Skin Care Crisis, Anyone, Help !!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I only started using make up 1 year ago (nothing ever before,not even moisturizers, I'm 24 now), My skin was smooth, spotless and acne free.

Since I started wearing make up my face got mad at me and now my skin is driving me crazy and I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm not sure if it's acne though, cause is not like what I've seen in others girl with acne, Is like break outs that never seem to go away, every month, in the same spots, over and over again.

Over this short period of time I've tried Proactive (dried out, quit using it) and Mario Badescu Pink Lotion (burns like hell, quit too). Don't know what to try next.

I now have DRY and PATCHY some times and VERY OILY others that is driving me crazy too because I don't know what moisturizers to use or even if I should use any.

Also have blemishes since I don't stop picking at the darn zits.

Well I guess is clear that I need your help so PLEASE HELP ME ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

I'm really sorry to hear that=( I guess the first question is have you stopped using the make-up?

-If you have or even if you haven't the first step is to stop using the make-up

-the second step is to let your skin heal. This means NO picking, scratching, squeezing ect. If the blemish is ready to be extracted, break a qtip in half and use the cotton ends to gently squeeze the blemish, if it doesn't extract with a light push then its not ready and you have to leave it alone. If you continue to squeeze and pick, it will cause the bacteria to spread causing more breakouts and it will prevent the blemish from healing correctly which might be why you keep getting a blemish in the same spot. it will also cause scarring.

-your skin sounds very sensitive so you might want to try just a very gentle natural soap with Tea Tree to kill the acne causing bacteria, Tea tree is very gentle and wont causing drying like Benzoyl Peroxide which is the main ingredient in Pro-Active.

-Also you might benefit from a very gentle toner to use only on oily prone areas

I would then see how your skin reacts just by changing those few things, if your skin is still dry you can get a natural moisturizer and just use it on areas that are dry.

I hope that helps, keep me posted=)

Originally Posted by eleinys I only started using make up 1 year ago (nothing ever before,not even moisturizers, I'm 24 now), My skin was smooth, spotless and acne free.
Since I started wearing make up my face got mad at me and now my skin is driving me crazy and I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm not sure if it's acne though, cause is not like what I've seen in others girl with acne, Is like break outs that never seem to go away, every month, in the same spots, over and over again.

Over this short period of time I've tried Proactive (dried out, quit using it) and Mario Badescu Pink Lotion (burns like hell, quit too). Don't know what to try next.

I now have DRY and PATCHY some times and VERY OILY others that is driving me crazy too because I don't know what moisturizers to use or even if I should use any.

Well I guess is clear that I need your help so PLEASE HELP ME ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

Originally Posted by eleinys I only started using make up 1 year ago (nothing ever before,not even moisturizers, I'm 24 now), My skin was smooth, spotless and acne free.

I would definitely reccommend following Sondra's advice. Have you noticed your breakouts occuring around the same time as your period? 'Cause the two are, in many cases, related--I have a big problem with zits when I get my period. But for me, nothing seems to prevent these zits
icon_confused.gif

I'd like to add that my skin will break out when my makeup brushes are due for a cleaning. It doesn't sound like that is the problem you are having but it could add to it.

Also some makeup really isn't good for sensitive skin. Lots of chemicals and gunk. I really like Bare Escentuals because it's a mineral makeup. I know there are lots of mineral makeup lines out there now and lots of ladies here use them and like them. Check out the reviews.

Good luck! You'll get it figured out!

Welcome to MUT!

What brand of make-up are you wearing? Maybe that is the reason you are breaking out. I would suggest seeing a dermatologist and discuss your option. I do agree with Karrieann about mineral make-up. I have dry skin with some oilyness around my nose and have been using Bare Minerals for the past 8 months and I really like the coverage I get. I rarely break out and my make-up doesn't feel cakey.

starting over by keeping it simple:

basic skin care

find an anti-bacterial cleanser with triclosan and salicylic acid

and an oil free oil control lotion.

use twice a day

you may break out more because it is clearing the bacteria deep in your pores.

be patient. Rome was not built in a day.

time with correct use of the product

then add an anti-bacteria mask later

the dry patchy areas need to be exfoliated.

