Suffering from OCD

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else on MUT suffers from OCD-obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I am not talking about the "I am obsessive about keeping my house clean" OCD. I am talking about the OCD where it consumes over 1 hour of your day-everyday, thinking about repetitive counting and rechecking, like being late to work everyday and not being able to do ANYTHING about it. I here people everyday telling me to just "stop it" as if I can control it. I am only wondering if there is anyone else on MUT who can relate and tell me what you are doing to help control it besides the obvious, medication and behavioral reconditioning. Also, how do you get your family and friends to understand that this is something you can not control but wish that you could.
confused.gif

I have very slight OCD compared to some others I know, but it never makes me late for anything because I'm a bit obsessive about time. It's hard to explain to people if they don't know anything about it...luckily for me the people around me are pretty well informed about certain disorders, especially mine...I'm mostly manic-depressive, so that's mainly what they need to deal with from me, but I think my OCD is getting worse as I get older. The bad part for me is trying to make sure my son doesn't pick up on some of my habits and think that's how you normally do things. If your family is having a tough time understanding about it, maybe you should pick up some informative reading for them to take a look at so they do know it's a disorder and not just bad habits.

36_1_67.gif
I don't have any experience with this issue but my heart goes out to you. I know that it is hard to be going though something and feel like no one understands you. Hang in there.

Wow, I sure it's tough when you have a problem like that and people just don't get it!

I have a student who has been diagnosed OCD. He will do things like go around the room putting all of the crayons in the same color order in the boxes and there is nothing I can do to get him to stop. At first, I would get really mad because I'd be trying to get the kids out and he wouldn't stop, but then I learned that he can't help it so I've learned to work with it and since I know he likes things a certain way so I'll often ask him to stop early and organize things so that it doesn't eat into his lunch time or something. Other people will ask me why I don't just make him leave the room. It definately has to be explained to people.

I think it's all about education. You have to explain to people that this is a disorder and it isn't a choice you're making. I also think it hurts that people talk about being OCD when in reality they aren't because it trivializes the actual disorder. I don't really know what you can do other than educate people about the disorder so that they understand why you do certain things and be supportive of you rather than getting upset with you.

I have to say that the thing that does make me the most angry is when the people I work with will do something like clean there desk or anything and explain the reason they did it is because they are "so OCD". You are right. It so trivializes how hard it is suffering from OCD. I can not think of ONE person I would wish it upon.

The counting in the morning before I leave for work does not so much bother me. I mean I unplug nearly everything and then go back to make sure that I unplugged everything. But what is a nuisance is when I am driving, everytime I hit a pothole or bump or anything for that fact, I have to go back to make sure I have not hit a person or an animal. It is so time consuming but my mind will not relax until I make sure everything is OK. I have tried to keep driving on but then that causes a panic attack so just to get it over with, I go back. The worst it has been though is it took me 57 minutes to get to work and the actual drive is about 25 minutes. I wish I could stop but I can't. Hopefully with some behavior modification (and meds) I can get this licked.

i saw some shows that talked about OCD. the most recent was on dr.phil a few days ago. i hope you can get through this or at least have it not as bad.

Originally Posted by Liz

i saw some shows that talked about OCD. the most recent was on dr.phil a few days ago. i hope you can get through this or at least have it not as bad.

I am a little obsessive, but not too bad. If you ask Reija, I have obsessed w/ MakeupTalk for a long time....lol
Anyhow, Luckyme, hopefully someone can help you to redirect your OCD to something constructive. My cousin is a MAJOR OCD, and he obsesses on Karate and Exersize. He runs 50 miles/week and is in good shape. Oh he also obsesses on EATING too(eating like 4 deserts with dinner etc)...but since he runs that much, it doesn't matter.

I actually think I am developing OCD b/c I have become quite paranoid about my clothing being clean and not touching anything.

I think this may have developed because (1) I have terrible luck with clothes- I have ruined quite a few and seem prone to accidents and (2) since law school isn't predictable or controllable, I've developed the need to control other things. IMHO, there are worst things I could have developed as a result of law school, such as alcoholism as I suspect some of my classmates are already on this road. But still, my slight OCD is not good.

I'm kind of a control freak, so it's just transferred from school to cleanliness of my clothing. I feel like a freak and it drives my bf nuts.

I have a little bit too but for my classes. I am an A student and I get obsessive for that...

Hey, they said in my psychology class that the percentage of students with OCD tendencies (not necessarily true OCD) increases as the degree gets higher!

Anyways, LuckyMe, I'm sorry I don't have any help for you ... hubby and I each have mild tendencies but nothing that really interferes with our daily lives. (I just have to check my alarm clock and the door locks several times each night, and hubby checks that the oven is off and his truck headlights are off ... what's scary is that we each have to check in a pattern, like I repeatedly hit the alarm button to check the time and sing a little tune in my head while I hit it, and hubby sings a tune in his head when he checks the oven!) But I can understand what you mean ... I can't sleep at all until I check that alarm a bunch of times!

