Reminiscing the past...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz

Reaction score
I was going through my high school year books today and I was thinking about what things I could have done better or changed if I knew what I know now.

What are some things that you would have changed with things in your past?

Mine are:

-be more outgoing. I'm kind of shy with new people. Ok, I'm really shy around new people. lol

-Actually do more school work. I did well in school, was top 10% in my class, but I did my work kind of half assed. I should have put more effort into it so I would have actually LEARNED what I was doing.

-Not eat so much. lol.

-Not have gone out with my first love. Way too much drama and time wasted.

-Gone to a different college. That was so not my kind of school. Picked it because it was close to home and the previous statement.

-Not f*** over my parents and put them through hell.

i would have done tons different i would have done more schoolwork i barely did any.

i would have dated the local rocker who had a band (he had the hots for me all thru high school)

i would have had more time to study i was too busy having fun and ditching classes.

be more outgoing. there were people in my class I never really talked to and now when I see them I just go up to them to talk. people have told me I´m like a different person now. and guys from my school think I´m hot now (must be the gain of self-confidence), which they definitely didn´t think in High School. I was known to be more of a wallflower, a good girl with good grades and so on. well I kinda started changing that my Junior/Senior year, but now the mission is completed
icon_twisted.gif

I would have done A LOT of things differently. First thing I would have done differently is break up with my then boy friend (who turned out to be my ex-husband).
icon_rolleyes.gif

Next thing is I would have been more aggressive & outspoken back then. (Oh well, better late than never), perhaps gone into a different career.

Anyway, I try to look forward and not dwell on the past because it can really get me down sometimes when I think of all the mistakes I made in the past.

Originally Posted by Amethyst Anyway, I try to look forward and not dwell on the past because it can really get me down sometimes when I think of all the mistakes I made in the past.

yea i am with ya i would rather live in the now than keep reliving the mistakes i made. those mistakes helped shape the person i am today and i think i am a pretty great person even though i didn't do all my school work lol

I would have done a few things different but then I wouldn't have been where I am and definitely wouldn't have known you guys then
icon_sad.gif
I don't know... sometimes things are meant to be...

Originally Posted by Naturally NOTHING! I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for how my past was! I'm quite happy with how things have turned out also ..I have a VERY loving family, a home that I never would have dreamed of owning, a good job, a degree. LIFE IS GOOD! Very good point, there's things I'd like to change but who knows if I'd still be where I am now? Because I definitely like where I am now!
The only big thing I'd change would be to be more outgoing ... I was very shy in high school and hardly ever talked, so most people never knew much about me. Thus, they looked at the fact that I almost always got the top grades in the class, never went to the "cool" parties or drank alcohol (I just studied at home and played some school sports, but wasn't that good at sports! lol), and my slightly nerdy fashion sense, and so everyone just stereotyped me as a nerd and treated me as such! It didn't really bother me until my junior year, when my friends decided I wasn't cool enough for them and started treating me bad. (I never wanted to be one of the "cool" crowd and didn't care if they didn't like me, but I did want a few good friends to talk to!) But by that time, it was such a small school and everyone did have stereotypes about everyone else, that it was hard to make new friends and I never really got close to anyone (though I did find a few people that would let me eat lunch with them and such!)

Thus I was thrilled to start college, where no one knew me (no preconceived stereotypes) and I could start fresh! I still wasn't super-outgoing in college, but moreso than in high school, and I made several close friends, dated a guy for almost a year (never had a bf in high school, no guys were interested!), and even though people knew I was kind of geeky since I was a Computer Science major, when my friends teased me it was never hurtful and was truly just some friendly teasing
smile.gif
And the other Computer Science majors didn't treat me hurtfully for making some of the top grades in the class -- they just asked me to help them with their projects! lol

So I guess everything turned out all right ... and actually, I think that because I had such negative high school experiences, that it forced me to be more outgoing in college. And a combination of being more outgoing plus some various college experiences (internships, relationship and breakup with my bf) really made me grow up and mature a lot!

