Taking inventory

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by MissKris17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Just PMed you back :)

I've heard really good things about Inglot quality, and yes the price is great. I love the idea of building my own palette. They sell Inglot at the Macy's down the hill from me, but I haven't gone to swatch anything. I just know if I do I'll end up coming home with more eyeshadow.

Nope.... sticking to what I have.... for now. (Maybe if I do a no buy for six months, I can treat myself? Is that counterproductive?)
 I don't think it's counter productive so long as you get some stuff out that you don't use or like, and use up some of the items you have before getting new shadows... for me, i have to use at least double of the amount of things I want to buy ...so to get 1 eyeshadow, I need to use up 2...and so on. that way I also start reducing stuff at home.

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
   I don't think it's counter productive so long as you get some stuff out that you don't use or like, and use up some of the items you have before getting new shadows... for me, i have to use at least double of the amount of things I want to buy ...so to get 1 eyeshadow, I need to use up 2...and so on. that way I also start reducing stuff at home.
That's a smart strategy. I'm just so far from hitting pan on anything, but I'll work on it.

That's a smart strategy. I'm just so far from hitting pan on anything, but I'll work on it.
We can do it! 

I found an article on makeup-box that tries to determine how many uses it takes to finish one eyeshadow.

She says that it would take approximately 180 (generous) applications, or 6 months of use to finish your average 1.5 gram eyeshadow.

Assuming it would take 6 months to finish one eyeshadow, and I use 3 every day. That would mean that it would take me a whopping 46 years to finish up all my 276 eyeshadows.

46 years of wearing at least 3 eyeshadows every single day.

I better get cracking.

I found an article on makeup-box that tries to determine how many uses it takes to finish one eyeshadow. She says that it would take approximately 180 (generous) applications, or 6 months of use to finish your average 1.5 gram eyeshadow. Assuming it would take 6 months to finish one eyeshadow, and I use 3 every day. That would mean that it would take me a whopping 46 years to finish up all my 276 eyeshadows. 46 years of wearing at least 3 eyeshadows every single day. I better get cracking.
Haha... I should completely redo my eye makeup every hour. Maybe then I'll finish in my lifetime.

Quote: Originally Posted by Misame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I found an article on makeup-box that tries to determine how many uses it takes to finish one eyeshadow.

She says that it would take approximately 180 (generous) applications, or 6 months of use to finish your average 1.5 gram eyeshadow.

Assuming it would take 6 months to finish one eyeshadow, and I use 3 every day. That would mean that it would take me a whopping 46 years to finish up all my 276 eyeshadows.

46 years of wearing at least 3 eyeshadows every single day.

I better get cracking.

Haha... I should completely redo my eye makeup every hour. Maybe then I'll finish in my lifetime.

omg.. D:

It would take me 28.2 years to finish all of mine.

we all better get cracking! 

or maybe i'll just turn a blind eye to that fact and start using my eyeshadows to decorate my apartment walls LOL.

This looks like the perfect makeup collection for me! Only what you need, no excess. But it's so hard when you've got bad habits. Why are you trying to replace high end products with drugstore dupes? Only to save money? For myself I am trying to find a balance between higher end and budget products.

I like to buy powder products at a higher price because the quality is usually better for eyeshadows and blushes, and you can actually check if it's cruelty free. Products that I repurchase often (eyeliner, mascara, concealer, face powder, bb cream) and cream products I try to buy drugstore.
Thanks everyone for calling it the perfect collection. I have worked hard to whittle it down. I want to switch to lower cost products so that I can save money for a master's degree as well as pay off over $40 k in debt from a car and student loans. Additionally, I want to save $50k for a down payment on a home. Plus I am currently unemployed with only 6 months worth of income saved. If I do not find work in 4 months I plan on taking a travel job which is where I will work out of state for about 3 months. With a small makeup collection I will not have to worry about taking up too much room when I pack.

I found an article on makeup-box that tries to determine how many uses it takes to finish one eyeshadow. She says that it would take approximately 180 (generous) applications, or 6 months of use to finish your average 1.5 gram eyeshadow. Assuming it would take 6 months to finish one eyeshadow, and I use 3 every day. That would mean that it would take me a whopping 46 years to finish up all my 276 eyeshadows. 46 years of wearing at least 3 eyeshadows every single day. I better get cracking.
o_O 26 years needed for me to finish my eyeshadow O:)

Okay, so I don't want to spend the next 46 years working through my eyeshadow collection so I am going to swatch all the colors in the same color family and decide on which ones I am going to keep. But since most of my eyeshadows are in palettes, I wonder: do I depot the ones I want to keep into my custom palette? or do I leave the palettes whole and sell or keep them?

