Starlooks December 2014 (SPOILERS)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every year I end up not getting the Dec palette, I was hoping to resubscibe before this one came out, but didn't, so for the third year I missed out LOL, maybe I will breakdown and buy it if they do $25 for the box after the month is over (this palette seems to have less neutrals than the past two years! more my kind of thing)

Help...I'm trying to decide...I need to cut back on my subs. I realized that I was spending about $100 a month on subs plus other make up :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've cut out boxycharm, one Ipsy, and one indie sub...I'm down to 2 indie subs (notoriously morbid and hello waffle), one Ipsy, and starlooks. It's between Ipsy and starlooks...what would you ladies suggest? Starlooks is the better deal but that eye brow kit really annoyed me, Ipsy is cheaper and minis-but sometimes the minis are awful...and BaB is getting on my nerves.

Help!!

Also...I was supposed to get the palette today but usps didn't deliver any of my packages :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :(
I got rid of Ipsy 3-4 months ago. I don't miss it. But really it depends on what works best for you.

Help...I'm trying to decide...I need to cut back on my subs. I realized that I was spending about $100 a month on subs plus other make up :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've cut out boxycharm, one Ipsy, and one indie sub...I'm down to 2 indie subs (notoriously morbid and hello waffle), one Ipsy, and starlooks. It's between Ipsy and starlooks...what would you ladies suggest? Starlooks is the better deal but that eye brow kit really annoyed me, Ipsy is cheaper and minis-but sometimes the minis are awful...and BaB is getting on my nerves.

Help!!

Also...I was supposed to get the palette today but usps didn't deliver any of my packages :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :(
I feel like this is heresy, but...  I would cut them both.  I already cut ipsy with zero regrets (I don't even miss the bags, and if I see one I *really* want, I can usually find one on the swaps thread), and once my annual Starlooks sub ends, I'm not renewing.  I'm not even bothering to deal with the points between now and then, and I can't remember the last time I actually used anything Starlooks sent (and if I wasn't locked in until March, I would have already bailed.  I had *no clue* how radically my makeup habits were going to change when I grabbed the year!).  Between the Vanishing Cabinet and Visage, I feel like all of my WANT NEW COLOR needs are met.  All I need to round everything out is bb cream, eyeshadow primer/glitter glue, and eyeliner (I don't wear mascara), and I probably have six dozen eyeliners. 

Granted, I still have three other indie subs, plus I continue to buy MOAR INDIES, but, still, even if I cut those other three subs and the non-sub purchases, VC and Visage are basically sending two eyeshadow palettes a month between the two of them plus whatever other items (blush, highlighter, lipgloss/stick/balm, and many of the pigments are lipsafe, so that opens up endless lip options) are included.  Starlooks is good for people who are building a collection or want to be pulled out of their comfort zone, but if you're getting the VC and Visage, you're probably out of that target demographic.  (Also, personally, the stuff Starlooks sends tends to run towards the warmer side of things, and it all tends to blend together for me.  I feel like the indie subs provide a wider variety of color as well as bunches of cooler-toned things!)

I would drop ipsy and keep starlooks.  I got rid of ipsy back in the summer and like @@ChullBird, I do not miss it one bit.

At least with starlooks you get full size  quality items.  I know that not everyone liked the brow kit, but with any sub, you are going to get duds.

meganola's suggestion towards indies is a good one ~ keep in mind, the vast majority of indies do loose shadows, not pressed ones and unlike starlooks, doesn't do a palette that can be easily carried in your purse.  I love indies as well, and I also sub to a few.  However, I also know that the loose powders is a turn off for many and even though you could take the time to press them yourself, it is very time consuming.     But they are fun - that said, they primarily just do eyeshadows and lippies - I haven't seen an indie do any eyeliners, lip liners, concealer, etc.  That isn't to say they aren't out there, but most of the chatter is around eyeshadows and glosses.  

It really does depend on your needs and what you want to get out of a sub

I happen to like a mix of both ~ I love Starlooks and my indies.  I can find room for both types, but since you need to cut back on your subs, I would say - stay with Starlooks.  You get a lot of fun colors, neutrals, glitter, gloss, lipstick, eyeliners, lipliners and are very well rounded for a makeup centric sub.    I like them because I don't always have time in the morning and even during the day at work, to play around too much with my makeup  and just need to put it on and go (yet still have unique colors and fun textures)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am actually agreeing with almost all points @@meaganola & @@biancardi have made. After going indie, it's really hard to go back to regular shadows....and I HATE loose shadows. I do love starlooks and think it's great, but since discovering AB I'm not really that into makeup anymore because I don't really need it except for lippies because who doesn't need 37,000 different colors? Starlooks almost never sends me lipsticks I deem usable, and I never even really thought about it, but meaganola is right, they're all too warm toned.

