Sample Society: December 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been keeping track of BB, ss and ipsy the last 3 months. ipsy had a return of 5, BB was over 3 times, and ss was the loser at like 2.8 times what I paid. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> made me sad butmade me see how much they have been slipping. I used to love sample society, but I think ipsy and ss will be getting cut from my budget thismonth! :(I'm sure this box had a high value, but I am getting a lot of stuff I need to use up!

Cancelling as well :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Sad to see this one go though since it used to be my favorite subscription. I think the best box was the one that covered all the bases - skin care, nails, hair, and makeup. I don't even mind that most of the time it is skin care based, but I haven't fell in love with any of the products I've sampled. And if I did, the full size version would probably cost upwards of $80. I've used the $15 gift code ONCE and I never sit down and read Allure. Bye Sample Society :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I will be trading my Vapour Organics gloss in Twinkle if anyone is interested!

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've found Glossybox to give out pretty interesting skincare samples!
Yes...I agree.Their spa cleansing water the other month was FANTASTIC. I subscribe to GB (though I may unsubscribe if their customer service doesn't shape up!). I also sub to BB, PopSugar, New Beauty Test Tube and Ipsy. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Okay, gonna have to weigh in here and defend my favorite sub. I don't see this as the anti-aging box at all. November's box didn't have a single anti-aging product in it at all, dyptique parfume, lipstick, facial cleansing oil, hand cream and hair oil.

SS was also the sub where I got a full-sized deborah lippman nail polish, the jane iredale mascara and vincent longo lip pencil. 

I think part of the perception problem might be that the brands SS includes are traditionally far more expensive brands that generally only an older demographic (and I use this loosely) can afford. Sisely, Dyptique Erno Lazlo are not exactly brands that I would have been able to even consider right out of college. That's not to say that I can afford them at full retail, even now (Dypique had room candles for >$95!). But I do appreciate being able to try out these brands on the cheap....because if I really do fall in love with one of these products, I will buy it. SS is my replacement for walking into Barney's and ask for a gazillion samples to get hounded by sales people. The boxes' items, brands and variety of skin, facial, and hair care and makeup feel curated....like they are included because they are effective or of good quality. That's why I like SS.... And that's why I feel better about MyGlam/Ispy than before, and also why I cancelled Lookbag. 

SS is providing me a service beyond just the actual product...they are introducing me to a lot of different brands and products that I never would have even considered.... Ok, tirade over! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay, gonna have to weigh in here and defend my favorite sub. I don't see this as the anti-aging box at all. November's box didn't have a single anti-aging product in it at all, dyptique parfume, lipstick, facial cleansing oil, hand cream and hair oil.

SS was also the sub where I got a full-sized deborah lippman nail polish, the jane iredale mascara and vincent longo lip pencil. 

I think part of the perception problem might be that the brands SS includes are traditionally far more expensive brands that generally only an older demographic (and I use this loosely) can afford. Sisely, Dyptique Erno Lazlo are not exactly brands that I would have been able to even consider right out of college. That's not to say that I can afford them at full retail, even now (Dypique had room candles for >$95!). But I do appreciate being able to try out these brands on the cheap....because if I really do fall in love with one of these products, I will buy it. SS is my replacement for walking into Barney's and ask for a gazillion samples to get hounded by sales people. The boxes' items, brands and variety of skin, facial, and hair care and makeup feel curated....like they are included because they are effective or of good quality. That's why I like SS.... And that's why I feel better about MyGlam/Ispy than before, and also why I cancelled Lookbag. 

SS is providing me a service beyond just the actual product...they are introducing me to a lot of different brands and products that I never would have even considered.... Ok, tirade over! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks! It was great to hear your POV. You actually convinced me to not cancel and see how I feel about January's box. 

Not to lecture, but 21 is the right age to start anti-aging products. The point of them is prevention, and they are more effective as you get older if you are not trying to mitigate damage.

