive hair products = better product? Or are you buying it just for the name? Liz I don't think it's the price it's about product...I spent $200.00 for my hair using herbal from india....didn't work out...now am using Pual mitchel....still not...i have used all herbal product...that in the drug store....and also used tree oil...Botanical shampoo...Don't know where in the world i should use to repair my hair...
icon_sad.gif
....getting bold eventhough i have spent a lot for my hair....seems like few left to be end up veing bold...
icon_cry.gif

Originally Posted by charms23 Not at all - I use Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner and they work very well, not to mention they smell heavenly. I also use herbal essences, its one of the few shampoos that I don't get build up with, and also it makes my hair feel really soft and look shiny as hell as well! Considering the amount of colour I've had on it inthe last 6 months, herbal essences has worked miracles. I also love the Dove range of special conditioners for coloured hair - both brands may be cheap but they make my hair appear a lot nicer compared to more expensive brands I have used!

Originally Posted by Liz Do expensive hair products = better product? Or are you buying it just for the name? If it works for my hair i will pay 2 dollars or 2o something,name brands dont matter just results.

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell I also use herbal essences, its one of the few shampoos that I don't get build up with, and also it makes my hair feel really soft and look shiny as hell as well! Considering the amount of colour I've had on it inthe last 6 months, herbal essences has worked miracles. I also love the Dove range of special conditioners for coloured hair - both brands may be cheap but they make my hair appear a lot nicer compared to more expensive brands I have used! i used dove for awhile cus it was so cheap i have thought about getting it again but i didn't see much of a change in my hair while using it

i haven't used herbal essence for a long time. i did use garnier fructise(sp?) and that smells good.

does anyone know if frederick fekkai is anygood?

I think it totally depends on the product and your hair. Some people have hair that just looks good no matter what.

For me, I love Matrix Sleek Look, it makes my hair soft, shiny, and smooth. I will totally keep paying for it. However Matrix Curl Life hasn't done much for me, I had better luck with L'oreal Curl Vive for when I'm going natural.

Also I've used a lot of Paul Mitchell, right now I'm using the Super Skinny Shampoo/conditioner/serum. Well the serums great, but the shampoo/conditioner make my hair feel kinda dry now. I alternate my products so it's not too bad, but I def. won't repurchase.

My 2 fave drugstore brands are John Frieda Sheer Blonde and Got 2 Be, all the stuff they make works really well for me!

Also Sally's has generic versions of many products so that's worth a try!

Originally Posted by Liz i haven't used herbal essence for a long time. i did use garnier fructise(sp?) and that smells good.
does anyone know if frederick fekkai is anygood?

I love his shea butter hair mask its awesome.
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Arky I am fully convinced, that the better products work on my hair versus the cheaper ones. I trade off every now and then and usually wish I hadn't! Welcome to MUT.

For me it varies. I just started using Dove's mousse on my hair and I love it. But I also use Alterna (which is pricier) and it works great too.

Originally Posted by Liz Do expensive hair products = better product? Or are you buying it just for the name? I think it depends on your hair type and what you do to your hair. If you have thick, shiny hair then drugstore stuff would be fine. But if you have hair problems (such as fine hair or frizzy hair) or ESPECIALLY if you color your hair & want to the color to last and not get brassy (if blonde) then salon products are probably better. Salons sell color-depositing shampoos for colored hair and higher quality conditioners to soothe & repair chemically treated hair. But just like makeup, it is a trial and error process to discover what works best for you.

I started to use Dove hair products and they are pretty well.

Originally Posted by Liz Do expensive hair products = better product? Or are you buying it just for the name?

Welcome Arky

Originally Posted by Arky I am fully convinced, that the better products work on my hair versus the cheaper ones. I trade off every now and then and usually wish I hadn't!

Latest posts

Back