Originally Posted by Marisol Welcome to MUT!
What brand of make-up are you wearing? Maybe that is the reason you are breaking out. I would suggest seeing a dermatologist and discuss your option. I do agree with Karrieann about mineral make-up. I have dry skin with some oilyness around my nose and have been using Bare Minerals for the past 8 months and I really like the coverage I get. I rarely break out and my make-up doesn't feel cakey.

I'm using M.A.C Studio Fix Is not oily and even when I know I'm not suppose to wear make up is to hard for me to without it because of the scars but I guess I'll have to stop if I really want to put and end to this situation.Thanks

Originally Posted by MARIAN starting over by keeping it simple:
basic skin care

find an anti-bacterial cleanser with triclosan and salicylic acid

and an oil free oil control lotion.

use twice a day

you may break out more because it is clearing the bacteria deep in your pores.

be patient. Rome was not built in a day.

time with correct use of the product

then add an anti-bacteria mask later

the dry patchy areas need to be exfoliated.

I am !!, I swear to God, I'm drinking now for like a month a gallon of water daily, is not easy but I know is going to bring me good results and I also exfoliate every day with a St. Ives scrub. This is getting ridiculous. The only reason I'm still waiting to go to a dermatologist is because their creams are going to make me dry out (I believe) and I think is dry enough to add more.

I agree with everyone else, stop using your current makeup product and see what happen.

About moisturizer, on nighttime you could try dab some light lotion to the clear area on your face, don't put moisturizer on the acne area except on a day time. You'll need protection from sunlight on day time. Get a light lotion moisturizer with at least spf 15.

I also had acne on the same spot over and over again before. I didn't realize that it was the cleansing gel I was using that caused the stupid acne. After I stop using the product, my face is clear and I get only one pimple occasionally.

I'd just like to add that my dermatologist told me that it takes about 8 weeks for an acne pimple to form from a clogged pore, so if you change anything in your skin care/make-up regimen, keep in mind that you may not see positive results for almost 2 months. If you keep switching products and techniques, you may not be able to learn exactly what is causing the problem (unless it's a sensitive skin or allergic reaction you are having) and what will solve it.

I firmly believe this is true, because after my derm put me on perscription meds and recommended new drugstore brand cleansers for my sudden onset acne (at age 31 after stopping birth control pills after 16 years of taking them), it really did take 6 weeks before I noticed ANY difference, and about 2 months before I felt I was back where my skin should be (and I didn't ask for perfection, since it's never been flawless) ;0)

I've heard that StudioFix makes lots of people break out, I would defintely stop using it right away! You need to make sure that you use noncomedogenic makeup -- I have a lot of information about what kinds of makeup are safe (plus more acne info) in my notepad (just click the link to the left!), I don't feel like copying it all into my post, lol

One thing that I don't think is in my notepad is moisturizer. If you have acne and dry spots, make sure you use a noncomedogenic moisturizer because you don't want your moisturizer clogging your pores and creating new acne!
smile.gif
My dermatologist recommended Cetaphil, and their moisturizing cream does wonders for clearing up the occasional dry skin that I get!

Do you have Avene products in Canada?? They're perfect for sensitive and super sensitive skins!! For dry and for oily skins their products do miracles!! They done miracles to my acne problem I had years ago!! You have to try them!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I just wanted to add some more information to help out your skin care problem. I know how you feel about the acne scars as I used to have them also. If your skin is sensitive I would first stop using the St.Ives scrub. It could actually be spreading bacteria and irritating your skin even more. The apricot kernals that are being used as an exfoliant contain jagged edges and are of various sizes, this produces tiny surface level scratches on your skin and they spread bacteria.

I suggest a Home Microdermabrasion, one because it will properly exfoliate your skin in a gentle manor that will remove dead skin cells, clogged pores, and hard sebum without spreading bacateria or scratching your skin. A microdermabrasion will also help reduce your acne scars, and with once a week treatments they could completely be gone in a couple of months or visible reduced.

Here is a previous breif explenation I gave of microdermabrasion early so you understand more about how it works=) A Home Microdermabrasion shouldn't cost you any more than $25 at the most or else you're being ripped off. And all you need is the cream and your fingers.

