The War of The Mascaras

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The War of the Mascaras
Testing popular Mascara brands on various categoriesby Elke Von Freudenberg

Always on the quest for the perfect mascarafor every situation, I can go through at least 3-5 tubes per month when on the job doing photo shoots. And with the wide range of mascaras on the market nowadays, I decided to do a test of some of the most popular brands, as well as some new ones to see if they really were up to the job.

I decided to test all the mascaras on different models during photo shoots, for feedback on how it looked, how well it lasted, and how it was to wash off. I also tested on myself as well, since I have very sensitive eyes, and nothing drives me nuts more than mascara that I can feel. I'm also a great candidate for irritation, since mascara can burn when I wash my face,. So I felt that for those of you with sensitive eyes and skin, I was a good guinea pig.

The mascaras were broken down into price range, from the very cheap, to the very expensive. Is it true when they say the more money you spend, the better quality you get?

Our price range was as followed:

$ Under $ 5.00
$$ $ 5.00 - $10.00 range
$$$ $ 10.00 - $15.00 range
$$$$ $ 15.00 - and Over

We also put our mascaras through some stiff criteria:

1. Application: How did the mascara apply on? Was it gunky? smooth? etc.

2. Feel: How did the product feel on? Was it invisible, with no feel, or super thick that it made you want to wash your face, or rub off the mascara off your eyelashes later in the day?

3. Wear & Tear: How long did the mascara last? Did it disappear in a few hours? Did you feel like you had to reapply?

4. The Look: What effect did the mascara give your lashes? Length? Thickness? Superior color?

5. Wash Off: How was the mascara to remove? Did you feel like you needed a separate product to remove?

6. Irritability: Did the mascara burn, flake, peel off during the day? Did the mascara irritate eyes when removing?

Our rating system is:

**** 4 stars
Excellent! Couldn't ask for anything more.

***3 stars
Pretty Great. Well worth it for the price, or other qualities.

**2 stars
Not bad, could be better, but other qualities might make up for it.

* 1 star
Leaves much to be desired.

0 0 star
Don't even bother! We spent money for THIS?

For a quick Overall Glance. | Read your favorite Brand Name:

| Almay | Clinique | Cover Girl | Lancome | Loreal |Maybelline | Physician' Formula | Revlon | TiGi | Wet & Wild |

Let's put them to the test. Here's the specifics:

ALMAY

"One Coat-Waterproof" $ 5.79

Guaranteed to apply "thick, quick waterproof lashes without clumping in one coat, as well as 100% fragrance free." After applying one coat, I noticed that it went on very smoothly. Two coats did produce a very dark, thickening and lengthening effect, but you do have to brush through. I also noticed the fumes that this mascara produced made my eyes feel like they were going to start watering. After a few minutes it went away. If you're looking for a quick, 1 coat mascara, you might like this one if you're not sensitive. Also, removal was quick and easy.

Price Range: $$ $5.79

Application: *

Feel: **

Wear & Tear: ***

The Look: ***

Wash Off: ***

Irritability: **

CLINIQUE

"Naturally Glossy Mascara"

This mascara goes on super smooth and silky, and looks super natural on. Plus does a good job at darkening lashes and making them look silky. Pluses are virtually no feel at all, no gummy build up, and it lasts great. Wash offs were great with everything washing off, with no burning. But it could do more on the thickness and lengthening. I'd highly recommend it though for a great natural mascara to work out or run to the market in. A definite "more $ is better" mascara.

Price Range: $$ $9.00

Application: ****

Feel: ****

The Look: **

Wash Off: ****

Irritability: ****

COVERGIRL

Professional Waterproof Mascara

In the familiar blue tube, this mascara definitely held up through out the day, made eyelashes super dark and glossy. Only complaint was the gummy feel as it went on and throughout the day. After a few hours, you felt as if you had tar on your lashes. And washing off definitely needed the oily eye makeup remover.

Price Range: $ $4.29

Feel: *

Wash Off: *

Irritability: **

LANCOME

"Aquacils" Waterproof Mascara

If a model friend didn't rave about it so much, I would never have added this expensive mascara to my kit. The price seemed absurd for a mascara that I would be out of in 2-3 weeks, but I gotta admit it, I'm in love. Thickens and darkens your lashes fantastically, goes on super smooth, no irritation, you look like false eyelashes, and the best part, it's waterproof. One coat does wonders, two coats and you're a movie star. Though it takes a bit to remove, it's definitely worth it in my book. Here, your money is definitely well spent. (And yes, I bought an extra one for me!)

