Refreshing Highlights with Semi-Perm Color

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Laura and SmartStyle,

I'd like to get your opinons on this.

pawborder.gif

This comes from a column in the Redbook, Sept. 2004 edition:

Quote:

Hang on to your Highlights

If you love summer's surfer-chic, sun-kissed strands, you can easily make them last into fall. Giselle, a colorist at Pierre Michel Salon in NYC, suggest this at- home solution: Choose a semi-permanent hair color (try Clairol Natural Instincts) thats one shade darker than your highlights, and leave it on for half the suggested time. "Color is revived and there's not as much contrast between the root and the highlight,' says Giselle. Protect your hue with a gentle shampoo....

pawborder.gif

Would you do this to your highlighted hair? Do you have any experience with the results of this method??? I'm interested.

Thanks!

mutboythinks.gif

Originally Posted by Californian Dear Laura and SmartStyle, I'd like to get your opinons on this.

pawborder.gif

Quote:

If you love summer's surfer-chic, sun-kissed strands, you can easily make them last into fall. Giselle, a colorist at Pierre Michel Salon in NYC, suggest this at- home solution: Choose a semi-permanent hair color (try Clairol Natural Instincts) thats one shade darker than your highlights, and leave it on for half the suggested time. "Color is revived and there's not as much contrast between the root and the highlight,' says Giselle. Protect your hue with a gentle shampoo....

pawborder.gif

Would you do this to your highlighted hair? Do you have any experience with the results of this method??? I'm interested.

Thanks!

mutboythinks.gif

Cali, i've never heard of that before & i cant really answer because i've never had highlights done in my hair. SmartSytle might be able to help you though as she's the PRO! Love the little guy by the way!! Where did you find him?

Originally Posted by laura127 Cali, i've never heard of that before & i cant really answer because i've never had highlights done in my hair. SmartSytle might be able to help you though as she's the PRO! Love the little guy by the way!! Where did you find him? Hi Laura,Ok thanks. I can't remember where I found that little jpeg but if you right click on him, you can paste him onto your posts if you like. heh heh

How come you've never tried highlights? I bet you'd look great with some red toned ones!

Cali

013image3.jpg
<--- does this include SO's? J/k

Well i have had copper highlights done but the hairdresser called them lowlights.. I've wanted blonde highlights before but every hairdresser tells me i cant get them coz my natural hair colour is too dark & i'd have to get the highlights re-done every 2 weeks. Imagine what that would cost me!!!

Hi Laura, i too have almost black hair and had some copper put through a few years ago. Since then, no hairdresser will let me go lighter as my hair broke off. I had a "moment" last year with a bottle of Jerome Russel lightener and it went bright orange so i had to re colour it. I have given up now and like being dark. My daughters hair is also black and she has a mass of freckles and bright green eyes, she is very pretty and Irish looking. Where are you in Ireland ?

I've done something like this before, but it was just to blend in my highlights because I was tired of my roots. I do semi-permanent colors a lot and from my experiences I have to go one level lighter than I think I need. Since my hair is already processed, the colorant grabs more than I expect. I have medium brown hair but I use light brown colors. If I go medium brown from the box, then my hair looks inky.
icon_exclaim.gif

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish I've done something like this before, but it was just to blend in my highlights because I was tired of my roots. I do semi-permanent colors a lot and from my experiences I have to go one level lighter than I think I need. Since my hair is already processed, the colorant grabs more than I expect. I have medium brown hair but I use light brown colors. If I go medium brown from the box, then my hair looks inky.
icon_exclaim.gif
Hi Kittysky,I am seriously thinking of doing this. It says to go a few shades lighter than your highlights which is pretty blondish on me. Did you find, that after you applied the semi-perm color, your hair was dry or a bit damaged at all? Thanks for your input, This is helpful to me. Also... what do you mean by "inky?"

Interestingly... I've also read that using this semi-perm color is what they refer to as "glossing." It makes hair much shinier ... it says...

