Stretch Marks

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've heard that you can eliminate(or decrease) stretch marks by rubbing cocoa butter on the areas. First of all, is this true? And also if so where can you buy cocoa butter? Or does anyone else have solutions for it?

welcome to MuT!
smile.gif

cocoa butter might kind of sort of maybe do something to prevent stretch marks, but it wont do anything at all to fade them. theyre pretty much a rip in the skin. time will fade them from red and raised to white or flesh colored and flush with the skin. the only thing that will get rid of them is laser treatments. nothing you rub on will mend the skin again.

you can get cocoa butter lotions at the grocery/drug store. palmers cocoa butter formula with vitamin e lotion smells really nice (vaguely chocolatey in a natural way.)

Originally Posted by haloinrverse welcome to MuT!
smile.gif

cocoa butter might kind of sort of maybe do something to prevent stretch marks, but it wont do anything at all to fade them. theyre pretty much a rip in the skin. time will fade them from red and raised to white or flesh colored and flush with the skin. the only thing that will get rid of them is laser treatments. nothing you rub on will mend the skin again.

you can get cocoa butter lotions at the grocery/drug store. palmers cocoa butter formula with vitamin e lotion smells really nice (vaguely chocolatey in a natural way.)

hhbeware.gif
hhbeware.gif
hhbeware.gif
hhbeware.gif
This is just a reaffirmation of what Halo said above. Here's info. from a doctor regarding stretch marks:

I'M VERY SELF-CONSCIOUS ABOUT THEM. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HEARD OF ANY METHODS TO PERMANENTLY GET RID OF STRETCH MARKS? IF SO, PLEASE E-mail ME.

Dr. Bermant comments:

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

STRIAE are the result of your skin collagen breaking down under the stress of extra weight or a stretching mass (ie pregnancy). Early on they are red. In this phase they will try to heal (become white). Most scars do better when massaged with a lubricant like cocoa butter. They can thus fade a little. Once the scars have matured they cannot be removed except by cutting them out. This leaves an unacceptable scar and therefore is not done. Laser treatment can help with fine wrinkles. I have never read nor seen any studies claiming that they will work on stretch marks. BE WARY! Make the doctor who is making the claim prove it not only to you, but the rest of the medical profession! The best way to minimize stretch marks is not to damage the skin in the first place. There is no good alternative for pregnancy but gaining extra unneeded weight is a reasonable goal. Once you have the marks, camouflage is a reasonable choice. Clothing and special concealing makeup are effective. Stretch makrs look worse in loose skin. If you skin needs tightening, like with a body lift or butt lift, it may look better after surgery. The stretch marks will still be there, but often they are less crepy.

Michael Bermant, MD

Q: I heard that cocoa butter helps make stretch marks fade faster, despite the smell of coconut s every were.

Dr. Bermant comments:

It is not the cocoa butter but the massaging itself that seems to help with the stretch marks. I recommend that my patients massage many of their scars with cocoa butter to hasten the maturation. Pressure therapy has helped some scars, but not the stretch marks.

Michael Bermant, MD

huh. ive always read that stretch marks can be diminished with laser treatment. they dont remove them, but they help them fade. i should have phrased that better.
smile.gif

q.gif
Is laser surgery an answer to stretch marks?

</FONT>
a.gif
Laser surgery is currently being developed for the treatment of stretch marks. However, these treatments don't remove stretch marks - they simply make them fade. The laser responds to dark colours only, so laser treatment is likely to be most effective in the early stages, when stretch marks are dark red or brown. However, a series of treatments might be required for visible results. Faded, flesh-coloured marks will probably not respond to laser treatment since they won't be easily detected.

Laser treatment is helpful for the stretch marks that are still red (with a blood supply) but they wont do anything for faded silver stretch marks. There is an oil called BIO OIL which has been getting some amazing reviews and results from stretch marks to scarring.

