The Village - M. Night Shyamalan

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is anyone else extremely eager to see "The Village?" I've loved all of M. Night Shyamalan's other films, though The Sixth Sense had the most "whoa," to it. I've enjoyed "Unbreakable" and "Signs" after seeing them more than once, and found their endings quite excellent as well. They may not have been as "impacting" as "The Sixth Sense," but when you stop and think about what's happened in those other films, you get a more subtle sense of "whoa." In any case, I've got my suspicions about "The Village," and what I think is happening in the film. My husband and I are looking forward to its release this coming Friday (July 30). We plan on seeing opening weekend!

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Is anyone else extremely eager to see "The Village?" I've loved all of M. Night Shyamalan's other films, though The Sixth Sense had the most "whoa," to it. I've enjoyed "Unbreakable" and "Signs" after seeing them more than once, and found their endings quite excellent as well. They may not have been as "impacting" as "The Sixth Sense," but when you stop and think about what's happened in those other films, you get a more subtle sense of "whoa." In any case, I've got my suspicions about "The Village," and what I think is happening in the film. My husband and I are looking forward to its release this coming Friday (July 30). We plan on seeing opening weekend!

I wouldn't mind seeing it either, but only if it is scary and not hokey. Let us know what you think of it, k? My husband wants to see I Robot or whater that movie is called... I am not too interested in it though. I will go for the popcorn instead. haha.
mutbanner30.gif

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Is anyone else extremely eager to see "The Village?" I've loved all of M. Night Shyamalan's other films, though The Sixth Sense had the most "whoa," to it. I've enjoyed "Unbreakable" and "Signs" after seeing them more than once, and found their endings quite excellent as well. They may not have been as "impacting" as "The Sixth Sense," but when you stop and think about what's happened in those other films, you get a more subtle sense of "whoa." In any case, I've got my suspicions about "The Village," and what I think is happening in the film. My husband and I are looking forward to its release this coming Friday (July 30). We plan on seeing opening weekend!

Kage..I'm wanting to see it too..Was flipping channels yesterday and landed on ON THE AIR w/ Ryan Seacrest and they were interviewng Sigorney Weaver about the movie..Didn't realize one of the main characters(the Girl with Red hair) Is Ron Howards daughter..Just a little nonsensical factoid
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Californian I wouldn't mind seeing it either, but only if it is scary and not hokey. Let us know what you think of it, k?
mutbanner30.gif

Same here. The previews have got me interested but I'm going to wait till someone else sees it first to tell me what it's like. I think I'll talk my sister into seeing it since she knows the kind of movies I do and don't like; she'll be the one most able to tell me if I should see it or not. Well, her or my mom.
And IrishGirl; you HAVE to see Signs! It is SO good! And hey, if for no other reason watch it cause Mel Gibson is so darned sexy!
tongue.gif

That's funny - I've never even considered anything with M. Night Shyamalan's name on it to be hokey. Maybe not terrifyingly scary, but he's like the next Hitchcock, or even Kubrick (though not as freaky). I think he's an excellent writer/director, and have enjoyed all of his films. They've made me think - which is pretty rare in films today.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Californian I wouldn't mind seeing it either, but only if it is scary and not hokey. Let us know what you think of it, k? My husband wants to see I Robot or whater that movie is called... I am not too interested in it though. I will go for the popcorn instead. haha.

See...I never thought of a need to be "spooked" by his films. To me, he's a great filmmaker, working his way up to ranks, the way Steven Spielberg and George Lucas did. I didn't think that "The Sixth Sense" was spooky so much as cathartic, and even genius. That hadn't been done before, and it was fantastic!

All of his movies have some sort of "wow" impact when you see them. When I said "whoa," about "The Sixth Sense," I didn't mean "screaming 'whoa!'" I meant as in "wow - that's not been done before." I had a feeling of catharsis after seeing his films. I needed to see "Unbreakable" a second time in order to appreciate it, because I saw it soon after "The Sixth Sense," and it didn't seem as "whoa" to me, but when I did see it again, it all clicked and made sense. I saw "Signs" again just recently, and got more out of it this time. I've learned not to expect "The Sixth Sense" each time I see his films, but instead, to appreciate the art that is M./ Night Shyamalan.
smile.gif

I don't do gory horror films, and won't even watch "The Ring" or the "Final Destination" films. I had a very close friend who was murdered several years ago, so I have no desire to watch those kind of horror movies. I prefer psychological thrillers, and probably the furthest out into "horror" that I'd venture would be Stephen King, because it's not too gory, but well-written.

Originally Posted by Irishgirl I must be numb or something because when that kid from the Sixth Sense said, "I see dead people," I just wasn't feeling spooked..lol! What really had me on the edge of my seat and spooked was, The Ring..Those images were freaky! I kind of also enjoyed Final Destination 1 & 2 for some oddball "I wanna be a teenager again" reason..lol! I have yet to see Signs and am wondering if it's worth it or not.