Originally Posted by LuckyMe I was wondering if anyone else on MUT suffers from OCD-obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I am not talking about the "I am obsessive about keeping my house clean" OCD. I am talking about the OCD where it consumes over 1 hour of your day-everyday, thinking about repetitive counting and rechecking, like being late to work everyday and not being able to do ANYTHING about it. I here people everyday telling me to just "stop it" as if I can control it. I am only wondering if there is anyone else on MUT who can relate and tell me what you are doing to help control it besides the obvious, medication and behavioral reconditioning. Also, how do you get your family and friends to understand that this is something you can not control but wish that you could.
confused.gif
I'm sorry some people are so naive,I know it must be very frustrating for some one to say get over it or you'll grow out of it.My mother has a bit of ocd,the worst its been is,we have to check all the nobs on the stove to make sure its off,make sure every thing is unplugged.and no matter how clean something is ,she will find a reason to clean again.I think it even affected me,cause now if i see things messy ,i cant physically relax unless its picked up. I think the best thing you can tell your family is that ,this is you and if they love you and respect you as a person,they will learn to accept you,flaws and all,and perhaps they can educate themselves on your condition so they can see it from a professional view.Sometimes you can explain something over and over but they choose to think you are just covering for yourself,but if they hear the same thing from someone with a phys degree then they believe it and stop thinking you are making it up.I wish you the best and i hope you family can be more understanding of you and less judgemental.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nydoll23 I'm sorry some people are so naive,I know it must be very frustrating for some one to say get over it or you'll grow out of it.My mother has a bit of ocd,the worst its been is,we have to check all the nobs on the stove to make sure its off,make sure every thing is unplugged.and no matter how clean something is ,she will find a reason to clean again.I think it even affected me,cause now if i see things messy ,i cant physically relax unless its picked up. I think the best thing you can tell your family is that ,this is you and if they love you and respect you as a person,they will learn to accept you,flaws and all,and perhaps they can educate themselves on your condition so they can see it from a professional view.Sometimes you can explain something over and over but they choose to think you are just covering for yourself,but if they hear the same thing from someone with a phys degree then they believe it and stop thinking you are making it up.I wish you the best and i hope you family can be more understanding of you and less judgemental.
smile.gif
OMG! I think I may be your mother. Are you sure this is not my son on here explaining me to a T !

I would never claim that I have OCD, but I can tell you that I do obsess over germs. When I first went to college, I was majoring in microbiology and I must say it was the worst topic for me to ever learn about. I wash my hands 15-20 times a day now (which is NOWHERE near the amount that OCD germ people wash) and I completely avoid public restrooms. I am not repulsed by my own germs, but only those of others. Sometimes it makes me feel like a brat, as if I think I'm clean but nobody else is. But I really can't help it. The other weird thing is that I am an animal lover, and I have no problem hugging & kissing my dog or anybody's pets. It is only people germs that repulse me. Sometimes even baby/kid germs are too much for me, although I am far more tolerant of their germs than adults' germs.

I know I'm not clinically OCD, and I can't imagine how hard that must be to deal with, because I know it's much harder than dealing with my own germ problem. So I hope you are able to find a healthy & sustainable way to keep your condition under control.

My sister, her daughter and two of my cousins have OCD. All are "checkers." Watching them while the "checking" ruled their lives was painful. My sister told me the worst part was she knew her behavior was crazy, but she really couldn't help it.

Medication, support groups and behavior mod helped them all. Once in a while my sister will call me to say she has been "obsessing" about something, telling me helps her let it go. Otherwise, they all have their lives back, all but my sister are still on medication.

Sending good vibes your way...you can turn the tables and control this disease and I'm praying/routing for you!

Meg

Hi, I know what you are going through, and I read that you were wondering if there was any medication that you could take to help this. Let me say that I am taking Zoloft for OCD and mood swings and it has helped me greatly. You just have to keep up with taking it every day as it takes about 4 weeks to really work. At first you will be really tired, but to me it was worth going through as this medication actually saved my marriage and I do not know where I would be today without it. Presently I am taking 200 mg a night and I am comfortable with the dosage and I do not obsess like I used to. Also I am ALOT more polite to people! Thats a good thing! Of course there are other meds out there that you and your doctor can talk about you taking to correct the syndrome, I really hope that you go and check them out as you will be relieved in so many ways. Much regards, Jessica Boggs
biggrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_lol.gif

QUOTE=LuckyMe]I have to say that the thing that does make me the most angry is when the people I work with will do something like clean there desk or anything and explain the reason they did it is because they are "so OCD". You are right. It so trivializes how hard it is suffering from OCD. I can not think of ONE person I would wish it upon.

