Sample Society July 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, now that I'm home I can see more stuff!  Yep, the $10 card will be different:  Now it can be used on *anything* on the store, not just a brand in the box.

And it looks like they might be repositioning themselves as less skincare-focused.  If so,   I know other people don't have the same luck I do with BB, but they do phenomenally well at sending me boxes with *a* haircare product, *a* skincare product, *a* makeup item, etc., not a sunblock, an eyecream, a night serum, a hand cream, and a lipgloss.  *Four* moisturizers.  Snooze.  That was the box that made me cancel Sample Society out of sheer boredom the last time I gave them another try. 
At least you got a lip gloss with yours! I got FIVE moisturizers and a pretty lousy perfume!

Oh wow. I wonder how many people quit on them last month after the Moisturizer Extravaganza? It must have been a TON.

I might want to retry this. It sounds like they were really listening to our concerns.

I think June's box was probably left overs, which is why it was a moisturizer-party. Because shortly after they did the warehouse sale, and now they're re-launching, which is probably something that has been in the works for months.

Most re-launches don't work out so well, but it took me all of 10 seconds to read what was going to be in the box and I was signed back up again. I love the new look of the boxes as well. They have always made it very easy to sign up and cancel, and have top notch customer service, so I'm excited to see where they take the subscription after this re-launch!

@@MissJexie Totally agree! Since my reasons for canceling had nothing to do with CS and everything to do with the contents themselves, I'm really hoping the new boxes are more in line with what _Allure_ magazine is promoting in the magazines themselves. I've always thought that was a *huge* disconnect and misstep. The boxes have never felt like they stepped out of the monthly beauty pages -- which have always been the first place I go in every issue of every publication -- of the magazine. This is a huge opportunity for companies if it's handled correctly: Featured in the magazine + featured in the boxes = an insane amount of exposure and word of mouth advertising.

@@MissJexie Totally agree! Since my reasons for canceling had nothing to do with CS and everything to do with the contents themselves, I'm really hoping the new boxes are more in line with what _Allure_ magazine is promoting in the magazines themselves. I've always thought that was a *huge* disconnect and misstep. The boxes have never felt like they stepped out of the monthly beauty pages -- which have always been the first place I go in every issue of every publication -- of the magazine. This is a huge opportunity for companies if it's handled correctly: Featured in the magazine + featured in the boxes = an insane amount of exposure and word of mouth advertising.
That is a really good point--I've rarely seen stuff like Sisley in Allure, and I don't think Allure is targeted to individuals who can just walk in and buy such expensive products without batting an eyelash. I'm not going to have any issue with the occasional L'Oreal product thrown in there, if it means more accessible (read: less heartbreakingly overpriced) items will be available for purchase.

I am getting low on moisturizers since I canceled last October (I think).  I was thinking about signing back up for Sample Society and this box was the push I needed. This months box looks amazing.  I also tried the L'Oreal lip gloss and I really like it.  I'm hoping they have a variety of colors.  I was bummed I missed out on the warehouse sale!  Five boxes for $25 was a great deal.  I'm guessing I could find a few on Ebay if I really wanted one. 

I knew they were revamping the SS box and read about it last month.. I asked, but I guess it was too early for members signed up to have answers.

I think I'm going to drop Ipsy and pick this one up. They used to have the top brand names in their boxes.. but rarely full sized products. which is what they say " samples'.

Laura Mercier is one of my top " go to" brands for facial primers, concealers, highlighters, etc. 

That info pushed me over the fence. 

I just joined. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
The LM alone got me to sign back up. I cancelled the old subscription because I eventually got too much skincare, most of which didn't fit with my skincare needs. But I did get some awesome things that I fell in love with, so it wasn't all a bust. I really do hope that the new revamped Sample Society has more variety in their boxes.

I knew they were revamping the SS box and read about it last month.. I asked, but I guess it was too early for members signed up to have answers.

I think I'm going to drop Ipsy and pick this one up. They used to have the top brand names in their boxes.. but rarely full sized products. which is what they say " samples'.

Laura Mercier is one of my top " go to" brands for facial primers, concealers, highlighters, etc. 

That info pushed me over the fence. 

I just joined. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I dropped Ipsy too in favor of this one.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I dropped Sample Society a few months ago after receiving what seemed like my eleventy-leventh Alterna and Murad samples. But I like what I see in the spoiler, so I'm back in. I think I'll be more likely to use the $10 for any $50 purchase, too.

I dropped Sample Society a few months ago after receiving what seemed like my eleventy-leventh Alterna and Murad samples. But I like what I see in the spoiler, so I'm back in. I think I'll be more likely to use the $10 for any $50 purchase, too.
Totally with you!  I actually never got a 'repeat' item, but got sick of Alterna & Murad samples in pretty much every box.  Not that I don't like those products, but a box promoted by Allure should've had more diversity.  But now. . whoa!  I totally caved and signed back up.  It looks like all the products in the picture are full size, but I'm sure we'll be getting small samples.   

I would also rather get $10 off $50 purchases on anything at Beautybar, vs. $15 on just the featured samples.   I bet that's why they were offering all the mystery boxes this month. . .they're just getting rid of old stock and bringing new and fresh items in!  Yay!  

I got sucked back in as well!  I quit last month in time that I got a full refund.  I can't say no to illuminating powders, BL and lip gloss.  I hope this is a new trend for them!

Latest posts

Back