Semi-Formal Attire?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to a dinner party that requires semi-formal attire. What does semi-formal mean? Would a light pink chiffon dress be ok with a black sweater and black pumps? I was also going to wear a pearl necklace and earrings. I don't want to look underdressed so I need some help please!
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) I'm going to a dinner party that requires semi-formal attire. What does semi-formal mean? Would a light pink chiffon dress be ok with a black sweater and black pumps? I was also going to wear a pearl necklace and earrings. I don't want to look underdressed so I need some help please!
icon_smile.gif
It depends if there are any embellishments on the dress. If it's got some details such as beading or sequins on it, it might be suitable. I'd pair the pink w/a nude/tan strappy sandal & an off-white wrap instead of black--the contrast might be too stark.
Think of the 2001 Emmy's when everyone dressed "down" after the WTC attacks. Kind of a chic cocktail party.

Here are some of my favorite looks:

00040f.jpg

00200f.jpg

RT-WD8_V1-BIG.jpg
w/either of these shoes:

985-99441-p.jpg

101108_7206xl.jpg

ean_boucle_kate_dress.jpg
w/these shoes:

1733-116002-p.jpg

hac_cocktail_dress.jpg
the pink dress w/either of these shoes:

101108_5102l.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/images/864/7145864/985-99441-p.jpg

http://fp.anntaylor.com/@v=0148@/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/XLImages/115190_6600xl.jpg w/these shoes:

http://www.zappos.com/images/864/7145864/985-99441-p.jpg

I'll find some wraps & bags & post later. HTH! https://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

here are some wraps:

frp_angora_wrap.jpg

You could always opt to do tuxedo pants like these:

br274519-00p1.jpg
w/a top like this:

br274545-01p1.jpg
w/diamond or pearl studs (skip the necklace & pair w/a pair of shoes like these:
br274888-01p1.jpg
or
985-129079-d.jpg

or
38622-d.jpg

Bags are tough, but opt for a simple clutch or one that's a true vintage or vintage-inspired. Hit the thrift stores of authentic beaded clutches for dirt cheap.
smile.gif

Good Luck!

Originally Posted by keaLoha

here are some wraps:
frp_angora_wrap.jpg

You could always opt to do tuxedo pants like these:

br274519-00p1.jpg
w/a top like this:

br274545-01p1.jpg
w/diamond or pearl studs (skip the necklace & pair w/a pair of shoes like these:
br274888-01p1.jpg
or
985-129079-d.jpg

or
38622-d.jpg

Bags are tough, but opt for a simple clutch or one that's a true vintage or vintage-inspired. Hit the thrift stores of authentic beaded clutches for dirt cheap.
smile.gif

Good Luck!

Wow, Gail! Excellent repsonse! Thank you very much for taking the time to post this information. I am positive that Reija will consider it very useful and will soon reply to ya
Thanks again

Thanks so much for your recommendations!!!!!...I'll check these out! I really like the options you listed, they look nice.

You're welcome Reija. LMK how it goes & post some pics when it's event time.
smile.gif

I love those Tuxedo pants.. They look so classy & would be great with a cute top. Great post Gail
biggrin.gif

Here is a picture of the dress. What do you girls think? I also saw a pink shawl or muffler whatever they call it (I don't know much about fashion) online and I just ordered it. Here is a picture of the muffler.

Reija, that's perfect. I'd still go w/a softer shoe--nude, champagne, silver or gold--b/c if you were to take off the wrap, it might look a bit harsh.

As for the jewels, either wear a necklace or earrings, but not both. It all depends on the way you wear your hair. I'd personally go w/chandelier earrings b/c the ribbon is so close to your neckline (looks like it would hit right @ the bustline). Here's an example:

S4Y3983_mn.jpg
w/an evening bag similar to this:

1729-132475-d.jpg

I know it's kind a retro, but it'll last for years.

Good point Gail! I think a necklace that hangs will be too much against the high ribbon. That dress is so pretty Reija! I'm sure it'll look great! And I second the lighter colored shoes too... it's such a soft pink that black would probably stand out too much against it.... and if you are fair skinned, even more so.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) How about these shoes girls? What do you think?

Those are really pretty!!! Are they close to the color of the dress? They look like they are from here -
icon_cheesygrin.gif

That's the problem. I'm not sure if they are close the color because I was thinking about ordering these online...maybe too much pink with the dress? Would nude color be better?

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) That's the problem. I'm not sure if they are close the color because I was thinking about ordering these online...maybe too much pink with the dress? Would nude color be better? Oh... I thought you had them or saw them in person before... whoops!
icon_redface.gif
If they are a pale pink I don't think it would be toooo much... especially since the dress seems short (well above the knee, not a mini! LOL) a muted color shouldn't clash with it - the pink seems light enough, and you are fair skinned, so you should be fine with either light pink or nude.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
(But if you aren't sure about these shoes in particular - color wise - try stores first... where you could see what shades they have first before getting something that might look different in person.
icon_wink.gif

985-85528-p.jpg

I tried posting your dress pic next to these.. won't show up together, but I dunno - they look pretty close...
icon_neutral.gif

Forgot you mentioned a shawl too... if you want to do the pink shoes - I'd leave out the shawl. Then it might be too much pink. Ugh... it's so hard to tell!!! LOL Sometimes people wear things that seem "too much" - but it looks georgeous!

I don't want to wear too much so I think I'll pass on the shoes. Plus I don't like pink that much.
smile.gif
I ordered the shawl online too so if it's a wrong shade pink or looks like it's too much then I won't wear it. Thanks for your advise.

Latest posts

Back