September 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn it!!! I just made an order on Sephora.

The Tarte holiday blush palette finally went up for sale, and I told myself that's the one holiday thing I have to have, but the one last year sold out so fast and was on Ebay for like $80 so I just had to get it... even though I wanted to wait for 20% off VIB holiday sale.

Well.... it's a bad month amoung other bad months for my finances. I guess I just have to start again today. No purchases today at all!!!!

As soon as I get off work I'm going to drop off my clothes at the Goodwill, then will go home and put on my homework lecture video and simultaneously take notes on that and do my makeup inventory that I still haven't done!

And I hope I get my budget wallet today in the mail, because I want to get that ready for October!!!

The hardest thing about no buy for me always is when the stress takes over. But the way I see it is that if I suppress it deep down, one day it is going to explode and cause a huge mess. In my recent experience, when the stress hit me, I went ahead and let myself buy a drugstore lipstick, and the next week when I was out and even walked in Sephora, I didn't have any urge to buy anything. So to keep the plan a long term, I think it's okay to cave in moderately when the stress hits us. Just make sure you get full use out of items you bought, and come back on track!
This is so true! I was on a no-buy for pretty much all of summer, since I'm saving up to go to Comic Con and Alaska next summer, and then Sephora put all of those wonderful things in the sale section. I've been stressed at work, so I ended up going a little crazy, and now I'm a little closer to Rouge then I wanted to be. Definitely making smaller, more moderate purchases can help keep it from bottling up like that. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I made a haul. I won't put the details in this thread so I don't trigger anyone. I spent $47.42, since my October budget is $50 for my birthday, I might call the haul my birthday gift.

Just want to say I appreciate those either putting their hauls behind spoilers or not mentioning specifics! I don't like to get ideas for new pretties to buy from this thread...we get a lot of that elsewhere!

On a related topic, does anyone have any interest in doing a low-buy holiday strategy thread? I'm envisioning something that would be a little less enabling than the current holiday sets thread and would be somewhere where we could strategize/pace ourselves/set budgets and limits, etc.

I bought one of Sephora's Holiday Sets and spent another 15 on eyeshadow and mascara at Target.  I did not need any of it, but I have been under some stress lately.  That added up to about $80.

Still under my lowbuy goal, but I don't know if I will make it.

So I did a bit of accounting this morning, specifically totting up the budget damage from giving myself birthday presents, and it's not that bad.  I won't make my original goal for the month, but barring last minute indulgence I will make my back up goal, and I've been sticking to my "No new clothes" pledge.  I think I'm also set up well to have a good October.  Must save money for Black Friday sales!

On a related topic, does anyone have any interest in doing a low-buy holiday strategy thread? I'm envisioning something that would be a little less enabling than the current holiday sets thread and would be somewhere where we could strategize/pace ourselves/set budgets and limits, etc.

I like this idea - I want to take advantage of some of the holiday deals but not go overboard. Last year I did well by setting myself a budget and doing an inventory of what I had, what I needed, and what I really, really wanted to try. Still have a couple things I haven't tried so this year I want to narrow down my needs vs. wants a little more. 

exhausted.

haven't been around much...sorry about that, guys. life's been hectic. I made a $3 dollar purchase for one of the new milani shadows, and honestly, not even remotely impressed. It's the same color as my skin so it doesn't show up. I'll try to use it as a transition shade but I might gift it to a friend who might get more use out of it. 

Otherwise good. no purchases this month. I have enough items to B2M for two lipsticks but not feeling the urge yet...still working on angel and twig (combined), and so once those are gone I might consider swapping. 

been working slowly on my project pan items but progress is as slow as snails...I don't find myself wearing much makeup lately. Probably just because of stress. I only slap something on on the days that I look too dead to go out lol...otherwise, eh. powder and a bit of liner and that's it.

Yesterday I went through my things and got a pile of stuff that I either wasn't happy with or never used, and went to my cousin's house, and she did the same, so we kind of 'shopped' through the stuff we didn't want, and got rid of everything no one wanted. I feel like doing this helps a lot! We got rid of things that wasted space and we didn't care for, but then we also got new things we really like, without spending anything.

The hardest thing about no buy for me always is when the stress takes over. But the way I see it is that if I suppress it deep down, one day it is going to explode and cause a huge mess. In my recent experience, when the stress hit me, I went ahead and let myself buy a drugstore lipstick, and the next week when I was out and even walked in Sephora, I didn't have any urge to buy anything. So to keep the plan a long term, I think it's okay to cave in moderately when the stress hits us. Just make sure you get full use out of items you bought, and come back on track!
I think that is exactly what has been happening to me! I am spending less overall, but it feels like more since I end up getting more at one time once the stress kicks in. Thank you for the advice! A small purchase here and there may help more than my larger splurges.

