Spilling the beans on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to go to a free sneak preview of it on Monday, and I figured that I would write up a little review.

It is really quite different from the first movie in several ways. It looks very very different and uses a lot of computer effects and CGI-type stuff. The character of Willy Wonka is a little bit different. They gave him a little bit of a background and a childhood story that wasn't in the book or the first movie. His father is a mean dentist that won't let Willy eat candy. There are flashbacks all through the movie. Willy is also a little creepier in this version than the first version, but is is also funnier too. Willy is very much a little boy who never grew up and lives alone with a bunch of Oompa Loompas.

The Oompa Loompas are very very different. They used one guy, and made about a million of him and sized them all knee high. I think it is just adorable. They show rows and rows of this same guy dancing and wearing the funny Oompa Loompa costumes.

The music is fabulous. Much much better than the silly songs in the first movie. It is all beautifully orchestrated Danny Elfman music. And he sings too! But it is all distorted to sound like a chorus of Oompa Loompas.

The sets and costumes look like they were influenced by 60's and 80's styles. Everything is really bright and pretty.

I think the movie is really well done and I would totally recommend it to everyone. It is really funny and cute. And Marisol, worth a trip to the IMAX? Probably not. Visually, I think it would look great on the IMAX screen, but it really doesn't have the emotional impact for me to make it worth the extra money.

Thanks for the review! I have been looking forward to seeing this movie since I heard that they were doing a remake. I will let you know what I think of it when I see it this weekend.

I'm looking forward to checking it out. I loved the original. Seeing the previews, I thought Johnny Depp looked like he was in drag, but perhaps it all comes together better in the movie!
redface.gif

I was reading an article on CNN or maybe it was Yahoo that someone thought that Johnny Depp's character looks a little like Michael Jackson. My opinion - I think not! I will watch the original every now and then.

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl

I was able to go to a free sneak preview of it on Monday, and I figured that I would write up a little review.
It is really quite different from the first movie in several ways. It looks very very different and uses a lot of computer effects and CGI-type stuff. The character of Willy Wonka is a little bit different. They gave him a little bit of a background and a childhood story that wasn't in the book or the first movie. His father is a mean dentist that won't let Willy eat candy. There are flashbacks all through the movie. Willy is also a little creepier in this version than the first version, but is is also funnier too. Willy is very much a little boy who never grew up and lives alone with a bunch of Oompa Loompas.

The Oompa Loompas are very very different. They used one guy, and made about a million of him and sized them all knee high. I think it is just adorable. They show rows and rows of this same guy dancing and wearing the funny Oompa Loompa costumes.

The music is fabulous. Much much better than the silly songs in the first movie. It is all beautifully orchestrated Danny Elfman music. And he sings too! But it is all distorted to sound like a chorus of Oompa Loompas.

The sets and costumes look like they were influenced by 60's and 80's styles. Everything is really bright and pretty.

I think the movie is really well done and I would totally recommend it to everyone. It is really funny and cute. And Marisol, worth a trip to the IMAX? Probably not. Visually, I think it would look great on the IMAX screen, but it really doesn't have the emotional impact for me to make it worth the extra money.

We'll see this very soon also!! Thanks Suzu

Originally Posted by Marisol I was reading an article on CNN or maybe it was Yahoo that someone thought that Johnny Depp's character looks a little like Michael Jackson. My opinion - I think not! I will watch the original every now and then. It could also be the character of the guy who never grew up that reminds them of MJ. Johnny Depp is in this weird pale almost blue makeup in the movie and they gave him a funky dorky kind of hair style. I don't think that Johnny Depp is exceptionally hot, and he certainly isn't in this movie. He does have the baby face. I'd say he has more of a child-like cuteness in this movie, if that make any sense.

That's so on point with what I was thinking... "guy who never grew up"... Michael??... I dunno, I don't think I really like Johnny Depp in roles like this (and that includes Edward Scissorhands)... He's so much better to me when he's being all deep or psychotic (like in The Secret Window - wasn't that the name?)

