September 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going on a no-buy/potential low-buy for September. I've done well in August, having only spent $13, and that wasn't too bad. I'm easing up on all of my rules because I've been going through a rough patch and it feels somedays like giving myself "goals" or rules is only putting more stress on myself. still, no massive spending will take place (our wallets just can't afford it anyways lol), but while I'll be checking in just to see how you guys are doing or to talk, as of right now the last thing on my mind is makeup.

I don't think I'll be doing a no-buy again for September, as there are already a few things I want to buy in September. I'll definitely go for a low-buy, though. I haven't decided how much I'll let myself spend yet. I sold a bunch of makeup online in August, so I currently have over $100 in my PayPal account. I'm going to try not to spend it too quickly, and I'm hoping I can make it last at least a few months.

It went good in August so for September I am going to do a low buy on everything else (clothes, books, house stuff, toiletries) and a no buy for makeup. It actually feels so good to downsize. At the moment I am set on shampoo, cleanser, face moisturizer, body moisturizer and all that jazz but if I happen to finish all that (unlikely) I am allowed to purchase what I need. I am gonna say we should stay within around 100 euros for all the other stuff (except food and bills of course) because we don't need that much. However my daughter needs a lot because it's getting chilly and she grew like a weed. Time for new clothes and shoes. And we all know that's not cheap! Also it's her birthday at the end of the month, so you can bet we have to fork some cash for a couple presents. Yeah, so that should be it. The case in point is: NO MAKEUP!

Okay, creeping towards September and I am ready to go full no-buy. B) Some things are allowed, but all excess spending ist verboten.

Allowed, expected purchases:

1. Ipsy (final month, MUST cancel after September)

2. Sample Society

3. Glossybox (MUST cancel ASAP, before Sept. 15th)

4. Notoriously Morbid VC

Purchases where the funds have been previously set aside:

1. Neiman Marcus Fall Beauty Event

Purchases that will be allowed only if the items are available:

1. innocent+twisted alchemy subscription

2. innocent+twisted alchemy, any and all colors from the August NANA themed sub. Any size is fine, full size is preferred.

No-Buy Cardinal Rules:

1. I will not be enabled.

2. I will not allow good samples or point perks draw me in to a purchase.

3. I will not allow GWP to draw me into a purchase.

4. No new makeup - If I run out of something, I will substitute another from my stash.

5. No new skin care - if I run out, see above.

6. No new fragrance. Just no.

7. If I choose to browse a Sephora store, I will go without money. I will not visit Sephora online, or via the app for any reason.

8. If I return something, that money goes into my bank. Equal exchanges for color are allowed, but otherwise any potential exchange will be a return.

9. I am going to shop my stash and see what could be sold/donated/gifted to make room for holiday purchases.

10. I will have the strength of will to abide by the above rules.

Outside of beauty, all other personal impulse buys, whether for clothing, or accessories; entertainment and dining, they are not allowed either, not on my dime. However gifts and dates with hubby are still totally acceptable. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm being very strict with myself because I have to get more control over my spending. I'm falling back into a very bad pattern.

I am definitely doing a full #NoBuy for September and October as we are getting Sephora in Australia come November or something apparently, and I've got my sister's wedding in Sydney (which is where the store will be) in November. I don't need anything, probably deodorant is the only thing I could potentially run out of, and a new eyelash curler is required.

I think for September I'm going to do a complete no buy for the first half of the month, then the second half I'll allow myself a foundation purchase. I want it so bad and I've done better than I ever have done so far!

May I join you, ladies?

I need to stop buying. Just stop. Cold turkey.

Therefore September is going to be a no-buy month for me.

No skincare, no makeup, no clothes, no frapps at Starbucks - I've figured out how to make them at home, anyway.

I'm only allowing myself one snack a week. And no fast food, either.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

I am on a no-buy for September. I cancelled my ipsy bag because I wasn't liking what I was getting. My boyfriend is probably (hopefully!) getting me the Hourglass ambient lighting palette for our anniversary this month, and I DON'T NEED ANYTHING. NOTHING. NADA. ZIP. I've been reading up on resisting the ridiculous level of consumerism in America and articles about how "things" don't make people happy. I've also been thinking about other upcoming expenses, like buying an anniversary gift for my BF and repairing my car and a phone upgrade to avoid frivolous spending.

I've also been trying to avoid shopping after work by planning other activities. It helps that since I moved, I'm not a mere 5 minutes from a huge mall so I have to make more of an effort to go out shopping.

My September rules:

-The only drugstore item I can purchase is my Covergirl Outlast foundation, because I'm out of it, and the only foundation I have that I like more is too hard to find/expensive to obtain here (because it's only sold in Europe) so I want to ration it out. I have to find it on sale/with a coupon, though. No other drugstore purchases!

-I can purchase one more expensive item. I've realized I'm getting to a point where I'm a lot happier to have 1 nicer item than 4 drugstore items in most cases. I'm thinking about this being the Naked Basics 2 palette, or maybe a setting powder since I'm still on the hunt for the perfect one....Whatever I decide, I will probably purchase it in store to avoid the trap of buying more stuff to get free shipping.

