This is SO cool!!!!!!!!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wow! Neato!

Oprah's Big Car Giveaway

By Sarah Hall

Oprah Winfrey: reigning queen of daytime talk, book club guru and newly minted automobile fairy.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="1%" align=left border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="99%"><CENTER>
eonlinesmlogo.gif
</CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="1%" bgColor=#ffffcc>•</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc>News: Oprah's guilty verdict</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="1%" bgColor=#ffffcc>•</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc>News: Oprah's on jury duty</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="1%" bgColor=#ffffcc>•</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc>News: Oprah is forever</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=150 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD><CENTER>http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/eo/20040913/thumb.c28a3e4be607cb65317cd8ae9598ca22

E! Online Photo </CENTER>

<!-- http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...4085688653.jpg && (http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...4085688653.jpg ~~ "http") --><!-- SlideshowStart --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><!-- SlideshowPhotoStart --><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2><CENTER>

Reuters </CENTER></TD></TR><!-- SlideshowPhotoEnd --><TR vAlign=top><TD width="1%">
cam.gif
</TD><TD width="99%">Slideshow: Oprah Winfrey</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- SlideshowEnd --><!-- endif --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD><TD width=5> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The gabber celebrated the start of the 19th season of The Oprah Winfrey Show Monday by awarding each of the 276 members of her audience a brand new car.

Teasing her season opener, Winfrey had guaranteed viewers something momentous. She even had an emergency medical crew standing by in case anybody in her audience was overcome by the magnitude of the surprise.

"We're calling this our wildest dream season, because this year on the Oprah show, no dream is too wild, no surprise too impossible to pull off," Winfrey said.

In order to maintain the element of suspense, Winfrey initially called 11 audience members onto the stage and gave each of the elated chosen ones a Pontiac G6.

As the rest of her audience looked on enviously, gift boxes were distributed throughout the crowd and Winfrey told them that one box contained a 12th set of keys.

But when the audience opened the boxes, they each discovered their own set of keys, as Oprah crowed, "Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car!"

Audience members responded by erupting into screams and many began weeping, making for excellent close-up fodder. The group then rushed out to the parking lots at Winfrey's Harpo Studios to check out their new rides, each decorated with a red bow.

Winfrey said she chose her audience members based on testimonials from their friends and family members about their specific needs for a new car. One couple drove a car with more than 400,000 miles on it; another woman drove a car that her son said "looks like she got into a gun fight."

Gifting her audience with cars wasn't the only act of generosity Winfrey performed in her opener. In another segment on the show, she surprised a 20-year-old girl who grew up in foster homes and homeless shelters with a four-year college scholarship, a makeover and a $10,000 shopping spree.

Winfrey also aided a family with eight foster children on the verge of being kicked out of the house they were renting by giving them $130,000 to buy and repair the home.

If 19 seasons on the air rates each audience member a new car, it's hard to imagine what Winfrey will be giving away when she hits season 25—the yakker recently extended her contract to keep hosting her syndicated chatfest through 2011.

I just read that too!!! I'm one of her biggest fans,so I've been dying to find out what the big secret today was. She is wonderful, wish I was in the audience!

Originally Posted by Californian Wow! Neato!
Oprah's Big Car Giveaway

By Sarah Hall

Oprah Winfrey: reigning queen of daytime talk, book club guru and newly minted automobile fairy.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="1%" align=left border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="99%"><CENTER>
eonlinesmlogo.gif
</CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="1%" bgColor=#ffffcc>•</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc>News: Oprah's guilty verdict</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="1%" bgColor=#ffffcc>•</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc>News: Oprah's on jury duty</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="1%" bgColor=#ffffcc>•</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc>News: Oprah is forever</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=150 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD><CENTER>http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/eo/20040913/thumb.c28a3e4be607cb65317cd8ae9598ca22

E! Online Photo </CENTER>

<!-- http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...4085688653.jpg && (http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...4085688653.jpg ~~ "http") --><!-- SlideshowStart --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><!-- SlideshowPhotoStart --><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2><CENTER>

Reuters </CENTER>

</TD></TR><!-- SlideshowPhotoEnd --><TR vAlign=top><TD width="1%">
cam.gif
</TD><TD width="99%">Slideshow: Oprah Winfrey</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- SlideshowEnd --><!-- endif -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD><TD width=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The gabber celebrated the start of the 19th season of The Oprah Winfrey Show Monday by awarding each of the 276 members of her audience a brand new car.

Teasing her season opener, Winfrey had guaranteed viewers something momentous. She even had an emergency medical crew standing by in case anybody in her audience was overcome by the magnitude of the surprise.

"We're calling this our wildest dream season, because this year on the Oprah show, no dream is too wild, no surprise too impossible to pull off," Winfrey said.

In order to maintain the element of suspense, Winfrey initially called 11 audience members onto the stage and gave each of the elated chosen ones a Pontiac G6.

As the rest of her audience looked on enviously, gift boxes were distributed throughout the crowd and Winfrey told them that one box contained a 12th set of keys.

But when the audience opened the boxes, they each discovered their own set of keys, as Oprah crowed, "Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car!"

Audience members responded by erupting into screams and many began weeping, making for excellent close-up fodder. The group then rushed out to the parking lots at Winfrey's Harpo Studios to check out their new rides, each decorated with a red bow.

Winfrey said she chose her audience members based on testimonials from their friends and family members about their specific needs for a new car. One couple drove a car with more than 400,000 miles on it; another woman drove a car that her son said "looks like she got into a gun fight."

Gifting her audience with cars wasn't the only act of generosity Winfrey performed in her opener. In another segment on the show, she surprised a 20-year-old girl who grew up in foster homes and homeless shelters with a four-year college scholarship, a makeover and a $10,000 shopping spree.

Winfrey also aided a family with eight foster children on the verge of being kicked out of the house they were renting by giving them $130,000 to buy and repair the home.

If 19 seasons on the air rates each audience member a new car, it's hard to imagine what Winfrey will be giving away when she hits season 25—the yakker recently extended her contract to keep hosting her syndicated chatfest through 2011.

I think it is great that someone so rich and famous can be so generous. That just shows us that not everyone forgets where they came from. I think she really does care about others and this isn't just a publicity stunt.

I love Oprah. She's always got surprises for the audience. I just wish I had been there for a car cause that's something I really need right now! My car hasn't been on the road for................. I don't even know how long. It's been a loooooong time though.*sigh* oh well.

I totally agree with you, katrink. The article shows how much effort went into finding just the right viewers to be the lucky car winners. It seems her efforts have a lot of thought and caring in them. Good for her!!

Originally Posted by katrink I think it is great that someone so rich and famous can be so generous. That just shows us that not everyone forgets where they came from. I think she really does care about others and this isn't just a publicity stunt.

It was just on the 6 O'Clock news here in Ireland. Isn't she so generous (almost as nice as you Kitty!!) Wish i was sitting in that audience!

Thanks Laura! That's so sweet of you.
icon_redface.gif

Speaking of how freakin' nice I am (j/k LOL) I'm making my husband jaeger schnitzel tonight. How he LOVES that stuff! I'm chilling the Auslese wine right now...

Originally Posted by laura127 It was just on the 6 O'Clock news here in Ireland. Isn't she so generous (almost as nice as you Kitty!!) Wish i was sitting in that audience!

Latest posts

Back