SA behavior

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Cara I have many problems with my SA's at my MAC counter. Some are very rude and not helpful at all. I actually wrote a letter to MAC letting them know this! MAC sent me a free gift also, for their apoligies! But still does not make up for the rude behavior. I think we as the customer should be treated with respect and they should do their job, that's what they are here for!

yeah... agree with you 100% - they act like they are doing you a favor by being nice to you
icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, after hearing this, I can sort of understand why rudeness at MAC may be present:

I was talking to a few MAC associates recently and they were almost hiding away behind my counter (Benefit) looking at the products. One of the girls wanted a sample of our shadow primer and I told her that I would sneak it in a small sample jar for her to try. She was freaking out because she was afraid that her counter manager would see her over at my counter chatting with me and looking at products other than MAC. I gave her the sample and she gave it back to me because she said she would be in huge trouble if caught with a sample from another brand. As far as I know, the line is strict. Their assistant counter managers make $50,000 dollars per year.. I wonder what the managers make! Geez, I think if I made that much money working at Macy's cosmetics counters, I would be snobby too. Heh!

Yeah.. I totally understand. MAC S/As don't get commission, the rest of the store does, usually, so I think they feel that they really don't have to do anything except for book appointments for makeovers. I am not saying they are all like that, but in my experience working next to a MAC counter for two years, I've seen it happen most of the time. They don't seem to complain when they are doing makeovers because they don't have to ring items up or grab stuff from drawers, it seems like they are happiest when applying the makeup on customers.

It's always baffled me that counters will hire SAs that are unapproachable and intimidating --- how in the WORLD does that help sales?

Oddly enough (and tell me if anyone has had this experience)... I tend to prefer talking to male SAs. Oftentimes, it gets rid of the competition/intimidation factor. This is just a generalization of course, but it's an interesting dynamic.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Oddly enough (and tell me if anyone has had this experience)... I tend to prefer talking to male SAs. Oftentimes, it gets rid of the competition/intimidation factor. This is just a generalization of course, but it's an interesting dynamic. Me! Me! When I go to the Nordies counter (which is the closest one to my house) most of the female MA's are kind of snobbish and I *feel* like they are looking down at me. However, the male MA's that work there are so freaking nice. I would rather talk to them and have them help me than the females at that counter.

I would rather they greet me and leave me alone but are available in case I have a question or want to buy something. Sometimes the last scenario happens to me though that nobody helps me or if they do they are very rude. I avoid stores for that reason. I much rather shop online.

While I do not like to have a sales associate hovering over me at a makeup counter (or anywhere else, for that matter), I know that they should respected. I was once a sales associate in a clothing dept. of a dept. store, and although I was not on commission they did closely monitor our "productivity" (# of sales, # of items sold, and of course $). I was not under a lot of pressure to meet goals because I was full-time. But let me tell you (or tell you something you already know) RETAIL SELLING OF ANY KIND IS HARD WORK. Considerate, friendly customers are far and few between. Most people you have to serve are crabby, hard to please, or downright rude. In addition, many of the people you work with are competing with you to "claim" a customer as their own, so you're dealing with coworkers who are not necessarily nice to you. It is an exhausting job that often leaves you feeling like you've been abused all day.

Ever since that job, I am incredibly patient and understanding when I deal with any sales associate. I never rush them, never rush myself, and I never "swap" and have another SA ring me up when someone else helped me. And the best thing you can do is to be honest with them and tell them that you need time to look to decide on more items to buy.

Most of the time the MAC MUAs are nice. It's the SAs at other counters that are rude and witchy.

Ditto, I can't stand being watched when I want to look at colors and pick what I want.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Greet me and leave me alone!
If sales people follow me around, there's a stronger likelihood that I'll just leave the store. I don't like the feeling of being pressured into making purchases. I do, however, appreciate people who are genuinely helpful, giving me assistance when I need it.

Generally I prefer to be left alone to browse until I ask for help.

But then I makeup shop all the time. Some trips are buying trips when I'm happy to have help. In those instances I expect the SA to sit me down and apply the makeup for me. I have no issue during those types of trips.

The second type of trip is just to browse, check out what's new, take a look at products I've researched and been eyeing. I would like to have the option of opening a conversation with the SA during those trips to talk about what I'm looking at, without pressure! Unfortunately I think I'm viewed as a 'possible sale' and I don't want to waste their time when I don't intend to buy that day.

I wish they makeup companies in general would realize that the sale doesn't have to be made that day, and invest a little time in me on both types of shopping trips.

I prefer to be left alone as well, but I also worked in retail in high school and college so I know all about the pressure to make sales, keep up UPT's, $ per sale, etc. so I try not to act too annoyed if they won't leave me alone.