Quote:
Think of microdermabrasion as a deeper and more efficient facial exfoliation. The composition of the Aluminum Oxide Crystals are what make the treatment so effective. They are hard, meaning they wont be absorbed into the skin or be effected by the rubbing. They are also ground perfectly round and to the exact same size. This is why microdermabrasion is able to deeply exfoliate without harming the skin. Other facial scrubs that use shells such as apricot scrubs, or pumice scrubs contain jagged edges and are various sizes which causes tiny superficial scartches on the skins surface and can spread acne causing bacteria.
In other words microdermabrasion is a more proper way of efficiently exfoliating your skin and you can easily adjust how deep your exfoliation is by the duration you decide to rub the treatment into your skin. So if you just want a light exfoliation, you would just rub the cream into your skin until it becomes dry and then rinse. For a deep microdermabrasion you just keep rubbing your skin even after the cream feels dry.

Then what happens is, as the aluminum oxide crystals start to grab your dead skin, little eraser like clumps start to form on your skin and fall off. This is a mixture of dead skin cells and aluminum oxide crystals. For the deepest microdermabrasion simply rub your skin until no more eraser like clumps are left. It's that easy, rinse your skin and your done.

Microdermabrasion is safe to do once a week, don't do it every day as your skin needs time to heal. I noticed Nuetragena's direction said to do a treatment every day for 5 days, which is very strange and tells you either 1. your not getting a full microdermabrasion, just an exfoliation, which is probably only do to the fact that their facial brush doesn't apply as much pressure as your fingers can or 2. they're giving bad direction lol. But either way just do it once a week or you're going to irritate your skin.

Ok now for the make-up. If you're using MAC Studio Fix is could definitly be why you're breaking out among other things. A lot of people, especially with sensitive skin cannot use MAC, for some reason it doesn't effect me, but I know it does others. To hide you're acne scars try using a spot concealer a shade lighter than your foundation, make sure the foundation and concealer you choose says non comedogenic.
For the moisturizer, any light oil free non comedogenic lotion will help and if you're skin is very oily in areas, just apply the lotion to dry spots.

I hope this helps and keep us posted with your progress=)

Originally Posted by eleinys I am !!, I swear to God, I'm drinking now for like a month a gallon of water daily, is not easy but I know is going to bring me good results and I also exfoliate every day with a St. Ives scrub. This is getting ridiculous. The only reason I'm still waiting to go to a dermatologist is because their creams are going to make me dry out (I believe) and I think is dry enough to add more.

Thank you all of you ! I will follow your suggestions and at least until all my problems are gone I'll stop using make-up for good.

Can I still play with my eyes? I hope so !! or else I'll be feeling really miserable.

Now to wrap things up I'm going to need direct pointers, for example:

What is a good microdermambrasion kit I can use ? (brand)

Moisturizer and/or Oil Control (brand)

Cleanser and Toner (brand)

A Non Comedogenic Concealer (brand)

An acne treatment [just for the zits] (brand)

(Keep in mind that I'm in Canada and might not be able to access some of the products)

I thank you all form the bottom of my heart.

Originally Posted by eleinys Thank you all of you ! I will follow your suggestions and at least until all my problems are gone I'll stop using make-up for good.
Can I still play with my eyes? I hope so !! or else I'll be feeling really miserable.

Now to wrap things up I'm going to need direct pointers, for example:

What is a good microdermambrasion kit I can use ? (brand)

Moisturizer and/or Oil Control (brand)

Cleanser and Toner (brand)

A Non Comedogenic Concealer (brand)

An acne treatment [just for the zits] (brand)

(Keep in mind that I'm in Canada and might not be able to access some of the products)

I thank you all form the bottom of my heart.

Ofcourse you can play with eyes and lips.Eyes and lips are the main part in makeup when breakouts come.

People don't see our cheek or forehead when we talk to them, they'll more attach to the eyes and lips.

So make your best beautiful eyes and pretty lips when you do your makeup.

-I've never had microdemambration so I know nothing about it.

