Starlooks June 2014 (SPOILERS)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, but I have never gotten a white shadow palette, purple glitter or little rhinestones.  It is kind  of insulting to state that, when all you have to do is look at all of the months and see that is not the norm for this subscription. 
I didn't get those things either, but before I started subbing I went on Youtube and watched unboxings of past boxes and there were all those things.  I'm guessing the "white" shadow palette is the monochromatic one from Sept 2012, the rhinestones were one of the little extras, I believe (like how we have recently gotten the seed packet, eyelash comb & headband), the glitter she is talking about is probably the pigment from Oct 2012 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

EDIT: I checked and the rhinestones were from Sept 2012 as well.

EDIT AGAIN: it's a "monographic" not monochromatic lol I knew it was something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get those things either, but before I started subbing I went on Youtube and watched unboxings of past boxes and there were all those things! I'm guessing the white shadow palette is the one from like November of two years ago, the rhinestones were one of the little extras, I believe (like how we have recently gotten the seed packet, eyelash comb & headband), not sure about the glitter, though I'd be all for getting a purple glitter... I did recently buy a UD purple glitter :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
yeah, you can't fault them for their "extras" - lol

But looking at their boxes over the last 1 1/2 years, that wasn't the norm to have those things. 

yeah, you can't fault them for their "extras" - lol

But looking at their boxes over the last 1 1/2 years, that wasn't the norm to have those things. 
No definitely not the norm anymore.  I remember seeing vids for the first couple boxes and it was like a box of three lip glosses and stuff like that haha.

@@GirlyGirlie I think that they have been sending much more "wearable" stuff lately. When I first subscribed in Feb 2013, the first couple boxes were really fun and different stuff, then they started sending staple items and I got bored and unsubscribed...and then I was drawn back LOL Overall, I feel they send a good variety of unusual stuff to play around with and "wearable" stuff...but everyone is different and I think the best way for you to see if it has changed in your opinion or not, would be to watch the last couple months worth of unboxings on youtube or visit starlooks' site and click on "Past Boxes" and skim through the contents to see if you are into it.

I didn't get those things either, but before I started subbing I went on Youtube and watched unboxings of past boxes and there were all those things.  I'm guessing the "white" shadow palette is the monochromatic one from Sept 2012, the rhinestones were one of the little extras, I believe (like how we have recently gotten the seed packet, eyelash comb & headband), the glitter she is talking about is probably the pigment from Oct 2012 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

EDIT: I checked and the rhinestones were from Sept 2012 as well.

EDIT AGAIN: it's a "monographic" not monochromatic lol I knew it was something like that.
Yep, I tried sub boxes at the very startup of most of them.. Got burned out. It's in my " Get to know you" or whatever it's called here on MUT.

The glitter I got was not something that would stay on your eyes, IMO. Maybe IN them, and on the floor, but the formulation was just " off", And most people who got it back then should remember that it was not a useful product but it looked " beautiful" in the box.

I think my last sub with them was Dec 12. It had a big palette which was supposed to be used with some dark brown shadow palette they sent the month before ( Nov. 12). They were both OK but not spectacular in clarity of tone as I found them to mostly be orange- yellow undertones, not clear colors but muddy looking. Also, there was some difficulty with blendability and so forth. . I would have paid more for better quality. , JMO.

Maybe it's just me and my coloring, but I bought MANY eyeshadows to try to wear with the white with a fleck of pastel shadow palette and nothing ever worked. It was supposed to be a "Siberian" eye look, and I just can't pull off an icy look like that as pale as I am naturally. 

As a comparison, I have all the UD shadow palettes and boxes and so forth for the past 8-9 years, except one, and as crazy as some of their wonderful colors are, I can ALWAYS create beautiful eyes, whether bright, smoky or natural, with their products. I'm really sorry about the China deal, but I still LOVE UD colors and can't get enough. 

The 3 Nakeds plus the basic palette are so different from their usual products due to the tonal colors, but are SO versatile. 