123banner.jpg

Heya Ry! I don't have problems with dry hair because I do SUPER intense moisturizing right afterwards. I have to, because I'm a curly-girl and colorant will temporarily strip the moisture from my hair and I get POOFY!

Conditioning treatment:

With my freshly colored hair in a plastic shower cap, I spend about 30 minutes using a protein conditioner (I use Frederic Fekkai's Rx masque), then I add to this a shea butter deep conditioner masque for extra hydrating, and leave this on for another 30+ minutes. I rinse, then put a little bit of jojoba oil in my hair and let it air dry. My hair will look like a greasy mess and I have to live with it until the next day. When it's washed and dryed, my hair looks and feels very soft and shiny.

I seriously doubt you need to go to all that trouble, though. Just do a regular deep conditioning treatment for 20 minutes and you'll be fine.

Oh, when hair is colored brown, if not done correctly it can turn darker than normal and come out looking way too flat and deep (inky).

Originally Posted by Californian Hi Kittysky,I am seriously thinking of doing this. It says to go a few shades lighter than your highlights which is pretty blondish on me. Did you find, that after you applied the semi-perm color, your hair was dry or a bit damaged at all? Thanks for your input, This is helpful to me. Also... what do you mean by "inky?"

Interestingly... I've also read that using this semi-perm color is what they refer to as "glossing." It makes hair much shinier ... it says...

123banner.jpg

One last thing on the dry and damaged issue - it does damage hair, but not to the extent that I find my hair looks bad because of it. It's like damage in a loving way. LOL!

There is some dryness but again, it's easily treatable with conditioners and styling products. After I deep condition my hair it regains its old moisture levels and behaves fine. And if you're going to leave the product on for half the time recommended, then you really shouldn't have a problem at all.

Not like the sad Easystraight nightmare!!
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by Californian Hi Kittysky,I am seriously thinking of doing this. It says to go a few shades lighter than your highlights which is pretty blondish on me. Did you find, that after you applied the semi-perm color, your hair was dry or a bit damaged at all? Thanks for your input, This is helpful to me. Also... what do you mean by "inky?"

123banner.jpg

Originally Posted by donnamaryuk Hi Laura, i too have almost black hair and had some copper put through a few years ago. Since then, no hairdresser will let me go lighter as my hair broke off. I had a "moment" last year with a bottle of Jerome Russel lightener and it went bright orange so i had to re colour it. I have given up now and like being dark. My daughters hair is also black and she has a mass of freckles and bright green eyes, she is very pretty and Irish looking. Where are you in Ireland ? Oh no, you didn't go orange!!! My sister is blonde & she used a blonde dye in her hair last year.. She did a DIY but it must have been the WRONG colour coz her hair went orange too! It was hilarious.. She didn't find it funny though. She went to my cousin's house (who's a hairdresser) and my cousin tried her best but couldn't get rid of the orange tint. In the end my sis chopped her hair up to her shoulders & wore hats as much as possible for 2 months! I'm from Cork in Ireland, down the very south.. I'd love to be living in Dublin though as they've much better shopping (clothes and make-up). Where in the UK are you from??

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish I've done something like this before, but it was just to blend in my highlights because I was tired of my roots. I do semi-permanent colors a lot and from my experiences I have to go one level lighter than I think I need. Since my hair is already processed, the colorant grabs more than I expect. I have medium brown hair but I use light brown colors. If I go medium brown from the box, then my hair looks inky.
icon_exclaim.gif
Kitty girlie, i have a question for you too!! Do you get your hair coloured professionally or do you do it yourself at home?? If so, which hair dye do you use?? I think i might start doing colouring my hair at home again using semi-permanents..

How about the shiny factor? Does it work like a gloss?

And ty btw for the excellent 411.