Anyway~ If it were me, I'd still get rid of ipsy and maybe pick up another indie sub. I'm really liking birchbox at the moment, I feel like they've up'd their game.

OR you could cancel both subs and put that money towards something more fun: get monthly facials instead. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

some of the shades are matte and some are shimmer.. I haven't swatched any yet...I love the colors but I have SO MUCH eyeshadow...Not sure if I want to sell it, swap it, or do a giveaway!!  lol  Or keep it.

starlooks.png
Thanks for this, it's prettier than I originally thought.

I agree with everyone else! Ditch Ipsy, best decision I ever made. I also ditched Glossybox because their customer service sucks (can't wait for my 3 month sub to be done), and Topbox (Canadian Box, a lot like Ipsy). I just find the 'sample' boxes lacking a lot recently. The only one I like is Birchbox because their rewards program is the best.

Once I get my first Starlooks box, I can make an assessment on whether I'm going to keep it or ditch it as well.

I am actually agreeing with almost all points @@meaganola & @@biancardi have made. After going indie, it's really hard to go back to regular shadows....and I HATE loose shadows. I do love starlooks and think it's great, but since discovering AB I'm not really that into makeup anymore because I don't really need it except for lippies because who doesn't need 37,000 different colors? Starlooks almost never sends me lipsticks I deem usable, and I never even really thought about it, but meaganola is right, they're all too warm toned.

Anyway~ If it were me, I'd still get rid of ipsy and maybe pick up another indie sub. I'm really liking birchbox at the moment, I feel like they've up'd their game.

OR you could cancel both subs and put that money towards something more fun: get monthly facials instead. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

maybe that is why I like Starlooks - I am warm toned myself.   I am a light (very light) olive/yellow NW20 so I can waffle between some cool shades, but I always gravitate towards warmer tones naturally. I wasn't trying to diss indies ~ I love them myself.  But I wanted to give some of the issues that come with indies ~ what I have observed and what people have told me at my blog.   I love loose shadows myself, but I understand why so many hate them.

and birchbox has upped their game. I rage cancelled in 9/2013 after being with them for 13 months.  I felt that they were sending me things that totally defied what I had in my profile and I was always getting foils. 

I dipped my toe back into the birchbox waters this summer and I have been very pleased with them.   I think they have to do better, as there are so many sub boxes out there now, whereas they used to be the big fish back when the pond was small.

BTW the palette is called

mermaid

and I think they nailed that theme with the colors!

I'm dropping Ipsy after the January bag.  I dropped Starlooks for a bit but jumped back on board so I could get this palette and I love it.  I'm going to drop almost all my subs after January, except maybe Little Lace Box, Popsugar, Wantable (I'll grab these only when I want something specific since the makeup box is super customizable) and Birchbox.  I am filled to the brim with Memebox skincare/makeup & other sub makeup and the only reason why I'm keeping Birchbox is the awesome point system and I've sampled some really good high end products that I love from Birchbox.

I think I will cancel ipsy. Looking back, my favorite products that I've received are things that I can buy on my own...or starlooks. Love those gem eyeliners.

I've really never noticed that starlooks sends out mostly warm toned things. I'm cool toned (nc20) but I do love their customer service and majority of their products. Ipsy seems to really have gone downhill the past year.

Also...good to know birchbox upped their game. I subbed for a year (2012) and got sick that they kept sending me foil samples, perfume samples and tea bags. I think the only thing the entire year I liked was the chella highlighter.

I've been telling myself that it's not a good deal if I don't use it...I'm trying to use things up in my stash, and save some money for vacations this year (cruise, Virginia and mom wants to go to Graceland!).