That's what matters to me. The fact that I can go back again and again to full sized products and use them and play with them and create eyes, lips, cheeks, whatever that are pretty without being weird. Starbox was weird for a while, but the entertainment value was probably worth the $15 every month, LOL. Never thought about that before but it's true. 

In general, I really enjoy the quality of Starlooks products. The whole point for me to be subscribed to a box is to get a random surprise of items, like any other type of subscriptions. When you get your monthly magazine subscription, do you like every written article or cover? No... Sometimes, I get things I will use, some I give to friends and some that I just dare to try a something new. At my old age of 34, I dont always use all the glitter items but i have found new ways of using it, I just find that you need to be creative and these boxes allow you to do so. I do find that they give out staple items (march 2014 box) as well so its a great mix.. dont forget, they also give out bruses! Plus, they are one of the only subs that give out a loyalty reward which totally allow you to buy items you really want which is great when you get a month of duds.

Just my opinion.. that is all :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

In general, I really enjoy the quality of Starlooks products. The whole point for me to be subscribed to a box is to get a random surprise of items, like any other type of subscriptions. When you get your monthly magazine subscription, do you like every written article or cover? No... Sometimes, I get things I will use, some I give to friends and some that I just dare to try a something new. At my old age of 34, I dont always use all the glitter items but i have found new ways of using it, I just find that you need to be creative and these boxes allow you to do so. I do find that they give out staple items (march 2014 box) as well so its a great mix.. dont forget, they also give out bruses! Plus, they are one of the only subs that give out a loyalty reward which totally allow you to buy items you really want which is great when you get a month of duds.

Just my opinion.. that is all :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
and I agree!!  I am a lot older than you - lol - and I do incorporate glitter into my makeup.  You just need to know how to apply it and be creative about it.

I love the fact that after three months of subscribing ($45), I received a $35 loyalty code...and the three boxes.  Sure, not everything has been right for me, but as long as there is one pretty pencil eyeliner, blush, or brush in the three months, I think it is worth it.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   I am not very wild with my makeup, but it is nice to try new things.

First, I'd like to tell you about Starloks hair care line.

Their hair products were FANTASTIC!!!! The last time I was looking at that part of their site to purchase more, I didn't see but 1 or 2 products. I don't know if they marketed to consumers, or to retailers, but this is a line I would buy in a heartbeat from a salon or through the Internet. 

I grabbed my travel bag and I have full travel sizes of 5 of their products in multiple quantities for travel use.

The hair line is/was called Ellera.

Starlooks cosmetics launched their hair care around the time of the sub box launch. I remember seeing photos from IMAT( I think that's the trade show name) or another venue and the hair care was on display, It was gorgeous in the packaging and the lights and it could go into fine salons- it's that good, IMO. 

The packaging is VERY pretty and travel- friendly. One bottle I have is glass, but they may have changed it or DCd it. I don't know what happened to the line.

I have the following items in multiples and love them. First of all, they were produced as a comprehensive grouping, and each bottle or tube has a number on it. The highest numbered product I have is #9. I think there were 10 initially. I didn't need some of them at all, so I do not have all 10 and never have had.

Here's the breakdown of what they manufactured and marketed on their website for direct sale in 2012, which is the year it launched.

Ellera #1- Keratin Infused Shampoo- it's pearlescent and smells very clean.

Ellera #2-  Recover keratin infused conditioner- same great smell and works so well on my long and thick hair

Ellera #3 leave in keratin Serum

Ellera #5- Arouse 5x - which is another type of serum. I've never used any of the bottles of it. It seems to be an oil formula, and smells extremely good.

Ellera #9- which is an Argan oil based spray. I've never used any of it. The bottles of this product are clear glass and they put some of the natural mineral crystals in the bottle like the type which used to be packed in the makeup sob boxes. 

As I recall, the products numbered #6-8 were styling products for those who have hair with properties they want to change- either style for straight hair, or add volume for thin hair, IDK. I have long straight very thick hair, so I didn't need some of the products. Thus, I don't have them to tell you what they are.
All in all, I think this is the best and nicest put together group of hair care products I've ever used. I'd give anything to buy the full sizes now. 

