Taking inventory

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to do this but I feel like I would need a day just to calculate all of it. I did an excel spreadsheet and it was over 4 pages and over 200 items. I am an eyeshadow hoarder so I don't want to even know...I even got rid of some stuff recently. This is making me cringe already and I haven't even counted yet.

Edit: So I added it up and why?

• Eyeshadow: 241....who needs that much?!
  • Eyeliner: 22
  • Brow: 7
  • Mascara: 9
  • Powder: 4
  • Concealer: 2
  • Primer: 5
  • Foundation: 2 (I hate foundation, if I liked it this would probably be higher)
  • Blush: 14
  • Bronzer: 11
  • Lipstick/lip crayons/lip glosses: 70....I don't know how that happened.
  • Brushes: 47...I am addicted to brushes.
This is a problem. I am slightly in denial. This is too much money into products I don't really need....but it's my precious!

Quote: Originally Posted by MIKAGlam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I want to do this but I feel like I would need a day just to calculate all of it. I did an excel spreadsheet and it was over 4 pages and over 200 items. I am an eyeshadow hoarder so I don't want to even know...I even got rid of some stuff recently. This is making me cringe already and I haven't even counted yet.

Edit: So I added it up and why?

• Eyeshadow: 241....who needs that much?!
  • Eyeliner: 22
  • Brow: 7
  • Mascara: 9
  • Powder: 4
  • Concealer: 2
  • Primer: 5
  • Foundation: 2 (I hate foundation, if I liked it this would probably be higher)
  • Blush: 14
  • Bronzer: 11
  • Lipstick/lip crayons/lip glosses: 70....I don't know how that happened.
  • Brushes: 47...I am addicted to brushes.
This is a problem. I am slightly in denial. This is too much money into products I don't really need....but it's my precious!
Yeah. I decided to start the year honestly and go through everything. i grabbed a piece of paper and started counting -- OMG the amount of money. None of my items are what you would consider "cheap" -- I think the two most moderately priced items I have are several maybelline color tattoos and a few Wet N Wild palettes.

I feel a little sick but that doesn't curve my coveting all the pretties! 

So here are my numbers:

Eyeshadow: 169

Face powders: 4 -- picky because I can never find a good color match. 

Blushes: 29

Foundation: 5 -- picky because I can never find a good color match on this either. 

BB cream: 1

Concealer: 6 -- ditto on this. 

Correctors: 2 (peach and green, respectively)

Lipgloss: 7

Lipstick: 18 -- ...I can't remember the last time I wore lipstick 

Lip pencils: 2

Eye pencils: 12

Mascara: 3

Eyeshadow primers: 2

Eyeliner: 6 gels, 2 liquids, all opened -- I'm obsessive about gel liner. 

highlighter powders: 5, 1 cream

Bronzer: 7 --- I am NOT a bronzer girl! How did I end up with 7?!?!?!

Perfumes: 

• Full bottles: 6
  • Samples: 5
  • Roller ball: 3
  • Deluxe: 2 

Nail polish bottles: 83

Top coats: 2

----------------

total items: 381 

This is not counting lotions which I refuse to even attempt to count - considering how many I have and lotions take a LOT longer to use up than some of these items. Scary. 

169 eyeshadows. 169!?! i thought i had 120 tops... ugh. :c and here I was hoping as soon as I finished a few I could go buy myself a palette. NOPE! Not anymore! 

Oh I didnt add my perfume....this is where I really need to cut back. I have this weird obsession with designer perfumes and their bottles so I will seriously buy a perfume because of the bottle. Sometimes I happen to like the smell which is a plus.

I have:

• 32 Full size
  • 17 Travel size
  • 3 roll ons
  • 5 samples

Quote: Originally Posted by MIKAGlam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh I didnt add my perfume....this is where I really need to cut back. I have this weird obsession with designer perfumes and their bottles so I will seriously buy a perfume because of the bottle. Sometimes I happen to like the smell which is a plus.

I have:

• 32 Full size
  • 17 Travel size
  • 3 roll ons
  • 5 samples
whoa massive amounts. I go through perfume so slowly.... I am hoping to finish all of mine so I can move on and buy a full bottle of Chloe by Chloe by the end of 2014. but it means ALL my perfumes need to be used up or go first.

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  whoa massive amounts. I go through perfume so slowly.... I am hoping to finish all of mine so I can move on and buy a full bottle of Chloe by Chloe by the end of 2014. but it means ALL my perfumes need to be used up or go first.
There is no way I will ever finish any of these. I'm halfway through Bright Crystal by Versace, Love Fury Kiss by Nine West and Princess by Vera Wang. The others I use but I switch it up so often that you can't even tell I use them. I'm getting to the point where I use it as air freshener for my closet so my clothes smell even better. I do get sad when I think that the life span is only 2 years. I had a Miss Dior Cherie change smell because it was old and it makes me quite sad because it was my favorite. So I think this year I won't buy any perfume.

