The waist is back!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't know about you guys but I'm a bit tired of the low riders, which by the way were not made for women with real curves. Some of us do got back!!

Thankfully...............

Belts are back this fall!!!

Here are ten ways to belt up for fall

* Have a wardrobe of ribbons at hand. Wear silk, satin or grosgrain around the waistband of velvet jeans, over a slightly fitted embroidered Chinese jacket, a little cashmere sweater or a favorite lace dress. A really broad heavy ribbon in good black velvet could even work over a fall coat or the broad waist of a taffeta ballet skirt. If you find the ribbon looks too droopy or gets squashed into a mean line, cheat a little and sew a false ironed flat bow to the front concealing a press stud underneath. That way you will feel more pulled together (and less special delivery).

* Invest in an evening belt that is almost a piece of jewelry. Valentino’s large crystal-studded rose on a silver link chain will look good in one year or 20 so you can justify the extravagance.

* Steal a man’s silk tie and wear it threaded through your jeans, thick stripes or faint polka dots have a whimsical sporty style. Splurge at a very stuffy old-school tie store such as Pink or simply raid your dad’s stash. Men always own one too many.

* Don’t limit yourself to high-fashion belts. I dug up some amazing cowry shell on a surfergirl Web site (www.wavejammer.com) and hand-beaded belts made in Bali at www.essentialsurf.com. A perfect look for the East/West fashions yet to come for late winter and spring, these belts look good on an oversized heavy cotton blouse or worn two at once on a jersey dress.

* For the gypsy adventuress, pair a Macramé belt with something sleek like an Italian linen jacket or white cashmere wrap dress.

* For a burst of color that doesn’t bisect your figure, find a snakeskin belt in a fierce shade like tangerine, fuchsia or emerald green. Belts need to be worn almost like bracelets; just a sliver of glamorous detail is enough to lift a black suit into the land of chic.

* Wear a belt in concert with deliberately mixed-up patterns and fabrics. A tweed skirt, a floral velvet jacket and a ribbon belt looped with hand embroidery have a cozy charm that evokes English teahouses and eccentric aunts.

* A heavily filigreed western belt with a silver buckle looks best against an Edwardian lace tea dress or blouse (remember Catherine Zeta Jones in Zorro) and a small black tailored waist coat. Antique lace clothing is less fashionable this season so the price is right; try vintage Web sites such as www.rubylane.com that have several vendors on one site.

* Prada brought back the masculine square buckled belt with the full ’50s-style skirt, but don’t swamp yourself with a broad belt and a long hemline. Keep the belt dainty (no wider than two inches) and the skirt to the knee. Remember that the buckle can be bigger than the band.

* Customize a plain belt with your own charms, badges, ribbons, old "jewels" or a completely contrasting buckle. Most craft stores sell needles and tough thread that can pierce skins, hides or thick fabric. For inspiration, look at the embellishments of Australian designers Sass and Bide or the sweetly quirky Italian label Marni.

* Pull an outfit together by having gloves, hat, handbag or even your coat lining match your belt. It’s a much less costly way to be coordinate

Fashion note

Belts look best with:

[*]A close-fitting cable-knit dress

[*]Anything made of stretch silk jersey

[*]A trouser waistline that sits just shy of the waist instead of flush center on it

[*]A very busy skirt with a very plain blouse

[*]A light silk or polished cotton trench coat

[*]A three-quarter-length maxi cardigan

[*]A French-style T-shirt with broad stripes

[*]A beautiful vintage print dress hemmed right to the knee

[*]A pencil skirt cut very high on the waist

Taken from an article by Anna Johnson

Don't know about you guys but I'm a bit tired of the low riders, which by the way were not made for women with real curves. Some of us do got back!!
Thankfully...............

Belts are back this fall!!!

Same here, it's so hard for someone my age to find a decent pair of jeans. It's almost impossible to find a pair of slim/boot cut jeans that aren't low riders. The low riders aren't bad I guess for someone like my daughter who has the figure for it, when I was her age we called them "Hip Huggers". Heaven knows I'm definetly not ready for elastic wasted jeans, but where the heck is the in between? And if I see one more girl who intentionally has her jeans so low so everyone can see her thong, I'm gonna scream, either that or make a sling shot out of her.

WooHoo! I couldnt wear those low riders so that's great that they're gone out of fashion for a while.. They can bring them back in when i lose some weight -LOL!

Hopefully , a big plus would be that we won't have to see as many cracks anymore , I'm getting a little tired of them!

Originally Posted by naturally ohhhhh shuddering at the mere mention of 'CRACKS' ...yes ...what EVER possesses women to show ...CRACK! And some ...SOME shouldn't even bare what they bare! WHEW! Bad enough when you see MEN's Cracks ...LOL JUST SAY NO TO CRACK! totally agree! lol

Hooray. I wore the "low riders" the first time around in the 70s and I sure as heck wasn't going to do it again. I can't wait until these youngsters look at the pictures of themselves in 25 or 30 years and wonder what they were thinking. I have a picture of myself at Busch Gardens in Tampa in 1974 wearing a pair of pick and white check bell bottoms and a pick very short halter top with flowers on each breast that reminds me just how much fashion sense I DID NOT have at the time.

low riders don't work for me...I saw a girl today with the ultimate low rider jeans. They barely covered what was needed. I have to say that it wasn't even attractive. She was really young too though. Her body was ok looking in them but I think she would have been way more attractive covering more.

I am one happy camper today, I went to my local Bealls dept. store and was actually able to find 2 pairs of jeans that fit perfect, amazingly they weren't hard to find either. They are mid waist, boot cut jeans, ever since the style went to low riders I have had a heck of a time finding jeans like this. Hopefully it is a sign that they are starting to realize that not all of us are little flat tummied girls who want to show off everything, just seemed to me that for a while now jean makers were only putting out 2 types of jeans, low riders which I found uncomfortable or jeans like my Mom wore, I think I have a few more years before I switch to elastic waist
icon_lol.gif

Latest posts

Back