Also when I was newer to makeup, I really needed help/convincing to spend the money on higher end makeup. But I was always sorta embarrassed to ask because I really didn't know anything so I didn't know what to ask! The people at some counters were really intimidating (like at MAC) while at others, they were really helpful and made great suggestions for me. I remember going to the MAC store and staring at the shadows for like 10 min. and not knowing which colors went well together or would be good for me. If someone had said "that color will go so well with your eyes, good choice" then I would have probably entered into a conversation, but they never said anything so I just felt dumb and left.

Also I agree with what y'all said about males...I totally prefer male SA's! Just as when I worked in retail, I prefered male customers. It's easier because you can kinda flirt with them and build them up by telling them how good stuff looks.

I prefer to be greeted by someone upbeat and genuinely friendly. I want to be allowed to browse and checked up on every so often. Usually I go to a store with something in mind, I don't just look around aimlesly too much. But I want to be allowed to do so if I choose, and not feel bothered. I have encountered very bored looking and snobby SA's at all the counters at the local Macy's. It doesn't stop me from buying, because unfortunately that's the only place around here with high-end stuff.
icon_mad.gif

I'll add my 2 cents about working retail. I did it too, for (yikes) 5 1/2 years, it was womens clothing. I hated it after about 2 years but I was enticed to stay with the promises of moving up and making more money. I was never aggressive but I was extremely upbeat and nice. I was good at it and I had a lot of regular customers. I loved clothes and accessories so it was easy and didn't feel like selling. However, we were supposed to sign people up for credit cards and I was really bad at that. I was having credit problems and felt bad trying to convince customers to get into debt.

I think if you really love what you do, and you love what it is you're selling, that comes across. If you don't want to be there and you're just worried about the almighty dollar, you're going to come across as pushy and aggressive.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux It's always baffled me that counters will hire SAs that are unapproachable and intimidating --- how in the WORLD does that help sales?
Oddly enough (and tell me if anyone has had this experience)... I tend to prefer talking to male SAs. Oftentimes, it gets rid of the competition/intimidation factor. This is just a generalization of course, but it's an interesting dynamic.

I had a really good experience with a male MA at MAC once. he´s was no "competition", with the girls I always admire their makeup and perfect skin. I really like all the MAC girls at our two counters in Vienna, they´re all really sweet and helpful. guess that´s just cause MAC is more like an underdog over here-compared to Lancome, Estee Lauder and so on.
usually I don´t like SA´s to be too pushy. but at MAC they couldn´t be too pushy for me (if they know what they´re doing and saying!), just cause the range of colors is huge!!! and I feel a little uncertain about what to get most of the times

Originally Posted by spazbaby But let me tell you (or tell you something you already know) RETAIL SELLING OF ANY KIND IS HARD WORK. Considerate, friendly customers are far and few between. Most people you have to serve are crabby, hard to please, or downright rude. In addition, many of the people you work with are competing with you to "claim" a customer as their own, so you're dealing with coworkers who are not necessarily nice to you. It is an exhausting job that often leaves you feeling like you've been abused all day. hear hear. i totally agree about feeling like youve been abused all day. one or two shitty customers in a row make me really on edge and i have to force myself to be peppy and friendly again.
my main pet peeve is when someone walks into my store and ignores me when i greet them. i say hello nicely and loudly enough to be heard. they look me up and down and continue walking or turn away without acknowledging me in the slightest. i try not to let it get to me, but after the 20th time im ignored in a day, it starts to hurt my feelings.

im really not cut out for retail, personality wise. a few crap customers and i want to go stock a shelf for a bit so i dont have to deal with them until i cool off.

god bless the nice ones.

i want to work at a makeup counter somtime soon. I'm really nice and upbeat. but I don't know if I'm the best seller since I don't want to push people to buy things. Cause I hate when they do that to me. But I always answer a polite No, but I can see witchy people being rude if I were to ask them to open a Macy's card or something.

Originally Posted by Trisha The sad fact is, in retail, the witchy, annoying customers are more frequent than the nice ones!
Plus we have to pressure you to buy, we have targets to meet, and sometimes our jobs depend on it. I understand some people like to try things on, go away, think about it etc, but blatant timewasters do my head in!! I would never waste someones time willfully knowing i'll be buying nothing.