Makeup Inventory

Eyes

1. Urban Decay Naked Basics

2. Urban Decay Midnight Cowgirl

3. NYX Nude Matte in Leather and Lace (hit pan already)

4. Ulta E/s in Silk

5. 2 x ELF Eyelid Primer (Holy grail item)

6. 2 x Covergirl Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner in Black

7. NYX Eyebrow Shaper (brow wax pencil)

8. L’oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara (Holy grail item)

9. Cargo Jet Lag Concealer

Face

1. Bare Minerals Original Foundation

2. Cargo Blu Ray Pressed Foundation

3. NYX Matte Bronzer (Holy grail item)

4. 2 x Rimmel Stay Matte Powder (one is a backup)

5. Cargo Blush in Los Cabos

Lips

1. Stila Portrait of a Perfect pout in Neutral (1 of 6 have hit pan)

2. 2 x Dior Lip Maximizer (2 different shades)

3. Mac L/g in Summer Sweetheart

4. Mac L/s in Oh Oh Oh

Brushes

-Only what I really need

Etc.

1. Individual lash clusters and glue.

I am also working on replacing my high end makeup with drugstore dupes. Additionally, I want to cut down on the time it takes for my makeup routine.

Quote: Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Makeup Inventory

Eyes

4. Ulta E/s in Silk

Face

Lips

4. Mac L/s in Oh Oh Oh

Brushes

-Only what I really need

Etc.

I am also working on replacing my high end makeup with drugstore dupes. Additionally, I want to cut down on the time it takes for my makeup routine.
This looks like the perfect makeup collection for me! Only what you need, no excess. But it's so hard when you've got bad habits. Why are you trying to replace high end products with drugstore dupes? Only to save money? For myself I am trying to find a balance between higher end and budget products.

I like to buy powder products at a higher price because the quality is usually better for eyeshadows and blushes, and you can actually check if it's cruelty free. Products that I repurchase often (eyeliner, mascara, concealer, face powder, bb cream) and cream products I try to buy drugstore.

Let's see... super quick rough tally. I think I will post again some time when I have an actual count

Palettes: 3 elf, 4 high end (UD N2/3, Lorac PRO, Glinda)

Foundation: 2 (1 high end, one drugstore)

Mascara: including 2 deluxe samples, probably 12?

Eye primers: high end DS= 8 (that includes the blister packs from N3) drugstore: 1

Color tattoos: 5

Non palette eyeshadows: no idea. too many for one person

Liquid eyeliner: 7 or 8

Makeup Inventory

Eyes

4. Ulta E/s in Silk

Face

Lips

4. Mac L/s in Oh Oh Oh

Brushes

-Only what I really need

Etc.

This sounds like a perfect stash to me!

Makeup Inventory

Eyes

4. Ulta E/s in Silk

Face

Lips

4. Mac L/s in Oh Oh Oh

Brushes

-Only what I really need

Etc.

I'll agree with others, this looks like a perfect collection to me! small but full of some lovely items. 

I recently purged and re-organized my stash, so perfect time to take inventory. I think my list will make a lot of you feel better about your self control. :) Nail polish and eye makeup are my biggest obsessions. This is my personal stash - I also have stuff in a buy/trade box that I did not include in the count. This list is a mix of high end, drugstore and indy products.

Nail polish - 54

Makeup:

Face

Primer - 6

BB cream - 1

Foundation - 5

Concealer - 2

Illuminators - 5

Face powder - 5

Blush - 4

Bronzer - 1

Setting spray - 4

Lipstick - 36

Lip Gloss - 24

Eyes

Brows - 3

Eye primer - 4

Base - 8

Pencil eyeliners - 29

Gel eyeliners - 4

Liquid eyeliner - 9

Mascara - 5

Eyeshadow

Loose - 59

Single pressed - 27

Duos - 5 (10 shades)

Quads - 17 (68 shades)

Eyeshadow Palettes

3 six shade palettes (18 shades)

1 eight shade palette (8 shades)

1 nine shade palette (9 shades)

2 twelve shade palettes(24 shades)

1 eighteen shade palette (18 shades)

2 twenty shade palettes (40 shades)

1 88 shade palette (88 shades)

1 120 shade palette (120 shades)

OMG... that's 507 shades of eyeshadow alone.

I definitely need to go on a no-buy.

Wauw!

