• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Skin care routine for oily skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have very oily skin and it is prone to breakouts consisting mainly of whiteheads and blackheads, primarily on the nose, upper lip and under the eyes. In addition to not knowing whether I am removing the breakouts correctly (using a towel to scrape off smaller whiteheads after cleansing, or leaving on Clearasil rapid acting treatment for bigger bumps, or using a blackhead extractor tool after opening pores with a hot shower/steam), I would like to know how to minimize large pores left behind following such removal as well as how to prevent breakouts in the lomg run (especially whiteheads as I have heard blackheads always make their way back sadly).

In more detail, here is the routine I need advice on: I cleanse, tone and moisturize (except moisturizing on bigger/stubborn blemishes) my face every morning and do the same every night except using night cream instead of a day moisturizer. I use cold water for all these washes. On Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nights I follow a longer routine instead of a normal wash in which I take a hot shower and use my daily cleanser in the shower followed by an exfoliator, which I leave on for a minute, and then rinse (all within the hot water to open my pores up and let the exfoliator get in them). I then step out the shower, dry off and extract blackheads (primarily on nose and under eyes) using a loop tool. Next, I apply Origins Active Charcoal Face mask, leaving it on for 10-15 minutes, and removing with a towel soaked in cold water. Lastly I place an ice pack on my face for 10 minutes if I have time (if not, I just skip the ice step) and then spray an unscented toner on before applying my night cream (avoiding problem areas with acne and instead putting Clearasil there to leave over night).

Am I doing it right?

More specific questions:

Removing blemishes: scraping off smaller whiteheads with a towel is okay?

Where I see bigger/stubborn blemishes I can't remove easily, I don't apply moisturizer or night cream there (after cleansing and toning) instead applying Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action treatment cream (overnight as well as theoughout the day). I repeat this until the blemishes go away, which takes many days and darkens skin tone in those areas - is this the right approach?

For blackhead removal on 3 nights in the week, is my order of events optimal or should my protocol be rearranged (currently: cleanser and exfoliator in hot shower, followed by manual extraction with a tool, followed by a clay face mask, followed by ice treatment if time, and ending with toner sprayed on and a night cream)?

Here is the list of products I use, is there anything my routine can really benefit from adding/replacing a current product with (and/or is there anything I should remove)? Products I use:

Dessert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash

Thayer's Alcohol free unscented toner Beauty on Earth Face moisturizer Era Organics Facial Moisturizer (night cream) Kyoku men's facial exfoliator Origins activated charcoal mask Pure biology face mask Clearasil rapid action treatment

Lastly, I don't currently use salicylic acid in any product as I've heard skin can become dependent on it. Perhaps using it from time to time when my skin is acting up would the fastest way to deal with acne? If so, what product would you recommend using it in - an exfoliator, day moisturizer, night cream, or spot treatment?

Thank you so much for your attention to all this - if you can even help with some of the questions that would really help as I'm quite confused!

I understand your pain but it sounds like you're really abusing your skin. 

Oily skin is a result of totally unbalanced skin - trust me I just figured out how to get rid of mine after 30 years. 

Instead of using a towel you should use a product with Glycolic Acid (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) and Salicylic Acid (Beta Hydroxy Acids) - these ingredients work to gently exfoliate instead WITHOUT an abrasive action like a scrub. 

You can incorporate them into your skincare routine as a face wash you use at night or with a micro / resurfacing peel. Remember these are gentle peels and take 4-6 weeks to see results. 

I would also ditch the toner and switch to a purifying facial mist with antibacterial plant waters like willow bark or rose water. 

Instead of striping your skin - try the peel for the whiteheads/ blackheads AND a very lightweight serum to keep skin balanced. 

Also for larger acne you should see a dermatologist. 

Good luck! Hope it works out for you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, thanks for your opinion. I am worried that I'm being too harsh as you said, but I really don't know what to do about the bigger bumps/larger pores and whiteheads.

