Product Recs for Curly Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's Curly Girl: The Handbook by Lorraine Massey and it started the whole no-poo revolution. She's a stylist in NYC and her curls are awesome.

I useLorraine Masseys products usually as well. I think its the AnGel - it has more hold then the arc-angel I think? I absolutely LOVE her cleansing conditioner too it smells great and is so gentle on my hair and moisturizing!

You can generally use most products and not get that crunch though. Basically you put the product in your hair and once it's COMPLETELY dry you scrunch out the crunch and you have nice soft curls. If you do it before it's dry it can frizz up on ya'

I have SO many other products I've tried as well (a sign of a curly head I think?)

jessicurl products I like as well, and the famous chs curl keeper I like too - it gives off such a lovely sheen =]

Do you find you still need to use heavier conditioners occasionally? The Deva products are leaving me with soft, shiny curls but no definition at all. Think cloud hair.

Originally Posted by lilmama /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do you find you still need to use heavier conditioners occasionally? The Deva products are leaving me with soft, shiny curls but no definition at all. Think cloud hair. Maybe you're not using enough product? I think I had teh same problem when I first started using them. It didn't seem to really define, it was too soft and not quite enough hold. Then I went to see my hair stylist (who went to study with her and sells/uses the products) and she used twice as much as I was using and it turned out great! I will do a deep conditioning treatment or oiling now and then thoughI just had to scrunch out the crunch once it was dry

Thank you so much! I will try that. My hair does soak up a lot of product so that makes sense.

Bumping up... I finally found Graham Webb products at my Ulta... I was so excited, but they only had the Making Waves shampoo and conditioner. No gel though.

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Bumping up... I finally found Graham Webb products at my Ulta... I was so excited, but they only had the Making Waves shampoo and conditioner. No gel though. Hey! They actually discontinued the gel for a while....when P&G bought out Graham Webb they got rid of a bunch of products from the P&G family (Sebastian, Back to Basics, Graham Webb, Nioxin) but I do have it on good authority that its on its way back. I have 3 or 4 tubes of it left, I stopped using it as I found something I love even more. Let me know if you want..

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey! They actually discontinued the gel for a while....when P&G bought out Graham Webb they got rid of a bunch of products from the P&G family (Sebastian, Back to Basics, Graham Webb, Nioxin) but I do have it on good authority that its on its way back. I have 3 or 4 tubes of it left, I stopped using it as I found something I love even more. Let me know if you want.. do tell what you use now, please!
smile.gif

professional-sebastian-texturizer.jpg

I use Sebastian Texturizer Gel. It's not specifically for curly hair, its technically classified as a 'body builder'. The texture of the gel is not thick like a typical gel...its kind of like jelly..but more liquified. It's not sticky and my curls just react really well to it.

Lurker here.. but I do have curly hair

I follow the curly girl method and it's really changed my hair.

to learn about the CG method, go to naturallycurly dot com

I don't think the book is that helpful... the NC site explains much more

A great e-book is available at livecurlylivefree dot com

Tiffany, the author, really explains curly hair and helps you to determine which type your hair is and that helps to find the right product for your hair.

I have 3a/b curls, normal porosity, fine/normal texture and thick density. I don't use detergent based shampoos so my products have to be water-soluable (no silicones).

Cleansing- Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream

Co-Wash-suave naturals coconut conditioner

Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (dark green bottle), Jessicurl Too Shea

Styling Products:

Jessicurl Rockin Ringlets and Confidant Coils, Re:Coil (curl enhancer), Aubrey Organics Mandarin Jelly and the B5 Gel, LA Looks Sports Gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel, Paul Mitchel Round Trip (curl enhancer).

HTH

Nicole

I've been using the suave kids detangling spray in my hair when its wet and to my surprise it actually gets my wavy hair my curl...i also sometimes use tresemme bouncy curls xtra hold gel when i know im going to be taking a curling iron to it and tresemme flawless curl curl hydration lotion for frizzyness. I suffer from one side of my hair curling up nice and the other just being flat and not as curly very annoying..

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif Okay, heres what I use.....
For me personally, I find the leave in conditioner to be the most important step in my curl process...I use a creamy leave in conditioner and a wide tooth comb to get my curls to be less stringy and more chunky looking..

Leave in: GHD Remedy leave in, Abba Nourishing

Hey Gina, do you still use these as a leave in? Do you like them? I went to Ulta looking for a good leave in, and the one girl said she's tried quite a few but she still thought Infusium 23 was the best. I remember using Infusium years ago, but never saw anything great about it.

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey Gina, do you still use these as a leave in? Do you like them? I went to Ulta looking for a good leave in, and the one girl said she's tried quite a few but she still thought Infusium 23 was the best. I remember using Infusium years ago, but never saw anything great about it. Nope, I've switched to AG Fast Food....I know AG isnt widely available in the USA but ebay has them for cheap. I still love the ABBA and the GHD, but my curls are kinda inlove with AG fast food right now!
AG%20(57).jpg

I love the Garnier Fructise line for curly hair. I use the curl cream, mousse and just a touch of spray gel with a diffuser and never get crunchy curls.

Back