If I compare my collection to yours it doesn't seem as big, but for me I think I have quite a lot of stuff. I surely have over 50 bottles of nail polish and I really have to throw some away!

I haven't got around to counting all of my makeup yet, but I'm hoping I'll find time to do it soon!

Quote: Originally Posted by MissKris17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I recently purged and re-organized my stash, so perfect time to take inventory. I think my list will make a lot of you feel better about your self control. :) Nail polish and eye makeup are my biggest obsessions. This is my personal stash - I also have stuff in a buy/trade box that I did not include in the count. This list is a mix of high end, drugstore and indy products.

Nail polish - 54

Makeup:

Face

Primer - 6

BB cream - 1

Foundation - 5

Concealer - 2

Illuminators - 5

Face powder - 5

Blush - 4

Bronzer - 1

Setting spray - 4

Lipstick - 36

Lip Gloss - 24

Eyes

Brows - 3

Eye primer - 4

Base - 8

Pencil eyeliners - 29

Gel eyeliners - 4

Liquid eyeliner - 9

Mascara - 5

Eyeshadow

Loose - 59

Single pressed - 27

Duos - 5 (10 shades)

Quads - 17 (68 shades)

Eyeshadow Palettes

3 six shade palettes (18 shades)

1 eight shade palette (8 shades)

1 nine shade palette (9 shades)

2 twelve shade palettes(24 shades)

1 eighteen shade palette (18 shades)

2 twenty shade palettes (40 shades)

1 88 shade palette (88 shades)

1 120 shade palette (120 shades)

OMG... that's 507 shades of eyeshadow alone.

I definitely need to go on a no-buy.
i looooooove nail polish. though honestly, I am nowhere near creative with it -- just slap it on straight out of the bottle, no combinations, no nail art. Perhaps I should start trying out some of that.

And wow that's a lot of shadows. What palette has 120?!? that's a lot. 507 might take a while to hit pan on... lol. I wanted to buy some pretty spendy high-end eyeshadow palettes but looking at the number of shadows I'd have to use up before allowing myself to buy them, basically killed any desire I had to go get them at sephora or nordstrom. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Hannelore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Wauw!

If I compare my collection to yours it doesn't seem as big, but for me I think I have quite a lot of stuff. I surely have over 50 bottles of nail polish and I really have to throw some away!

I haven't got around to counting all of my makeup yet, but I'm hoping I'll find time to do it soon!
Welcome! keeping track of what we have makes it a lot easier to put no buys or low buys into perspective. Also helpful in reminding of what we DO have. I've found so many dupes for things in what I have that I don't feel the need to go buy anything right about now.

i looooooove nail polish. though honestly, I am nowhere near creative with it -- just slap it on straight out of the bottle, no combinations, no nail art. Perhaps I should start trying out some of that.

And wow that's a lot of shadows. What palette has 120?!? that's a lot. 507 might take a while to hit pan on... lol. I wanted to buy some pretty spendy high-end eyeshadow palettes but looking at the number of shadows I'd have to use up before allowing myself to buy them, basically killed any desire I had to go get them at sephora or nordstrom.
Costal Scents Palette number 3 has 120 shades.

Some of my eyeshadow quads are pretty old. I used to wear Lancôme foundation and I'd buy it whenever there was a GWP, so that's how I got a lot of the eyeshadow quads. But, I've just been on this spending spree lately with eyeshadow. All of the loose shadows (Fyrinnae and Darling Girl) were purchased in the last two years and several palettes (UD N3, Vice 2, and two Costal Scents palettes) were purchased in the last few months.

There is no reason to have this many eyeshadows and I'm sure I have a ton of dupes. There are a bunch of colors I've never even used. I just see all the pretty colors and feel like I have to have them.

I'm not real creative with nail polish either. I like unusual colors and duochromes, that way you really don't need to be too creative. Sometimes I'll layer a glitter polish over another color. 

What is hitting pan?  lol

Actually, I've only had that happen once! There is one eyeshadow color that I used up completely and had to buy another of it. It's Click by Lancôme. For years I only wore that on my lids. Then all of a sudden I started really getting into different colors. I haven't hit pan since.

Costal Scents Palette number 3 has 120 shades.

Some of my eyeshadow quads are pretty old. I used to wear Lancôme foundation and I'd buy it whenever there was a GWP, so that's how I got a lot of the eyeshadow quads. But, I've just been on this spending spree lately with eyeshadow. All of the loose shadows (Fyrinnae and Darling Girl) were purchased in the last two years and several palettes (UD N3, Vice 2, and two Costal Scents palettes) were purchased in the last few months.

There is no reason to have this many eyeshadows and I'm sure I have a ton of dupes. There are a bunch of colors I've never even used. I just see all the pretty colors and feel like I have to have them.