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish One last thing on the dry and damaged issue - it does damage hair, but not to the extent that I find my hair looks bad because of it. It's like damage in a loving way. LOL!
There is some dryness but again, it's easily treatable with conditioners and styling products. After I deep condition my hair it regains its old moisture levels and behaves fine. And if you're going to leave the product on for half the time recommended, then you really shouldn't have a problem at all.

Not like the sad Easystraight nightmare!!
icon_sad.gif

Heya Laura! I used to get my hair colored professionally, but now I'm an at-home job kinda girl. I would have either several colors of low/highlights foiled in or once in a while go solid with one color. With highights and when my hair was short, my stylist would use permanent colors. When it was growing out and she did one color, she did a glaze, which is a semi-permanent color. Since I'm doing my hair at home AND keeping within a shade of my natural color, I just play with semi-permanent colors. I do a refresher color every month with about 5 minutes on my roots and then blend the rest through my hair for another 5 minutes. My favorite brand is Clairol Natural Instincts because of the shades available in the light brown range and because it lasts pretty well for a semi-permanent shade. Hair stylist bill = $100 From the box = $7 Can't tell the difference = PRICELESS

Originally Posted by laura127 Kitty girlie, i have a question for you too!! Do you get your hair coloured professionally or do you do it yourself at home?? If so, which hair dye do you use?? I think i might start doing colouring my hair at home again using semi-permanents..

I don't really know about the shiny factor, Ry, because my hair has more silicone in it than a stripper's ta-tas.
biggrin.gif
Bling bling! j/k

My hair is always shiny after using semi-permanent colors, but it's a different type of shine since curly hair doesn't throw light like straight hair. But, my roots don't seem to be as shiny as my colored hair. Hmm!

SmartStyle...can ya answer this??
redface.gif

Originally Posted by Californian How about the shiny factor? Does it work like a gloss?And ty btw for the excellent 411.

Here's my opinion Cali. Now take it for what its worth. As you know I work at a Salon/Spa and I can't tell you how many frantic call I get from ladies that highlighted their own hair and made a mess of it. Color correction is very expenisve too. That being said, if you are going to do this at least have a friend help you, someone that has had highlights in the past, they have a good idea of how its done. Also, do a test on your hair before hand just to make sure its the color you want and also time it right.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted by Californian Dear Laura and SmartStyle, I'd like to get your opinons on this.

pawborder.gif

Quote:

pawborder.gif

Thanks!

mutboythinks.gif

No no no no no. LOL. I am not going to highlight it. I was going to do this:

Quote:

Have any opinions on semi permanent color to touch up between salon visits?

icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif

Originally Posted by Tinydancer Here's my opinion Cali. Now take it for what its worth. As you know I work at a Salon/Spa and I can't tell you how many frantic call I get from ladies that highlighted their own hair and made a mess of it. Color correction is very expenisve too. That being said, if you are going to do this at least have a friend help you, someone that has had highlights in the past, they have a good idea of how its done. Also, do a test on your hair before hand just to make sure its the color you want and also time it right. Good Luck!

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Heya Laura! I used to get my hair colored professionally, but now I'm an at-home job kinda girl. I would have either several colors of low/highlights foiled in or once in a while go solid with one color. With highights and when my hair was short, my stylist would use permanent colors. When it was growing out and she did one color, she did a glaze, which is a semi-permanent color.
Since I'm doing my hair at home AND keeping within a shade of my natural color, I just play with semi-permanent colors. I do a refresher color every month with about 5 minutes on my roots and then blend the rest through my hair for another 5 minutes. My favorite brand is Clairol Natural Instincts because of the shades available in the light brown range and because it lasts pretty well for a semi-permanent shade.

Hair stylist bill = $100

From the box = $7

Can't tell the difference = PRICELESS

Cool cool, i have dark brown hair but i don't wanna go darker or add copper/red.. Gonna check out their selection of brown's next time i'm shopping. Thanks for that, i'll leave you know how it goes
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back