September 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a bad month.  My only goal was to not spend more than I allot myself for each week.  I went over only by about $25 for the month - and I will go over $35 more this weekend because I need a haircut.  This is something that's always come out of our joint budget and I don't get expensive cuts, but it is something I'd wanted to start taking out of my allowance account.

I spent a lot on skincare.  That's really unusual.  A few years ago I bought a bunch of oils and that's pretty much what I'd been using, other than Garnier Cleansing oil.  But my skin's been looking really bad lately, so I decided I need to address it.  If I'm gonna go over, at least I'm not hoarding anything.  (And I did get my husband's birthday gifts, too, so it was a bit tighter month than most.)

We did make a bid on another house on the 14th, and it was accepted.  We should be closing by 11/14.  Between the fact that we're not putting our current house on the market for a few months so will have two mortgages and a bunch of repairs before selling, we need some new furniture (and a riding lawn mower!), and the holidays are almost here...  Eek.

Lots of expenses coming up.  Hope we can do this somewhat gracefully!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been doing well this last week of the month (which historically is my worst week). I can't even remember my last purchase. I'm focusing on using things up and not buying stuff I don't actually need (this applies outside of beauty products as well). I kind of want to simplify things, if that makes sense.

I have also given up the idea that I need to completely use up one item before moving on to the next. For example, I have multiple lotions and body washes going (which I didn't really do before). This seems to be helping keep the urge to spend at bay, as I am not getting bored with my products and looking for new things to buy.

Well I haven't bought anything in a week. This month was a somewhat fail but at least I'm doing ok going into next month. I have stuff to buy tomorrow though. I want to do a no buy hardcore for October since I know November and December will have me bleeding money.

I just realized I've haven't checked in all month! I haven't been too bad with spending and I haven't used up nearly as many products as I would have liked, but overall it's been decent. I have finished up several full sized products and I've got a couple more that are right on the edge and should be finished within a week, so that's the good. The bad is that I resubscribed to Birchbox (we'll see how long I keep it, though), bought a few little things from their shop (I got a decent amount knocked off with old points and a promo code), ordered a few items from Lush, and now I'm considering what I would like to get myself for my birthday.

I was eyeing the Rocky Horror collection from MAC, but everything I've seen from it has been overwhelmingly meh, there aren't really any colors that I would reach for enough to justify buying, and I'm trying really hard not to get sucked into yet another limited edition collection that I likely wouldn't get a whole lot of use from. Instead, I'll pick up an item or two from their permanent collection that I've wanted for a long time, or maybe hit up the drugstore, just because I want to get something that I know I would use and love.

Just a few more days left in September! I hope everyone's month is finishing up strong.

I've been failing on my low buy a little bit due to all of the holiday items that have been coming out. (I won't post any details here.) Once all of the sets have been released, I think I need to take a step back and figure out which ones I want the most, so I don't go overboard too much.

I've been doing well this month! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My two makeup purchases were: a recurring indie sub (which I have had my eye on it for a while) and an order that was less than $15 shipped (not expecting it to arrive until November/December, though). I made an indie bath/body product purchase last week - 2 perfume oils and 2 fall-scented body butters. I've never purchased an actual perfume before (I have only used fragrance mists and free perfume samples from GWPs); and I don't have any fall-scented lotion products, and since I go through an 8oz body lotion in around 5 weeks, these two body butters will hopefully be used up at the end of fall and I can follow-up with the wintery-scented lotions/creams in my stash.

Since I have those two fall body butters coming in, I resisted two indie fall bath/body restocks today! I had a bunch of items in my cart and then emptied it after some guilty contemplation.

I'm still working on my October low-buy plans. There are some indie Halloween collections that I want - the ones that are LE for October I'm probably going to let myself grab and there's another brand where I suspect their collection will probably last beyond October, so I can get it later.

I returned the set where I wouldn't wear most of the items and bought a different set, but honestly now I ma not sure I'm feeling it.  I forgot how tiny the mini lippies are and not sure it I will have trouble using them without a lip brush.  

I feel like buying the NYX ones that are similar and seeing if I like them before opening the set.

That way I can return them.  If I decide I don't want the mini sizes.  

I slipped a little bit, I bought a cheap lipstick that I've been eyeing for a while, but after trying it, I'm not digging the color.  I might give it one more try, but I think I'll be returning it.

I skipped reading this post earlier because wall of text, but I'm so glad I decided to go back and read it! Really interesting and helpful, thank you for posting!

I read an article about habits a while back that had some helpful ideas on how to slowly introduce changes. The examples they gave were related to diet and exercise, but I think you can get the idea and tweak it to fit your goals.

