Summer Makeup: How to Get the Natural Look

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD><TD>A 'natural' look is one that uses colors that are right for your skin tone. It is not about dramatic effects but more about enhancing your natural beauty. How much makeup you use, and where, depends on your personal style and needs. A natural look is very flattering in the summer time when your skin has a healthier glow. Here's how to get the look.

ddmakeup.jpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Make sure your concealer is yellow in tone since it mutes imperfections without adding color, giving your skin a natural look. A concealer with a moisturizing base is less drying, but if your skin is extremely oily, you may opt for a concealer with a more powdery finish. (Concealers to try: Sephora Light Touch Concealer in "warm medium", Vincent Longo Cream Concealer, Dior Smoothing Anti-Fatigue Concealer, Paula Dorf Total Camouflauge)

Apply foundation that matches your skin tone. The right foundation will seem to disappear on your face. If you are African-American, it's a good idea to have light, medium and dark shades of your foundation to allow for different gradations of color on different parts of your face. You may opt to use foundation only on slightly discolored areas. A good summer foundation will blend smoothly and lightly and may have a moisturizing base and sunscreen to protect skin in the heat.

(Foundations to try: Stila Sheer Tinted Moisturizer, FreshFace Foundation SPF 20, Exuviance Skin Caring Foundation SPF 15, Dion vonFurstenberg Skin Tint SPF 15, CoverGirl TruBlend)

TIP: For natural looking foundation, mix your moisturizer and foundation in your hand and blend well; it'll help you look less made-up.

Apply eye makeup in earthy tones such as beige, brown, gold or plum for shadows and brown and charcoal gray for liner and mascara. Skip liner or shadow entirely if you want to keep makeup light. If you use liner, opt for a softer look by using a pencil or shadow rather than a liquid liner which creates a harsh line. Another option for eyes that pop is to use a light highlighting bronzer on cheeks as well as underneath the brow bone for a sunkissed look.

(Try these earthy tones for eyemakeup: Paula Dorf Eyecolor Glimmer in "Desire", Lancome Le Stylo Waterproof Long Lasting Eyeliner in "Fumee", i.d. Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Eyeshadow in "Faux Fox", Bronze Universel de Chanel Sun Illuminator, Revlon Skinlights Face Illuminator in "bare", "warm" , or "golden")

Try a blush that gives you the same flush color as after you've exercised. For summer, a creamier, sheer blush gives a pretty, natural look. You may also place a dab of cream blush or gel on your lips for a soft, natural color and top it off with SPF lip balm.

(Try these blushes: Hard Candy Sweet Cheeks Liquid Blush in "Honey Bunny" or "Girlie", Vincent Longo Lip and Cheek Gel Stain in "Liquid Kiss", Fresh Blush Cream in "Age of Innocense" or "Portrait of a Lady, Bonne Bell Smooth Shades in "Sheer Vanilla)

TIP: For a natural look in lip color, fill in lips with nude lipliner (liner that matches the color or is close to the color of your lips) and add a shiny gloss or a favorite lip balm.

Wa La, you're fresh to GLOW!

Originally Posted by Californian <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD><TD>A 'natural' look is one that uses colors that are right for your skin tone. It is not about dramatic effects but more about enhancing your natural beauty. How much makeup you use, and where, depends on your personal style and needs. A natural look is very flattering in the summer time when your skin has a healthier glow. Here's how to get the look.

ddmakeup.jpg

Make sure your concealer is yellow in tone since it mutes imperfections without adding color, giving your skin a natural look. A concealer with a moisturizing base is less drying, but if your skin is extremely oily, you may opt for a concealer with a more powdery finish. (Concealers to try: Sephora Light Touch Concealer in "warm medium", Vincent Longo Cream Concealer, Dior Smoothing Anti-Fatigue Concealer, Paula Dorf Total Camouflauge)

Apply foundation that matches your skin tone. The right foundation will seem to disappear on your face. If you are African-American, it's a good idea to have light, medium and dark shades of your foundation to allow for different gradations of color on different parts of your face. You may opt to use foundation only on slightly discolored areas. A good summer foundation will blend smoothly and lightly and may have a moisturizing base and sunscreen to protect skin in the heat.

