Sample Society September 2014 - Spoilers & Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ladies, I have a question for y'all: Have you noticed a weird smell from the Restorsea eye cream? It smells chemical or medicated, but at the same time, if I didn't know any better I'd say the one I got is going bad. Have you had any problems with the one you got in your box? Is it just me or what? I remember opening mine first thing when I got my box and thought it smelled funny then. I first tried it last night and there was no tingling feeling like it stated one might feel when first using, so that was good, but I could faintly smell it for an hour after using it. It's enough to make me not use it again because it really doesn't smell right to me. Y'all have any problems? My thing has always been that if it smells funny or bad to me, I don't use it. An example would be Yu-Be cream, which I got in another subscription box a year or so ago. That stuff was horrid! Also didn't moisturize like it said it would and for a "holy grail" product that I keep reading about, a total disappointment.
Mine has a slightly strange smell, but I thought that it might just be one of the ingredients.  I tend to pick up subtle scents in almost everything, though. 

The Restorsea cream has a scent to it, but it's not apparent especially after I've applied it. 

Yu-Be gets a lot of criticism for its medicinal scent, but I really like it. I grew up being slathered in Tiger Balm for even the most slightest of wounds, so I find that herbal scent very comforting. Better that than vanilla. Ugh. I like vanilla in my desserts and it should just remain there...but I digress.

Mine has a bit of a tingle, but it seems to go away after a minute or two. Mine has a tiny bit of an odor, but nothing strong or particularly offensive.

Finished my perfume sample yesterday...I think that was my favorite item.

@@evildrporkchop  I thought I was the only one that didn't care for vanilla scented makeup! It's one of several reasons why I don't like M.A.C. lipsticks. 

I didn't discover Tiger Balm til I was an adult living in SoCal, but I grew up in the county and my paternal grandmother was an herbalist. She made salves and tonics and treated all our illness and injuries with them, so I also have a strong comfort association with herbal scents!

The Restorsea cream has a scent to it, but it's not apparent especially after I've applied it. 

Yu-Be gets a lot of criticism for its medicinal scent, but I really like it. I grew up being slathered in Tiger Balm for even the most slightest of wounds, so I find that herbal scent very comforting. Better that than vanilla. Ugh. I like vanilla in my desserts and it should just remain there...but I digress.
Yu-Be is some of my favorite stuff in the whole world. I use the lip balm, the skin cream and the face wash, I love it. We also always got doused in Tiger Balm (grandma owned a health food shop) and Campho-phenique for all of our llittle ills, so medicinal scents don't bug me.

That said, I do notice the scent of the Restorsea in the jar, but it goes away once it is applid, and while it is different, it isn't offensive, so I don't mind.

Hey ladies, I just wanted to follow-up and let you know that I contacted Sample Society about the eye cream and they gave me a $5 credit on my account, I guess to use for the next box. They said they hadn't gotten any complaints about the Restorsea so far, so they didn't know for sure if mine was bad or not. I ended up throwing mine away because I just didn't want to take the chance because after reading all the posts on here in regards to my earlier post, the one I got more than likely was starting to go bad. My husband noticed the smell and couldn't handle it either. He said something didn't smell right about it and also I noticed on the package that it said to store in a cool, dry place. Well, we're still in summer right now and my box was hot at the top when I got it, so that may have had something to do with it. But I'm grateful Sample Society gave me prompt service and none of this waiting around for 3 days or more for a response. They have good customer service. I just wanted to let y'all know what was going on.

Anyone on the fence about subbing??? Thanks @elenak for posting this in the Enablers thread!

/monthly_09_2014/post-108733-0-90657400-1411063401.png">/monthly_09_2014/post-108733-0-90657400-1411063401.png

I just signed up and used ebates for an extra 2% back! Second sub, anyone??

Anyone on the fence about subbing??? Thanks @elenak for posting this in the Enablers thread!

/monthly_09_2014/post-108733-0-90657400-1411063401.png">/monthly_09_2014/post-108733-0-90657400-1411063401.png

I just signed up and used ebates for an extra 2% back! Second sub, anyone??
I would definitely have two subs to them if they had more box variations like to used to!!  They're all pretty much the same with the exception of color variations now, so I'm sticking to one sub!  Yay for those that get to use the code!!

Any updates on Restorsea eye cream? Did you get any nice results after few months of using it? I still using my other creams so didn't open it yet, but curious what do you ladies think?

Any updates on Restorsea eye cream? Did you get any nice results after few months of using it? I still using my other creams so didn't open it yet, but curious what do you ladies think?
My eye area fell apart in a very short time.  Even have a second jar from their error of sending that box out the next month.  It is sitting unused.

I've been using it pretty regularly with no noticeable results <_<

Thank you all. That is what I was thinking after reading reviews on Amazon. Still I bought this box, value was incredible. But maybe no reason to lose so many months with Restorsea when I can f.eks use Sciote and get some results.

Thank you all. That is what I was thinking after reading reviews on Amazon. Still I bought this box, value was incredible. But maybe no reason to lose so many months with Restorsea when I can f.eks use Sciote and get some results.
Glytone is good also.  Although I rate it lower than sciote,.

Yu-Be is some of my favorite stuff in the whole world. I use the lip balm, the skin cream and the face wash, I love it. We also always got doused in Tiger Balm (grandma owned a health food shop) and Campho-phenique for all of our llittle ills, so medicinal scents don't bug me.

That said, I do notice the scent of the Restorsea in the jar, but it goes away once it is applid, and while it is different, it isn't offensive, so I don't mind.
I have heard that Yu-be is actually an imitation of Yu-skin.  I made up my mind that the next time i ordered from Amazon, I would try some.  8 bucks and free shipping for 35g hand cream just to try it is not too shabby.  So if it is a flop no big loss.  I will let you all know how it is after it arrives in Feb.  LOL....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using the Restorsea for a while now and have been happy with the results, but I don't have a lot of skin damage around my eyes to begin with and rarely used eye cream before this. I actually bought an extra Sept. box just for the second eye cream, but now that I've fallen down the korean skin care worm hole, I have a feeling I'll be swapping it just so I can try out new and exciting animal secretions on my under eye area.

I've been using the eye cream and I think it helps with my dark circles. I accidentally left it at school and now I'm getting much larger dark circles

Latest posts

Back