I am not sure if I am even able to part with many shadows, but I think it's worth a try. everything I have is such a lovely quality, but I don't need all of it.

Okay, so I don't want to spend the next 46 years working through my eyeshadow collection so I am going to swatch all the colors in the same color family and decide on which ones I am going to keep. But since most of my eyeshadows are in palettes, I wonder: do I depot the ones I want to keep into my custom palette? or do I leave the palettes whole and sell or keep them?

I am not sure if I am even able to part with many shadows, but I think it's worth a try. everything I have is such a lovely quality, but I don't need all of it.
I would depot. I think palettes aren't really all that useful unless they're customizable or compact. Plus if there's only a few shades per palette that you like, it's easier to keep them all in one customized palette -- easier to see and use up! If you're attached to the palettes, though, I say keep them and try to use them up - then get rid of any singles you may have that are dupes for the items in the palette (with room for reason regarding quality, of course).

One thing though, while I have a lot of eyeshadows and refuse to buy any more, I don't particularly feel BAD about having them -- eyeshadows can potentially be kept for over a decade without any change in formulation of quality....so long as you know you will use them up and consistently, I say keep them if you don't want to let them go. Or, if it makes you feel better, gift the ones you can live without to friends and family. 

I would depot. I think palettes aren't really all that useful unless they're customizable or compact. Plus if there's only a few shades per palette that you like, it's easier to keep them all in one customized palette -- easier to see and use up! If you're attached to the palettes, though, I say keep them and try to use them up - then get rid of any singles you may have that are dupes for the items in the palette (with room for reason regarding quality, of course).

One thing though, while I have a lot of eyeshadows and refuse to buy any more, I don't particularly feel BAD about having them -- eyeshadows can potentially be kept for over a decade without any change in formulation of quality....so long as you know you will use them up and consistently, I say keep them if you don't want to let them go. Or, if it makes you feel better, gift the ones you can live without to friends and family. 
thank you for your reply.

I do feel bad for owning so many shadows, mostly because I feel I need to use all of them and that makes me anxious. I actually am quite attached to the nicer package palettes, like my four too faced ones, a the balm one and a urban decay palette. So I am going to leave those alone, also because I go to my parents house every weekend (I have two horses there) and I like to bring makeup with me, and I don't think my custom palette is very compact for travel(I diy'd it).

But I am going to depot a sleek matte brights palette, there are some misses in there that I can get rid off that way. I also have an elf 100 palette. I am going to use that for a while so I can tell which shades I like, and which I don't, and then I'll probably only depot the ones I like.

Just now have a few depotted singles I am looking to get rid off, but I don't know who would want them, unfortunately non of my family is even remotely into makeup.

I also got a palette thats ready to leave the house.

I repurposed my pigments for diy- nailpolish and I have 7 cream shadows that are drying out, so I am going to use those up as much as I can and then toss them.

For now I brought my eyeshadow count down to 241

Okay, so I don't want to spend the next 46 years working through my eyeshadow collection so I am going to swatch all the colors in the same color family and decide on which ones I am going to keep. But since most of my eyeshadows are in palettes, I wonder: do I depot the ones I want to keep into my custom palette? or do I leave the palettes whole and sell or keep them? I am not sure if I am even able to part with many shadows, but I think it's worth a try. everything I have is such a lovely quality, but I don't need all of it.
Since u have so many shadows & are having trouble parting with anything, why not try this...get a shoe box & fill it with the palettes & shadows you rarely use. If you have dupes or very similar colors only keep one. Palettes that have pretty packaging but you don't use put in the box. Put the box on a shelf in a closet for a couple of months. Anything you haven't missed in those months should be purged. This might help you if you are freaking out about parting with anything right now. For the time being it will be gone but in your mind you'll know not permanently...yet.

