Starlooks December 2014 (SPOILERS)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally swatched mine. This is my first dealing with Starlooks shadows and I'm actually disappointed. They aren't very pigmented (particularly the mattes). There are some that are great but most of the palette was underwhelming. I'm not sure where they get their $99 price point from. I can get 15 Makeup Geek shadows that are much better quality for $90. I think I'm going to give up on Starlooks at this point. I got my first BoxyCharm box and was completely shocked. The overall value was $91 and that included a $20 eyeshadow palette with also better quality than the Starlooks one I got. :-/ Does anyone have suggestions on how to boost the colors?

So I finally swatched mine. This is my first dealing with Starlooks shadows and I'm actually disappointed. They aren't very pigmented (particularly the mattes). There are some that are great but most of the palette was underwhelming. I'm not sure where they get their $99 price point from. I can get 15 Makeup Geek shadows that are much better quality for $90. I think I'm going to give up on Starlooks at this point. I got my first BoxyCharm box and was completely shocked. The overall value was $91 and that included a $20 eyeshadow palette with also better quality than the Starlooks one I got. :-/ Does anyone have suggestions on how to boost the colors?
I keep be if agree on the quality. I haven't swatches this years yet but last years palette wasn't imo very pigmented. I have much better shadows from Lorac, UD and Too Faced. I got this years just because, hey it's 15.00 and I can get some use out of it but as a whole a little underwhelming.

I keep be if agree on the quality. I haven't swatches this years yet but last years palette wasn't imo very pigmented. I have much better shadows from Lorac, UD and Too Faced. I got this years just because, hey it's 15.00 and I can get some use out of it but as a whole a little underwhelming.
Exactly. The palette in my BoxyCharm was the Revealed from Coastal Scents and it isn't like they are really known for their quality. My UD shadows knock these out of the park (Vice palettes!!!) and you can get their palettes for much less than $99. I was so excited when I first saw the colors in person because they are so pretty but even on primer, it takes so much to build up and I just don't have the time. I'll just keep to my MUG shadows (has anyone seen the new foiled shadows...they are drool worthy!). 

Other than the first row, I found these to be very pigmented.  I used a eye shadow primer, but I always use one.    I posted my swatches here and for the 2 & 3rd row (with the exception of the 1st color on the 2nd row), I used one swipe.

I used a stiffer eyeshadow brush, not a fluffy one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only used my palette (Festive) twice so far, but my shadows seem to be fairly pigmented and I find the colour buildable. I do use my finger though, and not brushes. I find I can pick up more product that way, and with less fall-out.

In my experience, the Starlooks shadows aren't very pigmented, but they do show up nicely with a primer. I would put them in the "fair" category. They aren't UD, Too Faced, Lorac quality, but I don't think they are supposed to be. Starlooks uses a PLM and they have a huge markup. I do think the palette is worth the 1 month sub price though, and some of the colors are very beautiful and wearable.

I tried mine with primer and still no luck on pigmentation for most. Maybe I got a dud. I'll just build them up a bit because so many of those colors are so beautiful (the colors in the last two columns are SO me!). Thanks for the advice. :-D

I tried mine with primer and still no luck on pigmentation for most. Maybe I got a dud. I'll just build them up a bit because so many of those colors are so beautiful (the colors in the last two columns are SO me!). Thanks for the advice. :-D
For the matte shades, don't use your fingers...there was a discussion back on dec 2013 thread about how the oils on our fingers bind up the matte shades. I tried their suggestion, and while I haven't swatched this years palette yet, following the trick of kinda swirling your brush on the top layer really helped with pigmentation!

For the matte shades, don't use your fingers...there was a discussion back on dec 2013 thread about how the oils on our fingers bind up the matte shades. I tried their suggestion, and while I haven't swatched this years palette yet, following the trick of kinda swirling your brush on the top layer really helped with pigmentation!
Thanks for the tip on the matte shadows. I haven't tried mine yet, but I'll make sure when I do that I use a brush!