Price Range: $$$$ $18.00

The Look: ****

Wash Off: **

Irritability: ***

LOREAL

"Voluminous"

Quoted as "3x Fuller Lashes", I remember when this amazing mascara first came out. Amazing, and yet, they've seemed to have lost some of their quality. But don't get me wrong. This mascara gave fantastic coverage, color, and thickness. And washed off fairly easily with a little residue left over, (*yes, a eye makeup remover was needed to feel extra clean), and I loved the 'no feel' of the product. And the mascara brush was excellent for application. Only thing I could wish for was, better application on. The mascara seemed to apply super thick at the base of the lashes, and then appear to nothing at the ends....Great for super thin eyelashes, and did give a voluminous look, but I'm partial to the look it gave when it first came out. Literally like you had 2 sets of false eyelashes on......sigh.

Price Range: $$ $6.59

Application: ***

Loreal

"Le Grand Curl" $7.25

A Mascara that "curls and lengthens eyelashes in one sweep." Count me in the category of "Yeah right! This I gotta see!" And safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens users as well. Well, low and behold if it didn't do just that......just don't expect drastic miracles. The mascara went on somewhat stiff, with a brush that left much to be desired. But it did create thicker lashes, that seem to have a curled effect. Your eyelash curler can do more, but if you're in a hurry, heh, why not! It lasted fairly well through out the day, but took a bit of elbow grease to get it off.

Price Range: $$ $7.25

Application: **

Feel: **

MAYBELLINE

"Great Lash"

The mascara that all the models use (though they'd like for you to believe), but it's also the mascara that alot of models complain about. Pluses are that they give lashes a natural super glossy dark finish, with a natural look, and long lasting wear. Down side, major irritability when washing off. Nothing like burning eyes when you're trying to wash your face.....

Irritability: *

Maybelline

"Magic Mascara" with Magi curve Brush

Well, the "magic brush" was nice, but not nearly as great as the Voluminous and others....but the application went on smooth and problem free. You got a definite darkening of the lashes, though this mascara paled in the thickness and length category. Also, after about 4 hours, you felt the urge to reapply more mascara. Washing off was a breeze, with no irritation or redness. A nice everyday, throw on mascara, if you're looking for an alternative to the Maybelline Great Lash.

Wear & Tear: *

PHYSICIAN'S FORMULA

Physician's Formula

"Month 2 Month" Mascara Freshness System

The first mascara to try to be irritation free by only giving you a 30 day supply. And you get two tubes to boot. They even give you notice labels so you can note when you first started usage, and toss out after 30 days, used up or not. It took a model friend of mine with super sensitive eyes raving about this for me to see what was up. Physician's Formula always prides itself on being hypo allergenic, fragrance free and dermatologist approved. We tried the Lengthening Formula. After getting extremely frustrated over trying to remove the plastic wrapper (yes, it took 10 minutes,and 1 razor blade later) one very smooth coat gave great darkening to the lashes, with a slight lengthening effect. Not much on the thickening department, but it did look very natural, yet more so. Also, no feel at all, no irritation, a breeze to wash off. A notable contender in the quick and natural mascara look department!

Price Range: $ $4.95

Wash Off: ***

REVLON

Revlon "Lashful Mascara"

Hoping to be a rival to Loreal's "Voluminous", this mascara also boosts lash thickening up to 3x, as well as a feather-light application, and clump, flake and smudge free. Well, it's feather-light, and hassle free, but it doesn't quite live up to the x3. Maybe about a 11/2 x. But it felt great on, washed off fantastic, and no peeling off "cause it feels like tar" effect.

Price Range: $$ $6.29

Application: **

Wear & Tear: ****

TiGi

Toni & Guy "Catwalk Mascara"

Chalk this up to a great first impression and a great name, that goes fizzles fast. The first day we tried this, it looked great, though slightly thicker than normal in feel and application. But in about 3-4 hours, we couldn't wait to peel it off our lashes. And it felt like tar buildup in no time fast. Washing off was okay, but no breeze. The worse part was in about 2-3 weeks, your mascara tube was literally thick and gooey, making it miserable to put on. Forget it.

Price Range: $$$ $11.00

Feel 0

Wear & Tear: **

The Look: 0

WET & WILD

Wet & Wild "Mascara Protein"

Another super natural mascara, to rival that of Clinique's. And at this price, you can't beat it. Goes on great, darkens lashes, though it doesn't do much in the thickening and lengthening department. Washes off great, no irritability, stays on great. If you're looking for an everyday mascara, and don't want to spend the money, go for it.

Price Range: $1.99

Wear & Tear: **

The Look: **

Aw wow! What a great article Diane. I dont have to read through it all now but i've this page bookmarked so i can read it later
smile.gif

AWESOME post Diane! The author did a really great job in writing comprehensive details for the consumer. I'm most interested in the Physician's Formula b/c it sounds very healthy.

Great info Diane! I really like the Clinique Glossy & the "Le grand Curl" by L'Oreal... those 2 seemed to stand out in the endless amts of mascara I've used in my lifetime
wink.gif

Back