Yesterday I went through my things and got a pile of stuff that I either wasn't happy with or never used, and went to my cousin's house, and she did the same, so we kind of 'shopped' through the stuff we didn't want, and got rid of everything no one wanted. I feel like doing this helps a lot! We got rid of things that wasted space and we didn't care for, but then we also got new things we really like, without spending anything.
That's an awesome idea! I wish I had someone like that around here to trade with!

exhausted.

haven't been around much...sorry about that, guys. life's been hectic. I made a $3 dollar purchase for one of the new milani shadows, and honestly, not even remotely impressed. It's the same color as my skin so it doesn't show up. I'll try to use it as a transition shade but I might gift it to a friend who might get more use out of it. 

Otherwise good. no purchases this month. I have enough items to B2M for two lipsticks but not feeling the urge yet...still working on angel and twig (combined), and so once those are gone I might consider swapping. 

been working slowly on my project pan items but progress is as slow as snails...I don't find myself wearing much makeup lately. Probably just because of stress. I only slap something on on the days that I look too dead to go out lol...otherwise, eh. powder and a bit of liner and that's it.
Yeah, I've not been wearing makeup lately, but actually the past two weeks I've really been trying, but it still doesn't happen. I forgot to even do my brows today- I just slapped on some serum foundation to cancel out my redness.

I like this idea - I want to take advantage of some of the holiday deals but not go overboard. Last year I did well by setting myself a budget and doing an inventory of what I had, what I needed, and what I really, really wanted to try. Still have a couple things I haven't tried so this year I want to narrow down my needs vs. wants a little more. 
I think this is a good idea- one of you guy should totally start this thread so we can see an example of what/how to plan for the holidays. I don't really know how to beyond making a want list and waiting until the 20% off sale. I'd like to get more detailed than that, but just don't know what to do.

I re subscribed to IPSY and then after seeing the first spoiler I canceled.  I don't need more of the stuff IPSY sends. 
Awesome, good job!

Just want to say I appreciate those either putting their hauls behind spoilers or not mentioning specifics! I don't like to get ideas for new pretties to buy from this thread...we get a lot of that elsewhere!

Yes, please, one of you guys start this! I want to go there, but I don't know how to do it because I really don't have a clue.

Well.... it's a bad month amoung other bad months for my finances. I guess I just have to start again today. No purchases today at all!!!!
Yay, I didn't make any purchases yesterday.

Today? Nothing yet, but I went to lunch with a friend and spent $7. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have soup here at my office... I need to ask next time if we can just go someplace to eat our packed lunch. I do'nt want to spend money on lunch or dinner.

Curses! I slipped up again, in a BIG, BAD way. I'm talking shopping every night of the week. Not just shopping, but buying.

Monday night I went to Target and started buying tons of 'organizational supplies' for my house- like... blew $200 on organizational stuff, 2 watches, and food, and was planning on buying a purse, but the store was closing. So what did I do? Go back the next night!

Tuesday I bought a $178 purse from Belk that was made by Fossil. I also got some on-sale Fossil wallets for my girlfriends' Christmas presents, I got 3 at $15 each (originally $45).

Then, Wednesday I bought a lip liner and cotton face pads, so it wasn't bad, but still $5 down the drain. And that night or the night before- can't remember- went online to purchase another of the same purse I got, but in a different color for $134, so a little on sale, and then I also bought a tote by the same line for $145, original price is $198, so a bit of a sale- but REALLY? Am I like, the Queen of England or something? I don't need to buy everything I like!

AND then last night (Thursday) I went to Bath and Bodyworks and bought 2 3-wick candles for $22 (on sale, saved $23- but did I really need them?) and 3 mini candles plus a hand sanitizer. 

My total damage? $696.00 JUST THIS WEEK. SERIOUSLY. JUST THIS WEEK. What is wrong with me? Well, I just got divorced, I'm not sleeping well, not eating well, am not exercising, started a class this semester, am working full time and am really stressed at work, and am just at the end of my rope, using eating and shopping and sleeping as crutches. I need to wake up and start moving on.

I thought I was doing good by returning some products and then selling some on ebay, but apparently I'll never offset the damage I'm doing to my bank account/wallet. The thing is, this is an emotional thing now, so it'll be even harder to stop. But I can do it, I just need to be super mindful and do something about my willpower.

The really bad thing about shopping that I think we all here need to remember is that even though you're buying things and you love them and get use out of them, that money that you're not saving is hurting you down the line. The more you save when you're younger, the more it'll compound and the more you'll have invested and in your retirement fund. Even if you're not in debt, ... it's just still bad. A bad habit. I kind of want to join shopaholics.... I just don't know what to do. But I have to come up with a plan!

And now some quotes on willpower from apa.org:

Based on the above quotes, I'm here to offer some hope to those of you who feel like you're failing:

You're already winning by doing steps 1 and 2. You set yourselves goals here in these monthly threads and you monitor your behavior by posting periodically. Isn't that an awesome feeling? We're so close to doing what we know in our minds to be the right, responsible thing; we just need to flex our willpower muslces!!!