Originally Posted by Irishgirl Maybe I should try watching those movies again without thinking about Saturday Night Live skits or Jay Leno..lol! As far as The Ring and Final Destination, I found them to be good popcorn movies and didn't take them seriously. Although I found The Ring to be better than Final Destination in terms of keeping you guessing..Actually I didn't find The Ring's imagery any more offensive than some of Stephen King's movies..Sorry about your friend. :-( I don't know...The Ring just freaks me out, even though I know the entire plot. I just don't have any interest in seeing it. As for Stephen King, I don't care for all of his films (I prefer the books), but the few films I did enjoy were older ones, more psychological than images. Saturday Night Live and such skits - well, I could see that as ruining a good film. See, I'm more of an artsy person. I appreciate well-made films, not just any-old movie. I've taken classes in Film Studies, and that has helped me to understand and appreciate filmmaking. I'm not your average movie-watcher. I really appreciate the art involved.

Irishgirl/Kristina - I am so sorry if I sounded patronizing. I sure didn't mean to - but I am very sory if it came off that way.
smile.gif
When I said that I'm not the average movie-goer, I didn't mean that I was better than other movie-goers. I just meant that I see details that might drive someone else crazy. LOL!

I'm just a very literary person, and I see films as literature, in a way. I like to interpret films, as I would books. I majored in English, so I've taken classes in literary theory and learned to "read" films, if that makes sense. I enjoy movies for fun - just watched "Spiderman 2" and "Legally Blonde" (finally!) recently, in fact and I adore fun movies! (My favorites are definitely not all artsy - "Beaches," "Little Women," "A Knight's Tale," The Princess Bride," "The Goonies," "Up In Arms," among others (anything else with Danny Kaye - I love classics from many years ago as well).

I've just got a different regard for artsy films, and a different mindset as well. My husband isn't as into interpreting and discussing films, so I don't do it often, and more often than not, I watch fun movies with a light-hearted sense of humor. I just can't help looking deeper into films made by Hitchcock and Shyamalan. Don't worry - I'm not too cerebral about art and movies. I'm definitely a fun-loving gal! I just am so excited for this next piece from Shyamalan!!!

Originally Posted by Irishgirl I certainly understand Art as I am a creative person as well but have not studied Film in college..Nevertheless, I enjoy being the "average" moviegoer who enjoys a bucket of movie popcorn, B-movies, blockbusters, etc. while maintaining a lighthearted, sense of humor. I suppose I would be lost if I took a more clinical perspective..Have a great time at the movies!

Ohhhh Sixth Sense was WAYYY good!! Loved it! Also Signs was good too with the martian!@

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea

That's funny - I've never even considered anything with M. Night Shyamalan's name on it to be hokey. Maybe not terrifyingly scary, but he's like the next Hitchcock, or even Kubrick (though not as freaky). I think he's an excellent writer/director, and have enjoyed all of his films. They've made me think - which is pretty rare in films today.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Irishgirl LOL! No problem..Wasn't sure how you meant that really but I understand. ;-) I know what you are saying though about being analytical about some things since I have a tendency to do that with medical issues because of my schooling. Since I haven't seen Signs or heard about it, I think I may be able to watch it without thinking about the late night TV jokes..lol! Sometimes I like to watch really "stupid" movies like "Dodgeball" and just laugh. It's hard to analyze when your mouth is full of popcorn and milkduds and your other senses are overwhelmed with non academic delights! Hahahaah.
wink.gif

Cali

Most definitely! We watched "Legally Blonde" a few nights ago and I just giggled!!! Our fave "reality" show that we actually watch (the one and only at the moment) is "Last Comic Standing," and I think that's hilarious! We're looking forward to the "Blue Collar Comedy" show - we loved the DVD, and crack up that they're making it into a TV series. Granted - I prefer British humor and subtle wit, but I love the grin on my hubby's face when we watch the "redneck" comedians. He's so cute!

The scary thing is that I can actually find delight in the academic stuff, too. LOL. Sad, I know.
wink.gif
I enjoy literary things way too much.

Originally Posted by Californian Sometimes I like to watch really "stupid" movies like "Dodgeball" and just laugh. It's hard to analyze when your mouth is full of popcorn and milkduds and your other senses are overwhelmed with non academic delights! Hahahaah.
wink.gif

Cali

it was SO good! i havent seen the sixth sense, and signs was beyond stinkin terrible and cheesy. i love horror movies, and i have no problem with cheesiness in them, but the village wasnt cheesy or hokey at all. i wouldnt say i was scared, but it was incredibly suspenseful, and not what i expected. i didnt figure out the plot twist at all. there were some funny parts, and some parts where i was about to cry. the cinematography was excellent and spooky. for being billed as the lead character, joachin phoenix wasnt in the movie as much as i expected. and ooh, i love sigourney weaver!

Latest posts

Back