The counting in the morning before I leave for work does not so much bother me. I mean I unplug nearly everything and then go back to make sure that I unplugged everything. But what is a nuisance is when I am driving, everytime I hit a pothole or bump or anything for that fact, I have to go back to make sure I have not hit a person or an animal. It is so time consuming but my mind will not relax until I make sure everything is OK. I have tried to keep driving on but then that causes a panic attack so just to get it over with, I go back. The worst it has been though is it took me 57 minutes to get to work and the actual drive is about 25 minutes. I wish I could stop but I can't. Hopefully with some behavior modification (and meds) I can get this licked.

Originally Posted by LuckyMe I was wondering if anyone else on MUT suffers from OCD-obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I am not talking about the "I am obsessive about keeping my house clean" OCD. I am talking about the OCD where it consumes over 1 hour of your day-everyday, thinking about repetitive counting and rechecking, like being late to work everyday and not being able to do ANYTHING about it. I here people everyday telling me to just "stop it" as if I can control it. I am only wondering if there is anyone else on MUT who can relate and tell me what you are doing to help control it besides the obvious, medication and behavioral reconditioning. Also, how do you get your family and friends to understand that this is something you can not control but wish that you could.
confused.gif
Hi LuckyMe,

I TOTALLY understand about OCD and i do sympthise with you and know how debilitiating it can be. I was just wondering how long you have been suffereing from OCD? Is this something that has just come on recently or have you had it for a long time? The reason i am asking is because OCD can be a symptom of stress and anxiety and can stay with a person for years or can go when a person feels better. Ive had OCD since i was 7 and have lived with it for years. I have notced it getting better for a while and then other times it worsens. I have also learned to control it by recognising what makes it come on.You mentioned you are late because of your ocd.I can also relate to that. I have learned to allow myself time for my ocd and to take it into consideration when planning things. The less pressure you are under the less stressed you will feel and it isd easier to manage. Stress can only make it worse. I believe Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is very helpful in treating ocd and sometimes medication can help too. Usually anti -depressants.

Hopefully the ocd will get better. Are you getting any help for it?

Just wanted to send you a quick welcome Sapphire! I'm Janelle, and it's nice to meet you! Thanks for sharing your story with us!
redface.gif

I have suffered from it for years and stress definitely is a trigger. I think that part of the reason that I am actively having a problem with it now is because 1. school is getting ready to get out which means my whole routine is going to have to change and 2. We just bought my son (only child) his first car.

Usually the only time I struggle is during the Christmas Season which I think everyone can relate to the stress at that time. I don't handle change very well due to my OCD. My life seems based on patterns. I am not complaining because I know people who have it sooooooo much worse than me. I just wondering how other people cope and what they do to control it.

I am going back on to fluoxetine which will hopefully help me with the challenge of all the changes going on.

Originally Posted by LuckyMe I have suffered from it for years and stress definitely is a trigger. I think that part of the reason that I am actively having a problem with it now is because 1. school is getting ready to get out which means my whole routine is going to have to change and 2. We just bought my son (only child) his first car.
Usually the only time I struggle is during the Christmas Season which I think everyone can relate to the stress at that time. I don't handle change very well due to my OCD. My life seems based on patterns. I am not complaining because I know people who have it sooooooo much worse than me. I just wondering how other people cope and what they do to control it.

I am going back on to fluoxetine which will hopefully help me with the challenge of all the changes going on.

Aww LuckyMe i hope it gets better for you (((hugs))) OCD however small is a pain and it's obviously causing you distress. I know it doesn't help when family and friends tell you to snap out of it.That's impossible. I have been thinking about your post since i replyed to you and i was thinking mabe if you could ask your family and friends to look up OCD it might help them understand more about it. The thing is the more stressed you get the worse it will get. You mentioned you were going back on fluoxetine,hopefully they will make you feel better and lift any depression you have. Mabe you should try to take some special time for yourself and have a nice bath with essential oils (good for depression) try and relax more. Have a nice malty drink and take deep breaths.Sometimes deep breaths can help with the panic and compulsions,patterns etc. I have the same problem with patterns.I think the CBT could really help you.I had a few weeks of therapy and was getting somewhere when the funding ran out.I was so dissapointed at the time but there are books which are very helpful. Life is so much easier if people around you can understand what you are going through.I am thinking if you are going back on the prozac you are feeling down, but i am hoping and sure you will feel better soon.sapphirestarr, WELCOME TO MUT!

Originally Posted by LuckyMe OMG! I think I may be your mother. Are you sure this is not my son on here explaining me to a T ! Nope,its a true story,so i know first hand how it is .I dont judge my mother and it dosent freak me out,i just try to be as understanding as i can,now i know better about ocd,when i was a kid i didnt like checking all the plugs etc.

You will be fine,im wishing you the best!!!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back