I'm not real creative with nail polish either. I like unusual colors and duochromes, that way you really don't need to be too creative. Sometimes I'll layer a glitter polish over another color. 
I think I have one duochrome nail polish. lol. I follow the nailasaurus blog and she does some amazing things with her nails! but I think she's into the nail stamping things -- I had a friend do it on mine once and LOVED it, but never bought any of those kits myself. I might save up and get one sometime in summer so I get more use out of my nail polish by using pretty patterns and such.

What is hitting pan?  lol

Actually, I've only had that happen once! There is one eyeshadow color that I used up completely and had to buy another of it. It's Click by Lancôme. For years I only wore that on my lids. Then all of a sudden I started really getting into different colors. I haven't hit pan since.

I think the only eyeshadow I ever hit pan on was a rose gold-ish color from mary kay back in high school/early college years. Then I discovered mac via a classmate, and that led me to youtube to learn how to use these things, then I discovered urban decay's gorgeous colors, then inglot, and I haven't hit pan since -- all my eyeshadows are mostly inglot and UD, with like 10 mac eyeshadows thrown in.... but I LOVE UD's and Inglot's buttery consistency, yet they take forever to use up. i'll be wearing eyeshadow for life before I finish some of these. 

I think I have one duochrome nail polish. lol. I follow the nailasaurus blog and she does some amazing things with her nails! but I think she's into the nail stamping things -- I had a friend do it on mine once and LOVED it, but never bought any of those kits myself. I might save up and get one sometime in summer so I get more use out of my nail polish by using pretty patterns and such.

I think the only eyeshadow I ever hit pan on was a rose gold-ish color from mary kay back in high school/early college years. Then I discovered mac via a classmate, and that led me to youtube to learn how to use these things, then I discovered urban decay's gorgeous colors, then inglot, and I haven't hit pan since -- all my eyeshadows are mostly inglot and UD, with like 10 mac eyeshadows thrown in.... but I LOVE UD's and Inglot's buttery consistency, yet they take forever to use up. i'll be wearing eyeshadow for life before I finish some of these.
Oh!! Iglot! I've been stalking that website recently. But I need to stop and start shopping within my own collection.

I don't know much about stamping, but I have a Shany stamp kit that I got in a trade box. It's unused, a bunch of plates. I don't know how good it is but, PM me if you want it. It would only cost me a couple bucks to send it (assuming you're in the US)

Oh!! Iglot! I've been stalking that website recently. But I need to stop and start shopping within my own collection.

I don't know much about stamping, but I have a Shany stamp kit that I got in a trade box. It's unused, a bunch of plates. I don't know how good it is but, PM me if you want it. It would only cost me a couple bucks to send it (assuming you're in the US)
I definitely recommend inglot. I think if you are ever looking at expanding outside of your collection (after using some up, of course!), Inglot is the perfect place. The shadows are sooooooo gorgeously pigmented and buttery, and for their price I don't think they can be beat. Their shadows make up a huge chunk of my e/s stash -- I think about 80 of the colors I have are inglot pans. I doubt I'll ever get through all of them lol so much product, but they're a good investment IMO. Though I have heard that because they are so soft and buttery, that they are easier to hit pan on than say...Mac. Mac's shadows have that tightly packed consistency, though I find that because mac's shadows are less pigmented, I have to swipe more to get enough color -- whereas inglot only takes one swipe of my brush. 

...I swear, they should hire me. I sound like a walking advertisement. but I love those sooooo much! 

PM'ing you!

I definitely recommend inglot. I think if you are ever looking at expanding outside of your collection (after using some up, of course!), Inglot is the perfect place. The shadows are sooooooo gorgeously pigmented and buttery, and for their price I don't think they can be beat. Their shadows make up a huge chunk of my e/s stash -- I think about 80 of the colors I have are inglot pans. I doubt I'll ever get through all of them lol so much product, but they're a good investment IMO. Though I have heard that because they are so soft and buttery, that they are easier to hit pan on than say...Mac. Mac's shadows have that tightly packed consistency, though I find that because mac's shadows are less pigmented, I have to swipe more to get enough color -- whereas inglot only takes one swipe of my brush.

...I swear, they should hire me. I sound like a walking advertisement. but I love those sooooo much!

PM'ing you!
Just PMed you back :)

I've heard really good things about Inglot quality, and yes the price is great. I love the idea of building my own palette. They sell Inglot at the Macy's down the hill from me, but I haven't gone to swatch anything. I just know if I do I'll end up coming home with more eyeshadow.

Nope.... sticking to what I have.... for now. (Maybe if I do a no buy for six months, I can treat myself? Is that counterproductive?)

Back