Thanks ladies-I tried talking about this with the husband (just got married and almost wrote boyfriend, oops!) and he didn't get it... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

(Also-just cashed in my starlooks rewards for $35 off $45...for $10, bought 2 eyeliners, and the eyeliner pot in wyld-the swatches on here were beautiful!)

maybe that is why I like Starlooks - I am warm toned myself.   I am a light (very light) olive/yellow NW20 so I can waffle between some cool shades, but I always gravitate towards warmer tones naturally. I wasn't trying to diss indies ~ I love them myself.  But I wanted to give some of the issues that come with indies ~ what I have observed and what people have told me at my blog.   I love loose shadows myself, but I understand why so many hate them.

and birchbox has upped their game. I rage cancelled in 9/2013 after being with them for 13 months.  I felt that they were sending me things that totally defied what I had in my profile and I was always getting foils. 

I dipped my toe back into the birchbox waters this summer and I have been very pleased with them.   I think they have to do better, as there are so many sub boxes out there now, whereas they used to be the big fish back when the pond was small.
I am very pale and very cool toned (think death), although oddly enough I can't do black liner...at all. I didn't think you were dissing the indies! I hate loose shadows with a firey passion, but since I've tried some from various indie brands, it's really hard to go back to anything else. I've been so impressed with how amazing they are, I just try to ignore the fact that they're messy. I too get why people wouldnt want to venture in that direction. But I mean...who doesn't want a lipgloss with Nic Cage in a dress?

I rage quite bb after receiving the same beauty protector shampoo and tea packets 3 months in a row (I'm not even kidding). You're right though, I don't think they could afford not to get it together now that there are so many other subs. Everything I get from them isn't always a hit, but there are a whole lot less misses. Right now they keep sending me bb creams and I want to punch them.

I think I will cancel ipsy. Looking back, my favorite products that I've received are things that I can buy on my own...or starlooks. Love those gem eyeliners.

I've really never noticed that starlooks sends out mostly warm toned things. I'm cool toned (nc20) but I do love their customer service and majority of their products. Ipsy seems to really have gone downhill the past year.

Also...good to know birchbox upped their game. I subbed for a year (2012) and got sick that they kept sending me foil samples, perfume samples and tea bags. I think the only thing the entire year I liked was the chella highlighter.

I've been telling myself that it's not a good deal if I don't use it...I'm trying to use things up in my stash, and save some money for vacations this year (cruise, Virginia and mom wants to go to Graceland!).

Thanks ladies-I tried talking about this with the husband (just got married and almost wrote boyfriend, oops!) and he didn't get it... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

(Also-just cashed in my starlooks rewards for $35 off $45...for $10, bought 2 eyeliners, and the eyeliner pot in wyld-the swatches on here were beautiful!)
Ugh, that is what makes it so hard to leave SL. Their customer service is sososo good. And the gemliners...girrrrl. That's how they sucked me in. And I have a TON of points.

ALSO!! Congrats on the whole marriage thing. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

here are the swatches!  I finally got my review up :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am actually following the order of the colors in the palette!  I am showing two shots for each row, the top shot is with flash and the bottom flash is in natural light ~ hence its out of focus look.

Top Row:  This is the lightest row and with the exception of the last color, I did have to swipe the color 2-3 times.  This row reminds me of the color of sandy beaches.

Middle Row:  This row is heavily pigmented except the first color ~ which I swiped the color 2-3 times.  All others were swiped once.   This reminds me of the colors at sunrise and sunset, along the seaside craggy cliffs.

Bottom Row:  All heavily pigmented.  One swipe to get these colors.  The first two colors are matte shades.  The colors of the ocean and a mermaid’s tail, plus the glittering black of the deep ocean depths, where no light is to be found.

Ugh, that is what makes it so hard to leave SL. Their customer service is sososo good. And the gemliners...girrrrl. That's how they sucked me in. And I have a TON of points.

ALSO!! Congrats on the whole marriage thing. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> he's quite accepting of my makeup and cat habit ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also-got the palette today! The matte blue color just looks out of place, like an afterthought...I know it's called mermaid but that blue just bugs me.

I apologize in advance because I don't know how to make a spoiler cut, but I figured I'd post my palette as well, since the colors are actually different. Mine is called 'Festive'.

IMG_3201.JPG

Edit: I figured out the spoiler cut!!!

Oooh! Two different palettes? I'm actually not much of a blue eyeshadow girl, so I'm kinda hoping for Festive. I love me some purple! Apparently my box is stuck somewhere in Cali because USPS hasn't updated my tracking since the 19th and it says it was supposed to be delivered on the 20th. Downside to holiday shipping. :-(

I finally got mine today! I did get Mermaid instead of Festive but seeing the colors in person made me change my mind. I can do some really pretty cool/warm combo looks with it! Super excited!

Latest posts

Back