I also remember comments about how the top layers of the shadows are too hard to get a decent amount of powder on your brush, but if you kind of scrape past the hard part, it's fantastic. I haven't so much as swatched a single shadow from either palette, though, because sparkly indies have completely stolen my heart.

some of the shades are matte and some are shimmer.. I haven't swatched any yet...I love the colors but I have SO MUCH eyeshadow...Not sure if I want to sell it, swap it, or do a giveaway!!  lol  Or keep it.

starlooks.png
Pretty colors! still waiting for mine to arrive.  I dont need more eye shadow but it looks so pretty.

Help...I'm trying to decide...I need to cut back on my subs. I realized that I was spending about $100 a month on subs plus other make up :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've cut out boxycharm, one Ipsy, and one indie sub...I'm down to 2 indie subs (notoriously morbid and hello waffle), one Ipsy, and starlooks. It's between Ipsy and starlooks...what would you ladies suggest? Starlooks is the better deal but that eye brow kit really annoyed me, Ipsy is cheaper and minis-but sometimes the minis are awful...and BaB is getting on my nerves.

Help!!

Also...I was supposed to get the palette today but usps didn't deliver any of my packages :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :(
It depends if you are looking for variety Ipsy but if you dont want to deal with getting bad brands I would say Starlooks. I love the Starlooks customer service and their products are great.

here are the swatches!  I finally got my review up :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am actually following the order of the colors in the palette!  I am showing two shots for each row, the top shot is with flash and the bottom flash is in natural light ~ hence its out of focus look.

Top Row:  This is the lightest row and with the exception of the last color, I did have to swipe the color 2-3 times.  This row reminds me of the color of sandy beaches.

Middle Row:  This row is heavily pigmented except the first color ~ which I swiped the color 2-3 times.  All others were swiped once.   This reminds me of the colors at sunrise and sunset, along the seaside craggy cliffs.

Bottom Row:  All heavily pigmented.  One swipe to get these colors.  The first two colors are matte shades.  The colors of the ocean and a mermaid’s tail, plus the glittering black of the deep ocean depths, where no light is to be found.
I cant wait to get mine, specially after seeing these swatches.

I apologize in advance because I don't know how to make a spoiler cut, but I figured I'd post my palette as well, since the colors are actually different. Mine is called 'Festive'.

Edit: I figured out the spoiler cut!!!
This palette is really pretty too!

the lookbooks is not up yet for January.  Last year, January were items that were in past starboxes but you didn't get that item or color.  I loved my January's box last year as that was only the 2nd month for me, so I got the following (I lifted this from my review back then)

• Longwear Eyeliner Pot in Orion This is a beautiful teal color.  Just wonderful!  I love it so much.  Retail:  13.00
  • TenderGloss in PuzzyThis is a weird looking shade of pink, but when swatched, it is a light shimmer gloss.  This is a great go-to sheer gloss with a touch of shimmer.  Retail: $13.00
  • Longwear Lipstick in Endless This is a shimmer sheer shade of a brownish-gold.  This will be perfect for summer.  Retail:  15.00
  • Longwear Lipstick in EonThis is a matte dusty dark pink-brown color.  It is my lips but better shade.  I really enjoy this color.  I don’t worry about the “long wearing” claim, all lipsticks fade quickly on me, as I am always drinking or eating SOMETHING.  It is not drying at all for me.  Retail:  15.00
  • Lip balm in mint/aloe vera.  This is a bonus item.

I don't believe they did that before, some people were not happy with the items they got, because every box was different.... 

I would be happy with any of those items. I kind of hope they do something similar this January! I've been really into coloured eyeliners and lip products lately.

My January box last year was all lip products.  Two lipsticks and two lipglosses, in basically two colors (so one lipstick and one gloss in each color):  Pink and beige-ish.  Very meh.  I'm not sure I've used anything other than the pink lipstick, and I've only used that one a few times.

Back