The subscription absolutely did have some very unique products for the first few months, which is when I was a member. 

I'm not trying to start any sort of argument over any company or any box, but I would not lie, and I would not call another member a liar if I didn't see the items being discussud for myself, either.

I have said that I've kept and used many of the lip colors, which are lovely.  Some things were discarded because they were not being used and were close to being what I call " too old to go on this face" because I had hung on to every Starbox product, keeping them in a special place. 

I am sure that just as I've been told me that I can go look at the current boxes ( something I haven't had time to do) that anyone who wants to see what Starbox started out offering can find the oldest Starbox videos on You Tube from customer reviews and unboxings.  Some people were not really knowing what to do or how to use some of their products for a few months. Marci made some videos about how to use some or the products. IDK if Starlooks still does this, but they had good tutorials for the unusual things. The boxes I received were truly beautiful to open and just to look at as they were packaged, because they were so colorful and unusual. 

I'm sure they had a learning curve about teaching cosmetic special effects, and I'm sure they are at least somewhat more mainstream with their boxes now. Few of us ( the collective " us")  are professional makeup artists because we have other interests and responsibilities which must take precedence. . I admire people who can produce fantasy faces with lovely products made for a fantasy look or effects, and freely admit that I would have put in the effort and imagination at one time. It is not a priority to me to have the exotic "looks" they created at this time.. My fault, I suppose,  for not being extremely high style, but it's my choice and it fits in with my age group and friends.  I think Starlooks is a GREAT company, I love Marci, and there's a very good chance that I will re-add this sub to my burgeoning sub addiction.

Thanks,

GiGi

First, I'd like to tell you about Starloks hair care line.

Their hair products were FANTASTIC!!!! The last time I was looking at that part of their site to purchase more, I didn't see but 1 or 2 products. I don't know if they marketed to consumers, or to retailers, but this is a line I would buy in a heartbeat from a salon or through the Internet. 

I grabbed my travel bag and I have full travel sizes of 5 of their products in multiple quantities for travel use.

The hair line is/was called Ellera.

Starlooks cosmetics launched their hair care around the time of the sub box launch. I remember seeing photos from IMAT( I think that's the trade show name) or another venue and the hair care was on display, It was gorgeous in the packaging and the lights and it could go into fine salons- it's that good, IMO. 

The packaging is VERY pretty and travel- friendly. One bottle I have is glass, but they may have changed it or DCd it. I don't know what happened to the line.

I have the following items in multiples and love them. First of all, they were produced as a comprehensive grouping, and each bottle or tube has a number on it. The highest numbered product I have is #9. I think there were 10 initially. I didn't need some of them at all, so I do not have all 10 and never have had.

Here's the breakdown of what they manufactured and marketed on their website for direct sale in 2012, which is the year it launched.

Ellera #1- Keratin Infused Shampoo- it's pearlescent and smells very clean.

Ellera #2-  Recover keratin infused conditioner- same great smell and works so well on my long and thick hair

Ellera #3 leave in keratin Serum

Ellera #5- Arouse 5x - which is another type of serum. I've never used any of the bottles of it. It seems to be an oil formula, and smells extremely good.

Ellera #9- which is an Argan oil based spray. I've never used any of it. The bottles of this product are clear glass and they put some of the natural mineral crystals in the bottle like the type which used to be packed in the makeup sob boxes. 

As I recall, the products numbered #6-8 were styling products for those who have hair with properties they want to change- either style for straight hair, or add volume for thin hair, IDK. I have long straight very thick hair, so I didn't need some of the products. Thus, I don't have them to tell you what they are.

All in all, I think this is the best and nicest put together group of hair care products I've ever used. I'd give anything to buy the full sizes now. 

The subscription absolutely did have some very unique products for the first few months, which is when I was a member. 