Can anyone second the above or have differently advice?

After doing this for about 4 weeks, I have noticed that the frequency of whiteheads and blackheads has gone down, but there's an increased redness in the nose/under eye area... also bigger bumps are still appearing in new places (tho if I apply Clearisil early enough they don't becomes too prominent).

Thanks again for your opinion, any other recommendations from anyone?

A good exfoliant will help clear up your skin. I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid and my skin stays clear and I no longer get any blemishes.

I generally avoid hot showers because using hot showers can remove the essential oils from your skin thus leaving your skin as a dry skin. 

Oily skin is less prone to wrinkles and other signs of ageing primarily because the oil tends to lock the moisture into the epidermis which is the outermost layer of the skin. Here are some of the tips you must check out:

1. Say ‘Yes’ to Cleansing!:
2. Scrubbing is Good for Oily Skin!:
3. Weekly Face Masks are Highly Effective:
4. Use an Alcohol-Free Toner Everyday:
5. Do not Skip Moisturizer!:
6. Wear Sunscreen Always:

Actually, the less you do to your skin the better. Just use gentle, natural cleansers, tone and moisturize and thats all you should do.

While it is extremely important to treat your skin with the right skincare products and cosmetic treatments such as facials and cleanups, there are certain tips for oily skin that you should keep in mind.

Cleanser. Unlike dry skinoily skin cannot go without cleansing in the morning

Filmfare Glamour and Style Awards 2019 was a star-studded event where we spotted the who's who of Bollywood. Among those gorgeous celebrities was the stunning Kiara Advani who team Be Beautiful roped in for a quick beauty interview. Watch the video to know the Kabir Singh actress, Kiara Advani's beauty and skin secrets.

Your skincare routine should involve the following 

1. CLEANSE- Thats the main part of any routine. Cleanse two times a day-once in morning and other in evening.

2. MOISTURE- The key to any healthy skin is by moisturizing it daily. , 

3. PROTECTION AGAINST THE SUN- Protection against the sun is the most important for oily skin. I would recommend you to use  water-based sunscreen as oil based sunscreens make you look greasy.

And the do's other than this

-Remove makeup before going to bed

Keep your skin and body always hydrated by drinking plenty of water and eating fruits and vegetables that are highly rich in water.

he first thing on personal skin care routine is ‘Cleansing’. The three main ingredients of a cleanser are oil, water and surfactants (wetting agents). Oil and surfactants extract dirt and oil from your skin and water then flushes it out, thus making your skin clean. You might have to try a couple of cleansers before you find the one that suits you the best. However, you should always use soap-free cleansers. Also, you should use Luke warm water for cleansing (hot and cold water, both, cause damage to your skin). Take care that you don’t over-cleanse your skin and end up damaging your skin in the process.

The second thing on the personal skin care routine is exfoliation. Skin follows a natural maintenance process wherein it removes the dead cells and replaces them with new skin cells. Exfoliation is just a way to facilitate the skin in this process. Dead skin cells are not capable of responding to personal skin care products but still consume these products, hence preventing them from reaching the new skin cells. Thus removing dead skin cells is important in order to increase the effectiveness of all personal skin care products

Next thing on personal skin care routine is moisturizers. This is one of the most important things in personal skin care. Even people with oily skin need moisturisers. Moisturisers not only seal the moisture in your skin cells, but also attract moisture (from air) whenever needed. Use of too much moisturiser can however clog skin pores and end up harming your skin.

The last thing on personal skin care routine is sunscreen. A lot of moisturizers (day-time creams/moisturisers) come with UV protection – so you can get double benefits from them

Since oily skin is more prone to acne and breakouts, the best cleanser for oily skin is one that contains Salicylic Acid. 
with Tea Tree Oil can also work wonders for oily skin. 
Sebamed Clear Face Cleansing Foam and Avene Cleanance Gel, works better for me.

Latest posts

Back