From a Man's point, stretch marks are a sign that you usually have had children. Being a mom is a large turn on for allot of men, including myself. Just knowing they are a bit tougher and know how to deal w/ kids' situations on a 24/7 basis, makes it quite nice in a man's eyes. Just like women during pregnancy, now that is SUPER cool. Women just just soo different when they are preggers....love it!!! Now, some have stretchmarks from being fat. This there is no excuse for.....

Originally Posted by candy

Laser treatment is helpful for the stretch marks that are still red (with a blood supply) but they wont do anything for faded silver stretch marks. There is an oil called BIO OIL which has been getting some amazing reviews and results from stretch marks to scarring.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) From a Man's point, stretch marks are a sign that you usually have had children. Being a mom is a large turn on for allot of men, including myself. Just knowing they are a bit tougher and know how to deal w/ kids' situations on a 24/7 basis, makes it quite nice in a man's eyes. Just like women during pregnancy, now that is SUPER cool. Women just just soo different when they are preggers....love it!!!
Now, some have stretchmarks from being fat. This there is no excuse for.....

Did you know that TOny has stretch marks on his hips from giving birth to MuT? Yup! He loves it!
biggrin.gif
icon_lol.gif
0001tony.jpg

Decleor Tonilastil stretch mark concentrate (oil) and cream worked extremely well at smoothing out the surface of my stomach, so that the stretchmarks are not ripply. I dont think I can derive anymore progress of those products because my skin is very smooth so now I move onto phase 2. LOL working on the actual marks. Im doing BHA 8% in the morning and Copper peptide serum at night. Copper is supposed to encourage skin regeneration....we'll see!

I didnt get any stretch marks apart from at the side of my tum. The best thing i have heard to use is Palmers cocoa butter. My friends swear by it and its made in the usa. Smells yummy too.

I know no one wants to hear this and I wish it were not true, but there is no way to get rid of stretch marks once they turn white. Excercise and hydration helps the look of them as does self-tanner. If they are new marks, (still red ) application of a certain type of laser from a plastic surgeon can significantly lessen the marks. I've been doing research on this subject for years hoping to find a solution. HTH

Hi Saphire Lady! Just wanted to welcome you to MakeupTalk
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by sapphirelady

I know no one wants to hear this and I wish it were not true, but there is no way to get rid of stretch marks once they turn white. Excercise and hydration helps the look of them as does self-tanner. If they are new marks, (still red ) application of a certain type of laser from a plastic surgeon can significantly lessen the marks. I've been doing research on this subject for years hoping to find a solution. HTH

I'm going to try the Galenic Elancyl stretch mark cream I got on sale from strawberrynet.com. I'll let you know if it works. I tried the Galenic line years ago when I still lived in Europe for my cellulite and the product worked pretty well.

Yep I'm from Finland.
icon_smile.gif
When I still lived in Finland, I traveled to London with my parents and that was a great trip. I'd love to go back someday to London and see some other places too.

Good News!! I had body building stretch marks and my wife had pregnancy stretch marks. We used this product Discover Stretch Mark Treatment and Pregnancy Stretch Marks here. and it worked. I have tried so many products and treatments but none really worked. Believe me, this is not marketing talk, I genuinely want to share this information with you guys. I won't make a cent out of this. They have very limited production and eventhough I cannot vouch whether it will work for every single person, it is definitely worth a try. Very reasonable pricing. Best thing, its 30 days money back guarantee!

I have a 8 year old and i still have the stretch marks, cocoa butter didn't work for me post baby, it may work for some before the baby. I didn't use it like i should when i was pregnant.

Is it possible to get stretch marks from just having extremely dry skin? Because I have had some pretty nasty ones on the inside of my right thigh since around this summer, and I really can't figure out why I got them. If I grew it was only about an inch, and I did gain a little weight but not a drastic amount. I didn't notice a big difference in the, um, fattiness of my thighs, all i noticed was the stretch marks.

It's really strange...

Latest posts

Back