Put Away Your Flat Irons

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Elle magazine

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
519200315522.jpg
0106200515030727.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
0106200515024863.jpg

Ted Gibson, celebrity stylist and owner of an eponymous hair salon located on lower 5th Avenue in Manhattan, is no stranger to outsize personalities. These days, he's finally able to give clients (famous and otherwise), the big hair to go along with their big, um, hearts.

The Inspiration

Starting with the fall runway shows and moving into Spring 2005, big hair was everywhere. Versace may have sparked the trend, but it shows no signs of letting up. Ladies, it's time to put away the flatirons and pick up those curling irons!

The Muse

I think Angelina Jolie is the perfect example of how to make big hair look modern, and I'm not just saying that because I do her hair.

The Real Deal

It's really not about back-combing (although that's ok for a more dramatic evening look), but about creating the maximum volume and texture for your particular hair type. To start, I would use a volumizing spray like Aveda's Volumizing Tonic, paying particular attention to the roots. While blow-drying, the old tip-your-head-upside-down move still does the trick, and you can lock in the volume by intermittently spraying a light hairspray throughout the drying process. When it comes to curling irons, think variety: Bigger ones produce waves, while smaller barrels produce a tighter curl. Whatever you choose, the contemporary way to curl is to use the iron at THE ROOT of your hair—using sections about 2-3 inches long—not from the ends up, like in the '80s. The overall result? Big, sexy, current modern hair. What woman wouldn't want that?

0106200515025025.jpg

Despite his post as high priest at one of the nation's most renowned temples of blonde—New York's Oscar Blandi salon—colorist Frank Friscioni has some radical advice for all you trendsetters (and followers) out there: Go into the dark. Read on for the full scoop.

Blonde On Blonde

That very very blonde look is over—it's harsh, unnatural, and often unflattering, not to mention high maintenance. But people have become addicted. Lately, I've been convincing my regular clients to bring their color down, to transition to a darker overall color— it's a darker blonde or a true brunet—with well-placed highlights around the hairline and the part. It's a younger, sexier, more natural look, with the darker color underneath setting off the highlights, which impart dimension and movement. If they're nervous about it, I tell them they can come back and I'll do their usual blonde, but no one ever has.

Unique Technique

I've been inspired by a French technique called balliage, where you literally paint the highlights on with a brush, but I've taken it one step further. In recent months, I've literally been finger-painting hair, picking strands and working them so they most accurately mirror nature: slightly darker at the root with no obvious demarcation point and a lighter, more solid color towards the end. Again, this goes against conventional wisdom—everybody is terrified of roots—but done right it looks just like a little girl's beautiful, natural blonde, with more depth in the scalp and overall. It's gorgeous.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

IN response to the title of this post Diane.. NO I CANT DO IT! I'm addicted to my flat irons! Although they've done so much damage to my hair that i've decided to get it all chopped off in a few weeks
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Laura IN response to the title of this post Diane.. NO I CANT DO IT! I'm addicted to my flat irons! Although they've done so much damage to my hair that i've decided to get it all chopped off in a few weeks
frown.gif
Oh yeah... flat irons are SOOO bad for your hair! It'll break hair like no tomorrow! But if you get it cut short... you better post some pics!!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I am addicted to my flat iron too. I use a ceramic one which I think it better than a metal plate one. However, I do give my hair a break every now and then. One week I will wear it curle/wavy and then the week after that, I use the iron. I can't help it! I love how smooth my hair looks when I use it.

Originally Posted by Mariposa I am addicted to my flat iron too. I use a ceramic one which I think it better than a metal plate one. However, I do give my hair a break every now and then. One week I will wear it curle/wavy and then the week after that, I use the iron. I can't help it! I love how smooth my hair looks when I use it. The ceramic ones are better, but if it has a heat setting dial even better. This way you won't fry your hair. The settings will also help you use the right setting for your hair type.

I'll only give up my flat-iron if I end up looking like Angelina Jolie--face & all.
tongue.gif
LOL!

LOL I know what you mean!
wink.gif
Don't cut off all your hair. Just have them trim off the dead ends.

Originally Posted by Laura IN response to the title of this post Diane.. NO I CANT DO IT! I'm addicted to my flat irons! Although they've done so much damage to my hair that i've decided to get it all chopped off in a few weeks
frown.gif

I'm not gonna get it all chopped off but i will defo have to get 3/4 inches off it anyway
frown.gif

Latest posts

Back