• Example: Your habit is to go directly to the kitchen when you get home, set your stuff down, open the frigdge and grab a snack. Instead, try making a different area your first stop when you get home. Maybe your bedroom, to put away your coat and bag? The idea is breaking the automatic cause-effect of "I just got home = I need to eat"
  • Example: You grab something to eat every time you go in your kitchen. Instead, get a glass of water every time you go in the kitchen. If you eat too, then you eat too, whatever. But you're removing the association of "I'm in the kitchen = I need to eat something"
  • Example: You have a goal of running 5 miles after work every day. You've set a difficult goal, and the odds are, honestly, against that change. Make this a strong habit in very small ways. First create a habit of putting on your running shoes every day when you get home. If you are motivated to do more, go with it. But your focus should initially be on making very small changes that you can easily be 100% consistent with, and that push you in the direction of your bigger goal. After the "I just got home = get dressed for working out" association is strong, you have a much stronger chance of sticking to your goal of actually working out.
I'm going to think on specific ways to alter my spending habits so that they're not quite so habitual. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.
Thanks! I'm glad it was helpful, even though it was super long, hahaha. I am so glad you posted those examples.... that actually sounds extremely helpful and I need to figure out a way to incorporate that into my goals. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I failed miserably yesterday. I had to take my laptop to the store to get it fixed. The store is inside this huge shopping complex. And you can imagine what happened next... I feel disgusted with myself.

At least I bought stuff that was on sale and things that I will actually use.

And instead of next month, my car will be taken for the inspection this weekend and I have no clue how I'm going to come up with nearly 1500 bucks by Monday to pay for it.. They only take cash. LOL!
I'm sorry that happened... but don't be too hard on yourself. That must have been difficult, I know it would be for me too. It's hard when we love shopping to go to a mall and be tempted and not get anything. For me, it's especially hard when it's on sale or something and I think it'll get snapped up. Darn it!!!!

Darn it!!! I just made an order on Sephora.

The Tarte holiday blush palette finally went up for sale, and I told myself that's the one holiday thing I have to have, but the one last year sold out so fast and was on Ebay for like $80 so I just had to get it... even though I wanted to wait for 20% off VIB holiday sale.

Well.... it's a bad month amoung other bad months for my finances. I guess I just have to start again today. No purchases today at all!!!!

As soon as I get off work I'm going to drop off my clothes at the Goodwill, then will go home and put on my homework lecture video and simultaneously take notes on that and do my makeup inventory that I still haven't done!

And I hope I get my budget wallet today in the mail, because I want to get that ready for October!!!
Yay, I decided to return my latest Sephora purchase. I didn't use it, just looked at it and realized they are not the right colors for me.

I snapped it up because I thought it would sell out, but it hasn't even sold out yet! I'm not sure if I should go ahead and return it or try to re-sell it in a little while if it does end up selling out,
but I think it would be easier to just return it, so I'll do that.

It's been a bad month.  My only goal was to not spend more than I allot myself for each week.  I went over only by about $25 for the month - and I will go over $35 more this weekend because I need a haircut.  This is something that's always come out of our joint budget and I don't get expensive cuts, but it is something I'd wanted to start taking out of my allowance account.

I spent a lot on skincare.  That's really unusual.  A few years ago I bought a bunch of oils and that's pretty much what I'd been using, other than Garnier Cleansing oil.  But my skin's been looking really bad lately, so I decided I need to address it.  If I'm gonna go over, at least I'm not hoarding anything.  (And I did get my husband's birthday gifts, too, so it was a bit tighter month than most.)

We did make a bid on another house on the 14th, and it was accepted.  We should be closing by 11/14.  Between the fact that we're not putting our current house on the market for a few months so will have two mortgages and a bunch of repairs before selling, we need some new furniture (and a riding lawn mower!), and the holidays are almost here...  Eek.

Lots of expenses coming up.  Hope we can do this somewhat gracefully!
Congratulations on your bid being accepted! Boy, you do have lots of expenses coming up, but I think you can step up to the plate and really reign in your unnecessary spending. I think you got this. You sound smart and level-headed, just wait- you'll surprise yourself!

I've been itching to shop...but I'm being good.  I've been looking around for swaps instead so I can still feel like I'm indulging but not being wasteful!  
Good job! You're awesome!!! I hope to be like you in the coming month!

I have also given up the idea that I need to completely use up one item before moving on to the next. For example, I have multiple lotions and body washes going (which I didn't really do before). This seems to be helping keep the urge to spend at bay, as I am not getting bored with my products and looking for new things to buy.
I agree about kind of having things in rotation- this is especially good for me with my makeup.... and perfume. But skincare and body care I'm pretty much set on in terms of HG status. Heheh, so I don't switch those up.

Well I haven't bought anything in a week. This month was a somewhat fail but at least I'm doing ok going into next month. I have stuff to buy tomorrow though. I want to do a no buy hardcore for October since I know November and December will have me bleeding money.
Seconded the November and December money hemorraging. I'm scared about the holidays and my crazy spending, so I really hope I can pull off a no-buy this October. But I also really need to keep my spending in check in other areas, not just makeup. I have been buying holiday stuff like there's no tomorrow.

Pumpkin pie poptarts, Halloween Oreos, Pumpkin Spice Lattes, Halloween candy, Fall candles
eugghhhh! So in short, I need to basically just ... not buy anything that I don't absolutely need. Come on, you can do it!!! (Gotta pep talk myself sometimes!)

Continued (it wouldn't let me post that many replies!!!!)