I definitely make a conscious effort not to treat people any differently based on what clothes they are wearing etc, cos to be honest, rich people are the rudest and tightest people around in my experience! x

hugs for trisha. youll appreciate this story, then.
i am not a MA. im just an SA. if people want a full face of makeup and a full consultation, its offically a makeover, and im supposed to send them to the salon in the back of the store. i do "consultations." that means i color match foundation, help pick out a product to suit the customers needs, etc. ill do a full face if its clear that the person is going to buy most of what ive used, or if its dead and i have time. im not really allowed to do a full face due to the volume of customers.

women constantly bamboozle me into doing a full face and teaching application techniques. (smoky eye, anyone?) im supposed to let them know that a makeover is a salon service, i just do consultations, etc. i havent found a tactful way to say that, and i dont really think there is one.

i dont work on commission, but if personally offends me when women are clearly out for a free pampering or free makeup for an event. its prom season, and i cant tell you how many girls suckered me into doing full eyes with glitter and liquid liner, etc. if theyre rude and demanding on top of clearly not intending to buy a thing, its a problem. i actually get in trouble if i spend too much time with someone.

anyway, theres a woman who comes in about every 2-3 weeks. she always asks for me for some reason. shes very nice, but she never intends to buy. she asks me to fully demonstrate bare minerals for her. foundation, mineral veil, a blush, the warmth, and the bisque concealer. then she wants some eyes, then the lips.

she wears fair #1, and she wants a starter kit. ive explained to her several times that the starter kits are a promo product, and we only get 4-6 shipments a year. in each of those shipments, only 1 fair #1 kit is sent. someone snaps it up the day its put out.

i ask her if shed like us to take her name and hold it, or if shed like to get the full sized products separately. she never wants to.

another thing that kills me is women who get pissed when there isnt a tester. if theyre unusually pissy, i explain that were only allowed to order certain testers a few times a year, and if someone makes off with it or ruins/spills it, there is no tester. we carry many brands. its not like its a counter where we have back up testers.

every day i have to round up the products that have been opened because women dont like that theres no tester, or they just refuse to use the tester. these products have to be sent back to the company. in the long run, its the consumers who pay higher prices because of this.

dang. i would hate to do that. but i know it happens all of the time. i know the little teeny boppers run around and play with the makeup all of the time. i don't ask for anything at other counters. i just browse around and if i might be interested in anything, i just ask for the price. i usually ask about things at mac, but y'all know i always buy something there. lol!

I'm definitely a greet me and leave me alone sort of person. I always feel bad when a SA badgers me and puts all this time in when I'm just there to look. I always say "Thanks. I'm just browsing today but I'll ask if I have any questions" to try and avoid this but it doesn't always work.

Though on this past Sunday, I was at Walgreen's checking out some milani shadows and there was this absolute pitbull of a sales clerk. She frankly harassed me. She initially asked if I had in any questions. I asked if the carried the Jane line---she said no. But then insisted on dragging me through every makeup line in the store (unsolicited with me repeatedly saying, I'd really just like to browse, thanks), pulling out colors and going "this would look great on you, don't you want to try it?" and looking offended when I didn't for the next 15-20 minutes as I tried to escape. I finally ran away to hide in the magazine and candy section. It was horrible. I will likely not return to that particular branch. I know it was slow, but she was so pushy and harassing it was upsetting. It's Walgreen's for goodness sake!

I understand that its hard for an SA to make their quota, some people dont wanna buy, just want to be nosy. My experience recently at a NJ MAC freestanding store was horrible. I am not sure if i even WANT to go back there. I got YELLED at by an SA! YES.. YELLED AT, all because of a request for an item that was an LE. Basically, it went like this, and i quote " NO! We do NOT have THAT! you should KNOW that was A LIMITED EDITION ITEM" I was floored. My face must have been beet red. She wouldn't even help me find something that was remotely close to the item i was looking for, she said "no, there isn't anything, but you can look if you want", IF I WANT??? How nice.. And this happened after she IGNORED me for almost 10 minutes, too busy yapping on her cell phone, fussing with her hair.. I wish that they weren't so nasty and if they dont know an answer, be honest, just say, I'm sorry, i dont know the answer, but i will find out... I think that it would be great if they introduced themselves and said, please let me assist you when you are ready..

I was floored. There were 3 people working that day, 1 was at the register, the other was applying makeup. It wasn't "overly" busy and yes, when she yelled at me, people DID look. I sent an email to MAC after it happened, its been about a week and half and i have not heard a word. She could have just been so nice about it. Now, i can tell you this, if i got back there, and she's there, I WILL remember her, i will NOT allow her to "assist".. not like I expect her to even attempt to do so. But if she had been nicer to me, i would spent alot more then i did. I know customers can be nasty, but i am ALWAYS kind to employees because i know if i am genuine and nice, that they will be more apt to help and assist me. Is that too much to ask?

Back