And that's it. The end, no more. If I desperately need something else, I can use Birchbox points or the $25 Amazon gift card I got recently. (I can also renew 2 BB subscriptions for October when a good code comes along.)

No-Buy rules: same as they've been all year! Nothing at all except necessities and skincare. Bought new conditioner today but still way set on shampoo. Things like that. Bought a 3-pack of shimmery hairbands that was on clearance for $1.50 in August and I'M NOT SORRY! Running low on daytime moisturizer and setting powder, and might need foundation and basecoat by the end of September. I can't believe I've made it this far! The only unnecessary things I've bought this year are:

Two colored mascaras

The aforementioned hairbands

One nail polish

A trio of body scrubs

Two glitter eyeliners I have wanted forever

Grand total: $40 for the entire year so far, including tax. I think that is reasonable!

Considering my only other "fun" spending is on fast food a couple times a month, I think that's really good! No clothes, shoes, music, movies, trips, anything. I've seriously been using what I have and keeping things simple. So I think I've done great this year! Now to figure out what to do with my box of random art supplies...

@jayeme  Have you tried Coty Airspun powder?  It is a drugstore brand rather than a more expensive brand, but I like it better then anything else I've tried and it is absurdly cheap.  It's been around since the 30s and I found out about it when I was getting into vintage makeup looks.

Alright, I've decided on my rules for September:

I have some money left on a Sephora gift card, and I'm allowed to use that if there's a good GWP.

I have money in my PayPal account from destashing a lot of my makeup. I'm allowed to use $50 of it on makeup in September.

I'm allowed to get an Innocent + Twisted Alchemy sub if I can grab one before they sell out.

I'm allowed to make a TKB Trading order to get some jars and pressing materials for my indies.

Other than that, no makeup related purchases.

@jayeme  Have you tried Coty Airspun powder?  It is a drugstore brand rather than a more expensive brand, but I like it better then anything else I've tried and it is absurdly cheap.  It's been around since the 30s and I found out about it when I was getting into vintage makeup looks.
My HG, too.

One of my favorite Instagram sellers had an item I wanted for a while so I picked it up. My beauty purchases have scaled down significantly. This month I'll continue the low buy goal is $0 but I do have $50 tucked away for anything that might come up.

I'm still working on knocking down the rest of my home goods debt from the move but thanks to getting my signing bonus I was able to pay off my CC debt and half of the moving debt. Woohoo! I did spent money on some pricey jeans. I'm going to work on nixing beauty purchases and will be picking up more "casual clothes". The office is super super dressed down (jeans or shorts and flip flops) and my wardrobe is a little too elevated for that. By elevated I mean I've been wearing skirts and maxi dresses and I definitely stick out! (Even just old navy or ASOS ones!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Continuing my for-realsies no-nothing no-buy, yayyy September. Yay fall. Boo no-buy. I hate seeing all of this Halloween stuff coming up and knowing I can't get any of it. :scared:  

Anywho- GOOD NEWS FOR ONCE! I, way long ago it seems, loaned a good friend almost 3K so she could finish her college and not go without electricity and food and the like. Well, she had only paid me back $300 since then, but now she finally has secured a well-paying teaching job and is going to be sending the first of many steady monthly payments to me this month. Thank goodness. It was supposed to be paid back a long time ago- but things happened. Better late than never.

Yay September! This is going to be a super strict one! Excited and so ready for the challenge.. July No Buy really broke some bad habits for me so I'm ready to move forward and tackle some new ones after my break in August.

September No Buy Rules:

I will not buy ANY makeup, beauty items, clothing, shoes, or accessories.

I will not buy ANY alcohol, fast food, takeout, or other processed food.

I will not buy ANY material items.

Allowed purchases: basic groceries, textbooks and course packs, prescriptions, fitness classes.

I have enough makeup, hair care, and body care to last me at least a month. I'm still working towards having 0 backups in all areas of my life.. so this will help me focus on using things up. I'm also focusing on using up some pantry items. I have rice, beans, pasta, etc. that has mostly been sitting there so I'm really going to try and cut down my grocery spending this month.

I'm also going to write down all my purchases for the month so I stay on track.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going on a no-buy/potential low-buy for September. I've done well in August, having only spent $13, and that wasn't too bad. I'm easing up on all of my rules because I've been going through a rough patch and it feels somedays like giving myself "goals" or rules is only putting more stress on myself. still, no massive spending will take place (our wallets just can't afford it anyways lol), but while I'll be checking in just to see how you guys are doing or to talk, as of right now the last thing on my mind is makeup.
Change $13 into $50 and that was the damage done in August. Still not BAD, but way worse than it could have been. It was all stress shopping and I fully acknowledge that. Sigh. Despite the fact that I consciously know that I don't. need. anything. else. I went ahead and bought, you know me, eyeshadow. WHY?! I already have like 200 shadows. I can probably mix the rainbow up. Heck, I already HAVE a rainbow. So no more. As the certainty is now coming down that I am going to be going to not be traditionally employed anymore and I need to save everything I can, the no-buy needs to happen. 

So like @@Shalott, I am making myself have the strength to not buy things. I can't get sucked into spending to make myself feel better, no matter how stressful life gets, and must learn to deal with my issues in ways other than opening up my wallet. 

Latest posts

Back