I'm not trying to start any sort of argument over any company or any box, but I would not lie, and I would not call another member a liar if I didn't see the items being discussud for myself, either.

I have said that I've kept and used many of the lip colors, which are lovely.  Some things were discarded because they were not being used and were close to being what I call " too old to go on this face" because I had hung on to every Starbox product, keeping them in a special place. 

I am sure that just as I've been told me that I can go look at the current boxes ( something I haven't had time to do) that anyone who wants to see what Starbox started out offering can find the oldest Starbox videos on You Tube from customer reviews and unboxings.  Some people were not really knowing what to do or how to use some of their products for a few months. Marci made some videos about how to use some or the products. IDK if Starlooks still does this, but they had good tutorials for the unusual things. The boxes I received were truly beautiful to open and just to look at as they were packaged, because they were so colorful and unusual. 

I'm sure they had a learning curve about teaching cosmetic special effects, and I'm sure they are at least somewhat more mainstream with their boxes now. Few of us ( the collective " us")  are professional makeup artists because we have other interests and responsibilities which must take precedence. . I admire people who can produce fantasy faces with lovely products made for a fantasy look or effects, and freely admit that I would have put in the effort and imagination at one time. It is not a priority to me to have the exotic "looks" they created at this time.. My fault, I suppose,  for not being extremely high style, but it's my choice and it fits in with my age group and friends.  I think Starlooks is a GREAT company, I love Marci, and there's a very good chance that I will re-add this sub to my burgeoning sub addiction.

Thanks,

GiGi
Now you've got me interested in the haircare.  I might have to splurge on some of it with my next loyalty code.  They still sell it. . . it's under the hair care tab.  I'd love it if they'd throw one of the travel sized hair care products in the sub box from time to time.

For the record, I wasn't calling anyone a liar, but that it was insulting to state that this box is a great value for those who want glitter, white eyeshadows and rhinestones.  That is NOT the norm for Starlooks and that is what I stated - since I've been sub'd to it, I have never received those items - BECAUSE IT ISN'T THE NORM for Starlooks to send those out.  I know what they have sent out in the past, because I researched Starlooks before subb'ing to it.    All you have to do is look at their last year and see that.   I stated I had never received those items, and I haven't.   And even if I did, those were what, 4 products (they did 2 glitters, one white eyeshadow palette and an add on rhinestone thing) over how many months that they have been doing Starboxes? 

It is misleading to state that and anyone who is interested in this sub should know that and not think that all Starlooks does is send out glitter, white eyeshadows and rhinestones.   It is discouraging to those who are actually interested in this subscription box and described unfairly and inaccurately.   I have seen the early boxes and just about every box is workable.  They didn't send out blue lipsticks or anything like that (although I would be interested in a blue lipstick - gasp!!)   You can easily see their past boxes here http://starlooks.com/collections/past-starboxes

I am not 30 years old, I am almost 50 years old and I enjoy this sub - If I stop it, it will be because I have too much makeup and need to take a break.  I don't buy into that "age appropriate" talk.  I don't do "fantasy" faces or exotic looks.  I don't know anyone in RL that does that, and why Starlooks is now a sub for those who want to do that, I have no idea!!   I incorporate Starlooks makeup into my daily routine and I am a professional who works at a university.  

People will wear what they feel comfortable with.  I know 20 year olds that don't feel comfortable wearing liquid eyeliner and glimmer eyeshadow - and that is OKAY.  No need to run down a box and their subs because it is outside of a personal comfort zone.   If you don't care for their products and don't know how to use them - that is OKAY too.  I don't like overly bright eyeshadows - but that doesn't mean that if I got them in my box, that I would state that these are great for those who want to do fantasy faces - there are many people out there that use bright eyeshadows in a normal manner.   

I would never generalize the current subscribers even further by stating this sub is for those who like to do fantasy faces.  Just my opinion and you are free to disagree, but I did take offense at the running down of this sub and the over generalization of the members who do enjoy this subscription.   I am sure that if I was a newbie looking for a sub and someone stated that about Starlooks, I would not even bother to sub to it, let alone research it.  Hence, my long correction on that misperception of Starlooks Starbox.