How do we do that, or why do we want to do that? Let's read more from apa.org:

Wow, willpower can do all that? AWESOME, how do I get me some of that? And how do I remember that it can be depleted and I need to care for it? Well, we all have willpower, the trick is only using it on really important tasks so it doesn't get depleted as quickly.

Oh, here's something neat to think about:

If you are feeling like you resisted a lot of temptation, your willpower will eventually be depleted. This is what happens when we start a no-buy and do really well and then tank. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm just saying not to feel too bad about yourself if you do fail.

Let's take a look at a similar story from a shopping perspective, one we'll all understand. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So let's get back in the topic of getting willpower, or more accurately, strengthening the willpower we already have.

So, if my practicing willpower tires out my willpower, how is that helpful?

Well, think of it like a muscle:

I do have some badish news- you know how we make goals here? We usually set lots of goals at once, right? Well...

But there is also some good news to go with that:

Also, if you're having a hard day and know you have to do some shopping, please eat a snack first- preferrably one high in protein.

It'll help you prevent your willpower from being depleted!

I hope this post of my horrible failure and my searching in the dark for hope will help you as much as it did me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Sorry it was so long!
I skipped reading this post earlier because wall of text, but I'm so glad I decided to go back and read it! Really interesting and helpful, thank you for posting!

I read an article about habits a while back that had some helpful ideas on how to slowly introduce changes. The examples they gave were related to diet and exercise, but I think you can get the idea and tweak it to fit your goals.

• Example: Your habit is to go directly to the kitchen when you get home, set your stuff down, open the frigdge and grab a snack. Instead, try making a different area your first stop when you get home. Maybe your bedroom, to put away your coat and bag? The idea is breaking the automatic cause-effect of "I just got home = I need to eat"
  • Example: You grab something to eat every time you go in your kitchen. Instead, get a glass of water every time you go in the kitchen. If you eat too, then you eat too, whatever. But you're removing the association of "I'm in the kitchen = I need to eat something"
  • Example: You have a goal of running 5 miles after work every day. You've set a difficult goal, and the odds are, honestly, against that change. Make this a strong habit in very small ways. First create a habit of putting on your running shoes every day when you get home. If you are motivated to do more, go with it. But your focus should initially be on making very small changes that you can easily be 100% consistent with, and that push you in the direction of your bigger goal. After the "I just got home = get dressed for working out" association is strong, you have a much stronger chance of sticking to your goal of actually working out.
I'm going to think on specific ways to alter my spending habits so that they're not quite so habitual. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
burned through the last of my sephora store credit by picking up the Give Me More Lip set. I am actually thinking of taking it back. I like some of the colors but I don't LOOOOVE them. I usually split sets like these up or sell off/swap ones I wouldn't use. But, adding say 12 (of 17) new lipsticks to my collection at once seems really excessive! Especially when my budget could've been allocated to other things (more diverse sets, non make up related items, etc). 

I also have felt less of a make up buying bug because no one in my office wears make up. I think I can only stand out so much...lip stick would look SO bold compared to all these bare faces.

I failed miserably yesterday. I had to take my laptop to the store to get it fixed. The store is inside this huge shopping complex. And you can imagine what happened next... I feel disgusted with myself.

At least I bought stuff that was on sale and things that I will actually use.

And instead of next month, my car will be taken for the inspection this weekend and I have no clue how I'm going to come up with nearly 1500 bucks by Monday to pay for it.. They only take cash. LOL!

Okay I just looked and we did have the Half-Way through 2014 thread that died a bit. I'm going to revive that later when I have more time with my holiday season plans, if anyone else wants to join me!!

Edit - here's the thread: https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/133732-the-were-past-halfway-through-2014-thread-holiday-spending-plans-and-resolution-reevaluation/ 

Okay I just looked and we did have the Half-Way through 2014 thread that died a bit. I'm going to revive that later when I have more time with my holiday season plans, if anyone else wants to join me!!

Edit - here's the thread: https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/133732-the-were-past-halfway-through-2014-thread-holiday-spending-plans-and-resolution-reevaluation/ 
Cool! But if you want, you should make a new one just for holiday plans. I don't know why I mixed that up with the halfway through the year stuff.

I think it could be kind of cool to have a holiday-only one?

I think I might return the Sephora gift set I bought for myself

The Give Me More Lip Set

I realized I would only wear about 6 or of the 17 items in the set more than once.  And most of those were reds I probably have a dupe for. I might buy one of the lipsticks in the set.

It wouldn't be worth it to me to use them as gifts.

This means I now have to spend another $90 before I renew can renew VIB for  another year.  But that shouldn't be too big a deal as I get a lot of stocking stuffier type gifts on black friday.

The VIB is only worth it to me for gwps that come out every month or two, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. 

I'm all for returning things. Especially if you bought it and didn't use it yet- it's just sitting there, taunting you. I have definitely bought things and then turned around and returned them and it made me feel 80% better about my overspending.

Back