And it's funny, one thing I don't regret is dating that guy in college... even though it took me forever to get over the breakup (we tried to "stay friends" but that just meant my feelings never had a chance to disappear until I decided to stop spending time with him), but it taught me a lot about myself and what I was looking for in future relationships -- when I started dating hubby, I knew that our relationship was what I was looking for! (Plus, my ex is getting married next week to a girl that is much better for him than I was, so we're all happy!)

i grew up in this town for 13 years. my parents split and it was last minute (literally) and the my 3 best friends and i were in a fight, all 4 of us, and i had to leave town right away. i never got to speak to them again, so i wish i could've said i was sorry because then we'd still be friends.i don't think there's anything else i regret.

nice topic, liz, and congrats on the millenium club
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer i grew up in this town for 13 years. my parents split and it was last minute (literally) and the my 3 best friends and i were in a fight, all 4 of us, and i had to leave town right away. i never got to speak to them again, so i wish i could've said i was sorry because then we'd still be friends.i don't think there's anything else i regret.
wink.gif

oh wow that sucks I'm sorry
frown.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek So I guess everything turned out all right ... and actually, I think that because I had such negative high school experiences, that it forced me to be more outgoing in college. that's why i'm excited for college in sept.! i've been to 3 different high schools, which meant it was very hard to make new friends and i kinda screwed it up for myself by not being outgoing and trying to make friends, so i'm looking forward to college, where i'll meet people, especially since we'll all be at a new school.

May be you can still find them... I usually call the directory for that state and tell them the name and city, if they are listed, you'll get their phone numbers at least. Thanks to the internet, you can still keep intouch
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer i grew up in this town for 13 years. my parents split and it was last minute (literally) and the my 3 best friends and i were in a fight, all 4 of us, and i had to leave town right away. i never got to speak to them again, so i wish i could've said i was sorry because then we'd still be friends.i don't think there's anything else i regret.
wink.gif

wink.gif

thanks
smile.gif
i was going through my yearbooks and was just thinking about some stuff. i don't think and dwell too much about the past, just something i had to write about last night though.
i know you'll do well in college. you sound like a hard worker and a very nice chica.

Originally Posted by Jennifer that's why i'm excited for college in sept.! i've been to 3 different high schools, which meant it was very hard to make new friends and i kinda screwed it up for myself by not being outgoing and trying to make friends, so i'm looking forward to college, where i'll meet people, especially since we'll all be at a new school. you´ll definitely meet more people in college. I was the same in high school. once you´re stereotyped it´s hard to get out of it. but in college at first nobody knows anybody and you can start from scratch. good luck! when do you start with college?

Originally Posted by Anya1976 i'm sendin ya a big hug {{{{ }}}} thank you!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by lilla May be you can still find them... I usually call the directory for that state and tell them the name and city, if they are listed, you'll get their phone numbers at least. Thanks to the internet, you can still keep intouch
smile.gif
they actually live 5 minutes from me! i moved to NYC, then i moved back up where i am now, but by then, a year went by, so i can't call them up and be like, "hey! what's up?" because it'd just be weird, you know? plus, i'm sure they've moved on. thanks, though!

Originally Posted by Liz i know you'll do well in college. you sound like a hard worker and a very nice chica. thank you!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by charms23 Good luck in college! That's what a lot of people do in college - they have a fresh start so hopefully you'll meet great new friends! And don't forget, you always have us here :icon_love thanks! i know i always have you guys :icon_love

Originally Posted by Arielle you´ll definitely meet more people in college. I was the same in high school. once you´re stereotyped it´s hard to get out of it. but in college at first nobody knows anybody and you can start from scratch. good luck! when do you start with college? thanks! i start in september
smile.gif

Originally Posted by lilla Yes, Jen good luck with college
icon_smile.gif
thank you
smile.gif

Hmmm...I've had such a colorful life, I don't think I'd change anything. Except maybe I'd lay off the drugs, especially in HS-but I don't know how I could have done everything I did if I was sober.

I would change EVERY SINGLE THING that I did at that time. If all of that stuff is what got me to where I am now.... I'd change it all!!! Not to say that everything is bad right now, cuz its not compared to so many people that I went to school with, its just that I'm not where I want to be and I'm not what I should be. I was shy, I played everything safe, and I held my tongue WAAAAY too much. I was effin' boring!!!!! I should have taken a more colorful route and had more fun, etc, etc....
icon_mad.gif

Latest posts

Back