Starlooks is for those who are interested in more trending colors and textures, as they do sprinkle those products throughout the year in their boxes.  I would not recommend this sub to anyone that worries about age appropriate makeup or those who do not wish to try new colors and products.  In fact, the one box that was "traditional" (the red lipstick, lipliner and black eyeliner) was the box many members had some very strong negative opinions on!

Personally, I have no interest in their hair products based on the descriptions given.  Those types products would weigh my hair down and make it even more greasy.  If they start loading up their boxes with hair products, I will unsub.

People will wear what they feel comfortable with.  I know 20 year olds that don't feel comfortable wearing liquid eyeliner and glimmer eyeshadow - and that is OKAY.  No need to run down a box and their subs because it is outside of a personal comfort zone.   If you don't care for their products and don't know how to use them - that is OKAY too.  I don't like overly bright eyeshadows - but that doesn't mean that if I got them in my box, that I would state that these are great for those who want to do fantasy faces - there are many people out there that use bright eyeshadows in a normal manner.   
I agree that people will wear what they are comfortable with because that's what makes them feel confident.

I had originally subbed to a couple of makeup subscription services because I wanted to try new products and build a good makeup collection. I also noticed that I was very set in my makeup ways... meaning that I always bought the same products and wore my makeup the same way. Too many times I would look at friends and envy their bold lipstick or colorful eyeshadow, thinking that I couldn't pull off the same look. While there's nothing wrong with sticking with what you like, I think if you want to break out of your comfort zone then Starlooks is pretty good at that.

I have tried some products that Starlooks sent that I thought I would hate and ended up really enjoying them. I am way more adventurous than I used to be and can wear colors that I used to think I would never be able to wear. And if a product makes me feel like I look like bozo the clown then I don't feel bad about it -- I just won't wear the product. There's always at least one item I can use (usually more) and they send more traditional/basic items too (makeup remover, black gel eyeliner, brushes, etc) so, for me, the balance of products is there. 

And on a side note.. my box is supposed to be delivered today.

Hopefully pics to come soon!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My box is supposed to be here Monday. Since most of this box seems to be a mystery, I think I am going to hold out and avoid the spoilers for the weekend, so I will be totally surprised with what I will get. It'll be interesting to see what ends up being included!

I can't wait to see what everyone gets in this box!  I only subbed March-May.  One of the reasons I didn't keep subbing is because of the plant seeds.  It was cute but just not my thing for almost $20 a month, so I can definitely see people being less than thrilled with other unanticipated extras. 

Is it bad that I keep checking back on this thread so I can see an unboxing?  I'm excited to see what we're getting.

I didn't get my box yet, but I got my Starlooks foundation samples.  They only sent 4 of the 5 I wanted to try & at first glance I can tell one of them isn't going to work (too light).  The other 3 are definite maybes so hopefully I'll like one enough to buy a full size.  The samples are in little jars that are only 1/4 way filled.  I'm a little disappointed that I paid $1.25 for each of these (since I only got 4 of the 5 I wanted to try) since there is hardly enough for a single face application in them.  One of them looks like I can get 2.5 applications out of, so that's good.  I think I was just hoping I'd get at least 3 applications for each so I could see how my face responds to it after a few days.  

I'm going to shoot them an email & give them an idea for their sample promo. . . similar to what Sephora does for their perfumes.  I think that if you order foundation samples for $5.00, that they should come with a code that allows you to buy a full size of one of the samples you purchased at $5.00 off the full price.  Just an idea for them to further push foundation sales.  Kind of like. . . try it & if you like it, we'll take the charge of the sample & put it towards the full size.

We'll see. . . 

I got my box!

• Cream Blush in "Fallen Angel"
  • Infinity Lipstick in "Limitless"
  • Infinity Eyeliner in "Sun"

Also, information about the Elleira Collective hair care subscription.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

SL1.png

SL2.png

Latest posts

Back