Things to know B4 trying a skin peel

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At-Home Skin Peels

Things to know before you trying a skin peel

By Lisa Kovalovich

Skin peels used to be available only at the dermatologist's office or salon. But today, many skincare companies are making at-home peels that give similar results as pro peels for less money and hassle. Here, what you need to know about at-home peels to perform them safely and effectively:

What a peel does: An in-office and at-home peel have the same basic effect: They both exfoliate the skin, dissolving dead, dull cells on the surface, and bringing to light newer, healthier skin cells. This, in turn, gives skin a healthy, rosy look, and, depending on the strength of the active ingredients, minimizes fine lines and pigmentation spots.

How a peel works: Most peels available over the counter are formulated with alpha- and/or beta-hydroxy acids. These may include glycolic acid, salicylic acid, and lactic acid. Unlike traditional skin creams that use similar ingredients, however, peels include these ingredients at higher concentrations, making them more effective at dissolving dead skin cells. Typically, you apply the peel to clean, dry skin (some peels include a brush with which to apply, others use ingredient-saturated pads, and the newest versions use gentle abrading tools). You leave the peel on your skin for the product's recommended time -- you may feel some tingling, mild stinging, or itching for the duration. Then, you apply a neutralizing solution, which makes the ingredients that are actively exfoliating inactive, so you don't exfoliate too much (which could result in a chemical burn). Peel frequency depends on the manufacturer and concentration of active ingredients.

What to do after you peel: Many peel kits come with a moisturizer to apply after the peel, which can soothe any irritation and cool the skin. After peeling, it's crucial to use a sunscreen every time you are in the sun. That's because peeling away the top layer of skin makes you more prone to burning and sun damage. Finally, it's a good idea to avoid using any products with AHAs or BHAs for several days after peeling, as your skin may still be sensitive.

Who should use an at-home peel: Because these products are sold over the counter, they don't generally contain enough active ingredients to do damage to skin -- that means they're safe for most people with normal, combination, slightly dry, or oily skin. If you have blemishes or a skin condition like rosacea, ask your dermatologist if an at-home peel will be safe for you.

Thanks for the info. Diva! I decided about a week ago to try the Neutrogena Advanced Solutions facial peel and have to say I liked the results, it did have a little bit of a stinging sensation when I first put it on but it wasn't anything unbearable. I'm in my 40's and have some sun damage so I'm at the age where these kind of products are very appealing ( no pun intended
icon_lol.gif
). Another product I am using now is ROC deep wrinkle daily moisturizer with SPF 15, after just a week I can really see a nice change in the look and feel of my skin and some of us older gals need all the help we can get.

Oh, good read Shoey. I've never used a peel before.. I'd be afraid i'd pull off my skin or something!!

Hi! I've been wanting to try the Neutrogena facial peel as well, didn't know if I should get that or the L'Oreal microdermabrasion kit. I went to our KMart this weekend to pick up the RoC age defying moisturizer but they don't carry it so I'll have to see if Walgreen's has it. I don't really have wrinkles anywhere except under my eyes & I've been using Olay Total Effects Eye for that, which has been working pretty good but I've heard RoC is better. Ok gotta go but thanks for the info!

Microdermabrasion is a real buzz word at the moment. So far, i dont rate it because women under 39 do not need this unless they have baked their faces in the sun. I just use a product from Elemis called Papaya enzyme peel which does the job fine but i live in England. It may be an old country but the skin on the faces of English women is world renound as being perfect, thats why they use the words " English Rose" to describe our complexions.

Latest posts

Back