Share your recipes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here at MUT we are so fortunate to have such a wonderful group of people that make this the fun site that it is. We are from different states and countries but yet we have so much in common, we enjoy each others thoughts and ideas and sense of humor. I thought if anyone is interested, that we could do a recipe thread where we maybe share favorite recipes or maybe even recipe's that are popular where you live. I live in Florida where of course we eat a lot of seafood and also citrus fruit, here is a recipe for Bacon wrapped shrimp and orange spinach salad, Emeril makes orange/poppyseed marinade that should be available at most stores.

Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp

Ingredients

cooking spray

6 slices smoked bacon

24 peeled/deveined shrimp-31/40 count (about 3/4 pound)

24 toothpicks

1/2 cup orange herb and poppy seed marinade

Orange Spinach Salad (recipe below)

Steps

1. Spray grill with cooking spray, then preheat grill.

2. Stack bacon slices on top of each other and slice into 4 sections.

3. Wrap bacon around each shrimp and secure with toothpicks. Wash hands.

4. Place marinade in medium mixing bowl and add shrimp. Toss to coat and marinate 5 minutes.

5. Grill shrimp, covered 6-8 minutes, or until pink, turning occasionally to cook evenly. Discard any remaining marinade.

6. Remove toothpicks and add shrimp and bacon to spinach salad. Toss to mix and serve.

Orange Spinach Salad

Ingredients

1/4 cup orange herb and poppy seed marinade

1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar

4 cups spinach (3/4 bag)

1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup (drained)

1/4 cup sunflower kernels

Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp (recipe above)

Steps

1. In salad bowl, whisk together marinade and vinegar.

2. Add spinach, oranges and sunflower kernels. Toss to coat.

3. Add shrimp and bacon; toss to mix and serve.

These are not traditional Midwestern dishes by any means, but this is our favorite meal. My husband loves Asian food, so last Valentine's Day (our first V-Day together -- we got married a year after we met) I made these recipes for him. We both loved them so much that we always make them on special occasions or when we have guests over that also like Asian food. It takes a while to make but is worth it! (I'm not sure what I can cook for him this year that will top this meal!)

If you're like me and have problems cooking two things at once
wink.gif
you can make the spinach first and set it aside, since it's served at room temperature anyway.

Kung Pao Chicken

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed

1 tbs cornstarch

2 tbs olive oil

3 tbs chopped green onion

2 minced garlic cloves

dash red pepper seeds (or up to 3/4 tsp if you like it spicy!)

1/2 tsp ground ginger

2 tbs wine vinegar (red works best)

2 tbs soy sauce

2 tsp sugar

1/3 cup unsalted peanuts

4 cups cooked rice

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, combine onion, garlic, red pepper, and ginger.

2. In a second small bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar.

3. Combine chicken and cornstarch in a third bowl and coat chicken evenly. Stir fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Set chicken aside.

4. Add onion mixture to pan and stir fry for about 15 seconds.

5. Add soy sauce mixture (give it a quick stir first), chicken, and peanuts to pan. Cook until sauce glazes and adheres to chicken.

6. Serve over hot rice.

Number Of Servings: 2

Korean Seasoned Spinach

This is a wilted spinach salad with Korean seasonings.

Ingredients:

10 oz. fresh small flat-leaf spinach

2 tbs soy sauce

1 tsp sugar

1-1/2 tsp seasame seeds

1 tbs sesame oil (or less if you do not like the strong taste of sesame oil)

1 tbs minced green onion

1 tsp wine vinegar (optional)

salt

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients except spinach and salt. Set aside.

2. Wash spinach and start boiling water with some salt added. Add spinach to boiling water and cook only until the leaves turn bright green. Remove spinach from boiling water and rinse it in cold water, then squeeze all water out of spinach. Add spinach to soy sauce mixture and toss well.

3. Serve immediately.

This is a recipe that we tried recently, and we like it as much as the Kung Pao Chicken I posted above! We eat this as a main meal with some garlic bread, but it would work great as a side or appetizer too.

Artichoke Soup

3/4 stick butter

1 bunch chopped green onions

1 clove minced garlic

4 tablespoons flour

2 cans chicken broth

3 bay leaves

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

2 cans artichoke hearts, chopped

Sautee garlic and onion in butter. Add flour, then stir in chicken broth slowly. Add other ingredients and season to taste. Simmer 20-30 minutes to blend flavors.

Source: http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/innat...r_recipe2.html

Notes: To cut down on calories, you can easily use a few less tablespoons of butter and it will turn out fine. I also like to use a little extra Worcestershire sauce, and we use artichokes canned in brine, not marinated artichokes.

Oh those sound good, I really want to try the Kung Pao Chicken, we love chinese food and get take-out a lot but I have never really tried to make my own, I stir fry once in a while but I really would love to be able to make a good Lo-Mein, I love that stuhh.

I posted a beef lo mein recipe in the Light and Healthy thread if you're interested! And I'm sure you can get creative and substitute different veggies and meats!

Thank you! I will definetly check it out, sometimes I think I could live off Lo-Mein, I love it!

Latest posts

Back