The best mascaras...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is your favorite

1. drugstore

2. department store

mascara?

And for the department store mascara, is it really *that* great that it justifies the price?

1. drugstore: Za Waterproof

2. department store: YSL Faux Cils

And for the department store mascara, is it really *that* great that it justifies the price?: absolutely.

1. L'Oreal Voluminous or Double Extend

2. Lancome Definicils probably

As far as the price department store price...ehh... probably not since I do like Voluminous so much. I liked diorshow as well, but it irritated my eyes. Yay, $23 down the tube - literally!
icon_lol.gif

These department store mascaras are just OK in my book: Prescriptives False Eyelashes, Chanel Drama Lash, any Clinique mascaras (even the so-called 'high definition...riiiiight, lol) and certainly don't justify the price.

Drugstore: Rimmel Extra Super Lash -it was MAybelline Full N Soft but i think that's discontinued in Ireland now
frown.gif

Department Store: YSL Volume Effet Faux Cils.. i LOVE THIS SO MUCH!

I don't have a fave department store mascara, but I do love Cover Girl's Super Thick Lash from the drugstore.

I've tried a few Clinique GWP mascaras, and there were yucky
frown.gif
I haven't tried any other department store mascaras, though I'm tempted to. However, since I love the STL so much, I think I'd rather save my money for other makeup!

What is your favorite

1. drugstore - don't have one yet

2. department store- Dior Ultimeyes

mascara?

And for the department store mascara, is it really *that* great that it justifies the price? yes justifies the price. My other favorite is MAC though which is half of the price and comes close

Drugstore -- Maybelline's Waterproof Lash Extension mascara. I like it because it's a lengthening mascara and thickening mascaras tend to just clump up on my lashes, and this mascara stays put where others (even other waterproof ones) I've tried tend to flake or rub off.

Department store -- I'm too cheap to try any!
smile.gif

I haven't ever tried any department store mascara yet, so I can't completely answer this question. Some drugstore mascaras I haven't had really good luck with. But some drugstore mascaras like Almay are really good and completely worth it.

Drug store: L'Oreal Panoramic curl

Department Store: Lancome Definicils

But I like the L'Oreal best!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 But I like the L'Oreal best!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
That's great Janelle that you prefer the drugstore mascara so you've to pay less! Of course i have to love the expensive one!
icon_evil.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

the only drugstore mascara ill touch is loreal voluminous. im not a product snob, but mascara is one area where the difference is amazing. my fave high end mascaras are estee lauder pure velvet and clinique naturally glossy.

the two worst mascaras ive ever tried are maybelline great lash and rimmel (the one with the comb.)

Originally Posted by laura127 That's great Janelle that you prefer the drugstore mascara so you've to pay less! Of course i have to love the expensive one!
icon_evil.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Yeah - luckily it turns out that way! LOL I have long eyelashes, but they're not very full - kinda skinny and puny looking... but the L'Oreal seems to help a lot! it also kinda separates them so they don't look clumpy. It makes your lashes kind of "fan" out... it makes you have those 'doe eyes'...

For those girls that like department store mascaras, why do you think they're worth the price? While I have tried some drugstore mascaras that are clumpy or flake off, I love my current Maybelline mascara -- it lasts all day and never flakes or gets too clumpy. I'm just curious what makes (some) department store mascaras so great!

Of course the Almay mascaras I've tried tend to flake off on me, even though FairyRave likes Almay, so maybe mascaras work differently on different people's lashes (or we just haven't tried the same kind!)

ive never had a problem with flaking or smudging with any mascara, but all the drugstore mascaras except for loreal voluminous get clumpy on me. i refuse to comb my lashes, and i dont think i should have to with a decent mascara.

the wands of drugstore mascaras tend to have similar wands with bristles that are very compact and set in rings down the length. high end mascaras tend to have sparse bristles that are set randomly on the wand. i feel that these give a superior application.

you know how drug store shadows have less pigment and a poor texture for the most part, while high end shadows are silky and have more pigment? i feel that the same is true for high end mascaras. the formula is just somehow better, and not as thick and waxy. my loreal voluminous dries out before three months is up, and i could keep my high end mascaras practically forever before they dried up, if i wanted to.

I agree with you regarding the combing. I don't like to comb my lashes so I use mascaras that I don't have to do that with.

I agree with all of Halo's post.

Although, I honestly can't remember the last drugstore mascara I used. I think I used to use Cover Girl.

I have just discovered Dior Maximeyes, and am in LOVE!!! A definite HG for me now.

I absolutely hate having to use a lashcomb; and I don't have to do that woth Maximeyes. It also thickens my lashes w/o drying them out, flaking, or smudging.

Originally Posted by haloinrverse ive never had a problem with flaking or smudging with any mascara, but all the drugstore mascaras except for loreal voluminous get clumpy on me. i refuse to comb my lashes, and i dont think i should have to with a decent mascara.
the wands of drugstore mascaras tend to have similar wands with bristles that are very compact and set in rings down the length. high end mascaras tend to have sparse bristles that are set randomly on the wand. i feel that these give a superior application.

you know how drug store shadows have less pigment and a poor texture for the most part, while high end shadows are silky and have more pigment? i feel that the same is true for high end mascaras. the formula is just somehow better, and not as thick and waxy. my loreal voluminous dries out before three months is up, and i could keep my high end mascaras practically forever before they dried up, if i wanted to.

How's MAC Zoom? I haven't tried it. My favorite MAC mascara so far is Prolash.

i like fibre rich lash by mac. makes my lashes look really nice, but it's not clumpy.

I like Prescriptives mascaras. They have three formulas: lash curling, false eyelashes, and beyond long. Beyond long is their newest one that I haven't tried yet. I liked both the lash curling and the false eyelashes formulas. I think the lash curling was my favorite, mainly because my lashes need more "body" than length. The false eyelashes formula is basically volumizing.

I also like Clinique High Impact mascara. That is what I am currently using. The people on this site have been raving about MAC Fibre Rich, so I might try that next. I have a feeling I'll end up with Prescriptives in the end though.

I stick to my true blue Loreal Volumnous..never lets me down. I would love to try Mac Fibre lash, have heard great things about it!

Latest posts

Back