I've been failing on my low buy a little bit due to all of the holiday items that have been coming out. (I won't post any details here.) Once all of the sets have been released, I think I need to take a step back and figure out which ones I want the most, so I don't go overboard too much.
Eugh, same here! It's just a whirlwind and it's hard because some stuff is selling out and there's all this buzz surrounding everything!

I've been doing well this month! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My two makeup purchases were: a recurring indie sub (which I have had my eye on it for a while) and an order that was less than $15 shipped (not expecting it to arrive until November/December, though). I made an indie bath/body product purchase last week - 2 perfume oils and 2 fall-scented body butters. I've never purchased an actual perfume before (I have only used fragrance mists and free perfume samples from GWPs); and I don't have any fall-scented lotion products, and since I go through an 8oz body lotion in around 5 weeks, these two body butters will hopefully be used up at the end of fall and I can follow-up with the wintery-scented lotions/creams in my stash.

Since I have those two fall body butters coming in, I resisted two indie fall bath/body restocks today! I had a bunch of items in my cart and then emptied it after some guilty contemplation.

I'm still working on my October low-buy plans. There are some indie Halloween collections that I want - the ones that are LE for October I'm probably going to let myself grab and there's another brand where I suspect their collection will probably last beyond October, so I can get it later.
Sounds like you're doing well! Fall stuff and Halloween stuff are my weakness so I'm hoping the splurging on Halloween stuff early will keep me away from it this October.

Oof, after some recent slip ups, I decided I needed to get myself on track for the holiday season. So I started that holiday-specific thread we had been discussing...come join me! https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/134416-holiday-2014-nolow-buy-planning/
YAY! I'm so glad you started this!!!! I am still formulating my post! But I'll be there shortly!

I returned the set where I wouldn't wear most of the items and bought a different set, but honestly now I ma not sure I'm feeling it.  I forgot how tiny the mini lippies are and not sure it I will have trouble using them without a lip brush.  

I feel like buying the NYX ones that are similar and seeing if I like them before opening the set.

That way I can return them.  If I decide I don't want the mini sizes.  
Good on you for returning that set and being really meticulous in your shopping. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I slipped a little bit, I bought a cheap lipstick that I've been eyeing for a while, but after trying it, I'm not digging the color.  I might give it one more try, but I think I'll be returning it.
Good job, I hope you can return it.

I also have some things I could return/resell so I hope I can get around to that very soon!

so much pretties, but limited funds!

for now, i have to not get anything at least til the 15th. i just spent an additional $300 on flights for me/bf/family to swim with the whale sharks. haha

My Sept Post Mortem:

I spent a net of 273 on non essentials / non replacements and had a goal of under 300.  

And from those I realize that I plan to return another $75 or more.

The KVD lipset was a total disappointment. They were tough to apply and patchy, plus most colors lasted less than 5 minutes on my bottom lip.

So I did not do too bad.  I'll need to do some analysis on what did and did not work.  October will be a very bad month for me with the Lush Halloween and Winter collections.  I need some fall / winter clothes and have several birthdays coming up.  

I have therapy tomorrow so I can talk about this during the session.  

I have therapy tomorrow so I can talk about this during the session.  
I forgot to say- I talked about my spending in therapy the past two times and I didn't really get very helpful feedback. She just kind of told me to make a budget. So.... yeah, not really helpful on the um... emotional/psychological side of spending, good for the practical. But... hopefully you'll get more helpful advice.

-----

My September analysis: Fail.

TRY TRY AGAIN!

I forgot to say- I talked about my spending in therapy the past two times and I didn't really get very helpful feedback. She just kind of told me to make a budget. So.... yeah, not really helpful on the um... emotional/psychological side of spending, good for the practical. But... hopefully you'll get more helpful advice.

-----

My September analysis: Fail.

TRY TRY AGAIN!
There are a lot of helpful blogs on the psychology behind spending. For example, Recovering Shopaholic just published a list of links on her page recoveringshopaholic.com and there are a few others I regularly visit like The Nife en L'air that have some great tips. I find that the more you understand why you're doing it, the more you can do things to address it. Try to get at your motivations for shopping with your therapist rather than looking at the symptoms. Hope that helps!

September analysis: FAIL. I"m not even going to get into details.

In reality, I'm probably close to $100, which isn't AWFUL and a lot better than I've done on my worst months. However, my nobuy isn't as much money based as it is hoarder based. Like I DO NOT NEED anymore ^W#$^& eyeshadow but I can not stop :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  And my orders were not like one large $80 order, it was like 7-10 small orders of cheaper stuff, so even MORE to add to the hoard. October goal is going to be zero. NONE!

unless the sephora VIB sale takes place in October, then I rescind my no buy. I'm 99% sure that's early November, but I saw a post that mentioned the week of the 17th. I believe this may be friends and family vs VIB, I do not have any friends or family that work for sephora so I don't really care that much about that

well, September had it's ups and downs, it started of not so great, but the second half of the months was ok. I did make some purchased within last two days, but used gift cards/points, so the don't violate my low buy. 

Back