Sample Society: December 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mary-

I love ALL the Algenist products! I have received 4  total .5 oz containers in the last year from my samples.
That's great that you got all those Algenist samples.  It' a little on the pricey side.

I first tried Algenist because I recieved a sample in my very first Birchbox a year ago, and I have used it on and off ever since.  I havent recieved a lot of samples, but I buy the "try-me" kits from Sephora.  I think there are 2 different kits.  I've used the cleanser, the firming cream, serum and eye cream.  I do like the products, but I think after using the eye cream for a few months it just stopped working for me.  Maybe thats just my perception or I expect too much from an eye cream.  I like to change things up every once in a while, and I find I get better results when I do that.  I will most likely switch to something else for  while and then go back to the Algenist.  That seems to be my pattern this past year.   I recieved a good sized sample of Perricone MD's eye cream in my QVC New Beauty Test Tube today, and will have the new one from Sample Society on Thursday, so I'll probably use those up and then if I'm not impressed with them, go back to the Algenist.

Originally Posted by katlyne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude. Kit B is getting hooked up. I have Kit D. With the variation being a Stila Smudge stick sample instead of a lip gloss. I'm meh. About it this month. I hope the smudge stick is in a usable color for me. I don't use black eyeshadow, or blue or purple. Lol. Not very adventurous. I know. But I look good in neutral. I've perfected neutral. It would have been nice as a little christmas present from SS for them to send all of us a full size of something.
I am in love with the Stila Smudge Sticks!  I generally stick to more muted neutrals, but the Stila in Purple Tang is my favorite.  Its a smokey purple, and not too bold or bright.  I also like the Blue Ribbon shade and there's a green one that I like too.  I hope you like the one you get!

Originally Posted by marybbryant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am in love with the Stila Smudge Sticks!  I generally stick to more muted neutrals, but the Stila in Purple Tang is my favorite.  Its a smokey purple, and not too bold or bright.  I also like the Blue Ribbon shade and there's a green one that I like too.  I hope you like the one you get
I'm talking about th smudge stick eyeliners.  They make a smudge shadow too, that we got in a previous Sample Society box.  I got a toupey shade, and I love that as well.  I hope you fall in love with whatever one you get!

I'm getting kit B.  I think I'm going to pleased with all the products this month.   When I first learned we were getting the Murad Retinol product, I thought I couldnt use it because I use Retin-A on my face, but then I thought I could just use it somewhere else, like my chest. 

My box is being delivered on Thursday.  I cant wait! 

Got my box today and wanted to share pics. I really like this months box though I do think it could have been a bit more festive? Anyhow, here are a few pics.
smile.gif

This was my first box and I hate to say that I'm not impressed but.. I am 24 years old and I received 2 Anti-aging products (The Murad Retinol and Delaney Eye Creme).. I'm sure technically I could start using them now, but I figured this was more of a beauty sub, and would rather see more of those types of items.. I might give it one more month to wow me, otherwise it'll be so long

yup yup same page as you, 21 here and I got 3 anti aging products out of 5... I think this is just not the right sub for me, and I'll probably cancel

Not that these are horrible boxes, but I'm really glad I cancelled... Especially since they're starting to repeat products. 

Got to use up some of my skincare stash before I sign back up for this one :/

I'm getting Box B,  and I'm thrilled.  I was meh about last month,  so I'm glad to be on the upswing.  Plus their variations are much more 'fair',  so there is less box envy.

Originally Posted by katlyne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude. Kit B is getting hooked up. I have Kit D. With the variation being a Stila Smudge stick sample instead of a lip gloss. I'm meh. About it this month. I hope the smudge stick is in a usable color for me. I don't use black eyeshadow, or blue or purple. Lol. Not very adventurous. I know. But I look good in neutral. I've perfected neutral. It would have been nice as a little christmas present from SS for them to send all of us a full size of something.
I got the smudge crayon previously,  and got a copper tone.  I wasn't sure about it,  but the color looked great on!  Plus the crayons are better than the regular sticks in my opinion,  they don't bleed and have a very smooth application.

I got the one with the mascara. Which will probably not get used... I stuck it in the basket of mascara that I have... lol.

Super interested in the Stila smudge stick and the Lollia hand cream. I have little perfumes from Lollia and I love them! So cute!

If anyone wants to trade, let me know!

We're box twins!

Originally Posted by BagLady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am getting kit B and my dashboard updated.

i'm looking forward to trying the Philosophy as a shower gel. Those 2 and or 3 in 1/s never work for my curly (frizz prone) hair.

Also excited (and a little scared haha) to try the Murad retinol and the BB cream although they are usually too light for me. 

I got Kit C with the Stila.  I'm fairly happy with this box.  Still not completely sold on Sample Society.  I don't know.  I love that it comes at the beginning of the month but I feel like the products are not what I'm looking for.  I was excited about the BB cream, but I already tried it as soon as I got the box and I'm not thrilled.  I feel like my face feels oily with it on.  Haven't really tried anything else yet, but I'm looking forward to trying the Philosophy bath gel.

I figure I'll give Sample Society another month or two and see if I still feel as "meh" about it then.  Maybe they'll impress me yet...

I got Kit C with the Stila.  I'm fairly happy with this box.  Still not completely sold on Sample Society.  I don't know.  I love that it comes at the beginning of the month but I feel like the products are not what I'm looking for.  I was excited about the BB cream, but I already tried it as soon as I got the box and I'm not thrilled.  I feel like my face feels oily with it on.  Haven't really tried anything else yet, but I'm looking forward to trying the Philosophy bath gel. I figure I'll give Sample Society another month or two and see if I still feel as "meh" about it then.  Maybe they'll impress me yet...
In my experience with BB creams, most have left me a bit dewy looking. For a matte look, I usually put a little powder on top to set.

Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think these are awesome boxes.
I agree!  I have a few different sub boxes and in the long run SS is my favorite.  I am usually more excited for BB to come but I am often slightly bummed with my BB box.  I almost always use and like the samples from SS.  But I like skin care items more than other ladies may.

Just got my box Kit D...

The Stila is tiny (about half size). I got it in black.

The Murad Retinol is 3ml or 0.1 ounce
The Delaney eye cream is 10 ml or .33 ounce (nice size for an eye cream sample)
Hanskin BB Cream is 10ml or .33 ounce
Living Grace 30 ml or 1 ounce

Overall, not impressed with this box this month.

How is everyone else feeling about their boxes and SS in general?

This is my 2nd box...I am thinking of canceling.

Latest posts

Back