-For moisturizer, I have oily skin in summer so currently I'm using Esteelauder DayWear Plus Multi Protection Anti Oxidant Lotion SPF 15 for oily skin. I don't wear moisturizer nighttime, because I don't need one. I just pat a light oil-free acne clear water from Ettusais with patting cotton.

- Cleanser,I'm using oil-free Acne Clear makeup remover gel and Acne clear soap. I also use Glycolic Foaming Cleanser three times a week at night to renew my skin and prevent the clogged pore become a pimple. For tonner, I don't use tonner, just a clear acne water for moisturizer type.

-Concealer, I don't use consealer; I don't think I need concealer so I just use foundation for my under eyes.

-Acne spot treatment, so far I like the Apple Cider Vinegar and Acne Barrier spot protect. You can read more thread about ACV here.

For Acne Barrier, it contains Ingredients: Tea Tree Oil (antiseptic, moisturizer), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizinate (from licorice, anti-inflammatory), Eucalyptus and Rosemary Oil (anti-bacterial, astringent), Lavender Oil (relaxation).

It prevents pimples and calms down acne. (As long as you keep your HANDS OF YOUR FACE! It will work.).

I've never had acne before, but after I turned 25 and having problems with sleep and marriage life stress I have to start taking care of my skin.

Goodluck Eleinys! And remember to keep your HANDS OF YOUR FACE.

suggestions on good products with good ingredients <TABLE ingredients=0 ingredients=0 width=502 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD ingredients=6>
essentiel.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=124>
n_41.jpg
t_dem.gif
</TD><TD width=27>
plus.gif
</TD><TD width=124>
n_185.jpg
t_soin_j.gif
</TD><TD width=27>
plus.gif
</TD><TD width=124>
n_190.jpg
t_soin_n.gif
</TD><TD> </TD><TR valine=top><TD align=middle width=124>Purifying Cleansing Gel AND Purifying Toning Lotion </TD><TD width=27> </TD><TD align=middle width=124>Ultra-Matte Day Concentrate </TD><TD width=27> </TD><TD align=middle width=124>Normalizing Night Gel </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD valine=6> <!-- <!-- <!-- <!-- AFFICHAGE DES TEXTES EN RESULTATS -->--> --> --> Oily skin is usually thicker than other skin types, is often shiny with visible pores. Blackheads and blemishes are also common characteristics of oily skin. Higher levels of sebaceous secretions are the reason your complexion may look dull and lackluster. Oily skin "resists" skin aging and sun exposure well but make-up is often short lived. When oily skin ages, fines lines and wrinkles take longer to set, however, oily skin is more prone to skin slackening.Oily skin needs to be balanced with gentle skin care products since (contrary to popular belief) oily skin often becomes sensitive due to aggressive, unsuitable products. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Originally Posted by eleinys I only started using make up 1 year ago (nothing ever before,not even moisturizers, I'm 24 now), My skin was smooth, spotless and acne free. Since I started wearing make up my face got mad at me and now my skin is driving me crazy and I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm not sure if it's acne though, cause is not like what I've seen in others girl with acne, Is like break outs that never seem to go away, every month, in the same spots, over and over again. Over this short period of time I've tried Proactive (dried out, quit using it) and Mario Badescu Pink Lotion (burns like hell, quit too). Don't know what to try next. I now have DRY and PATCHY some times and VERY OILY others that is driving me crazy too because I don't know what moisturizers to use or even if I should use any. Also have blemishes since I don't stop picking at the darn zits. Well I guess is clear that I need your help so PLEASE HELP ME ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

MAC's Studiofix definitely broke me out - what a shame considering I loved the coverage and finish, but it also made me a greaseball, so I'm not THAT dissapointed, LOL
tongue.gif
Mineral makeup wouldn't be a bad way to go once you get your face straightened out - Kim is right about it accentuating dry patches, so even though it's good for sensitive skin, it wouldn't be good for you right now. I hope you get it all worked out, as I know how frustrating/depressing bad skin can be!!

I agree wif the rest. U should stop using the makeup u have been using. Also, maybe u would want to see a good dermatologist real soon, then u would know what exactly the problem is. Bring your makeup along as well so your doc ould take a look at them as well.

Latest posts

Back