(Foundations to try: Stila Sheer Tinted Moisturizer, FreshFace Foundation SPF 20, Exuviance Skin Caring Foundation SPF 15, Dion vonFurstenberg Skin Tint SPF 15, CoverGirl TruBlend)

TIP: For natural looking foundation, mix your moisturizer and foundation in your hand and blend well; it'll help you look less made-up.

Apply eye makeup in earthy tones such as beige, brown, gold or plum for shadows and brown and charcoal gray for liner and mascara. Skip liner or shadow entirely if you want to keep makeup light. If you use liner, opt for a softer look by using a pencil or shadow rather than a liquid liner which creates a harsh line. Another option for eyes that pop is to use a light highlighting bronzer on cheeks as well as underneath the brow bone for a sunkissed look.

(Try these earthy tones for eyemakeup: Paula Dorf Eyecolor Glimmer in "Desire", Lancome Le Stylo Waterproof Long Lasting Eyeliner in "Fumee", i.d. Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Eyeshadow in "Faux Fox", Bronze Universel de Chanel Sun Illuminator, Revlon Skinlights Face Illuminator in "bare", "warm" , or "golden")

Try a blush that gives you the same flush color as after you've exercised. For summer, a creamier, sheer blush gives a pretty, natural look. You may also place a dab of cream blush or gel on your lips for a soft, natural color and top it off with SPF lip balm.

(Try these blushes: Hard Candy Sweet Cheeks Liquid Blush in "Honey Bunny" or "Girlie", Vincent Longo Lip and Cheek Gel Stain in "Liquid Kiss", Fresh Blush Cream in "Age of Innocense" or "Portrait of a Lady, Bonne Bell Smooth Shades in "Sheer Vanilla)

TIP: For a natural look in lip color, fill in lips with nude lipliner (liner that matches the color or is close to the color of your lips) and add a shiny gloss or a favorite lip balm.

Wa La, you're fresh to GLOW!

Great post Ry! Very informative

Originally Posted by Californian <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD><TD>A 'natural' look is one that uses colors that are right for your skin tone. It is not about dramatic effects but more about enhancing your natural beauty. How much makeup you use, and where, depends on your personal style and needs. A natural look is very flattering in the summer time when your skin has a healthier glow. Here's how to get the look.

ddmakeup.jpg

Sarah Michelle Gellar (aka Buffy) is so beautiful - definitely one of my fave actresses! A few other natural-looking ladies include:
Kristin Kreuk (Lana Lang on Smallville)

Scarlett Johansson (Lost in Translation, Girl with a Pearl Earring)

Sandra Bullock

Meg Ryan

Those are a few off the top of my head that I adore.

I completely agree on Sarah, Sandra, and Meg! I am not too familiar with the other girls. I think the natural look is the prettiest!

smile.gif

Originally Posted by Californian I completely agree on Sarah, Sandra, and Meg! I am not too familiar with the other girls. I think the natural look is the prettiest!
smile.gif

Kristin Kreuk does some Neutrogena commercials, as well as appearing on Smallville as Lana Lang. She's absolutely lovely, and natural-looking, and really uses the products she advertises for! I checked on Makeup411, and she really does use Neutrogena! How interesting - I always wonder if actresses really use the products they advertise on TV. LOL

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Kristin Kreuk does some Neutrogena commercials, as well as appearing on Smallville as Lana Lang. She's absolutely lovely, and natural-looking, and really uses the products she advertises for! I checked on Makeup411, and she really does use Neutrogena! How interesting - I always wonder if actresses really use the products they advertise on TV. LOL
newstar.gif
I swear by Neutrogena skin care!! It does work and it is dermatologist recommended.

newbannermut3.jpg

Just this morning Reija was RAVING about Neutrogena! Finally switched her to drugstore!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
This stuff must be good.

Originally Posted by Californian

newstar.gif
I swear by Neutrogena skin care!! It does work and it is dermatologist recommended.

newbannermut3.jpg

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Just this morning Reija was RAVING about Neutrogena! Finally switched her to drugstore!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
This stuff must be good. Yeah!!!! It's a miracle!!! Hehehheheh. COOL!!!
wordwow2.gif

Latest posts

Back