tips for soothing ouchy feet?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my new job requires a lot of time on my feet. aside from insoles and foot stretches, is there anything i can to to help prevent the pain and treat it? i have a foot massager, but i was wondering if stuff like epsom salt soaks really do "pull out" the pain. if so, do you guys have any recipes for fun foot soaks?

I do makeup events and have to stand on marble floors for 7+ hours. Oh the horror!! For days where I wear the wrong shoes, I love doing the epsom salt soak with very warm water. I do this for about 15-20 minutes while watching tv. (I use plastic buckets - one for each foot.) After I dry my feet, I massage them with BenGay and put some socks on.
redface.gif

For prevention, I wear moderate to short heels with sturdy soles and good toe room. Boring, eh? The insoles and foot stretches you mentioned are also excellent.

Also, your feet will get somewhat used to the standing after a few weeks.

Edited to delete some silly typos!
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by haloinrverse my new job requires a lot of time on my feet. aside from insoles and foot stretches, is there anything i can to to help prevent the pain and treat it? i have a foot massager, but i was wondering if stuff like epsom salt soaks really do "pull out" the pain. if so, do you guys have any recipes for fun foot soaks? I can honestly say that epson salts worked for me. I had standing jobs throughout college and what I did was pour about 1/4 - 1/2 cup epsom salts into the bath water. Then I sat on the ledge and just soaked my feet while I read. Also keep feet up if they are swollen. Sometimes that's why they hurt.If you cannot wear comfy shoes, at least look for the better made brands that are kinder to feet like Easy Spirit or Naturalizer.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by AromaGirl <!--StartFragment -->I agree epsom salt and hot water is amazing and does wonders for achey tired feet.
Here's a little treat for your feet
smile.gif

REFRESH YOUR FEET

-first, cleanse your feet with equal parts fresh lemon juice & water

-have this homemade scrub recipe ready to use:

make a paste with a handful of very ripe strawberries, a bit of olive oil, fresh lime or lemon juice, honey & kosher salt

-Massage into feet, rinse & repeat w/lemon juice & water mixture, aahhh...

Hi AromaG,I am wondering... why do you think they suggest Kosher salt? And what is the differnce in appearace and ingredients between kosher salts and other salts?

201banner5.jpg

Hi Cali! The difference between Epsom salt and kosher salt (and other table salts) is that Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate, not a sodium. Kosher salt is sodium chloride free of additives, such as iodine. I'm a big fan of Kosher salt and use it frequently in pork and turkey marinating. YUM!!!

Originally Posted by Californian Hi AromaG,I am wondering... why do you think they suggest Kosher salt? And what is the differnce in appearace and ingredients between kosher salts and other salts?

201banner5.jpg

Originally Posted by AromaGirl Oh, you can use any salt really, the kosher salt has bigger crystals and is a staple in many kitchens, but any salt (or sugar) will do.
For using on food and cooking, they say there is quite a difference in taste from regular table salt, and it has no iodine (I think).

Thanks for the info. I wonder if kosher salt tastes better in recipes!? I have often wondered about kosher foods and what that means. I thought it meant that a food is not prepared using any ingredients from animals. Not sure. I'll have to ask my Jewish friend.
bbdonno.gif

thanks everyone.
smile.gif
ill definitely start doing epsom soaks, and ill have to try that strawberry scrub!

i was on my feet a lot during school, but not for 8 hours straight, so im hoping i get more used to it!

kosher salt has less of a metallic taste than iodized salt, but not as much taste as a salt like fleur de sel, which is full of other minerals that give it a distinct taste.

its called kosher salt because its used in koshering, and is kosher. if you look closely at packaged foods, there will be a circled k or p, indicating that foods are kosher. the animals have to be processed a certain way, and overseen by a rabbi. kosher salt dissolves more evenly, and doesnt have anti caking agents and stuff like that. iodine waqs added to salt to prevent gout, but thats not a problem in the US anymore.

Originally Posted by haloinrverse thanks everyone.
smile.gif
ill definitely start doing epsom soaks, and ill have to try that strawberry scrub!
i was on my feet a lot during school, but not for 8 hours straight, so im hoping i get more used to it!

kosher salt has less of a metallic taste than iodized salt, but not as much taste as a salt like fleur de sel, which is full of other minerals that give it a distinct taste.

its called kosher salt because its used in koshering, and is kosher. if you look closely at packaged foods, there will be a circled k or p, indicating that foods are kosher. the animals have to be processed a certain way, and overseen by a rabbi. kosher salt dissolves more evenly, and doesnt have anti caking agents and stuff like that. iodine waqs added to salt to prevent gout, but thats not a problem in the US anymore.

Excellent! I am now edified! Tx for the info, Halo.

well, salts are an ionic compound with one negative ion and one positive ion. epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, (magnesium is a pos ion, and sulfate is a neg ion) so it is chemically a salt. unless i misunderstand what you meant?

Being totally obsessed with Lush i can recommend a few products that you can use as an amazing foot routine: Try the Volcano Foot Mask: it's warming and spicy and a real treat to use Pied de Pepper Foot Lotion: Another spicy cream that goes well with volcano Running to the Embassy: a minty, scrubby foot bar Fair Trade Foot Lotion: a minty foot lotion that makes my feet so soft and smooth it's unbelievable. Using these products, i can really sooth my aching feet after a hard dance lesson (or just standing around in 5 inch heels all night!)

Hi Haloinverse, Why not treat your hard worked tootsies to a relaxing foot spa. You can use all your footie products and its perfect for relaxing and before doing a pedicure. Some of the foot spa's nowadays can be pure luxury with all the different features,like a foot massage with bubbles, infa red heat and attachments with different nodules to rub the arch of your foot on.

ive had my eye on a foot spa with the heat and bubbles and all that, but i think that one of those foot massager things would be even better. they look kind of like a scale, but they vibrate and you push your feet onto them.

the first time i ever saw them was in japan. they seem to work really well. the only disadvantage is that they wiggle away from your after a few minutes.

im getting more used to standing for 7 hours straight, but by the end of the week, my feet are screaming. lol.

Originally Posted by candy Hi Haloinverse,Why not treat your hard worked tootsies to a relaxing foot spa. You can use all your footie products and its perfect for relaxing and before doing a pedicure. Some of the foot spa's nowadays can be pure luxury with all the different features,like a foot massage with bubbles, infa red heat and attachments with different nodules to rub the arch of your foot on.

Latest posts

Back