Product Recs for Curly Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are threads on this already, but I figured it was ok to post a new one.

Can you all post your favorite products for curly hair... shampoos/conditioners/serums/styling products etc.

I need a good curl cream or something. I don't want crunchy curls.. I want the soft pretty ones. Right now I am using a drugstore product that is good, but I'm looking for professional, higher end products. I am convinced I will never use a drugstore hair product ever again.

Gina, I'm especially looking for your recs!
smile.gif

I personally have not found a way to totally avoid the crunch. I use gel, which means crunchy hair. But only when it is wet. After it is dry you scrunch out the crunch, and you have soft, shiny curls.

For shampoo:

Jessicurl hair cleansing cream

Real Solutions Sulfate Free Shampoo

Conditioner:

Activate conditioner

Suave Naturals Toasted Vanilla and Sugar

Jessicurl Too Shea! conditioner

Styling products:

Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel

Suave Anti-frizz gel

Curl Keeper hair serum

AG Re:coil is really good for curl formation

I don't have many higher end hair products. I have tried them, and honestly don't feel like they perform better. My only expensive hair product is the serum. I buy it by the liter about once a month and a half, which costs me $42. If you do the math though, it's right on par with those little bottles of serum at the drugstore(and cheaper than some). I do deep treatments once a week or so, or as needed. I usually add a bit of jojoba oil to a deep conditioner or my regular conditioner and use my conditioning heat cap. My hair is in great shape, and I really love it now. And I am tooting my own horn a bit here, but strangers will come up to me and tell me how beautiful my curls are.

I forgot... you have gorgeous curls Leti! I have to look into some of those.. thank you! Yeah your right, you can never totally avoid the crunch. Some products are so bad with the crunch though.

i don't know if you have this in the states but john freida's frizz ease curl around shampoo and conditioner are great. it's actually got like something in it that makes your hair more elastic and adheres to curls better. the conditioner is also very light which is nice because it doesn't weigh your hair down.

i have weird naturally "messy" looking tousled loose curled hair, with like random ringlets in some places and just waves in others so i too struggle to find a product that turns it from being in the middle, not really curly or straight- to curly.

after washing my hair, i use john freida (lol they might as well hire me for ads!!) dream curls spray. it's like a spritz- in thing. it's not super crunchy as long as you use it on hair thats about 70% dry and don't use too much. i find the nozzle is crazy so i spray it into my hand first.

i have heard other good things about

-bumble and bumble surf spray (has sea salt in it and thickens your hair to give "beachy" curls)

-garnier fructise style soft curl cream (i think thats its name) which is a cream, which tend to give almost NO crunch but can make your hair a bit greasy if you use a lot.

hope any of that helped!

Thanks!

If you go without gel you shouldn't have crunch. I need the hold that gel provides though. If you try the re:coil use it sparingly. It is easy to overdo it and have sticky feeling hair. I think it is a salon only product, but you can get it online.Curl Keeper never makes my hair feel yucky. I have never overdone it with that stuff. It is great for soft, shiny curls but has zero hold.

Okay, heres what I use.....

I find that shampoo's designed for curly hair dont do much for me.....I opt for a moisturizing one instead.

Shampoo: Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo

I dont use daily conditioner, I instead use a treatment everytime I wash...

Treatment: Joico Moisture Recovery Balm, Goldwell dualsense rich treat, Matrix sleek look masque

For me personally, I find the leave in conditioner to be the most important step in my curl process...I use a creamy leave in conditioner and a wide tooth comb to get my curls to be less stringy and more chunky looking..

Leave in: GHD Remedy leave in, Abba Nourishing

As far as styling, I find that gels work best for definition and frizz control, but I too dont like the firm, chrunchy look - so I use a gel and in the palm of my hand mix a serum with it....this takes away the stiff hold but leaves the benefit of the gel

Styling: Graham Webb Making Waves Curl Defining Gel (I cannot LIVE without this!!) and Biosilk Silk Therapy mixed together

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif Styling: Graham Webb Making Waves Curl Defining Gel (I cannot LIVE without this!!) and Biosilk Silk Therapy mixed together Do you have a stock of the Making Waves product? I looked online for ordering info, and it says it was discontinued. Biosilk is nice... I used that before.
Thanks for posting girls!

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do you have a stock of the Making Waves product? I looked online for ordering info, and it says it was discontinued. Biosilk is nice... I used that before.
Thanks for posting girls!

Its absolutely NOT discontinued. They recently went through a packaging change....for the last 5-6 months its been out of stock everywhere due to the packaging change. I'm not sure if the new packaging has been released to the public yet but I picked some up today at my beauty suppliers.

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif Its absolutely NOT discontinued. They recently went through a packaging change....for the last 5-6 months its been out of stock everywhere due to the packaging change. I'm not sure if the new packaging has been released to the public yet but I picked some up today at my beauty suppliers. Cool.. that's good to know, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it.

I use Tresemme Curls up mousse and just blow dry with a diffuser until it's damp and let air dry completely. It holds up really good through humidity (typical Texas weather) and there's no crunch. It leaves my hair really soft. The bad thing about it though is that if you put too much in your hair, you get a little bit of white dusty flakes on top of your head but it's easily avoided.

Jessicurl makes amazing products. I love her weekly deep treatment. For styling Confident Coils Styling Solution and Gelebration Spray are an amazing combination.

Ouidad is really nice to. Her climate control or Tress f/x is really good.

I have wavy hair and I usually wear my hair straight but when I want to have more curls, I use Catwalk - Curls Rock by BedHead TIGI products. They are great for curls.

Originally Posted by moviedom78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have wavy hair and I usually wear my hair straight but when I want to have more curls, I use Catwalk - Curls Rock by BedHead TIGI products. They are great for curls. I just started mixing a little bit of Curls Rock with John Frieda's Frizz Ease (sp?) and the results have been wonderful!!
Thanks for your responses everyone! I'm going to look into them more tomorrow. I had a long day, and I'm dead tired.

I have dry 3 b/c hair and have used a lot of products. The one thing I have found to be true is SLS and cones are death to curls. Curl Keeper is a staple as is Karens Body Beautiful balm when my hair needs serious moisture (this just acts as a sealer though, really). I'm about to try the whole No Poo line by DevaCurl and I'll probably like it a lot, but it will have to be fantastic to inspire product loyalty in me. Ouidad is a very good line. But I found some lines made for curly (and especially black) hair are full of things that are really not good for your hair. Please read your labels. Curly hair is a never ending adventure, ain't it?

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just started mixing a little bit of Curls Rock with John Frieda's Frizz Ease (sp?) and the results have been wonderful!!
Thanks for your responses everyone! I'm going to look into them more tomorrow. I had a long day, and I'm dead tired.

Thats a trick I often use also....if the styling product you are applying is on the chrunchy side, mix a bit of serum into your hands with the product then apply - the serum instantly softens any over churncy product and leave softly, well defined curls.

John Frieda's Frizz Ease Dream Curls Curl Perfecter spray is not too crunchy. Also, Nicky Clarke's Endless Waves Defrizzing Rich Cream Mousse definitely leaves no crispiness - in fact, it was the softest that my hair had been left by a styling product. Neither of these are expensive - I got mine in Boots. At the higher end, I like Fudge Hair Putty.

Emma

Originally Posted by lilmama /img/forum/go_quote.gif You mean the Curly Girl method? So man with curls can not use it?

Latest posts

Back