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl It could also be the character of the guy who never grew up that reminds them of MJ. Johnny Depp is in this weird pale almost blue makeup in the movie and they gave him a funky dorky kind of hair style. I don't think that Johnny Depp is exceptionally hot, and he certainly isn't in this movie. He does have the baby face. I'd say he has more of a child-like cuteness in this movie, if that make any sense.

Originally Posted by QurlySq That's so on point with what I was thinking... "guy who never grew up"... Michael??... I dunno, I don't think I really like Johnny Depp in roles like this (and that includes Edward Scissorhands)... He's so much better to me when he's being all deep or psychotic (like in The Secret Window - wasn't that the name?) Yeah I think I agree with you on that. The Secret Window, I thought was a pretty bad movie, but Johnny Depp was relatively more appealing in it. In the more fantasy movies like this one and Pirates of the Carribean he was less appealing to me, but I enjoyed the movie more. Tim Burton also has another movie coming out called The Corpse Bride. It is puppet/model animation like Nightmare Before Christmas, and it has a little puppet/model Johnny Depp in it. That will be an interesting one.

Wow.. puppets scare me... and, um, I've been meaning to say, you remind me soooooooooooooo much of Brooke Theiss... if you don't know who she is, she was one of the "twins" on "Just the Ten of Us" (man I loved that show)...

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl Yeah I think I agree with you on that. The Secret Window, I thought was a pretty bad movie, but Johnny Depp was relatively more appealing in it. In the more fantasy movies like this one and Pirates of the Carribean he was less appealing to me, but I enjoyed the movie more. Tim Burton also has another movie coming out called The Corpse Bride. It is puppet/model animation like Nightmare Before Christmas, and it has a little puppet/model Johnny Depp in it. That will be an interesting one.

Originally Posted by QurlySq Wow.. puppets scare me... and, um, I've been meaning to say, you remind me soooooooooooooo much of Brooke Theiss... if you don't know who she is, she was one of the "twins" on "Just the Ten of Us" (man I loved that show)... me? *giggle*
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by QurlySq Wow.. puppets scare me... and, um, I've been meaning to say, you remind me soooooooooooooo much of Brooke Theiss... if you don't know who she is, she was one of the "twins" on "Just the Ten of Us" (man I loved that show)... Wendy Lubbock!!! I loved that show!!! I wonder if they have a dvd box set! lol
17512A051920042184.jpg
17512Just10Us.jpg

oh yeah... back to the topic... I saw something last night about the making of C&TCC - looks like a cool movie! Funny watching them take one 'little person' and making him into a million oompas
wink.gif

BINGO!!! But Cindy was always my favorite... lol

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Wendy Lubbock!!! I loved that show!!! I wonder if they have a dvd box set! lol
17512A051920042184.jpg
17512Just10Us.jpg

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl

We saw this today and I have to say I was pleasantly surprized! I thought Tim Burton's portrayal of CHARLIE was excellent and they followed the original pretty well. There were some parts that were pretty strange, but Johnny Depp's performance was not bad. His character of Wonka was a bit different than the original, but beleiveable.
I give it 4 out of 5 Starts

Originally Posted by Marisol Thanks for the review! I have been looking forward to seeing this movie since I heard that they were doing a remake. I saw charile and the chocolate factory when it came out on the first day of friday. I liked the movie a lot. It is one of my favorite movies along with cinderella man and star wars III revenge of the sith.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 oh yeah... back to the topic... I saw something last night about the making of C&TCC - looks like a cool movie! Funny watching them take one 'little person' and making him into a million oompas
wink.gif
i saw that, too, and did you see the stunt double (is that the right word?) for the little girl who gets attacked by the squirrels?! it was sooooo weird!

Glad you ladies liked it!The squirrels were so cute though, that poor stunt person, but I guess that is what they get paid to do!

i really liked the movie!!! i like the story behind charlies childhood. it reminded me of the grinch's haunting past. also the oompa loompa's were too funny, and weird. the oompa loompa guy was scaring me!!!!

Latest posts

Back