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally don't think the sizes are too small, cuz they do sample really expensive stuff. You are not "older people", but I take it you do use anti aging products, by "older" I think I would go for like 30+(which is NOT OLD, don't get me wrong, just people that WILL AND DO take more advantage of anti aging products), if I was 30 or so, I would love this sub, but right now, I'm 21, being past 20 was traumatic enough for me...cuz I have issues with aging and I just don't want a box to remind me that I will eventually age, but right now...if I see a gray hair in my head I cry seriously I CRY...luckily that hasn't happened, it was just a reflection of the light in my hair *sigh*. I don't think there's anything wrong with this sub for the right audience, I'm just not part of that audience personally.

Not to lecture, but 21 is the right age to start anti-aging products. The point of them is prevention, and they are more effective as you get older if you are not trying to mitigate damage.
That's a good point. Preventative care will help definitely. Easier to start now than later, when the "damage" is already done lol. I wish I'd taken better care of my skin in my teens and early twenties, but I'm 27 and catching up now lol.

I use retin-a once a week/a few times a month, to help with break outs, and its also great as an anti aging product, my eye cream is anti aging, I didn't get it cuz of that, but cuz it's really moisturizing, so I kinda do a bit for anti aging, but I don't need products that will get rid of my fine lines cuz  I don't have them, or that would lift my face, cuz I don't need that, but I do some things for  prevention, and ofc never leave the house without sunscreen.

The only issue I have with my box this month is that I already had received Jane Iredale Longest Lash in Black Ice in my Aug. box. I do not like to get the exact same sample twice from one company. Maybe that is a little picky but I want something different in each box.

Also, how do I know from my SS page which kit is which? I have yet to see anything tell me that I have a certain "kit" ? Any help on that would be welcome. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks ladies.

Originally Posted by LunaFaerie79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only issue I have with my box this month is that I already had received Jane Iredale Longest Lash in Black Ice in my Aug. box. I do not like to get the exact same sample twice from one company. Maybe that is a little picky but I want something different in each box.

Also, how do I know from my SS page which kit is which? I have yet to see anything tell me that I have a certain "kit" ? Any help on that would be welcome. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks ladies.
It's on your account page > order history...

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's on your account page > order history...

Thank you. I see it now. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have my box already I just had no clue which one it was, LOL. Thanks again.
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by NaturalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it me, or does the Vapour lipgloss smell really funny? Like it is off?  

My Vapour lipgloss doesn't really smell off, but it does remind me of a lighter version of what the Mary Kay lipsticks would smell like when you had them too long, kindof a light plasticy smell.  Mine was also really hard to squeeze out of the tube.  I swear I hear it crunch before a little squiggle jumped out.  I assumed it was because it was fairly cold when it was delivered to me.  I didn't test it until it had been in the house for several hours.

Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree. I was all over sunscreen and anti-aging products once I hit 19. It's better to deal with it now than later and age gracefully with minimum wrinkles ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So... i know everyone has been kind of down on this box, but i just got done doing the math. It's worth 76.69!!! 
11.gif

That's their highest value box since I've been a member. It might not be for everyone, but I think that even though the items weren't super exciting, once I went to the websites and read more about each item I was more into them. That eye cream is a huge sample and it's $135 full sized! That sample alone is worth $34.27!

I have a problem. I re-subbed AGAIN. I just can't quit you SS. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I looked back on the two boxes I have got. I wasn't able to use everything but there was at least one thing in each box that I have or intend to by the full size product. Finding products I love that I may have never found on my own is the reason I do these boxes. SS has been able to do that for me.

I agree. I was all over sunscreen and anti-aging products once I hit 19. It's better to deal with it now than later and age gracefully with minimum wrinkles ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Exactly. I started very young and now at 39 I have very very fine wrinkles under my eyes and that is it. Friends of mine at the same age and younger have a lot more. I am hoping it is because I started taking care of my face before I needed it. Could be I just have fabulous genetics. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't subscribe to Sample Society, but this month, I would have loved to have gotten the Vapour.  It is my favorite line of lip glosses/lip sticks/cheek stains.  I'm jealous!

Latest posts

Back