Since one of my resolutions was to organize my stash, I went through and made a spreadsheet of everything I have...which is a little shocking! I clearly need to work through some items before I buy anything else. Face: Foundation: 7 powder/liquid Face primers: 12 (these are all samples though, so I should finish them pretty quickly) Concealers: 2 Blushes: 5 (only 2 full size) Highlighters: 4 Bronzer/contour: 5 Eyes: Brow pencils/powder: 5 Eye primer: 5 Eyeshadow: 192 ! Mascara: 7 Eyeliners: 20 Color corrector: 1 Lips: Lip liner: 5 Lip gloss/balms: 8 Lipstick: 23 I had no idea I had this much! At least half of this is deluxe samples or GWPs, but still...more than enough to last a while. And 192 eyeshadows will take me forever to use!

Quote: Originally Posted by QueCera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eyes:
Brow pencils/powder: 5
Eye primer: 5
Eyeshadow: 192 !
Mascara: 7
Eyeliners: 20
Color corrector: 1

I had no idea I had this much! At least half of this is deluxe samples or GWPs, but still...more than enough to last a while. And 192 eyeshadows will take me forever to use!

It really doesn't look like that much right! I followed up azalea97 advice and I put a few eyeshadow pots and palettes away in my closet, and I am going to pretend they aren't there. If after a few months I still haven't got put them back in my collection, then clearly I didn't miss them and they can go. If that were to succeed, then my eyeshadow count would go below the 100 eyeshadows total. Which would be amazing.

I just went through my entire collection and got rid of either old stuff or stuff I know I am not going to use. So my count it down a lot. But I still feel so overwhelmed by all of it which is ironic. I wanted this big collection of makeup and now it's too much! lol I am still struggling with my no-buy though. It makes no sense. I want to get rid if stuff yet I want to buy more? It's crazy!

Quote:Originally Posted by Misame /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It really doesn't look like that much right! I followed up azalea97 advice and I put a few eyeshadow pots and palettes away in my closet, and I am going to pretend they aren't there. If after a few months I still haven't got put them back in my collection, then clearly I didn't miss them and they can go. If that were to succeed, then my eyeshadow count would go below the 100 eyeshadows total. Which would be amazing.

That may not be a bad idea. I think I'll try the Monday Club to try and get through stuff first, but this can be a backup plan!

Quote:Originally Posted by MIKAGlam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just went through my entire collection and got rid of either old stuff or stuff I know I am not going to use. So my count it down a lot. But I still feel so overwhelmed by all of it which is ironic. I wanted this big collection of makeup and now it's too much! lol I am still struggling with my no-buy though. It makes no sense. I want to get rid if stuff yet I want to buy more? It's crazy!

I feel the same way, lol. I have so much, but I want more!

Quote: Originally Posted by QueCera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by MIKAGlam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel the same way, lol. I have so much, but I want more!
Perhaps you ladies need to try the Monday club and rotate through all of them see which ones you truly enjoy using, and which you don't. I have a ton of eyeshadows and there's a lot I probably will gift away because, honestly, as much as I love bright colors on other people, I rarely wear them...

Perhaps you ladies need to try the Monday club and rotate through all of them see which ones you truly enjoy using, and which you don't. I have a ton of eyeshadows and there's a lot I probably will gift away because, honestly, as much as I love bright colors on other people, I rarely wear them...
I have been doing that for the past two months or so and it has been really helping. That's what helped me get rid of a few things.

So I took a quick inventory:

Lip colors: 18

Eye shadow palettes: 4 small (as in 2 - 5 eye shadows) and 2 large (as in a hella lot more than 5)

Individual eye shadows: 5 

Mascara: 4

Eyeliner (Liquid & pencil): 10

Obviously, this isn't everything I have. But for most of my other products, I only have one or two a piece. Before counting through all this, I felt like it was eye shadow that I have to go through, but it seems lip colors are my kryptonite. (Not surprising, considering that lipstick is my favorite product.)

But I'm actually really pleased with my inventory now. I've been working on cutting out the chaff in my collection before purchasing some nice, real quality cosmetics. 

Today, I threw out a whole slew of lip glosses. I don't ever wear lip glosses and these things had been sitting in a box in my drawer since my freshmen year of high school! I also threw out an old palette; it wasn't completely used up (a few shades had hit the pan, but most were still good). Still, after the few years I've had it, the eye shadows seemed to be getting grainy and the palette itself was broken. I liked the colors, but I just don't use them. I was keeping that palette around just because I felt like I couldn't throw it out because there was still so much shadow to use. Having gotten rid of it, I can safely say good riddance! 

Back